Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Cecilff2

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Cecilff2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

Playing heavy is about knowing when to attack and knowing when to retreat.

Long distance you're outclassed by demos, soldiers, and of course snipers(Flare pyros tend to harass you at this range too). You can join in on an assault to help keep them from pushing forward but you don't want an extended conflict with these guys at long range. Your gun is inaccurate and the damage falloff makes it very impractical.

At short to mid range heavy demolishes everything, just look behind you now and then for the inevitable spy. This is for the most part still valid. You can sub in a sandvich for a medic(Don't forget you can throw it for a quicker 150 health instead of eating it for full), but people do fine with the shotgun too. Learn when to spin and when to run and you become quite deadly.

Edit: At mid range you may want to be cautious of demos still. Some are pretty good with their stickies and can still take you out, in which case you retreat and subsequently ambush them.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

I don't like playing heavy so much because it feels like everyone targets you :(

Payload maps are my favorite time to play heavy, though. You just jump on the cart and become a turret.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

Defending your own medipack with backup can really make you a force to contend with when playing heavy. :D
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

I don't know what it is about me and medics, but they never seem to like to stay with me. My guess is its probably because I don't spam the medic button like everyone else... I get a lot of kills and usually defend the medic, unless its a complete surprise (crit-rowkets...).

On soldier I understand it, because I love rocket jumping and the medic can't follow me. I wont ditch the medic if its just me and him, but I do prefer my jumps. Actually, I think I get healed most as huntsman sniper, and I'm not sure why.

What do you guys think of some of the Beta weapons?
Quickfix and the new flare gun specifically? Here is a video if you haven't seen them. Sorry its not in English.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

Quickfix is interesting. I've been trying it out but I haven't found any servers with decent players on it to see if it can actually stand up to good players. Being able to use a scout to get the medic to the frontlines is pretty neat.

The flare gun I had trouble with as the server I was on had some lag so it'd often not even detonate at all. I didn't see any negative to it compared to the flare gun so why would anyone not use it(If they don't prefer shotgun of course)

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

Cecilff2 wrote:Quickfix is interesting. I've been trying it out but I haven't found any servers with decent players on it to see if it can actually stand up to good players. Being able to use a scout to get the medic to the frontlines is pretty neat.

The flare gun I had trouble with as the server I were on had some lag so it'd often not even detonate at all. I didn't see any negative to it compared to the flare gun so why might anyone not use it(If they don't prefer shotgun o' course)
Quickfix would suck as-is. Might be ok if it was a straight up speed bonus without needing a scout to be around exactly when you spawn. Sacrificing overheals for speed (when you're already as fast as everything but a scout) would probably be poor even then though.

Also, flares don't detonate...?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

The beta flaregun thing works sorta like a rocket flare. I guess its really more like a firework gun >.>

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Cecilff2 wrote:Quickfix is interesting. I've been trying it out but I haven't found any servers with decent players on it to see if it can actually stand up to good players. Being able to use a scout to get the medic to the frontlines is pretty neat.

Does this work with a charging demoman?

The immunity to force should be interesting, but you'll be able to just snipe the medic...
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:07 am UTC

been playing a lot lately..

Had a question about UBERcharge.

I must be doing something wrong, because generally after I ubercharge, I die instantly as me and my target rush out to charge a sentry.

Do you have to hold the right mouse button? Not hold it? Does it take a second to build up and actually protect you?

Also, I never see my heal target turn bright colored when I am medic. Are they still charged?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 am UTC

Are you using the normal medigun? Or the Kritzkrieg? You shouldn't have to hold the right mouse and it should deploy instantly.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:33 am UTC

if they aren't turning a metallic color you're doing it wrong.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:34 am UTC

Man, I love playing Heavy. Me and Tanya as a Heavy/Medic team was a thing of beauty. I dominated an entire team that day.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:26 am UTC

We should re-live those times. There was epic when I medic'd for ninjaswordftw over the weekend.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote:

Does this work with a charging demoman?

The immunity to force should be interesting, but you'll be able to just snipe the medic...

Not sure, haven't tried it with a demoknight. But, I'm agreeing on the no overheal con. It's just too much of a drawback. The quicker ubercharges and heal rate are nice, but since it's so easy to get good damage spikes, your target typically takes an unlucky shot and dies, leaving you fending for yourself.

For the detonator, I just had to get used to detonating it ahead of time.(Just lag adjustment on my end)

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I must be doing something wrong, because generally after I ubercharge, I die instantly as me and my target rush out to charge a sentry.

Just make sure you are using medigun and that you don't change weapons. If you change weapons it will deactivate but still drain your charge (you can reactivate it by switching back if you still have charge left). Also, I prefer to use the option that keeps healing my target without having to hold down left-click, it makes playing medic so much more relaxing!

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Also, I prefer to use the option that keeps healing my target without having to hold down left-click, it makes playing medic so much more relaxing!
Better reason: If you have auto-on when you're healing someone with kritzkreig you can taunt-heal yourself while still medicing someone (if they don't run out of range).

Incidentally, kritz taunt-heal is really nice if a pyro sets you on fire. :mrgreen:

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

Yeah, kritz taunt-healing is literally a life saver. I've had to use it when scouts bum rush me with boston basher and my health drops dangerously low.

You can also save yourself with the amputator taunt I think, but you don't get ubercharge for that.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

llamanaru wrote:Are you using the normal medigun? Or the Kritzkrieg? You shouldn't have to hold the right mouse and it should deploy instantly.

I use the heal gun that builds up uber 25% faster.

I do keep healing the entire time, I dont switch weapons.. I just hit the right mouse button and keep healing. I have also tried holding both buttons.

I have never seen my target turn metallic.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
llamanaru wrote:Are you using the normal medigun? Or the Kritzkrieg? You shouldn't have to hold the right mouse and it should deploy instantly.
That's the kritzkreig. It' causes your target to get all criticals. It does NOT make you invulnerable.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

Also, I'm 99% sure that criticals don't do bonus damage to buildings. You'll know someone has kritz-uber because their gun gets the metallic glow, and their shots are glowy as per usual with critical attacks.

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

There is now a community made female spy... I wonder if it'll make it into the game.

guyy

Postby guyy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

So, there's some kind of surreal tinfoil-hat-bestowing puzzle thing going on right now, all seemingly based around a hat with a potato on it. And the official wiki is now the "[censored]Potato[/censored] Wiki."

I guess Valve's finally lost it. "It" being their potato-shaped marbles.

theknownuniverse

Postby theknownuniverse » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:00 am UTC

Ixtellor wrote:

I do keep healing the entire time, I dont switch weapons.. I just hit the right mouse button and keep healing. I have also tried holding both buttons.

I have never seen my target turn metallic.

Also, it has to be 100% charged before you can use it. You'll know when it's charged by a) the charge meter in the bottom right hand corner of your screen reaches 100% and will flash b) the medic will announce "I am fully charged" and c) the tip of your medigun of choice will start sparking. Also remember that different mediguns do different things when you uber people with them, so plan accordingly. Don't use the kritzkreig if you're attacking a sentry-it will be totally ineffective.

Also, guyy, yes valve is doing an ARG. The last time they did something like this (about a year ago) it was building up to the announcement of portal 2. So keep your eyes peeled.

Rek

Postby Rek » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:08 am UTC

The most glorious backpack I have ever seen.

How do you even do that? I mean seriously? Short of buying them all with real money I can't even imagine. Really.
What the shit.
Words Win Wars

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

That would be annoying to sort through when you want to change your loadout.

Larry

Postby Larry » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

Rek wrote:The most glorious backpack I have ever seen.

How do you even do that? I mean seriously? Short of buying them all with real money I can't even imagine. Really.
What the shit.

pffft, he doesn't even have a vintage ubersaw. What a scrub.

Really though, that's quite a lot of hats...

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

Rek wrote:The most glorious backpack I have ever seen.

What the shit.

I recall seeing some guy's backpack with half a page of nothing but Max heads, and 101 named earbuds (one of each level from 0-100). And of course piles and piles of other hats, paint, etc. (Edit: And here it is in all its absurdity. 114 earbuds, 27 max heads, 10 soldier medals, 9 unusual hats, and 3 of those hats for doing every single thing in that "treasure hunt" from a while back. Sheesh.)

I think most of those people bought about 100 copies of TF2 when it was ~$2.50, and now they just idle with all those accounts continuously to get enough junk to trade for "valuable" stuff on one account.
Last edited by guyy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:52 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

I don't even understand how hat economy works. Maxs head does not look appealing to me, and neither do the earbuds.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

guyy wrote:I think most of those people bought about 100 copies of TF2 when it was ~$2.50, and now they just idle with all those accounts continuously to get enough junk to trade for "valuable" stuff on one account.

Just wait until it is inevitably made free one day, shit'll be insane.
Signatures are for chumps.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:03 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:
guyy wrote:I think most of those people bought about 100 copies of TF2 when it was ~$2.50, and now they just idle with all those accounts continuously to get enough junk to trade for "valuable" stuff on one account.

Just wait until it is inevitably made free one day, shit'll be insane.

I'm not sure they will - Valve isn't making it free because otherwise VAC bans would be meaningless.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

theknownuniverse

Postby theknownuniverse » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:44 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I don't even understand how hat economy works. Maxs head does not look appealing to me, and neither do the earbuds.

It's economics. Max heads and earbuds are very rare, and they will not make any more. They are valuable on the virtues of their limited supply.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:09 am UTC

theknownuniverse wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:I don't even understand how hat economy works. Maxs head does not look appealing to me, and neither do the earbuds.

It's economics. Max heads and earbuds are very rare, and they will not make any more. They are valuable on the virtues of their limited supply.

You speak as if they "make" more.
You mean, they will not unlock more. ;)
Even then you do not own them. So perhaps the correct term is to digitally lease?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:14 am UTC

Technical Ben wrote:You mean, they will not unlock more. ;)

Technically, they will set a value somewhere on some server to something.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:59 am UTC

Costs a total of £12.99 per bit of data! :wink:

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

My stats are really weird, on reflection.
Spoiler:
2011-04-10_00001.jpg

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

How did you get 52 kills in one life as a heavy???? My best kills are 18, can't imagine going that much higher.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

A trio of really stupid engineers on Hightower kept on running at me, directly outside spawn, from the same entrance while a medic healed me for thirty kills or so, and I got the rest while getting the Cart from the bottom of the ramp to capped.
Last edited by Box Boy on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

Heavy's my least played class, and I've got 51 so it's the highest on the performance report :D That was because I was playing a server with just a few people and it went into quasi-hale mode -- I did 9000 or so damage and regenerated 100 health a second as a heavy with the HHHH.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

Last night I was dominating as a heavy by eating a steak and running around with iron fists. It was a pretty relaxed game, but hilarious to see people that don't realize iron fists will negate a large portion of their ranged damage. Usually I reserve that strategy for a zombie fortress game, but it worked and was hilarious.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

The fists of steel are a bit weird though - they're an unexpected special case where you have to fight against them completely differently. Dealing 750 damage with ranged weapons isn't feasible for any solo class (except perhaps another heavy?) and even if they react properly they're up against some pretty nasty melee damage. The steak is unexpected too. There were big changes like that previously (targe for example) but they came with giant patches where everyone used them for a while. Not really surprised people don't do that well against it, anyway.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Return to “Gaming”