Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:30 am UTC

The whole Medic achievements thing pretty much cemented me getting the PC version, even though I'm quite a bit worse at any given PC FPS. I bought the 360 version of The Orange Box when it came out, and that's coming back to bite me now that I've gotten into TF2. Everything else, no complaints.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:11 am UTC

...How can one be -worse- at PC FPS games? I'll be the first to admit that an analog stick is better than a keyboard for movement, but there is no finer aiming device than the mouse.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:16 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:...How can one be -worse- at PC FPS games? I'll be the first to admit that an analog stick is better than a keyboard for movement, but there is no finer aiming device than the mouse.

In much the same way one can absolutely fail at being a sniper.

You have a really fine aiming device, I will give you that. But for some people, especially those not used to such fine aiming devices, it is too fine.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:44 am UTC

Well, the MassiveNewUberSuperSpecialAwesomeGoldrushAndMedicStuff© is out. Unfortunately my computer froze up when I tried to join a Goldrush game, and now it's redownloading the update for some reason. But yay anyway.
All is well. We are not like the others.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:48 am UTC

There is one "working" non-password protected, non-full server last I checked. My ping reached 999 there, as did everyone else's.

Can someone make a goldrush game called, I dunno, XKCD Goldrush, with the password XKCD?
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

niteice

Postby niteice » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:22 am UTC

Sometimes under the custom tab you can find more servers. I managed to get on Goldrush almost immediately after it was released and downloaded.
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Eh, I've decided just to play tomorrow, and listen to ungodly amounts of Nightwish tonight.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Torwegia

Postby Torwegia » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

so games with 8 medics and 1 spy suck

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

Torwegia wrote:so games with 8 medics and 1 spy suck

Shoulda switched to heavy. No way they'd take you out.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

That's pretty much all that's going on right now. It's horrible. Every time they release new achievements we're going to go through this? They should have waited and rolled them all out so at least we'd have some balance. I'm really pissed about it.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

Hey, there's new stuff! :O

At least there's room to try playing a sniper now... (It's fun! Sneaky, like the spy.)

Also, I can't get all the achivements, 'cause I don't have any steam friends. :(
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

well getting them all basically requires cheating anyway. 4 scout kills in one uber? 5 FIST kills in one uber? You have to be kidding me! 30 heavy kills in one life is bad enough (as is 10,000 healing) but expecting a scout to bring down 4 people is crazy. They can get 6 shots off in one uber and each does about 70 damage at point blank range. Even if they've got 4 enemy scouts lined up to shoot at, they'd still likely have to be already damaged to pull that off. Fists is even worse.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

True--but you can do pretty amazingly well with 4-5 medics on Gold Rush. I won something like 10 gold rushes straight and always had 3-5 medics. 3 is good for defense, 4-5 for pushing.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

it is further troubling that it's actually a valid strategy for gold rush just to have a bunch of your team as medics around the stupid thing. Yes, the concurrence of the new map with the medic stuff was not lost on me either.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

mosc wrote:well getting them all basically requires cheating anyway. 4 scout kills in one uber? 5 FIST kills in one uber? You have to be kidding me! 30 heavy kills in one life is bad enough (as is 10,000 healing) but expecting a scout to bring down 4 people is crazy. They can get 6 shots off in one uber and each does about 70 damage at point blank range. Even if they've got 4 enemy scouts lined up to shoot at, they'd still likely have to be already damaged to pull that off. Fists is even worse.

Well, maybe it works with the new crit-uber, too? Can't say I've seen those achivements, though.

Also, it annoys me how uber has crept into the english/american langauge. At least spell it über.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Well, it's no longer über. über means Over. Uber means Better.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

if I had any idea how to quickly insert other romantic language letters into my spelling, uber would be low on my list of ones to use correctly. I'd probably start with resume which really needs the symbol to avoid meaning something else. At least with uber you know what I'm saying.

That said, how does one add it so quick anyway?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

mosc wrote:if I had any idea how to quickly insert other romantic language letters into my spelling, uber would be low on my list of ones to use correctly. I'd probably start with resume which really needs the symbol to avoid meaning something else. At least with uber you know what I'm saying.

That said, how does one add it so quick anyway?

Besides copying and pasting it from someone who just said it?
charmap.exe is fun in Windows.
Or just memorizing that ALT+0220 will do Ü and ALT+0252 will make ü.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

waaaaay too much effort. Also I don't have any clue how to type alt+0252 or whatever even if I remembered it anyway!

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

Hm, I've only really played as a Scout. Getting quite good at it, too. Tried a few rounds as an Engineer, but that's simple to get the hang of. I wonder if I'm missing anything if I just stay a Scout.

That said,

FUCKING
USELESS
MEDICS

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

this update has forever given the knock of useless medics :( It used to be snipers but no, now it's medics.

Scout is near useless on many maps. I have a friend who is amazing at scout. Truly impressive (I'm qualified enough to say that and he's far far better). Even he has to put away his scatter gun on some of the tighter maps. Basically scout is an open map class. Sniper is similar in that it only really works when it can get some distance from the action but maps are generally not solely consistent of unsnipable areas (although there are a few areas on each usually). Anyway, staying on scout...

Yes, you are missing out on a lot. All the classes have their own quirks which I find a lot of fun. However, having little experience with any of them makes you poorly equipped to counter them, no matter what class you are playing. Unless you really understand how a soldier likes to shoot (at least a decent one), you can't fully exploit the scout's double jump to make them miss you. Unless you understand which spots on a map and times of round are good for a pyro ambush, you won't see them coming nearly as much. Unless you play engineer enough to learn how sentries can be evaded, you won't be able to deal with them as effectively.

Eh, I'm rambling. It's a great game that's worthy of spending more time on other classes. They all have their learning curves but you'll get through it.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

mosc wrote:waaaaay too much effort. Also I don't have any clue how to type alt+0252 or whatever even if I remembered it anyway!

Pff. It's right there on the keyboard. Next to å. :D

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu May 01, 2008 12:47 am UTC

mosc wrote:waaaaay too much effort. Also I don't have any clue how to type alt+0252 or whatever even if I remembered it anyway!

By holding ALT and pressing 0252 on the number pad?

Torwegia

Postby Torwegia » Thu May 01, 2008 12:49 am UTC

Phen wrote:

Pff. It's right there on the keyboard. Next to å. :D

well the umlaut key is at least äëüöÿ =)

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Thu May 01, 2008 12:53 am UTC

mosc wrote:how a soldier likes to shoot

"i shoot ma rawket at their feets when they get close, huuurrrrr duurrrrrrr."

I guess I should have said I've tried every class for a short while, but stuck with the Scout. Right now I'm trying to learn how to use a Pyro.

Slowly.

Mmmrrrph, hrrmph.

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu May 01, 2008 11:07 am UTC

It can be REALLY satisfying to play spy, but hard, too... And I hear some many complaining about facestabbin'... Well, the opposite is true as well, sticking the knife in someone's back only to have them lag-run away. :x

The positive aspect of having so many medics is that I can finally try playing a sniper...

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Thu May 01, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

mosc wrote:this update has forever given the knock of useless medics

not on the xbawks. :cry:

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu May 01, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

Phen wrote:It can be REALLY satisfying to play spy, but hard, too... And I hear some many complaining about facestabbin'... Well, the opposite is true as well, sticking the knife in someone's back only to have them lag-run away. :x

The positive aspect of having so many medics is that I can finally try playing a sniper...

Although (good) medics are some of the hardest targets, since they can be running around like crazy and don't need to keep you or anyone else in their sights.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Thu May 01, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:Meme distortion time! This is for all you snipers out there.

Giant enemy Heavy! Hit it's weakpoint for massive damage!

So, shoot the medic, got it.

I got in a bit late, but I just had to say this...

Stief

Postby Stief » Sat May 03, 2008 12:18 am UTC

WHY ARE THESE MEDIC ACHIEVEMENTS SO SPECIFIC?!

"ubercharge your entire team while being shot at by 2 enemy scouts and a engineer, whilst spontaneously taking out 2 enemy turrets with a bonesaw and jumping over an enemy medic while singing your national anthem into a microphone, all within 5 seconds....backwards..." [/overexaggeration]
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Sat May 03, 2008 1:52 am UTC

Stief wrote:WHY ARE THESE MEDIC ACHIEVEMENTS SO SPECIFIC?!

"ubercharge your entire team while being shot at by 2 enemy scouts and a engineer, whilst spontaneously taking out 2 enemy turrets with a bonesaw and jumping over an enemy medic while singing your national anthem into a microphone, all within 5 seconds....backwards..." [/overexaggeration]

I know, really!

You forgot to open your overexaggeration tag. [/ruiningajoke][/OH SHI-IRONY]
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Sat May 03, 2008 6:37 am UTC

Stief wrote:WHY ARE THESE MEDIC ACHIEVEMENTS SO SPECIFIC?!

I'm not sure whether this is a serious question or not so I'm going to try to answer it anyway :)

I think they put in the highly specific ones (like healing someone who is currently falling to their death) so that there is a nice mix of difficulties and the final unlock is quite a challenge to get. Otherwise I think there'd be no fun.

I think they got the mix about right.

I really hope the half-team-as-medics thing goes away really quickly though.

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

r1chard wrote:I really hope the half-team-as-medics thing goes away really quickly though.

It already has gone away... a bit. At least on the server I played on an hour ago.
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sat May 03, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Yeah, most of the servers I've played on today are already suffering from a Medic deficit. Which is nice, because I have just three more achievements to go till the Blutsauger.

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:16 am UTC

I have 10 achievements, so I need 2 more to the first weapon! And the cool part is that I still need to get the Big Round achievement (heal 200 people that shouted 'help') and the fire extinquisher achievement. Those achievements automaticly fill while just playing, so I'm happy.

EDIT: Ok, now I've got 15 achievements. About some of the achievements:
How the hell can anyone kill 5 people in a row with a bonesaw?
How can you get a scout so crazy that it kills 3 people in a row in ONE uber?
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sun May 04, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

I already got Sawbones, it's just a matter of luck, I think. I found a heavy and his three medics, all with their backs to me. Go figure. And you don't need to kill five people, you just need to land five hits in a row without missing. As for the scout-uber one, I have a feeling it'll be a lot easier with the Kritzkrieg.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun May 04, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

I'm looking forward to more achievements and weapons for the other classes as well... Any idea when they'll come out?

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sun May 04, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Well, Valve said that now that they have the framework for achievements and unlockables in place, other classes should take less time to update. So hopefully soon. Personally, I can't wait for the spy.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun May 04, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

I want the sniper. Or the engineer.

mosc

Postby mosc » Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

dunno how many of you out there have ubersaws but there's an alarming combo of two medics with ubercharge and ubersaws. One ubers the other who then hacks 4 people with his saw. Then he pulls out his charged uber and uber's the other medic who then hacks 4 people with his saw. If you can hit 4 times, you basically are invulnerable the whole time. On tight maps, that's ridiculously easy.

I'm hoping they make the obvious nerf soon which is that you can no longer charge your own uber when somebody else is ubering you. It's bad enough seeing half medics on teams all the time but it's worse if that's actually a valid strategy!

Return to “Gaming”