Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:14 am UTC

1hitcombo wrote:Never tried them it seems like they just become deathmatch servers
The problem being? I play the game to run out and kill stuff, not to sit around waiting to spawn. If I wanted to do that I'd play CS:S.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:59 am UTC

Well, for most games I just play on internodes servers, as they are awesome and there are lots of them. But they're in australia, so not so accessible to most people.

But when the ping is low enough that I can mistake it for my number of kills, it's gotta be pretty good.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:41 am UTC

They can be fun for fast action, but it tends to stalemate quite a bit.

As long as the map is timed, it's fine.
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

I believe it's either 45 or 60 minutes with a four or five-minute overtime melee only at the end.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:04 am UTC

See, that's way too long.

Turtling and camping set in, and people just start dropping.

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:48 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Well, for most games I just play on internodes servers, as they are awesome and there are lots of them. But they're in australia, so not so accessible to most people.

But when the ping is low enough that I can mistake it for my number of kills, it's gotta be pretty good.

I almost always use Internode's servers because they are local and Internode happens to be my ISP.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:31 am UTC

I almost always play on CP_Lazytown with no time limit, normal everything else. Games last for hours, it's great. You can play for as long as or a little as you like, and the map is well designed enough that the game rarely stalls for more than 5-10 minutes (and even then it's not like nothing is happening).

Raldios

Postby Raldios » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Oh my god new computer.

All high 1600x1200 no problem at all.

Dr Strangelove

Postby Dr Strangelove » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:21 am UTC

I just LOVE being a spy. The gullibility of some players, even experienced ones, is unbelievable. If you approach from behind, it's very rare to be spy-checked. The only hazard are those goddamn pyros and heavies that just spam an entry point. Frustrating.
This signature still in committee.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:08 am UTC

Apparently my prowess as a scout increases with proximity to midnight. Just now, I rushed into the B point on Gravel Pit, which was packing a demo, a pyro, and a heavy all in different corners. I kill the heavy and leave, only to reload my weapon and loop through again for a similar strafing run on the pyro. On my third run, the demo blew us both up.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:16 am UTC

I have to stay away from being spy for a little while, I love being a spy and I'm really good at it, but I have four times as much time playing as a spy compared to my nex most played class so I'm taking some time to work on playing other classes.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

1hitcombo

Postby 1hitcombo » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

Spy is too fun, especially if your team actually listens to you when you "spy"

And backstabbing of course. Gotta love trailing a rush of 6 people and taking them down from the back one by one :mrgreen:

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Yeah, I've diversified my classes and I admit I like spy a lot more than I thought I would. Plus, now that I have played the class a little I now know what to look for when I'm playing other classes, so I don't get backstabbed as much. Engineer and demoman are also lots of fun. I don't like heavy, soldier, or pyro though, but that's probably because I suck at them.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:55 am UTC

Alright. I just got The Orange Box on Thursday (I should have gotten it earlier, blah, blah, blah). Since I had to try Portal first, I didn't get to this until yesterday afternoon. I wouldn't even have done that if Half Life 2 wasn't bugging up. I'm almost glad it was, because Team Fortress2 is really awesome. Now I suck. I know that. I'm not ashamed of it. Ergo, I've just been playing on servers that specifically say they are for new players. The thing is, it's so fun, even if you totally suck. All the classes are fun to play as. Backstabbing snipers as a spy, clearing rooms as a heavy, building turrets as a engineer, it's all fun. The one thing that's way more fun than I expected is being a medic. I had no Idea that staying behind people with a stream of stuff (health?) in between would be so much fun. There's also something immensely satisfying about turning shiny and metallic and charging through a room with the healee destroying everything. Also (in most maps) the balance is fantastic. There may be advantages to playing as certain classes at certain times, but it's not as if you'll be seeing teams of all one class because it's pointless to play as the others. Team Fortress 2 is a truly great game. Some of the best multiplayer since Contra.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:26 am UTC

I myself am a spy player, I've got about seven hours on spy and two hours on my next most played class (Medic). I started playing a few weeks ago, and I used to be actually pretty bad until I watched this video. I don't know, it's like something clicked. Since then I've decided that disguises are a sort of stopgap measure, the cloak should be your primary defense. The best spies are the ones you never see coming, disguised or not. I'm still learning, but I'm getting better. I shall not post my stats, however, as they suck. Best record is 12 points on spy. I also like to play engineer, although it can be boring (and really freaking frustrating when one end of your teleporter is destroyed.)

My tactics aside, I joined the xkcd group (Steam ID: Ishindri) as well, so give me a wave if you see me ingame.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:47 am UTC

I'm finally back to low-latency net, so I'll be playing more TF2 for the remainder of my winter break. I'll have to join this xkcd group, my steam ID is the same as my username, minus the special characters (Aeshaettr.)

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

played a crazy game last night. People were getting seriously frustrated at some long matches. I had casually commented (among friends) that starting the map with 4 spies was probably not helping us very much. The general comment was "yeah, but it's fun". The next 5 maps consisted of virtually the entire team going spy. A truly bizarre site is 12 spies simultaneously charging towards a cap point, cloaking as one as you approach their defenses and then de-cloaking EN MASSE on the cloak point for a 9x cap.

The following map was nearly as funny when the entire other team did not move AT ALL from their initial cap point and just shelled the hell out of it when they saw us de-cloak. I think one dude killed 7 spies with a crit rocket. Course we lost that one. And the other 5x times we tried to pull it off again before returning to normal play.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Disco_Inferno

Postby Disco_Inferno » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

mosc wrote:played a crazy game last night. People were getting seriously frustrated at some long matches. I had casually commented (among friends) that starting the map with 4 spies was probably not helping us very much. The general comment was "yeah, but it's fun". The next 5 maps consisted of virtually the entire team going spy. A truly bizarre site is 12 spies simultaneously charging towards a cap point, cloaking as one as you approach their defenses and then de-cloaking EN MASSE on the cloak point for a 9x cap.

The following map was nearly as funny when the entire other team did not move AT ALL from their initial cap point and just shelled the hell out of it when they saw us de-cloak. I think one dude killed 7 spies with a crit rocket. Course we lost that one. And the other 5x times we tried to pull it off again before returning to normal play.

I have played in some crazy games too. I was part of a successful scout rush once; that was a blast. In another game, we decided to do an engineer rush, but the other side decided to heavy rush us, expecting us to rush with a low HP class. To quote one of my teamates after that round, "It was a shooting gallery and slaughter unlike anything this server has seen before."
John Travolta can dance, but I can light the dance floor on fire.

Pai

Postby Pai » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:Now I suck. I know that. I'm not ashamed of it. Ergo, I've just been playing on servers that specifically say they are for new players. The thing is, it's so fun, even if you totally suck. .

I have never played a FPS before in my life until I got Orange Box. I'm scared to try TF2 because I have no clue ontop of being a huge noob to the genre itself. Can you recommend some good newbie servers for someone like me?
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

play medic. Follow people around and heal them. Watch what they do. The better the server, the more you'll learn but the more frustrating it will be. Personally, I prefer the best server I can get into as you will tend to more quickly rise that way. Medics are generally appreciated anyway which should save you from too much newbie hate. Also besides somebody sneaking up behind you (which happens to anyone but is especially common to medics who follow and don't watch their backs), it's relatively rewarding.

Medic is the greatest newbie teacher I can think of from any multiplayer game.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:33 am UTC

While we're on the subject, has anyone tried right-clicking on TF2 in the Steam Menu, and choosing "View Game Manual", or whatever the option is? :lol:

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 am UTC

Pai wrote:
aion7 wrote:Now I suck. I know that. I'm not ashamed of it. Ergo, I've just been playing on servers that specifically say they are for new players. The thing is, it's so fun, even if you totally suck. .

I have never played a FPS before in my life until I got Orange Box. I'm scared to try TF2 because I have no clue ontop of being a huge noob to the genre itself. Can you recommend some good newbie servers for someone like me?

Along with what Mosc said, just go for it.

Hells, if you want to get used to moving around and the controls, start the game and create a server with a maximum of two players. Spend some time getting a feel for the classes, the default maps, and the interface. Each class only has 3 weapons, and the whole game is pretty newb friendly. It even says so in the commentary (which is also very informative).

'ell, you could probably find some of us on Steam and ask for some practice if you want.

Oh, and some guy named EvilDaedalus made a couple of good tip videos for two of the classes. They helped my game, and they can help anyone else's, too. :mrgreen:

How to play the Pyro
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QGIISxhYRYE

How to play the Spy (also gives good tips for defending against Spies)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=b-qD30EOO-o
Some of the Spy video is dated, since they mostly fixed face-stabbing, but most of the basics apply.

Other videos....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ust9AbyZPms
Demoman (I picked up a neat trick from this one)

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

I watched the how to play the ____ videos. My demoman playing is way better, but my spy, pyro, and engineer (the other ones I watched) playing still sucks. As for servers, I just go for things that say "N00b friendly" or "new players welcome".

I've found that the only time people get angry at a medic, is when he/she ubers the wrong person.

For new players I'd recommend medic, heavy, and engineer. However if you play engineer, you'll want to stay just behind the battle mostly. Also, in large maps, everyone will thank you for a teleport. Dispensers are never bad, and turrets can be extremely helpful at level three. A good strategy is to build a dispenser right next to where you are going to build a turret, so you don't run out of metal while upgrading it.

I guess I'll try going on tough servers as a medic, if that really helps.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

again, find somebody good and heal them. Learn from what they do. Just watch your back because the blind medic is the favorite target of every spy.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

If you're new to FPS's and got the Orange Box I'd recommend playing through the HL 2 and eps. 1 and 2 before you start playing TF2. This will help you gain some essential FPS skills; there's no point in holding a gun if you can't hit someone with it. Also remember that headshots don't matter in TF2 (unless you're sniping with the sniper rifle)--what matters are consecutive shots all hitting, because you get more of a chance to crit then. Some weapons--like the heavy's chaingun or the sniper's SMG or the medic's needle gun are next to useless if you can't stick to one target while you're firing. If you can do that though, they can be very good. Medic is, as others have said, a noob friendly class, but if you want to be effective with most of the other classes you're going to have to be able to aim and shoot, and running through HL2 and eps 1+2 (if you haven't already) is a good idea. Be prepared to get slaughtered when you first start playing for the first few weeks. I got almost no kills sniping for the first week or two, but I'm good enough now that I rarely run into a sniper who I can honestly consider a step above me.

Also, it's important to remember that each class has more than one weapon and that these weapons have different strengths and weaknesses. If you're a pyro and someone is on fire and just out of range of your flamethrower don't run after them with your flamethrower going--you probably won't catch them. Instead pull out your shotgun and get a couple of shots in. If you're a sniper fighting a spy or a scout up close don't try to snipe them--pull out your SMG and focus it on them. Relying on (or only using) your main weapon all the time is not a good thing and makes you a lot less versatile.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Pyro is so much fun, especially in levels where you can ambush people. So much fun.
Engineer is pretty easy to get, but takes a little skill to get better.

at least that's what I've noticed.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:Also, it's important to remember that each class has more than one weapon and that these weapons have different strengths and weaknesses. If you're a pyro and someone is on fire and just out of range of your flamethrower don't run after them with your flamethrower going--you probably won't catch them. Instead pull out your shotgun and get a couple of shots in. If you're a sniper fighting a spy or a scout up close don't try to snipe them--pull out your SMG and focus it on them. Relying on (or only using) your main weapon all the time is not a good thing and makes you a lot less versatile.

I notice heavies do this a lot, once that big mini-gun gets spun up it almost never goes away and a scout can get inside their arc and beat them to death with a bat before they can turn.
Pull out a shot gun or your fists as a heavy when some one gets close and you can take 'em down easy, they almost never expect it.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

remember heavys have 300 health too so often if you have a low health pyro charging at you, you can fist em even and they'll die before you do ;)

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

Yep, that's another use--and then you get the joy/they get the embarrassment of being punched to death. Fists do a lot of damage because you get few opportunities to use them.

Two other hints:
Use q to switch between the weapon you have out and the other most recently used weapon. Enable fast weapon switching in the options so that your weapons switch when you scroll rather than just bringing up the menu and requiring you to click to select one. It can make you a lot faster with weapon switching and fast is good.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 am UTC

I'd have to argue that NG (Engineer) is a TERRIBLE newbie class.

You don't learn any of the proper skills needed to improve, specifically, aiming (unless a Spy comes in), dodging, spy-checking, or coordinating teams.

Turrets always end up being put in the same few spots, so that's not hard to learn, either.

Medic, however, gives you plenty of chance to practice dodging, which is a good newbie skill. :wink:

It also helps you foster a sense of teamwork.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

I agree. Engineer is about the last class to learn IMHO.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

I say it's a newbie class because it's easy and can get you into the game faster.
If you want to improve, you move away from engineer.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:I say it's a newbie class because it's easy and can get you into the game faster.
If you want to improve, you move away from engineer.

Fair enough. I just think NG is the path to laziness.

No offense to Engineer players, but I prefer to get out there and rumble, not sit and whack on (off) my turret. :mrgreen:

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:No offense to Engineer players, but I prefer to get out there and rumble, not sit and whack on (off) my turret. :mrgreen:
I do, too. That's why when I'm an Engy I build a base then try to build a teleport exit at the enemy's flag.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:
AbNo wrote:No offense to Engineer players, but I prefer to get out there and rumble, not sit and whack on (off) my turret. :mrgreen:
I do, too. That's why when I'm an Engy I build a base then try to build a teleport exit at the enemy's flag.

It's even funnier to build a complete base at the enemy's flag. Dispenser, teleport exit, and level 3 sentry gun. It's fairly easy for them to destroy, but it's hilarious to see an unsuspecting blue engineer run into his intel room only to get spread across the walls. Then they send down the spies and demomen.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Agreed. It's fun playing engineer, when you actually go out and kill things.
But, when I get bored of killing things with my shotgun, I switch to something fun, like pyro.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:
ZeroSum wrote:

It's even funnier to build a complete base at the enemy's flag. Dispenser, teleport exit, and level 3 sentry gun. It's fairly easy for them to destroy, but it's hilarious to see an unsuspecting blue engineer run into his intel room only to get spread across the walls. Then they send down the spies and demomen.
Well yes, obviously that's the next step. It's always annoying, however, when your team can't get any flags despite you having a level 3 gun at the enemy flag. Once I got two other engineers to build in their flag room for a total of three level 3 guns. The enemy spy eventually got a cap but it took him very many deaths.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

I can't name a flag room that is really a challenge for a demo to destroy anything in there. 2-fort for example I could easily demolish anything you'd build in there.

It's hard to do that in the enemy's base though because you constantly will get attacked where doing it in your own base, you don't have nearly as much threat on you.

Just saying it's mostly a waste of time to build inside somebody else's flag room. If you can get an engineer in there, you could probably have gotten a more useful class in there too in which case why are you dicking around with turrets instead of getting the intelligence the hell out of there?

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I can't name a flag room that is really a challenge for a demo to destroy anything in there. 2-fort for example I could easily demolish anything you'd build in there.
Not if the Engineer's competent and actually fights for his right to party.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I can't name a flag room that is really a challenge for a demo to destroy anything in there. 2-fort for example I could easily demolish anything you'd build in there.

It's hard to do that in the enemy's base though because you constantly will get attacked where doing it in your own base, you don't have nearly as much threat on you.

Just saying it's mostly a waste of time to build inside somebody else's flag room. If you can get an engineer in there, you could probably have gotten a more useful class in there too in which case why are you dicking around with turrets instead of getting the intelligence the hell out of there?

Because my base has a teleporter exit. Everyone can flood their intel room, regardless of class.

Return to “Gaming”