Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Menacing Spike

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

There was a heavy that used brass beast. He could take me down quite easily if he saw me coming.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:The fists of steel are a bit weird though - they're an unexpected special case where you have to fight against them completely differently. Dealing 750 damage with ranged weapons isn't feasible for any solo class (except perhaps another heavy?) and even if they react properly they're up against some pretty nasty melee damage. The steak is unexpected too. There were big changes like that previously (targe for example) but they came with giant patches where everyone used them for a while. Not really surprised people don't do that well against it, anyway.

I love fists of steel heavies when I play Pyro. One puff and then comes the 400-or-so damage Axtinguish.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:13 am UTC

Yeah, I still find it odd that the classes that can consistently 1-shot a fists of steel heavy (axtinguisher pyro, targe demo... spy?) can get killed by a single crit in return. Anyway it's not that they're overpowered, just that they're not intuitive.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

I dislike the katana. That thing crits soooo much, and people keep feeding the demo-samurai victims to heal himself with. I usually prefer to just airblast them into a corner for juggling and laugh as they can't do anything. But no, not the teammates... they must sacrifice themselves to the crit-tana and heal him.

I used to be able to powerjack demoknights fairly easily, but I've been critted too many times by the katana for me to try that anymore.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:42 am UTC

New Patch!
http://www.teamfortress.com/hatless/

I think they nailed the item balancing. Biggest change is to the backburner, which can now airblast! Eyelander can now crit, but does 25% less damage, Fists of Steel nerfed pretty hard.

Added new "Sort by Rarity" option for sorting backpack items
Improved the backpack sorting algorithms
Added "styles" for the Ghastlier Gibus, Scotsman's Stove Pipe, Treasure Hat, Hat of Undeniable Wealth And Respect, and the Googly Gazer
Added paint preview to the preview section when shopping for hats
Updated the Googly Gazer to be paintable
Added new paint styles to the Pyromancer's Mask
Items in the action slot won't be swapped until returning to a supply cabinet
Replaced the no-crit attribute with -25% damage on the following:
The Eyelander, The Gunslinger, The Southern Hospitality, The Powerjack (also added +20% melee vulnerability)
The Horseless Headless Horseman's Headtaker, The Ullapool Caber, The Claidheamohmor
Dalokohs Bar
Removed item cool down meter and ammo count when using the Dalokohs Bar
Fists of Steel
Increase deploy times 20%
Ranged damage reduced 40% (down from 60%)
Loch-n-Load
Damage increased by 10%
Equalizer
Tuned high-end damage range so it's no longer possible to one-shot certain classes
Suppress the medic call effect while active
Battalion’s Backup
Reduced rage generation rate by 50%
Concheror
Damage-to-health conversion increased to 35% (from 20%)
Mad Milk
Heal 60% of damage done (down from 75%)
Sun-on-a-Stick
Base damage lowered slightly but guarantees crits against burning players instead of mini-crits
Fan O’ War
Marking someone for death now lasts 15 seconds (from 10 seconds)
Flaregun
Flares always crit burning targets, regardless of range
Backburner
Removed the restriction on airblast
Ammo cost increased 150% (4 blasts at full ammo)
Damage bonus reduced to 10% (from 15%)
Sydney Sleeper:
Charge rate increased 25%
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:40 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I dislike the katana. That thing crits soooo much, and people keep feeding the demo-samurai victims to heal himself with. I usually prefer to just airblast them into a corner for juggling and laugh as they can't do anything. But no, not the teammates... they must sacrifice themselves to the crit-tana and heal him.

I used to be able to powerjack demoknights fairly easily, but I've been critted too many times by the katana for me to try that anymore.

Well, they just fixed the katana crit bug so you can go back to hammering them in the face :D

Of course the powerjack has changed now too. And the fists of steel are less devastatingly impervious to ranged weapons, yay! Overall the bonuses seem pretty good. The flare gun will be nasty, though. I'm going to have to learn to use it and learn to kill pyros without the shotty...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:57 am UTC

I am definitely loving the flaregun change. I used to have to back up 40 feet before spamming flares. Now I can just do it in their face :D

Edit: It seems they broke the loadout with this update. This makes me sad :(
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

Rek

Postby Rek » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:58 am UTC

Backburner buff? Yes.
Sleeper buff? Yes.
Flaregun buff? Yes.
Caber buff? Yes.
Souther Hospitality Nerf? :(
Words Win Wars

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

Rek wrote:Souther Hospitality Nerf? :(

I think it's slightly more balanced now, if it were to get four shells and -20% damage, however, I'd be much happier.
Signatures are for chumps.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

I'm pretty sad about buff to sleeper, but I'll have to try playing before I pass judgement on changing No-Crits to -25% damage. I still hate pee snipers though.

Box Boy wrote:
Rek wrote:Souther Hospitality Nerf? :(

I think it's slightly more balanced now, if it were to get four shells and -20% damage, however, I'd be much happier.

Shells for the knife-wrench? Maybe you're thinking frontier justice.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I'm pretty sad about buff to sleeper, but I'll have to try playing before I pass judgement on changing No-Crits to -25% damage. I still hate pee snipers though.
WAIT.
It got THAT?!?
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO MORE OP PISS SNIPERS!
I've been wanting that since it came out!
broken_escalator wrote:Shells for the knife-wrench? Maybe you're thinking frontier justice.
:oops:

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:WAIT.
It got THAT?!?

I think he misspoke - Sleeper just a buff to it's charge rate.

What's with the battalion's backup nerf anyway? Seems a bit harsh.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Yeah the no-crits to -25% damage was on all the other weapons like eyelander or ullapool. I probably should have split that out of that sentence but oh well!

And yeah I have no idea why the backup would need anything other than a buff. I vastly prefer conqueror or buff banner if I'm not using gunboats.

Gosh darned pee snipers.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:I'm pretty sad about buff to sleeper, but I'll have to try playing before I pass judgement on changing No-Crits to -25% damage. I still hate pee snipers though.
WAIT.
It got THAT?!?

The piss snipers got buffed. broken_escalator's post is kind of misleading because it talks about entirely different changes in the same sentence.

Changes to the Sydney Sleeper:
*Charge rate increased 25%
Changes to The Eyelander, The Gunslinger, The Southern Hospitality, The Powerjack, The Horseless Headless Horseman's Headtaker, The Ullapool Caber, The Claidheamohmor:
*No-crit attribute replaced with -25% damage
Additional change to the Powerjack:
*20% melee vulnerability added
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote:I think he misspoke - Sleeper just a buff to it's charge rate.

nowfocus wrote:Sleeper just a buff to it's charge rate.

nowfocus wrote:just a buff to it's charge rate.

nowfocus wrote: a buff to

nowfocus wrote:buff

*sobs*

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

Now you can get body-shotted 25% more often by pee snipers. Oh yes!

But then again, flaregun might be able to take out snipers super quick now. I haven't tried it yet but I've heard it is really strong now.

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

I...guess I just don't see what the big deal is with the pee-sniper buff. I pretty much never see pee-snipers except on Orange-X maps, so they can't have been all that powerful before...?

The flaregun buff is definitely good, though. Maybe people will actually use the darned thing now.

Also, this.
Last edited by guyy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

Its not that pee snipers are good, they are just frustrating. They like to just stand somewhere, charge up and then attempt to shoot someone. A good sniper with vanilla rifle is a lot more powerful, but at least when he headshots me I feel like he did a little effort.

But I just hate snipers in general. Unless they are the ballsy kind that do more than just sit in the back. Always a pleasant surprise watching a huntsman sniper push the cart to finish.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Its not that pee snipers are good, they are just frustrating. They like to just stand somewhere, charge up and then attempt to shoot someone. A good sniper with vanilla rifle is a lot more powerful, but at least when he headshots me I feel like he did a little effort.

But I just hate snipers in general. Unless they are the ballsy kind that do more than just sit in the back. Always a pleasant surprise watching a huntsman sniper push the cart to finish.

I hate them because of the 'no headshot' bonus - it's kinda strange now all things considered. Still - unless I'm another sniper I'd much rather face a pee sniper than any other kind - Only time it's more useful is against a heavy who can just be headshotted anyways.

For me, I wish the game seriously nerfed demoman. I generally stayed away from the class until recently - easiest. kills. ever. Just fire stickies at the next spot the enemy is going to be then spam grenades and hope. Defending points is comical. Suggest nerf: No crit grenades after bounce.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

I know what you mean, stickydemos are pretty annoying to face. They're really bad 90% of the time, but usually they're camping somewhere and kaboom! It's always fun when they panic and try to kill with stickies but you can just walk past them before the stickies explode and then proceed to melee the stickydemo. Very rarely do I find stickydemos that know how to use the other weapons in his loadout.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

Demomen murder everything mid-range, but they're kind of vulnerable to ambushes (if you're watching your stickies) and they're outclassed by pyros/evenly matched with scouts short range, and get outclassed by soldiers/snipers/flaregun pyros long range.

Edit: Ninja'd by escalator!

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

I might need to try the loch-n-load out.

My friend is good at nailing people's faces with grenades and he was saying he's really enjoying the update so far...

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

OH GOD YES. I love the loch'n'load update -- Oneshots for light classes <3. Good thing I had it on before the loadouts broke.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

I haven't tried it yet, but I love the change to the flaregun. It's exactly what I thought they should do. Flareing people is so fun, but it was very underpowered compared to the other weapons. It's not like a 45-damage minicrit for hitting twice was even that much. The backburner change is pretty interesting. I thought it did too much damage before, so it'll be interesting to see how it does now. Giving it airblast also gives me some incentive to use the thing.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:27 am UTC

Numzane wrote:I haven't tried it yet, but I love the change to the flaregun. It's exactly what I thought they should do. Flareing people is so fun, but it was very underpowered compared to the other weapons. It's not like a 45-damage minicrit for hitting twice was even that much. The backburner change is pretty interesting. I thought it did too much damage before, so it'll be interesting to see how it does now. Giving it airblast also gives me some incentive to use the thing.

I'm definitely appreciative of the buff, but it wasn't really needed -- Generally I already used it only when I was backing the hell up anyways, it was just frustrating when I happened to be too close and it didn't guarantee me a dead Engie. That said: USEFUL BACKBURNER SQUEE~~~. I was suspicious of the "4 airblast limit" but I've found it mainly means I can't go on puff'n'sting sprees or spam it reflecting rockets. I can, however, still pocket pyro for engineers (/w dispenser) and extinguish people. It always hurt so much to see a scout with 15 hp run up to me and I have to go "Backburner :'(" in chat. Seriously, I had Shift+F bound to that.

(F for Fail.)

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

I am addicted to Pyro now. Burning up spies and medics feels amazing.

Had some great games as spy recently where I just run to enemy spawn and take out all the teleporters, getting a few kills along the way. I need that dagger where you take your victims identity, until then I find killing in groups is just suicide, so I like to just sabotage.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Rek

Postby Rek » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:50 am UTC

Yeah, the YER is great for chainstabs. It's pretty much the only knife I use but I'll go on an occasional spree with the normal knife.
But not the Kunai.
Never again.
:x
Words Win Wars

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:02 am UTC

I finally got the kunai so I'll have to test it - based on other encounters using just the regular loadout, it could improve some significantly (eg. having me stab even more people and end up alive, not dead.) I expect to have to switch back after a couple of those chains though :P

EDIT: The kunai works well for me, generally running into a group and stabbing a couple of people lets you escape. Chainstabs get hilarious, especially when a couple of people are not really able to stop you despite their best efforts. Of course, something like a revolver duel will end badly unless you're already buffed. On the other hand it relies very heavily on not getting spotted on your way in.

Website

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:OH GOD YES. I love the loch'n'load update -- Oneshots for light classes <3. Good thing I had it on before the loadouts broke.

After using loch'n'load for nearly a week, I do love it waaaay more than normal grenade launcher. I never really felt proficient as the grenade launcher, but withe the loch'n'load I actually hit my targets. Also, I don't have to feel bad about demospam because I only have 2 shots that break on contact!

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:34 am UTC

Well, I finally managed to procure myself a pink Whiskered Gentleman. It only took me 10 hours of negotiations and multiple red-paper-clip-style trades to get all the requisite materials until 3 ref for a Whiskered Gentleman and 2 reclaimed for Pink as Hell. Literally ten hours, although spending that much time on trade servers & the trade forums gives you a much clearer picture of item values in the TF2 world. My pink camera beard was much easier though, since I dropped a camera beard and had Pink as Hell lying around from some previous trade.

tl;dr -- The trading minigame is as exciting as Farmville.

Rek

Postby Rek » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

Words Win Wars

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

I don't get it. Do these people just up and blow a whole paycheck on keys or something? I can't imagine anyone getting *that* much wealth in just 4 years -- After 3 months I have a pink camera beard, a pink Whiskered gentleman, and a handful of painted parasites.

Of course, maybe he performs some expensive service such as this.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Rek wrote:Gentlemen.

I hope that person paid £12.99 for every one of those hats. Just because it would be hilarious if so! :lol:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

They're all tradable, so no :P He may, however, have bought 100 keys for $250 and used that 200 refined metal to get those hats.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

I'm betting he got a couple dozen accounts when the game was 2.50 and has been idling/trading between them like fucking crazy ever since.

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:36 am UTC

Oh yeah, Pink Taco's one of my server's regulars. He spends money and makes people happy. He's easily dropped a grand in a single day; either that or he's a developer. Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:15 am UTC

I would, if it was not zero sum (almost).
I even complained to someone who gifted me a game over steam recently. They did not ask if I liked it. And so waisted it. :/ I guess it's one of the free ones/doubles from the potato pack. But still, could have gone to someone who wanted it. :|

I just look at the skins to Portal 2 and cry a little. We were doing better skins in Minecraft for free. Or back when I was in school, on MS paint and whatever game it was.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

Just changed up my TF2 install - ever since my play has been through the roof. If you want performance/awesomeness improvements check here
To up your FPS - these start up scripts are useful: http://www.fakkelbrigade.eu/chris/configs/

Also, check out this TRON mod - it's so much fun. Here is a video of it in action:
http://video.alienwarearena.com/movie/1 ... N_FORTRESS

And here is where you download it: http://tf2tron.blogspot.com/

Most of the maps haven't been modded yet, but the characters have. Besides looking great, I think it's making aiming a bit more easier.

A combination of the FPS script, the TRON mod, or finishing the Milkman set, but since I started using these my scout play is through the roof.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri May 06, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

Sig'd.

Return to “Gaming”