Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Josephine

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Josephine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:
Jar'O'Jam wrote:Anyone one up for a TF2 xkcd party after the WC2010 coverage for today ends ?

What time and what server, because I have at most two hours left today for gaming. (and that's only if I purposefully bother to remain awake past midnight for it)

Actually, it might just be better to arrange a party for a few days from now to ensure as many people as possible can play. We'd be able to find a decent server probably as well (unless there's already an xkcd one....)

The 2 IP addresses listed by the xkcd-tf2 group don't seem to exist on the server list. It would need to be a time that is available for both US and UK people. Hmm.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

Well, I'd assume everyone in the UK would be free at around 8-10 and be up for a game, which would be mid afternoon to midday for the USA as far as I'm aware. And, if done on a weekend, most people won't be at their job for it.
Could that work?
Signatures are for chumps.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Im in, though I absolutely suck... (name = fexam)

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:28 am UTC

Just name a place/time and I see if I can attend. anytime next week is good between 9-3 eastern.

Box Boy when you say your Irish does that mean you actually live in Ireland ?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:58 am UTC

I'm available pretty much whenever (MST).

And Box Boy lives in Ireland, yes.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:48 am UTC

Weekend would be best for me, as long as it's not super late.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:50 am UTC

Can you guys add me to the list to pm? I'm eastern time, not sure on availability though

(just bought tf2 today after playing a few times on someone elses computer btw)
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:06 am UTC

I'll be up for it. Do we want xkcd people only?

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:11 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:I'll be up for it. Do we want xkcd people only?

EFC people would probably be alright, if that's what you mean (does EFC have a server we could commandeer?)

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:19 am UTC

It does indeed; it depends on what people want. Without setting up our own server it'll be hard to keep private.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:08 am UTC

I'm happy to attend, though I've no suggestions for where we could commandeer to host this.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

If we go to a map that isn't very popular people won't want to join.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

I think once there's more than 10 or so people, we'll get at least some other people joining.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:The 2 IP addresses listed by the xkcd-tf2 group don't seem to exist on the server list.
So, are those still active?

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:It does indeed; it depends on what people want. Without setting up our own server it'll be hard to keep private.
Surely, if we do manage to commandeer and EFC server and play with them, we could get a mod/admin from their side to kick anyone without either EFC or xkcd in the name to keep it private?
That, or change the settings to only allow the number of people we have signed up to participate.
Amishdemon wrote:If we go to a map that isn't very popular people won't want to join.
But at the same time, who here wants to play on a bad map?
mmmcannibalism wrote:(just bought tf2 today after playing a few times on someone elses computer btw)
rath358 wrote:Im in, though I absolutely suck... (name = fexam)
Perfect, I'm playing for less than a week as well. We could make it some sort of n00b initiation ritual!

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

Hmm. I don't know how possible that would be; I suppose I can ask though.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

Thanks Rakysh. :D

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

Amishdemon wrote:If we go to a map that isn't very popular people won't want to join.
But at the same time, who here wants to play on a bad map?

Custom maps sometimes don't suck and E.F.C. has some custom maps that are good.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

I'm speaking to another friend atm who will be able to get us a server with the next couple of weeks. It would be probably just borrowing it off him for the odd evening, but he's willing to give me admin powers, so if we want some non-xkcders that will be cool as I will be able to ban the unpleasant ones, or we can just lock the server and pm (or post) the password here. Also means we can have valve map rotation with some other stuff mixed in if we want. Also, anyone who has ever played Redfort will be able to tell you that there are community maps just as good if not better than valve's. I think valve have even made some of them official ones, so although admittedly they aren't all great, some definitely are.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

Excellent! Rakysh, tell me, why have I taken so long to realize that you are irrevocably awesome?

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

hehe, thanks. I'm going away for two weeks soon however, so once I get back from that I think the server will be ready.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:27 am UTC

Excellent. I second Rakysh's awesomeness.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:00 am UTC

double posting for bump.
Any info on that server?

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:18 am UTC

This guy I know runs a Gmod/CSS clan. He's got at least two CSS servers, and a few Gmod ones. He says once they are all stable and I think he wants one more Gmod, he's going to expand into TF2. He's finished his GCSE's now, so should be able to move faster, I'll bug him about it today and see if I can get a more concrete timeframe.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:27 am UTC

So after about a week of play time I feel like I am actually starting to understand actual play strategy. If I light someone as a pyro but they will get away I don't chase them and get gunned down for instance.

Also, I discovered the true glory of the dead ringer. On balloon race's 3rd point if you are in the bottom balloon it makes for a great way to get to the top. Disguise and activate the watch; when they hit you it draws some fire away from your team. Decloak occurs near the top and you can usually backstab 2 or 3 snipers/demos trying to camp the point.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

I figured out these past few days that I'm really good with the pyro. Also what is the criteria for a domination?

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Not when every sniper on the other team is dominating you.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

Then it is SPAH TIME! or SCOOT TIME! Or maybe even PYRO TIME! on the right maps.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

Those of you still learning the pyro, don't forget that he has an immensely powerful tool - his airblast ( right mouse button )
You can reflect rockets ( be it soldiers or sentry guns ), demoman grenades and stickies, blow flames off of friendly troops ( but if the enemy is on fire, it won't put the fire out ), and keep people at the distance - lit them on fire, blow them back, fall back for the medkit, come back, light them on again, blow 'em back, cook until they're done. Juggling Ubers and people who've just had the misfortune of being above you ... not to forget yet another way of checking for spies.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:blow flames off of friendly troops

Only if they'd stop running away and let me get within airblast range.

But yeah, airblast is a powerful tool, and the reason I don't use the backburner. Knowing how to use it well can make a huge difference and there's nothing quite like the schadenfreude of taking out a soldier with their own reflected crocket.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

Reflections are among the most satisfying kills in TF2. Especially crits. I've yet to learn the trick of rocket jumping on a reflected rocket though.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 pm UTC

I'm not any good with the airblast, so I can't wait for the boosted power and insta-crits of the Backburner.
Also, I've noticed recently that when I hit milestones the weapons can take up to an hour to spawn for me, even though my ping is as low as 40 most of the time. Is this a common thing or should I file a report?

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:18 am UTC

I've been playing on an all-crits instant respawn orange x-3 only server. It's more intense, I find. Pyros are only mildly useful. The reflection is good for all the crit rockets coming your way, but as you need to get in melee range for just about anything, they're only good for defense and spy-checking.

I've been trying to get more familiar with Engineer on offline Dustbowl. I think I'll stick to my heavy/pyro/soldier/sniper arrangement.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:23 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:Then it is SPAH TIME! or SCOOT TIME! Or maybe even PYRO TIME! on the right maps.

Ah, that's also a great feeling. When that guy you've been dominating got so angry, they changed class just to take care of you. It always brings a smile to my face.

I also recently realized the backburner sucks and started using the basic flamethrower again. I guess they made the crits on it much harder to get a while ago and I just never noticed? I seem to remember being able to crit from a decently wide angle, as long as I was still behind them. Now it seems like you have to be 100% directly behind and hold that (which is about impossible on a moving target).
nbonaparte wrote:I've been playing on an all-crits instant respawn orange x-3 only server. It's more intense, I find.

Agh, I can't stand modded servers. 32-players breaks the flow of objectives. Nearly all custom maps I've played suck, or just aren't balanced well for all classes, and I don't want to download any of that bullshit. That, and I can't stand servers that are 24/7 one map. I want a variety when I sit down to play. All this is pretty much why I stopped playing for a while, it became impossible to find a server I enjoyed.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Anyone play a server with roll the dice? I find it very fun when two people from opposite teams roll god mode.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

And nukes.
Gotta love 'em.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
nbonaparte wrote:I've been playing on an all-crits instant respawn orange x-3 only server. It's more intense, I find.

Agh, I can't stand modded servers. 32-players breaks the flow of objectives. Nearly all custom maps I've played suck, or just aren't balanced well for all classes, and I don't want to download any of that bullshit. That, and I can't stand servers that are 24/7 one map. I want a variety when I sit down to play. All this is pretty much why I stopped playing for a while, it became impossible to find a server I enjoyed.

The map is a little biased towards soldiers and snipers, I'll give you that. Doesn't look very pretty (it's mostly untextured) though. Meh. I like it.
Amishdemon wrote:Anyone play a server with roll the dice? I find it very fun when two people from opposite teams roll god mode.

Ah, RTD servers. Fun. Although I tend to get timebomb a lot...

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:The map is a little biased towards soldiers and snipers, I'll give you that. Doesn't look very pretty (it's mostly untextured) though. Meh. I like it.
I find C&L Ambassador Spies along with Chargin Targe Eyelander Demomen do pretty good as well.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

I like orange, and it's an excellent place to hone one on one skills, but if a truly excellent sniper comes on then you can kiss your enjoyable evening goodbye. There are some nice variants on it as well, which make it a bit more balanced or even add textures.

SERVER UPDATE: The company my friend is going to rent from has servers in stock, he just needs to talk to the other admins to get the money together. He says that if it all comes together, he should have it by tonight.

Return to “Gaming”