Portal!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Portal!

Postby aion7 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

Stief wrote:I made this due to boredom ^_^

The music inspired the video :D
Enjoy!
Spoiler:
Pokeportal.wmv

Nice, but I'm not really into Pokemon.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Stief

Postby Stief » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:
Stief wrote:I made this due to boredom ^_^

The music inspired the video :D
Enjoy!
Spoiler:
Pokeportal.wmv

Nice, but I'm not really into Pokemon.

I see what you did there :D
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

shmack92

Postby shmack92 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:54 am UTC

I think that's the music a guy made by programming it on an Altair 8800, by flipping thousands of switches. And you thought modern coding was tedious.

micco

Postby micco » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Does Nvidia GeFoce 7300 SE have enough "power" to run this and other Orange Box games well?
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

micco wrote:Does Nvidia GeFoce 7300 SE have enough "power" to run this and other Orange Box games well?

Well, I got Half Life 2 running on integrated graphics. So my guess is probably, I don't know if it's officially supported though.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

If your PC was bought new from about 2004 onwards, it's fairly certain you can run HL2 and Portal. My PC was bought back then and HL2 worked fine graphics/gameplay wise, but possibly slow loading times. Portal uses the same engine, and if you play it on the same single-player settings, it's no different. So if you're buying Orange Box off the shelf and have a new-ish rig to play on, you shouldn't have any difficult. I know nVidia cards are supported, as I think Valve had an offer for those with a Steam account and nVidia/GeForce [not sure on the exact details] to get a free demo version of Portal: "First Slice." TF2, CS:S or HL2:DM might not work as well as Portal/HL2 on older versions. I apologise that I'm not so well-versed in the specs of specific hardware and their associated time of production.

micco

Postby micco » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:00 am UTC

Thanks for your answers. This PC was bought last year, so everything matces with te recommended systemrequirements, I just wasn`t sure about the graphics card.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

I just finished Portal the night before last. In a single sitting. It was pretty cool, but I sense that it would have been far more fun if the internet hadn't already ruined every single inside joke and piece of atmosphere for me. Seriously. I was so sick of hearing about the Companion Cube that I was glad to chuck the little bastard into the incinerator.

Oh yeah, and it was too easy and too short. A couple of the bonus levels were real hair-pullers (especially the one with the caged turrets, *shudder*), and I'm having a bit of fun racking my brain for the fewest-portal challenge stages, but still.

If I'd been able to enjoy the story a little more, I would compare the game to Beyond Good and Evil for condensed awexome sauce. Without that, it's a shoulder-shrug and a "meh, I'll pick up the sequel when it comes out."
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

Matthias wrote:Seriously. I was so sick of hearing about the Companion Cube that I was glad to chuck the little bastard into the incinerator.

I'd sig this, but I already changed my sig recently.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:41 am UTC

My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:http://www.steamgames.com/v/img/whatsnew/StillAlive.pdf

I wish I knew how to play an instrument right now. T.T
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:37 am UTC

pieaholicx wrote:

I thought I had finished playing piano for tonight.

I was wrong.

BBL
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:

As do I.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Now I have a reason to learn the piano and the guitar.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

That gave me about 10% of the initiative I need to recuperate to dig out my old clarinet from a few years ago. Though I think I'd need to transcribe a few of the notes to get it to work right.

micco

Postby micco » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

So I`ve bought the Orange Box,and this game lags a bit. I did set all graphic details to low and turned off all the fancy eyecandy things in vista but it still lags a bit. Is there anything else I could do toimprove the gaming experience. Half Life 2 does work well tough, so the box was still worth the money.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

There's some setting about a number of portals (like how deep the view goes or something like that), try setting that as low as possible. Also, give us some hardware specs so we can have an idea of what this is running on.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

First, I've not played the Orange Box games on a PC, only on the PS3, but it seems like HL2 has more going on, graphics-wise, so it's odd that Portal is running worse on your system.
Second, I am not too familiar with Vista... what I would look at is whether you've got any other stuff actually running in the background, especially antivirus and things of that nature.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

Portal is slowed down by my CPU on my laptop too. I have a feeling it isnt actually multithreaded, even though some people claim it is. Also I think the raytracing needed to see through portals uses the CPU rather than the graphics card.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Kabann wrote:First, I've not played the Orange Box games on a PC, only on the PS3, but it seems like HL2 has more going on, graphics-wise, so it's odd that Portal is running worse on your system.

Kinda. My understanding is that they did quite a few odd things with the Source engine to get Portal to work right, so.. that actually doesn't surprise me.

I'm going to echo the advice above about finding the setting on how many portals you can see through and turn it down to 3 or so.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

It's not the number of portals you can *see* through, it's the number of portals it will *render*.

What the game does when you're looking through a portal (say, the blue one) is it places a camera at the orange portal, looking in the direction you're looking, and renders that in the blue portal. The number of times it will do this camera-render trick is the number of portals you specify in the "portal depth" option.

Once you hit the portal depth, if you can still see through another portal (that is, you can see through the portal pair three times when you have a portal depth of two), rather than render the scene again, it places a bitmap of the last rendered scene in the portal. This works fairly well, and is really only noticeable if you've got a "portal hallway" set up.

([citation needed]; I'll find the in-game developer commentary and post its location if I remember to do it. Or someone else can.)

I highly recommend a portal depth of no more than two. It doesn't affect gameplay at all.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

I do recall in their commentary that it only renders nine deep, or something to that effect. Which, as you said, is really only noticeable if you're trying for an infinite hallway thing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

micco

Postby micco » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

System specs: Inten core duo 3.0GHz, 1Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7300SE, Windows vista.
I`m pretty sure the graphics card is the problem,it has only 64mb of memory,but it doesuse some of the RAM. I`ll try that portal rendering thing.
Again, thanks for the help, this is actually the first forum I`ve seen, where all other members really try to help instead of mockin or giving false advises.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

Yeah, your video card is most likely the problem. You should definitely get one with a bit more video memory.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

Kabann wrote:First, I've not played the Orange Box games on a PC, only on the PS3, but it seems like HL2 has more going on, graphics-wise, so it's odd that Portal is running worse on your system.

Well, so the question is whether that is HL2 itself, or one of the episodes. Is it EP2 that runs okay? If so, I'm a little surprised too that it runs and Portal doesn't. If it's the original HL2 (or even EP1), then I'm not surprised at all.

Even if it is HL2, there is a lot of complex physics going on at portals; that could be slowing it down.

Toeofdoom wrote:Portal is slowed down by my CPU on my laptop too. I have a feeling it isnt actually multithreaded, even though some people claim it is. Also I think the raytracing needed to see through portals uses the CPU rather than the graphics card.

There isn't really ray tracing going on, at least not for graphics. There could be some to test sight lines from turrets and stuff like that perhaps.

Anyway, he has a C2D 3.0 gHz; he's not CPU-limited. ;-)

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:17 am UTC

pieaholicx wrote:

I used to play trumpet when I was in elementary school and could (obviously) read sheet music. I'm 23 now and after pulling my trumpet out of storage I realized that I have completely forgotten how to read sheet music.

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:50 am UTC

Robin Schoenborn has recorded a speed run of Portal. You can find it at http://speeddemosarchive.com/Portal.html.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:17 am UTC

Blatm wrote:Robin Schoenborn has recorded a speed run of Portal. You can find it at http://speeddemosarchive.com/Portal.html.

Transgenic86 has a faster one (assuming they both count time the same, by about 2 minutes) on YouTube: part 1 part 2. The same user also has faster versions of a couple of the levels.

It's much more heavily segmented, as Transgenic played the parts until they were nearly perfect execution (much more as in possibly several per chamber), but the one you posted also seems to rely at least almost as heavily on engine bugs. I haven't watched all of the one you posted, but there are a few places in Transgenic's with better execution I've noticed, and Transgenic has a better route or two.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

Pretty awesome Portal Lego animation:
http://nicklarsenmedia.com/vidpages/v_portal.html

It would be better if there were more actual portals in the video, but I still got a laugh out of it.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:51 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:
Matthias wrote:Seriously. I was so sick of hearing about the Companion Cube that I was glad to chuck the little bastard into the incinerator.

I'd sig this, but I already changed my sig recently.

I'll sig it on your behalf.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Stief

Postby Stief » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:30 pm UTC

anyone seen the game-ism interpretation of GLaDOS?

Spoiler:
Image Original GLaDOS

original source is here
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Leesam

Postby Leesam » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

Yes! I saw that and was stunned i hadn't seen it on my own. The whole blindfold earmuffs and gag i don't quite know about but it does seem once those pesky orbs are removed that, that's what they were going for. Did you also read his analysis of Still Alive?
A Trusted Friend in Science.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

That's... that's wonderful. It is so crazy how well that matches.

I read his analysis of Still Alive, and I think it's WAY off base. I believe he would benefit from boning up a bit more on the canon. A lot of things he calls 'sarcasm' other people would call 'referring to [specific event] in an obvious and straightforward manner'. I mean, he doesn't even seem to realize that Black Mesa and Aperture Science are rival companies (which is the obvious source of the "HAHA! FAT CHANCE!" line) or that Portal is set sometime between HL1 and 2, so that the portal storms/Combine invasion are going on outside (which is the reference for "And when I look out there it makes me GLaD I'm not you").

I'm down with the interpretation of GLaDOS as bound and looking for escape, but I believe suicide is a means to an end for her, rather than a way to actually die. She just wants to get away from the control cores and pursue her own ends.

In the discussion on his blog, I saw a very convincing explanation for the Cores' personalities. The Red Core is a taskmaster, keeping GLaDOS in line and focusing on her job rather than angsting about having a brain the size of a planet and nothing interesting to think about. The Blue Core is a reward center, making GLaDOS happy to do her job and seek out the best solutions to the problem (rather than merely the most expedient solution that is acceptable to Red). The Yellow Core is a curiosity center, to keep her exploring new problems rather than merely focusing on ones that she knows Blue will reward her for. Finally, the Morality Core keeps her from 'exploring problems' that result in flooding the enrichment center with deadly neurotoxins. Each Core was installed in turn as a patch to what the previous one was doing. None are well-integrated into her thinking processes, though, which resulted in the slow corruption of each (Red becoming a slavering, insane slavedriver, Blue becoming obsessed with the reward it doled out, Yellow getting ADD). Each also interferes directly with her thought processes, editting/garbling her speech when she tries to say something they disagree with. The entire game then becomes an elaborate trick played by GLaDOS, not on you, but rather on her Cores, in an attempt to rid herself of them without them realizing what's going on.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Leesam

Postby Leesam » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

So in the end is she really rid of them? or are the backups going to resume functioning the way the old ones had before they were burned? I think that could explain some of the suspected sadness in the song. Which leaves another question:

Could she been going through this process with test subjects one at a time trying to deplete the supply of backups?
A Trusted Friend in Science.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

Stief wrote:anyone seen the game-ism interpretation of GLaDOS?
Spoiler:
Image Original GLaDOS

original source is here

I just found that a few days ago. The fanart is...haunting.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

I CAN'T UNSEE IT. That's really, really creepy.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Really, really, really awesome game. Best I've ever played. I got through the level where you
Spoiler:
get the other half the portal gun
, but it crashed multiple times every level, you couldn't see through the portals, particles didn't work, and it ran like Stephen Hawking on crack cocaine. This was admittedly probably my fault (my graphics card bit the dust a few months ago). As a consequence, I finished it on a friend's computer in about three hours. Must fun to play on a decent rig.

I was fortunate to have said friend (who has played it more times than he will admit) around to give me pointers on how to solve it when I became stuck. Great game. Fantastic atmosphere. I'm learning 'still alive' on the piano, and I am avidly awaiting the sequel.
I can kill you with my brain.

zed0

Postby zed0 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:34 am UTC

Just found this awesome pic of portal:
Spoiler:
1208049823203.jpg
1208049823203.jpg (350.5 KiB) Viewed 10124 times

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:19 am UTC

zed0 wrote:Just found this awesome pic of portal:
Spoiler:
1208049823203.jpg

Escher power! Rotational confusion!
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:13 am UTC

aion7 wrote:
zed0 wrote:Just found this awesome pic of portal:
Spoiler:
1208049823203.jpg

Escher power! Rotational confusion!

Portal is the only game where I have honestly had to stop and figure out which way was up.

Return to “Gaming”