New D&D Player

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

New D&D Player

Postby Vekter » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

So, I just got done reading D&D for Dummies. I'm probably gonna use a rolled-up 1st-level Sorceror. Any tips?
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: New D&D Player

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:39 pm UTC

I wouldn't mind playin' I'm new too. I don't even know what classes there are in baisc DnD. Too bad I have noone to play with.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:15 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I wouldn't mind playin' I'm new too. I don't even know what classes there are in baisc DnD. Too bad I have noone to play with.

Just using the PHB1 for 3.5 you have Fighter, Sorceror, Wizard, Bard, Paladin, Cleric, Druid, Rogue, Ranger, Monk, Barbarian

For new Players I would recommend a Monk, Fighter, Sorceror, or possibly a Cleric, but only if you play a warlike one.

The general theme behind each class is as thus:

Fighter/Monk/Barbarian: Someone who hits people with swords/Martial Arts and is generally good at getting better at hitting people with swords/Martial Arts and resisting physical damage. Barbarians have a rage ability which makes them hit things harder for a while.
Sorceror/Wizard: Someone who hurts/protects using magic. Sorcs get less of a selection but more flexibility. The main difference in theme is that wizards cast spells using their smarts whilst sorcerors cast spells using the force of their personality.
Cleric/Druid: Someone who calls upon a higher power to heal/protect and to a lesser extent enhance and damage. Clerics look to gods or concepts while druids look to nature for their power.
Rogue: Someone who gets by on being skilled. Generally geared towards being stealthy, but not always. Excels at avoiding damage rather than sucking it up like a fighter or a monk.

Combination classes:
Bard: Combo of a Rogue and A sorceror with the unique song abilities and the possibility of knowing about concepts through bardic lore instead of skills. Sacrifices extra skills and spell levels for having access to the other.
Paladin: Cleric/Fighter mix, must stick to a lawful alignment or lose their powers. Usually powerhouses but their power is outweighed by the restrictions on their behaviour.
Ranger: Fighter/Rogue mix. also known as the rogue of the wilderness. Rangers sacrifice skills for physical prowess but have easier access to skills and feats than fighters and rogues.

Each of the "Complete" books add new base classes such as:
Warlock who is like a Sorceror who doesnt cast spells, but gets access to powerful arcane blast abilities that they can change and improve as they gain levels. They have to be of a chaotic alignment.
Ninja: They are kinda a monk fighter hybrid and get all sorts of neat tricks in exchange for a lot of the better abilties of the monk and fighter.
The players hand book 2 adds Knights which are protective fighters, able to protect their fellow party members.
Scouts, who are like rogues but instead of sneak attack they get skirmish which gives them large bonuses when they are mobile during their attack.

4th Edition is coming out next year and should simplify a lot of rule mechanics in lots of cool ways, along with consolidating a lot of the classes.

Personally, I say create your character himself before you pick classes and abilities. Decide what kind of person you would like to pretend to be and then pick what the appropriate attributes are.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

In basic D&D, the core classes are(lets see if I remember) and defined simply
Barbarian -Meatshield
bard-jack of all trades
Cleric-healer(in most games)
Fighter-best for combat(any kind)
Monk-no weapons, or very few fighter
Paladin-holier-than-thou fighter
Ranger-tracker-fighter
Rogue-lock open guy
Sorcerer-fewer spells known, but less structred spellcaster
wizard-very structred spellcaster

as for tips for a sorcerer? get the spells magic missile and prestidigitation. Good dex and con, on top of Cha, are very helpful. And always adventure with a fighter and a cleric (though a lot of money and healing potions works in a pinch)

I could run a play-by-post game if you would like to give it a shot.
418 I'm a teapot

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:22 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:In basic D&D, the core classes are(lets see if I remember) and defined simply
Barbarian -Meatshield
bard-jack of all trades
Cleric-healer(in most games)
Fighter-best for combat(any kind)
Monk-no weapons, or very few fighter
Paladin-holier-than-thou fighter
Ranger-tracker-fighter
Rogue-lock open guy
Sorcerer-fewer spells known, but less structred spellcaster
wizard-very structred spellcaster

as for tips for a sorcerer? get the spells magic missile and prestidigitation. Good dex and con, on top of Cha, are very helpful. And always adventure with a fighter and a cleric (though a lot of money and healing potions works in a pinch)

I could run a play-by-post game if you would like to give it a shot.

I'd play!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

I'd play the class that's my style.

Are there any limits on class combos?

Rogue/Fighter looks cool, ninja maybe.

Fighter/Sorceror like a magic knight sounds badass too.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:55 pm UTC

are you talking gestalt or multi-classing? Considering the game I would be running would probably be for rather new players, I would not allow Gestalt, but I have no Problem With Multi-classing.

I think I'll start a topic in forum games to write more details of this game. in fact, Bam!
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13327&start=0&sid=89adc3451b7967cbb0f90775e0446803
418 I'm a teapot

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

Are there any limits on class combos?

The biggest limits are the limits inherent in the combination. If you're a 4th level character, and 2 of those levels are fighter, and 2 of them are sorceror, then the biggest drawback is that you're not as good at either of those things as a 4th level fighter or a 4th level sorceror would be. The dog who chases two rabbits catches neither.

Also, if your classes get too far apart from each other in level (more than one level apart, iirc), you start taking experience penalties which cause you to level more slowly.

That said, certain combinations of classes, (and once you get further into the system, prestige classes) can complement each other really well for certain purposes. Rogue and Fighter combine especially well to make an agile and dirty fighter.

You mentioned ninja, which are actually achieved much more adequately by combining monk and rogue. (or any of the various ninja PrCs and base classes in other books)
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

That depends on your race's favoured class. If one of those classes is your races' favoured, it does not count towards the multi-classing penalty. Neither to prestige classes.
418 I'm a teapot

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:06 pm UTC

True.

They/them

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:14 pm UTC

Also magic and fighting don't go together well. What with all that spell failure while wearing armor and all.
This space intentionally left blank.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Fighter/Sorceror combo = Hexblade or Warmage.

Dan Frank

Postby Dan Frank » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:25 pm UTC

I just wanted to speak up and dispute the characterizations I have seen of the rogue thus far (in this thread, I mean).

The rogue isn't the "lock open" guy or the "stealth guy". He can be those things, of course. But what the rogue really is, is the damage guy. A properly made and correctly played rogue can reliably deal more damage than any other class in the game. Writing them off as skill-monkeys does them a great disservice, in my opinion.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

The only reason they are written off as skill monkeys is that they get more skill points than any other class. and yes, these are Gross simplifications of the classes, but I think I sort of stated that.
418 I'm a teapot

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:08 am UTC

If you're in a role playing campaign that is about role playing just take whatever classes suit your character idea, and to hell with optimization. The world is full of complicated mathematical optimization problems, but good roleplaying is rare and should be taken when offered. Start with a concept of who you want to be, worry about rules later.

What's important is no player feels like they aren't contributing, and people get roughly equal "screen time". Basically, if players are nice to each other you can have different power levels and not worry about this. (especially if combat is not teh sole focus of the campaign... which it too often is)

If you want to optimize the basic rules are:

Combat types must never give up a point of Base Attack Bonus, but are free to multiclass as much as they want within that restriction.

Spellcasters must never give up a level of spellcasting progression. Unless every level of that presitge class says "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" you don't want it. Multiclassing is bad. Races with level adjustments are very bad.

Be human. That extra feat is worth more than any other racial ability.

There are exceptions to all of these. The official D&D boards have lots of guides and optimization tips, and include a Theoretical Optimization board for rules-legal but grossly overpowered things (like the rules abuse that makes all your stats arbitrarily high finite numbers that can be increased arbitrarily high at any time to beat any opponent... effectively infinite stats without actually being infinite. Also, you can have every feat, spell, monster power and class ability in the game at will. As often as you like per round. With infinite range. And you can actually make up any new ability that isn't in the game and give it to yourself as a free action, but that's overpowered. :-) )
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:14 am UTC

Haven't they got Pun-Pun down to like, a level 1 venerable human commoner by now?
All is well. We are not like the others.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:02 am UTC

Ishindri wrote:Haven't they got Pun-Pun down to like, a level 1 venerable human commoner by now?

Something like that. I know it's possible at level one, but you might need a starting int above 18.

Last I checked people were trying to work out how to create a object with mass Aleph-one, because Pun-Pun's Aleph-null strength lets him throw it for Aleph-one damage. (The thrown object damage table is apparently that quirky)
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

I'd play.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

If we're setting up a Post-by-post thing I would be interested. Maybe even convincing Belial to make us our own sub-forum.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

Do it, yarrgh!

Oh wait that was like a month ago.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:30 pm UTC

I've already set one into motion in Forum games.
still working on story, but should be good to go 'fore too long.

linkage!
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13327&start=0
418 I'm a teapot

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:58 am UTC

Vekter wrote:So, I just got done reading D&D for Dummies. I'm probably gonna use a rolled-up 1st-level Sorceror. Any tips?
Pick up a ranged weapon. Get used to feeling useless when you're out of spells (although this will be somewhat less likely for you than for a wizard, it will still happen at low levels). If you're particularly adventurous, pick up a Longspear so that you can use its reach to flank with the front-line fighter- everybody loves getting another +2 to attacks. This will expose you some to enemy attacks ("hm, hit the armored guy in front of me, or the distracting guy with no armor behind me?") in a way that you may not want- figure out how your DM chooses who to attack, and that'll tell you whether or not this is a good strategy (alternatively, decide how crazy or cautious your character will be). Note that while your longspear is out, you will be unable to cast (unless you can work out with your DM a way to not be using the weapon to threaten, but still holding onto it with one hand, while you use your other hand to cast a spell).

Familiars are largely worthless, except for the 3 HP of toads or the flavor of another, cool familiar. A snake can actually be very useful- bluff is a class skill, based on your highest stat, and very useful for getting out of sticky situations ("Your money of your life!" "You just robbed us! We don't have any money left!" "Uh... I did? Oops. Sorry, move on.").

Sleep is the most useful level one spell until you hit level 3-5ish. You will be tempted to take Magic Missile at level 1- this is a mistake. Switch out Sleep for it at 4th level, which is when sleep stops being useful and Magic Missile becomes more useful.

Other useful spells:
1-Enlarge Person (nice buff for the frontline fighter, especially if it's a barbarian), Mage Armor (defenses, although it can be ignored in favor of other spells), Mount (if you travel frequently)
2-Scorching Ray (standard damage vs. one opponent), Rope Trick (sleep in perfect safety, once you hit level 4 and can Extend it (with Sudden Extend, if Complete Arcane is allowed and you can spare the feat), or level 8 normally- if you aren't going to get Sudden Extend, you can probably wait and switch something else out for this, but the few hour respite can be useful anyway), Glitterdust (blind your enemies or get rid of invisibility), Invisibility (escape or recon, depends on the campaign), Bull's Strength (another frontline buff)
3-Fireball (who doesn't take fireball), Explosive Runes (you can do a lot of fun tricks with these, especially if your campaign has a lot of downtime- they're permanent), Fly (escape/defense), Haste (buff that's somewhat useful)

Dan Frank wrote:But what the rogue really is, is the damage guy. A properly made and correctly played rogue can reliably deal more damage than any other class in the game.
At the risk of being too condescending, no, they aren't. Sneak Attack damage can be nice, but it is nowhere near as good as an optimized barbarian, or any of the broken combos. Sneak attack is also incredibly easy to shut down- if the DM picks a monster at random from the MM, they'll be immune to sneak attack around 40% of the time. Now, you say, that's a bad example- but the things that are immune to it (undead, constructs, etc.) are also things that show up rather often, and fortification armor is not hard to come by.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Dan Frank

Postby Dan Frank » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:37 am UTC

Vaniver, you are absolutely correct. I was being extremely hyperbolic, because I like rogues, and they can have a great damage output if you use flanking to its utmost effect, and they were being written off as skill monkeys.

Also, most campaigns I run and play in tend to be humanoid heavy and monster light, so rogues tend to be more powerful. In more classic or standard games, which is definitely what should be used as the benchmark, you are even more correct.

If that's not asskissing enough for you, I also want to add that I've read a lot of your posts in Serious Business, and you seem to always voice exactly what I'm thinking. So, carry on. I <3 you.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:20 pm UTC

I prefer scouts for damage potential. I mean who needs sneak attack when you can skirmish for the same damage potential.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Explosive Runes (you can do a lot of fun tricks with these, especially if your campaign has a lot of downtime- they're permanent),

*note reads: I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.*
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Vekter

Postby Vekter » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

Thanks for the help, Vaniver. It should come in handy.

Vaniver wrote:... Explosive Runes

Sounds like fun. What do they do, precisely (other than explode)?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information. The runes detonate when read, dealing 6d6 points of force damage. Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The object on which the runes were written also takes full damage (no saving throw).

You and any characters you specifically instruct can read the protected writing without triggering the runes. Likewise, you can remove the runes whenever desired. Another creature can remove them with a successful dispel magic or erase spell, but attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion.

Note: Magic traps such as explosive runes are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find the runes and Disable Device to thwart them. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 28 for explosive runes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vekter

Postby Vekter » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:46 pm UTC

>.>

That sounds like fun. :D Thanks man.

Dan Frank

Postby Dan Frank » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

Victorkm... forgive me if I'm wrong, as I don't have the book skirmish is detailed in, but you need to move before the attack, right? More than 5 feet?

Which means you can normally make just one skirmish attack in a round. Compared to Sneak Attack, where you can make... well, more than one, up to the limit of however many attacks you have. Vaniver is right that if we go by the Monster Manual as the standard for enemies (and we should), then Sneak Attack is nullified an very significant amount of the time. But when it can be applied, Sneak Attack is still hard to beat in the damage department (yes, I agree there are some combos that drastically outshine it... but then, that's a somewhat unfair comparison anyway; you're comparing a tricked out combo to the class ability of a core class)

Anyhoo. Explosive runes is equivalent to approximately six barrels of awesomesauce. Use it wisely.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

You can cheese your way around the skirmish rules and get multiple attack rolls.

There is Greater Manyshot, which has a seperate roll to-hit on each arrow.

There is Hustle (PW2Ego3), which gets you an extra move action.

But all of this is optimization.

The true optimization goal is to optimize your character to be useful but not spotlight stealing, and have a DM who can build for your group's power level. It is relatively easy to make a build that is broken-good at D&D, but that means you missed the mark.

For a new character, I'd advise going with a simple character with fewer choices. Barbarians are simple (get a big weapon, hit things), Rangers a bit less so (range or melee ranger?), and Fighters a bit less so (you have to pick what kind of weapons you want your fighter to be using) at character creation time. Paladins are simple to create as well, but they require a delicate touch to Roleplay.

In-game, Spell casters are doing more resource management (how many spells do I use?), Rogues have to understand some of the combat crunch more than most classes (tumble, flat footed, flanking, sneak attack, AC, etc), and need to pick skills.

Monks suffer from "MAD" (multiple attribute disorder), which makes picking your stats tricky. After that, they are pretty simple. They can easily be gimped in the battlefield, however: it is hard to make even a low-level monk that can both survive being attacked and effectively threaten those around him.

Clerics are probably the easiest of the full casters: because you have armor and decent weapons, you can wade into combat, and save your spells for emergencies. Druids lack decent armor, and at low levels their powers aren't enough to make up for that. Wizards (you should specialize!) and Sorcerers need advice on which spells to pick, and have a bit of a low-ammo glass cannon problem. In a 3-4 encounters/rest game (the standard), they should spend most encounters not even casting a spell, which is a bit wierd for a new D&D player to get.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:You can cheese your way around the skirmish rules and get multiple attack rolls.

I made a level 9 scout for the Cheesegrinder tourney at DragonCon 2006 who could and did regularly hit for over a hundred damage per round and it only cost him 2d6 damage to himself. Also he managed to dodge a staff of the archmagi being broken while standing next to it. Twice.

Dan Frank

Postby Dan Frank » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

I stand corrected on the Scout. Like I said, I'm only vaguely familiar with the mechanic. Cool beans, in that case.

Also, Yakk's advice and assessment of the classes is spot-on for a newbie. I strongly suggest you take it under advisement.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

Dan Frank wrote:I stand corrected on the Scout. Like I said, I'm only vaguely familiar with the mechanic. Cool beans, in that case.

Also, Yakk's advice and assessment of the classes is spot-on for a newbie. I strongly suggest you take it under advisement.

haha I didnt read your comment. Yeah you gotta move, but two weapon fighting gives 2 attacks and with creative weapon modifiers, I managed to get something like +15d6 between my two attacks.

Nebo

Postby Nebo » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:38 am UTC

Victorkm wrote:haha I didnt read your comment. Yeah you gotta move, but two weapon fighting gives 2 attacks and with creative weapon modifiers, I managed to get something like +15d6 between my two attacks.

How were you getting two attacks after moving?

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:04 am UTC

Nebo wrote:
Victorkm wrote:haha I didnt read your comment. Yeah you gotta move, but two weapon fighting gives 2 attacks and with creative weapon modifiers, I managed to get something like +15d6 between my two attacks.

How were you getting two attacks after moving?

I dont even remember but the DMs were allowing it so I assume I had cheesed something out.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

I'm going to assume they just weren't up on the two weapon fighting rules.

If you move, you only get one attack, no matter how many attacks you would normally have. Unless you have the "pounce" ability or something like it, and that only works on a charge.

They/them

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I'm going to assume they just weren't up on the two weapon fighting rules.

If you move, you only get one attack, no matter how many attacks you would normally have. Unless you have the "pounce" ability or something like it, and that only works on a charge.

Spring attack?

I know there's a second feat for that - I think it's called Bounding Assault or something? - in the PHBII which I think lets you make two attacks while spring attacking. something.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:02 pm UTC

Huh. Interesting if true, as it would make spring attack even crazier.

Especially since, even with pounce, I can only think of one way for most characters to get it, and it's a wildshape feat...

They/them

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:08 pm UTC

... naturally it's one of the books I -don't- have in PDF format...

Dan Frank

Postby Dan Frank » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

Bounding assault doesn't do anything with two weapons.

It lets you pick two targets instead of one, and your movement doesn't provoke from either of them. You can then make your first and second attacks in your BAB Progression (i.e. you get another attack at -5). You can attack each of your targets once or one of them twice.

It also requires +12 BAB

Return to “Gaming”