Warhammer (fantasy and 40k)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Re: Warhammer (fantasy and 40k)

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

Orks are (perversely) perhaps the most exact, tactical army in the game.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Orks are (perversely) perhaps the most exact, tactical army in the game.

Which is weird and kind of too bad. I remember the days when Ork vehicles had a carrying capacity of "as many orks as you could pile on the vehicle but of one falls off he takes a Str 4 hit and has to run to catch up."
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:42 am UTC

So I've played a lot of Warhammer 40k video games and I think I'm fairly well-versed in the fluff, but I haven't played any of the tabletop or roleplay stuff. I'm interested in Deathwatch. Does anybody have any experience with this game, or with Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader, which I hear are similar?

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:42 pm UTC

I've been in a couple of Rogue Trader games (and am in one now). Unfortunately I don't have anything to compare it to, but I definitely enjoy it. As far as I'm aware, all 3 share the base ruleset, but there's a progression in gear/stats throughout them (that is, Dark Heresy = piddly little human, try not to fight; Rogue Trader = some combat experience, you can take down a Space Marine as a party; Deathwatch = you ARE a space marine). I can't really think of anything specific to say about it, but if there's anything you'd like to know, I could try to answer it.

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

I've read some of the rules. Seems like a pretty cool system. I've got Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and I really like that system a lot.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 19, 2012 12:10 am UTC

I made some Kans...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Or even if it's what it claims to be, because this stuffed teddy bear is totally a Warhound Titan you guys.

I remember using a big plastic dinosaur as a carnifex.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I made some Kans...

Awesome color scheme! Try to work on some highlighting and make use of those shades (a watered down Nuln Oil can do wonders). Not in that order though.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

I should get back into 40k, but I don't know where to resume.
- Tome of Sixth Ed to study
- Various of my old force to reassemble in places
- Well more than half need a paint job
- I've got a metal Cypher (Fallen Dark Angel) fig that's still in its blister. He came with two of the same arm piece. Like, he's meant to be one hand bolt pistol, one hand plasma, but I got two bolt arms :S Had it years and never followed up if I could get a switch, probably too late now...
- Really not sure what I want my SPESS MEHRENS to be. They were painted red when I was a budding noob at ~12, because I liked red, wanted a simple scheme, and Blood Angles fitted. I've never favoured assault, wanted to build a range-favouring force, so stopped playing as BA and did generic half-painted some-red generic marines. Really need to think up a chapter heraldry for them.
- Used 3rd (?) Daemonhunters with them as allied detachment, I'd like them rejuvenated and playing again with the 6th alliance rules. Course they're all daemonhunters metal figs and some of the 5th Grey Knight plastics would be nice...
- And I've had a 6yr+ pipedream of 4th (?) Tau Empire, Chapter Approved 'Gue'vesa Human Auxiliaries' (inducted guardsman as troops choice) to be modelled as space marines with lasguns/pulse rifles to fulfil loadout reqs, some fire warrior shoulderpads etc as conversion flair. Rules are probably invalidated with the new alliance ruleset as well, but I've always wanted to do that project for laughs.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:05 pm UTC

Warhammer 40k in a nutshell:
1000 hours to read the lore
100 hours to paint your toys
10 hours to put together an army list and understand what to do with it
1 hour to set up the field
10 minutes to play
and then a lifetime to bitch about it.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:05 am UTC

mosc wrote:Warhammer 40k in a nutshell:
1000 hours to read the lore
100 hours to paint your toys
10 hours to put together an army list and understand what to do with it
1 hour to set up the field
10 minutes to play
and then a lifetime to bitch about it.

So, a lot like fighting an actual battle then, huh?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:24 am UTC

So, Chapter Master is a thing.

Turn based game, command a legion of Space Marines, do stuff.

Still a little buggy in Vehicles don't fight, but... pretty neat overall.

I wonder how long until GW's lawyers perform an exterminus on it... or have they realized that this sort of thing is not bad for the brand.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:38 am UTC

I'm five games in to playing Fantasy and oh man is this game fun.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:18 am UTC

So I figure this might be the place for this, but http://www.moddb.com/mods/warsword-conquest is a thing, a several year old thing, but a great thing that I just discovered.

Mount and Blade is one of those games that for some reason I can play for hours, and the warhammer setting makes it pretty cool. I'm playing now as a dwarf with a gun and an axe, leading a band of rescued prisoners smashing bandits and winning tournaments (except when the emperor karl franz is in the tourney, I mean dude swings a 2hand mace like it was a dagger).

There are ogres and trolls and skaven and self righteous human knights and pirates. Also you can ride a lizard or a camel. Or a skeleton horse.

Breakfast

Postby Breakfast » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:54 pm UTC

The thought popped into my head, "where do Orkz get their clothes?"

I can't imagine that they make them. That would require professions like tanner, tailor, dyer... They must steal clothes. But they couldn't steal from humans because the clothes would be too small. Do they steal from Space Marines? Could you imagine a Space Marine in leather pants and a bright red, sleeveless tank top? You know, just gettin' ready for a day at the beach...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:09 pm UTC

Fluff used to be that Orkz, gretchen and snotlings, being born with innate knowledge, would just start doing whatever it is they do... including things like tailoring, brewing, cooking, farming, etc. But when it comes to an actual fight, not just prepping for the fight, the actual battle - they set down the whatever and pick up their gun.

So one of the boyz in the burna squad might be a chef. One of the boyz with the slugga and choppa might be the tailor. Honestly, if you could find a 40k scale frying pan, I'd say replace some ork's choppa with it.

Breakfast

Postby Breakfast » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02 pm UTC

I had figured that there was some fluff explanation. It just seems so opposed to their depiction in EVERYTHING. I find it almost as hard to imagine an Ork knitting a sweater as a Space Marine hanging out on the beach (I don't actually have any problem, I'm just exaggerating). In the far future there are only grim-dark sandcastle contests.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:26 pm UTC

Eh, probably more "Loot da humies, cut up pants, make fancy vest"

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:09 pm UTC

The version I heard was that it was gretchen and snotlings that did everything - the spores on a planet would produce them to mine and scrap and farm squigs until a war industry was ready, then orks would smash them down and force them to maintain the war machines/ use them as ammo.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:05 pm UTC

Ya, orks have lesser varieties that are not particularly useful at fighting but do a lot of the menial tasks.

Similarly space marines have incredibly large apparatuses of support from ships to maintenance folks to cooks and cleaners. People don't like the idea of a single space marine being as valuable as 1000 soldiers in a fight but that's probably how many people it takes to keep a single space marine on the field.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:13 am UTC

Anyone else here hyped about the Warhammer Total War they're making? I know I'm excited.

mosc

Postby mosc » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:14 pm UTC

I just watched harlock space pirate on netflix. Struck me how much of it reeked of w40k. Anybody?

Breakfast

Postby Breakfast » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:44 pm UTC

Vahir wrote:Anyone else here hyped about the Warhammer Total War they're making? I know I'm excited.

Thank you for letting me know this was a thing. If I wasn't at work I'd probably be consuming all of the information I possibly could. I haven't played a Total War game since Medieval Total War II and I've been wanting get into it again for a while. Any word on races on release dates?

*Edit*
Okay, it looks like it was just leaked and there isn't much news at all. Still excited. Very confused. I haven't found anything that says if it will be Fantasy or 40k. I'd probably be more excited for Fantasy because there aren't enough games in that setting.

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:04 am UTC

Breakfast wrote:
Vahir wrote:Anyone else here hyped about the Warhammer Total War they're making? I know I'm excited.

Thank you for letting me know this was a thing. If I wasn't at work I'd probably be consuming all of the information I possibly could. I haven't played a Total War game since Medieval Total War II and I've been wanting get into it again for a while. Any word on races on release dates?

*Edit*
Okay, it looks like it was just leaked and there isn't much news at all. Still excited. Very confused. I haven't found anything that says if it will be Fantasy or 40k. I'd probably be more excited for Fantasy because there aren't enough games in that setting.

I'm 79% sure it's fantasy. I can't provide a precise source on this, but everything I've read seems to imply it's not 40K, and every article on it has Fantasy images, not 40k.

Edit: Yeah, it's fantasy. Source.

Return to “Gaming”