Zelda

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Wolf

Re: Zelda

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

I've played OoT, Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening, the original, Oracles of Ages, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and LttP. I've only beaten Link's Awakening, and I really, really enjoyed it. It's probably my favorite Zelda, although Majora's Mask is tied with it in my mind (that game really grabbed me).

CrackTheSky wrote:I played LttP for the GBA (I assume there's very little difference, if any, between that and the SNES version) and it never really grabbed me.

Same here. But maybe, as trickster implied, I'd enjoy it more if I found a copy for my SNES and played it.

I really want to finish Twilight Princess, as I'm about six hours in on a friend's Wii. But I guess I'll just have to wait until I get a Wii, which will probably be later rather than sooner. Oh well. . .
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

Since this thread began, I decided to get back into Zelda Classic (http://www.zeldaclassic.com), which I haven't played in ages. I suggest if anyone is looking for a serious challenge, download Zelda Classic and try out the Demo Quest EX (included with the latest release).

Endless Mike wrote:
segmentation fault wrote:
Jakarias wrote:But if you look at it... Game Gear... Saturn... Dreamcast... all a bit rubbish weren't they?

Game Gear - yes.
the rest, ABSOLUTELY NOT. they were just undermarketed.

To be fair, the US got shafted with the Saturn since 80% of the good games for it were never released here due to retarded Sega of America execs. Thankfully, playing imports was easy since you just needed to get a 4-in-1 cart that would let you play anything and also give more space to save.
The Dreamcast was just poorly marketed and beaten by an exceptionally overhyped PS2.

Game Gear would've been better if the battery-consumption wasn't so atrocious. The games were great; the system was not. And, the Saturn was an incredible system. I still play mine regularly However, 4/5ths of the games that I have are Japanese games. It did have a much better life in Japan than in the US.

The Sega CD was still incredible. The only down-side was having to buy the Genesis first (unless you got the CDX). KF
~Kizyr

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

CrackTheSky wrote:I really like the Oracle games. I think they're often overlooked in the Zelda franchise (I tend to forget they exist every so often too).

I think the fact that they were developed by Capcom kind of makes them the gray sheep (the CDi games are clearly the black sheep) of the Zelda franchise. I haven't played them, but I've wanted to since they came out.
ponzerelli wrote:A lot of people say "Oh yeah! I've played every Zelda game, excluding the CD-i ones of course". I've seen a couple videos of them, they have the same art style of the cartoon, but what exactly is it that everyone hates about it? Is the gameplay just such a far stretch from the regualr franchise, or is it voice acting, or combination of alot of stuff? I'd like to know, I've never palyed them.

I've seen the reviews of people who have played them, and the basic thing I hear is "there's absolutely nothing good about these games." They were only made due to a contract between Nintendo and the CDi people, and Nintendo had nothing to do with development.

feedme

Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time

Postby feedme » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

I've always had this question about this game, but I've never seen an answer.

Link sleeps in the Temple of Time for like, 7 years. Ganondorf becomes king. Why didn't Ganondorf simply go into the temple and kill the sleeping Link? (outside of the whole 'there wouldn't be a game' thing)

Was he protected somehow? Or in another dimension?

uncivlengr

Re: Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

Wikipedia wrote:Link awakens in a distant room known as the Chamber of Sages and is met by Rauru, the ancient Sage of Light and one of the seven sages who protect the location of the Triforce. Rauru informs Link that his spirit was sealed for seven years until he was old enough to wield the Master Sword and defeat Ganondorf.
I don't know what to do for you

feedme

Postby feedme » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Ok, so his spirit was sealed. Couldn't hack off his head?

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

Damn, the moderator was FAST with that merge!

An hour and 15 minutes is not fast. Stick to the topic. - ST
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

Not exactly Zelda, but a close...homage, 3D Dot Game Heroes is coming to the US for PS3 later this year (at a budget price, even!) and looks like a blast.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

feedme wrote:Ok, so his spirit was sealed. Couldn't hack off his head?

Maybe his body was transported to the Sacred Realm, or something? It's not like people don't teleport every day in those games.

feedme

Postby feedme » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Shadic wrote:
feedme wrote:Ok, so his spirit was sealed. Couldn't hack off his head?

Maybe his body was transported to the Sacred Realm, or something? It's not like people don't teleport every day in those games.

Yeah. Or by 'spirit' they meant all of him. But based off your avatar I'd say you have first hand knowledge of this.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Necro-ing in anticipation of between worlds.

My opinions of games in the series:

Zelda: Loved it. It has grown so much bigger in my head as I've aged. A lot was unpolished, but I liked things like the loose dungeon order and actually having to find things on the world map.

Adventure of Link: I was quite fond of it, probably because it was my first game with towns.

A link to the past: I don't like it so much because of anything unique, but just how well done it was: expansive, without burdensome details or loose connections.

Link's awakening: Memory's a little fuzzy, like a fleeting dream. I was sad when I won though.

Ocarina of time: Like Link to the past, just simply well done.

Majora's mask: best sense of time in any game I've ever played. Loved the mask mechanic; surprised the didn't use it again.

Oracles: Worthwhile, but I didn't like the use of Mario bros sprite and mega man mechanics in the side view areas. It also took be dozens of attempts to do the Goron dance (Main plot requirement). I once gave up for ten years on doing it. When I finally did it, and found out you need to do it a second time, profanity failed me.

Wind waker: I like the sailing, though I can easily see how it can be tedious for some. I enjoyed using tacking to go to places before it was intended. Link felt more like a character in this one than the other games.

Minish cap: Fun, unique mechanic. Not a fan of how they did the optional items.

Twilight princess: Favorite. Liked the dark elements; I love it when the world is visibly terrible in video games and you get to incrementally fix it.. Loved having Medina as a companion.

Skyward sword: I liked the plot. Didn't like how you explored the over-world like a series of dungeons, instead of as an over-world. I liked the dousing in most cases; I would have killed to have it for the last ten skulltulas in OoT.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda (which I first encountered as an adult before anyone says anything about my age), and one of my favourites to this day (though I'd play it more often if it weren't for the unskippable intro) - it's the reason I got an early 3DS.

I'd be a lot keener on a remake of Majora's Mask than I am on Wind Waker HD or Between Worlds - though I will probably acquire both.

Minish Cap is my favourite of the handheld Zeldas, followed by Spirit Tracks.

Skyward Sword, for me, was spoiled by my falling foul of the bug with doing the dragons in the wrong order - and, yes, the world being divided into the sky and 4 islands below felt a little disappointing.

I don't mind the Wind Waker sailing sections, though the skybox was a little obvious at times - and the Triforce hunt outstayed its welcome...

For Majora's Mask, as I said, I'd love to see a remake - or an "inspired by" - I'd love to see what the game would have been like if it had been made today (and if the answer is "not as good" then that raises some very important questions about modern game-making)

The original LoZ is impressive because of how much of the series' formula it conjured pretty much out of thin air, but hasn't aged so well. Adventure of Link has never grabbed me.

Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass and the Oracle games, I all lump together as "generic Zelda" - I wouldn't complain if someone said I had to sit down and play through one of them (particularly if they paid me for it) but they don't have that special place in my heart that Ocarina and Majora's Mask do.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:29 am UTC

I never finished Twilight Princess, nor Link to the Past.
I guess that makes me a bad person?

On the other hand, I very much enjoyed Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Link's Awakening.
Awakening was my first Zelda game, followed by Oracle of Seasons I thing. OoS (don't think I finished that either) didn't grab me the same way LA did; not sure why.

I got OoT and WW at the same time (OoT was bundled with WW). I think I prefer OoT, even though WW had, in my opinion, better gameplay (dungeon gameplay that is). The world in OoT felt richer (albeit smaller) and more coherent; disjoint islands with a lot of sailing wasn't great.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:I never finished Twilight Princess, nor Link to the Past.
Yes :P

I can kind of see how link to the past wouldn't be a favorite of you and msgrey having both started later in the series. It pretty much defined the later half of "Generic Zelda"
rmsgrey wrote:the [wind Waker] Triforce hunt outstayed its welcome...
Apart from being a bad mechanic, that seems way below the dignity of an artifact of the outer gods. Did they just leave the pieces outside on the ground when the kingdom was flooding? Important things belong in axis mundi.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Buwuh? To me, this is one of the fundamental pillars of gaming. It's like saying you enjoy music but have never heard of Mozart or Michael Jackson or Jimi Hendrix or Elvis or Skrillix or whatever.

That's intriguing; I don't think I've actually met anyone who plays videogames but hasn't played LttP!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

I never finished Twilight Princess either... was not impressed at all. I find it weird because a lot of people put Twilight Princess (and LttP) as one of the best games in the series. The game was jarringly linear at times (sometimes you can't backtrack to places you've been before just because Midna doesn't want to go there) and some of the puzzles felt like a bit of a pixel hunt where you'd have to find the exact right place to stand for Midna to let you do a jump or whatever. Really, I think I just hated everything about Midna--personality, gameplay mechanics, role in the plot, annoying sound effects.

Link to the Past is kind of the defining game in the series. It's not necessarily the best (though it's up there), but it's definitely the most influential.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Link to the Past is kind of the defining game in the series. It's not necessarily the best (though it's up there), but it's definitely the most influential.
Yeah I think the original didn't capture my imagination quite sufficiently, as the graphics were exceedingly dated and I was kind of young when it was first released. LttP though... I had dreams about adventuring with Link, and would periodically play just to roam the country side and kind of feel out Hyrule.

Ocarina of Time may have been a better game (maybe), but LttP helped shape my entire gaming outlook.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

I think the main problem I had with Twilight Princess is that it never really felt like home. In every Zelda I've played you start by getting emotionally attached to characters and locations, and then those characters and locations are threatened to be destroyed by some evil, and you set out to stop it. Twilight Princess only got me emotionally attached to Midna and the wolf form, which are always with you throughout the game, and then at the very end you say goodbye to them. It's a completely different underlying narrative, even though the game largely plays out the same with the temples and such.

Kokiri Forest in OoT feels like the place where it all started, whereas I couldn't wait to get out of Ordon Village in Twilight Princess. Hyrule Town in Twilight Princess is bustling with people that you can't talk to and can't get emotionally attached to, and in OoT you directly see the before and after of the people you know and seek to rectify their fate. Majoras Mask (my favorite) has the looming moon over clock town and punctuating music, and Wind Waker is a little different but has plenty of charm throughout.

Twilight Princess kind of seemed to miss the point of why the game was popular from a narrative or emotional standpoint and it focused more on the mechanics and wonder and artistic style. The horse riding was great, the new items were good improvements (gale boomerang, iron boots, double clawshot, spinner top), the dungeons were interesting, but I never cared about the world or its fate. I thought it was a good game for the series, but unusually forgettable.

I can definitely see how decisive one would be about the game over Midna. If I didn't like her or she wasn't in the game I don't think I would have finished it either. Apart from the OCD nature of the series she was the main driving force of the plot that I wanted to see unfold and what kept me playing through the duller parts of the game. I had an almost ASMR response to her, as a stark comparison to the joke that is Navi's interjections.
Last edited by Koa on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:I can kind of see how link to the past wouldn't be a favorite of you and msgrey having both started later in the series. It pretty much defined the later half of "Generic Zelda"

Izawwlgood wrote:That's intriguing; I don't think I've actually met anyone who plays videogames but hasn't played LttP!

I've played it (the GBA version anyway), I just never finished it.
Probably because it was "generic zelda" and I'd already played that a lot.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

One of the things about Majora's Mask is that it invites you to not just swoop in and save people from evil, but to study their lives over the three days, become an expert on them, and use your insights to resolve their minor problems as well as foiling the villain's evil scheme... Sure, the technical limitations meant that your interactions with their lives were limited to fetch quests, timed events, and the occasional mini-game, and the effects were largely binary - either you fixed someone's life (and got the mask to prove it) or you didn't. Still, even within that limited scope, you were interacting with (more-or-less) real people with real problems beyond the impending moon-fall...

And then, at the end, in defiance of logic, all the happy endings you achieved during the time loop have taken place - even the ones that are mutually incompatible during the loop...

One of the big disappointments with Majora's Mask is that almost all the time-related stuff is in Clock Town or Romani Ranch - the rest of the world, aside from the time limit imposed by the 3 day clock and a day-night cycle for enemy encounters on the surface, is largely the same whenever you are...

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:One of the big disappointments with Majora's Mask is that almost all the time-related stuff is in Clock Town or Romani Ranch - the rest of the world, aside from the time limit imposed by the 3 day clock and a day-night cycle for enemy encounters on the surface, is largely the same whenever you are...

Well, what would be different? Spread out the locations of the characters? What would you like to see in a remake? I was going to say that I don't really see the point in remaking Majoras Mask because I see it as relatively perfect game. It wasn't limited by technology or the understanding of player interaction or anything else. I have no objections to an "inspired by" game though, I think the "groundhog day" mechanic is a perhaps a little untapped in gaming.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

Koa wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:One of the big disappointments with Majora's Mask is that almost all the time-related stuff is in Clock Town or Romani Ranch - the rest of the world, aside from the time limit imposed by the 3 day clock and a day-night cycle for enemy encounters on the surface, is largely the same whenever you are...

Well, what would be different? Spread out the locations of the characters? What would you like to see in a remake? I was going to say that I don't really see the point in remaking Majoras Mask because I see it as relatively perfect game. It wasn't limited by technology or the understanding of player interaction or anything else. I have no objections to an "inspired by" game though, I think the "groundhog day" mechanic is a perhaps a little untapped in gaming.

I'm not sure really - just that having the world change more over the three days would have been nice. I can see the design sense in making the primary thread (entering and completing each of the four dungeons) largely time-independent, but, yeah, having less of a sense that time stops mattering as soon as you enter Termina Field would be good, however it was achieved - and modern computing resources would let you do it in ways that the original couldn't...

Koa

Postby Koa » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Sure, I suppose, but I can't think of any practical applications of that. For what it had set out to do I think it did it as well as it could have, but that could always be a lack of creativity on my part.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

I think whatever would be happening would have to be very specific to the locale. Like the tides coming in on the shore, then in again and again ('cause the moon). Maybe a snowstorm on the mountain? Some side quest monsters?

You could have animals coming and going (and a mask to talk with them), but that seems pretty much like adding more people. Maybe to preserve the this-is-not-a-town feel have the friendly and quasi-friendly animals right in there with the monsters, but with the capacity to avoid them (except one or two that die if you do nothing).

FlapjackStudios

Postby FlapjackStudios » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

That question is loaded...

Fav 2D Zelda = Link to the Past

Fav 3D Zelda = Majora's Mask (tied with) Skyward Sword

Reasons? They're Zelda games! Haha.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

A link between worlds s out! Well, been out since Friday, but I didn't want to stop playing to talk about it till I beat it.

Pretty happy with it. The rental system seemed weird at first (especially how it decouples item collection from dungeonering) , but I was happy to have my rupees mean something.

The 2D mechanic is awesome; at times I was a little reminded of Portal.

I really feel they did an excellent job of making the map bring the nostalgia while still making this it's own game.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

Just started playing Ocarina for the first time. Am I a little behind the times?

I found out last night there's no 3DS version of Majora's Mask. Seems odd to 3DSify Ocarina and not Majora's. And it's a shame because I really wanted to play it after finishing Ocarina.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Just started playing Ocarina for the first time. Am I a little behind the times?

I found out last night there's no 3DS version of Majora's Mask. Seems odd to 3DSify Ocarina and not Majora's. And it's a shame because I really wanted to play it after finishing Ocarina.

There are persistent rumours that Majora's Mask may see a 3D version, which Nintendo has been careful to encourage without committing themselves.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:13 pm UTC

If you have a Wii or a Wii U you can get the original version of Majora's Mask on the online store, but it's not available for the 3DS. As rmsgrey said, there are rumours about a remake, but almost all of them are just from hopeful fans rather than official sources. Still, it would make a lot of sense.

Otherwise, there are a few old Zeldas on the 3DS virtual store you could check out (I wouldn't personally recommend playing the NES titles for reasons other than archaeology though) and more recently A Link Between Worlds was released for the 3DS itself. Haven't played that one personally, but it's been getting great reviews.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:59 am UTC

The 3DS is the only Nintendo console I own, or indeed have ever owned. Hence having never played a Zelda game before. One of my cosplaying friends has been pestering me to do a Ganondorf costume for a while, and I finally relented. So this is as much research as it is fun.

Progress so far: got the Goran ruby and am now trying to get the Zoran sapphire by getting swallowed by a whale. Question: how are you supposed to kill those electric jellyfish things? They electrocute me whenever I hit one with a sword. Am I supposed to lob bombs at them or something?

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:22 am UTC

Avoid them until you get boomerang.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:49 pm UTC

I think they may use the same teams for new games and ports, which seems strange; notice how Ocarina 3D and wind waker HD are at the center of long periods without new games? . At this point I'd say Nintendo should have dedicated port teams.

SlyReaper wrote:Am I a little behind the times?
I prefer to think of you as one of the lucky 10,000. I'd suggest starting with A link to the past if you want to continue playing through old games. You probably have friends you can borrow the cartridges for Phantom hourglass and Spirit tracks from.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Progress so far: got the Goran ruby and am now trying to get the Zoran sapphire by getting swallowed by a whale. Question: how are you supposed to kill those electric jellyfish things? They electrocute me whenever I hit one with a sword. Am I supposed to lob bombs at them or something?

Using a non-conductive weapon works well - Deku Sticks (which break when used as a weapon) - evasion is generally as effective and less wasteful.

Dungeon item generally has dungeon-specific uses as part of the series formula.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:53 pm UTC

If I find a lot of deku sticks lying around, I'll use those. But the trouble with having to avoid the jellies is that I don't have time to stand in the room and think, and have a good proper look around for buttons and switches and destructible walls and whatnot.

Come to think of it, just outside the whale dungeon, a fairy gave me a fire spell of some description. Would that work on the jellies? Or will it be like the slingshot seeds that do zero damage on them?

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:57 pm UTC

Din's Fire would probably outright kill them.
But it also destroys your mana bar.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:15 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:If I find a lot of deku sticks lying around, I'll use those. But the trouble with having to avoid the jellies is that I don't have time to stand in the room and think, and have a good proper look around for buttons and switches and destructible walls and whatnot.

Come to think of it, just outside the whale dungeon, a fairy gave me a fire spell of some description. Would that work on the jellies? Or will it be like the slingshot seeds that do zero damage on them?

You can farm Deku Sticks fairly easily places like the approach to the Great Deku Tree, and you can pick up upgrades for your stick carrying capacity that also refill you (If you've found the forest stage, I think there's one there; and there's a sales-scrub in the Lost Woods, near the exit to Hyrule Field (though you get there by a different route) who I think upgrades your Sticks - it might be Deku Nuts - it's been a while)

And you can always go after the jellyfish once you've got a more suitable weapon. In the meantime, I forget whether throwing >spoiler< at them works, but if it does, that's also an option a lot of the time.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

Ah, fair enough. I haven't played much of the Zelda series except for the two DS ones, Ocarina and half of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and the original NES (ha, that's actually more than I thought), but I would definitely recommend Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. They're not much like Ocarina of Time, using a top-down perspective rather than the 3D one that game brought to the table, but they're both a lot of fun. If you really want to delve into the history books, the original isn't that bad, but it has some really undesirable traits left over from the period at which it was released - the reason I've only gotten halfway is because I quit a while back when I was stuck, only later discovering that you have to burn a random bush to proceed with zero indication given. I don't have a problem with playing older games in general, but non-puzzles like that really get to me.

Also, on the subject of A Link to the Past - can someone with experience explain what relationship that game has with A Link Between Worlds? I've vaguely heard that Worlds is a kind of a remake but I have no idea how accurate that is. Are they different enough that it's worth playing both? And which one would you recommend to play first?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:55 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Ah, fair enough. I haven't played much of the Zelda series except for the two DS ones, Ocarina and half of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and the original NES (ha, that's actually more than I thought), but I would definitely recommend Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. They're not much like Ocarina of Time, using a top-down perspective rather than the 3D one that game brought to the table, but they're both a lot of fun. If you really want to delve into the history books, the original isn't that bad, but it has some really undesirable traits left over from the period at which it was released - the reason I've only gotten halfway is because I quit a while back when I was stuck, only later discovering that you have to burn a random bush to proceed with zero indication given. I don't have a problem with playing older games in general, but non-puzzles like that really get to me.

Also, on the subject of A Link to the Past - can someone with experience explain what relationship that game has with A Link Between Worlds? I've vaguely heard that Worlds is a kind of a remake but I have no idea how accurate that is. Are they different enough that it's worth playing both? And which one would you recommend to play first?

Link Between Worlds is a kinda sequel to Link to the Past - they both have pretty much the same overworld (down to having trees and rocks in the same places) but different dungeons, and a different "other side".

LttP is a prequel to the original game, and still a pretty good game. Apart from the whole 2D/3D thing, a lot of Ocarina's structure comes from LttP (which, in turn, draws on the first game), Ocarina being set in LttP's background myth.

Link Between Worlds is a much more modern Zelda, messing with the formula (like having all the dungeon items available practically from the beginning) and benefiting from another 20 years' experience in puzzle design and dungeon layout.

I'd suggest playing LttP first, and I'd definitely say to play both.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:48 pm UTC

Okay, thanks :) I've been confused about that for ages! Definitely picking that one up on the Virtual Console.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:13 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:If I find a lot of deku sticks lying around, I'll use those. But the trouble with having to avoid the jellies is that I don't have time to stand in the room and think, and have a good proper look around for buttons and switches and destructible walls and whatnot.

You can farm Deku Sticks fairly easily places like the approach to the Great Deku Tree, and you can pick up upgrades for your stick carrying capacity that also refill you (If you've found the forest stage, I think there's one there; and there's a sales-scrub in the Lost Woods, near the exit to Hyrule Field (though you get there by a different route) who I think upgrades your Sticks - it might be Deku Nuts - it's been a while)

And you can always go after the jellyfish once you've got a more suitable weapon. In the meantime, I forget whether throwing >spoiler< at them works, but if it does, that's also an option a lot of the time.

The flying jellyfish can be defeated with most forest-type (wooden) items, except the slingshot. The easiest way is the weapon that you find in Jabu-Jabu's belly, but otherwise, they can either be killed with the sword (after stunning with deku nuts) or deku sticks, or bombs. (But I don't think there are many deku sticks or bombs in that area... if there are any, they are few and far between.)

I always recommend getting the first Deku Stick upgrade before even entering the Great Deku Tree, but you don't need more than a couple of deku sticks after the Deku Tree, Goron City, and Dodongo's Cavern, which is where they are most necessary. And they aren't very practical as a weapon, because they break when you use them, unless you are in an area where they are common, like those three places I just mentioned. Anyway, you still might want to get the upgrade, though. If you enter the Lost Woods from the Kokiri Forest, turn left and then left again to get to the room under the bridge, which is where you can buy the upgrade from 10 to 20 Deku Sticks for either 40 or 50 Rupees, I forget which. (I recommend doing it as soon as you get a sword and shield, but technically I don't think you need either!)

The other Deku Stick upgrade (raising the limit to 30) is more difficult to find; like rmsgrey said, it is in a hidden hole in the Lost Woods called the Forest Stage, and you have to have the skull mask.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Gaming”