Your ideal Gaming Store

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby keozen » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:19 pm UTC

Ok ladies and gents.

I hereby ask you a question. What do you look for in a gaming store?

I ask because:
a) I'm curious
and
b) If I ever win the lottery I'm going to set one up :)
Image

User avatar
Rodan
Any title.
Posts: 1846
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 pm UTC
Location: Eastern Standard Time

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Rodan » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:29 pm UTC

the paranoia xp rulebook in stock. Haven't found it yet...

User avatar
Matthias
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:55 am UTC
Location: Out of context, probably.
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Matthias » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:13 pm UTC

No signs telling you to not read the sourcebooks.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

User avatar
keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby keozen » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

Matthias wrote:No signs telling you to not read the sourcebooks.


Does yours have that??? I'd get SO mad. I have to read them through a bit before buying.

Rodan wrote:the paranoia xp rulebook in stock. Haven't found it yet...


New copies won't have the title as "Paranoia XP" but just "Paranoia" as Microsoft threatened legal action after the launch of the first few runs of the book, they made them drop the "XP". I'm glad I got one of the first print run :)

So, do you guys like your stores with some playspace ana a bit of community to it like I do?
Image

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:58 pm UTC

It would have more than 5 different PC games...
Said games would not be 8 months old...
It would have a coming soon sign that wasn't also 8 months old...
The only 5 PC games they had would not be Halo, Halo 2, World of Warcraft, The Sims 2, and Counter Strike

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

Wth?

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:00 am UTC

Errr, it's talking about what you like in a Gaming store, in the Gaming section. I fail to see why this is a bad thing.

User avatar
scowdich
The Hedgehog
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 4:55 am UTC
Location: University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby scowdich » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:11 am UTC

Just once, I'd like to find a gaming store that has a copy of Psychonauts. It's damn near impossible to find, and I wanna play it.

Does "everything's free" still make it count as a store?

User avatar
DrStalker
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:15 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby DrStalker » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:54 am UTC

scowdich wrote:Just once, I'd like to find a gaming store that has a copy of Psychonauts. It's damn near impossible to find, and I wanna play it.



There Steam. Demo is
here. This si where I got my psychonaughts from, and I loved it.



To the OP: are you talking about an RPG store, a computer game store, or a store that has everything gaming related?
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

User avatar
Tuke
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:30 pm UTC
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Tuke » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:02 am UTC

DrStalker wrote:To the OP: are you talking about an RPG store, a computer game store, or a store that has everything gaming related?


I think that the ideal gaming store SHOULD have everything gaming related :D
I have a secret to share with you.
Spoiler:
I'm not a moose.

Image

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:37 pm UTC

Instead of being your usual random shelves of books under ugly floursescent lighting, give it some style, some atmosphere. And I'm not talking creepy mechanical.. creepiness... either, I mean I want my store to be somewhere comfortable. Instead of the usual spare tables and folding chairs, put in some comfy chairs, or perhaps benches and (fake?) wooden tables... something stylish. Also, have somewhere to get drinks/snacks when people actually come in to came.

Possibly, private corners/booths where people can set up games in, well, privacy from people actually trying to shop.

ORGANIZATION. This is something I LOVE about the game store near my college and HATE about the one near my house. Have all the books clearly and NEATLY lined up in a LOGICAL way where people can SEE them, open them, and read them.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8533
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Zohar » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:12 pm UTC

Practically all of the games I buy are imports from the US (I have an NTSC PS2 and Israel is a PAL zone) so I hardly go into gaming stores. On the rare occassions I buy a computer game, I know in advance what I want (basically, HoMM, Civ or, in the future, Spore. Nothing else really interests me on the PC).

In general, I think a nice play area would be fun along with comfy bean bags. Also, a rare items area that would only be accessible to me. I want Suikoden II... It goes up to 150$ and more on eBay.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
bagelfairy
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:48 am UTC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby bagelfairy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

I'd want it to be huge and well organized. Most of the gaming stores I've seen are small, dumpy places with random games thrown together (like half life next to Microsoft flight simulator?!?). Also, I'm really cheap, so I tend to buy older games (seriously, just align your gaming clock 5 years backwards and you'll save yourself tons of money). I'd love for these games to be well organized instead of dumped into a crapfest bin. Also, I think you'd get a huge cult following if you carried really old tech stuff like a SNES, powerglove, Sega etc. But that's just me.
Dry Ice: The Snowman-based comic. Updated 5x a week for your icy pleasure.

User avatar
clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:53 am UTC
Location: Austin

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby clockworkmonk » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:38 pm UTC

The one I go to is pretty damn near perfect.
(this being the board and paper-pencil variety)
They have a large selection, well organized. A great selection of board games, miniatures (if you're into that), and also happens to be a comic book shop.

They are open late, allow people to play there, organize plenty of events, and have cats.
The only thing that would make it better was if it was in walking distance.
418 I'm a teapot

User avatar
Matthias
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:55 am UTC
Location: Out of context, probably.
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 am UTC

There are three in my area, two of which I regularly visit (or did, before I totaled my car last week >.<). One of them has an unbelievable amount of sourcebooks and miniatures, action figures, and comics galore. The other one is all tabletop wargames, and has a much smaller selection than the first, but they have the advantage of several big open gaming tables set up in the back, as well as a few TVs with Xbox 360's set up. If I could find the bastard offspring of these two shops, I would be a very content nerd.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 am UTC

Jesster wrote:Errr, it's talking about what you like in a Gaming store, in the Gaming section. I fail to see why this is a bad thing.


I'll sum up every reply then: It'll have every game and game related item the player wishes to purchase available for reasonable prices.

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Jesse » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:55 am UTC

Maybe you should actually read a few more?

Matthias - The ability to read the sourcebooks.

Amnesiasoft - A bigger selection of PC games than just the current five mainstream ones.

Nyarlathotep - Atmosphere, something comfortable, ability to purchase drinks/snacks during gaming sessions. Organization and decent lighting.

User avatar
Delbin
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Delbin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:52 am UTC

Hmm. I should start with what I think about the stores around where I live. There are Gamestops, a Game Force, and this cyber cafe called Cafe Play that happens to sell games.

Gamestop: Almost always has games on release day and sometimes has some pretty good sales. The corporate nature of the store is a nightmare. Every time I call I get a 10-second stream of promotions, pre-orders, or 'events' that I should most definitely be a part of. Being inside is a bit better, but they still ask if I want to pre-order stuff when I check out. I don't mind pre-ordering when there's something neat to go with it like a poster or in-game perks, but I don't see a point of giving them an interest-free loan just so they can get marketing data. I pretty much just go there since they're closest and usually have the game I want.

Game Force: It's a small chain I think. I've been going to them since I was 10. The people are cool, they let you try used games on their machines, and this one has a big selection of anime, random japanese import merchandise, and to this day has a selection of NES/SNES/Saturn games. The thing is that they usually don't get new games in until a week or so after the release date.

Cafe Play: It used to be an indy coffee shop near campus. It was sold and remodeled to have two stories. The lower floor is still a coffee shop, but they added a lunch menu and a few shelves of used games. Upstairs they have several big, comfy couches. There's also a big screen T.V. with a wii, x-box 360, and I imagine a PS3 by now. There are also 10ish modern gaming PCs open to anyone. They have most MMOs loaded so you can play there if you felt like it.

So, I want the best of all three of these. The front would have a very comfy area for coffee, chatting, tabletop games, whatever. Upstairs would have the gaming center and store where you could try out the games or play some Warcraft if you felt like it.

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:27 am UTC

Delbin wrote:Game Force: It's a small chain I think. I've been going to them since I was 10. The people are cool, they let you try used games on their machines, and this one has a big selection of anime, random japanese import merchandise, and to this day has a selection of NES/SNES/Saturn games. The thing is that they usually don't get new games in until a week or so after the release date.

There used to be two of those near me. They're a great store. It's nice to be able to actually try a game before you bought it. Too bad they both closed down :(

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:54 am UTC

Delbin wrote:Hmm. I should start with what I think about the stores around where I live. There are Gamestops, a Game Force, and this cyber cafe called Cafe Play that happens to sell games.

Gamestop: Almost always has games on release day and sometimes has some pretty good sales. The corporate nature of the store is a nightmare. Every time I call I get a 10-second stream of promotions, pre-orders, or 'events' that I should most definitely be a part of. Being inside is a bit better, but they still ask if I want to pre-order stuff when I check out. I don't mind pre-ordering when there's something neat to go with it like a poster or in-game perks, but I don't see a point of giving them an interest-free loan just so they can get marketing data. I pretty much just go there since they're closest and usually have the game I want.

Game Force: It's a small chain I think. I've been going to them since I was 10. The people are cool, they let you try used games on their machines, and this one has a big selection of anime, random japanese import merchandise, and to this day has a selection of NES/SNES/Saturn games. The thing is that they usually don't get new games in until a week or so after the release date.

Cafe Play: It used to be an indy coffee shop near campus. It was sold and remodeled to have two stories. The lower floor is still a coffee shop, but they added a lunch menu and a few shelves of used games. Upstairs they have several big, comfy couches. There's also a big screen T.V. with a wii, x-box 360, and I imagine a PS3 by now. There are also 10ish modern gaming PCs open to anyone. They have most MMOs loaded so you can play there if you felt like it.

So, I want the best of all three of these. The front would have a very comfy area for coffee, chatting, tabletop games, whatever. Upstairs would have the gaming center and store where you could try out the games or play some Warcraft if you felt like it.


See, this is what I'm talking about, though personally I'd like to throw in elements of my personal favourite gaming store, Gotham Comics, into the mix.

Gotham Comics is a small comic book and tabletop gaming shop in a very tiny little town in the north of Maryland. The guy who runs it pretty much knows everyone who comes into the store at least by face (he knows me as the girl whose handwriting is bad who ran a Ravenloft adventure, becuase I preordered Ravenloft and he couldn't give me a call 'cause he couldn't read my phone number. Also, Girl With Hat), and he also knows ABOUT every game he sells. The store is small and very cozy, though it lacks places to properly "hang out". Everything is IMPECCABLY organized, though ESPECIALLY the DnD books. He has exactly one copy of every book he's got in stock on the shelves, all with their FACES out so you can clearly and distinctly see the covers. He has more in stock than that, obviously, but it means that the books are very easy to see. You can pick them up, open them, and read them, no problem - same with all the comic books in the store as well. He's also got a small selection of anime DVDs.

So, take Delbin's concept and add a sizable collection of comic books and then tabletop gaming merchendice (... gumball machine type dispensers for dice!), and maybe something like private corner booths for gaming sessions (possibly even private rooms) so that the noisy gamers don't disturb the other customers... also, free wifi access for those that choose to bring their own lappys... and you've got a place that Nyar would never, ever leave and probably seek employment. Desperately.

... seriously, if a place of that exact description existed, I don't care where it was, I'd go there and pretty much beg to be hired.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Eleven
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:11 pm UTC
Location: FL

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Eleven » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:45 pm UTC

I'd love a gaming store where the employees know more than Halo and Need for Speed.
Seriously.
All the stores here have been bought by GameSlop, and they tend to overlook people who know games and have flexible hours *cough11cough* in favor of people who can work on Wednesday after school and don't know Beyond Good and Evil from a hole in the wall.

EDIT: Not a personal gripe about their hiring practices, explicitly, but more frustration at the lack of knowledge on the part of their employees. All most of them can do is take preorders and squee like fanboys/fangirls whenever someone asks about their favorite game.
YOU HAS FEESH?!

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

My pen&paper/comic shop kicks ass. Comic side sells basically everything you'd want, from the big hitters to stuff from BOOM comics and Avatar Press or whatever. I mean, this shop carries The Tick whenever an issue comes out (Seems to be once every two years). Gaming side sells.. well, if it's not in stock, they'll order anything you want.

It's well lit, and large. The shelves are probably 4/5 feet apart.. wide enough that you can walk down the mini aisles and pass another person without having to squish against something... assuming both you and the other person aren't... robust.

The whole thing covers... well, I know it's larger than my house, so I'm going to estimate that it's 1300-1500 square feet, roughly. Tables in the back to do whatever.. I've seen Pokemon, YuGiOh, Magic, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, D&D, and some other RPG thing being played back there.. not all at the same time, mind you, but there's enough room that about 30-40 people could be back there, provided they didn't mind being squished in a bit.

On the RPG shelves are the D&D, Star Wars, Vampire, Mutants & Masterminds, and another system I cannot recall.. in the bins, all alphabetized by system and usually by product (As in, Rifts:Africa would be in the Rs, but before Rifts:South America) but.. obviously, that gets disorganized every now and again.. Not quite sure how often they fix it, but it's often enough.

The only way I could think to make it better is basically for it to have more stuff, so I've got more to browse through. Not that there isn't plenty, but.. more is better, as I discover more fun stuff that way.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Delbin
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Delbin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:14 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:There used to be two of those near me. They're a great store. It's nice to be able to actually try a game before you bought it. Too bad they both closed down :(


Sadly, the closest one left is 30 minutes from here. Another is about 45 minutes in the other direction. The one I went to was within biking distance, but it was bought out and I'm not a fan of the new setup.

I'm pretty sure gamestop is more interested in hiring people who show they're outgoing, friendly, eager to please, and comfortable being a corporate whore than hiring people who know a lot about gaming.

Gofyr
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:32 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Gofyr » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:55 pm UTC

Yes it seems an impossible request, but to be staffed with people who have a genuine interest in gaming makes it #that# much better. I was stuck in a queue behind a guy who wanted to know why some game wouldn't let him begin without a memory card.
"I've gone 3 years without one so why should I be buying one now!?"
Guy behind counter: "So... for all that time... Every time you turn the console off you start the game again?"
"Yeah. Why not?"

After a while he eventually left, and me and the guy laughed solidly for 5 minutes. Made me happier to part with my hard earned cash, at least.

Eleven
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:11 pm UTC
Location: FL

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Eleven » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:52 pm UTC

I'd enjoy working at a game store, if only for the amazing stories I'll have to tell. Gotta have something to keep those future grandkids entertained.

"Did Granny ever tell ya about the time she met a man who thought all his games could play in his PSOne?"
" *sigh* Yes, Granny..."
YOU HAS FEESH?!

User avatar
pKp
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:17 pm UTC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby pKp » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:57 pm UTC

And it would be a nerdy coffee shop, too !
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

User avatar
Vanguard
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm UTC
Location: Away from you

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Vanguard » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:57 pm UTC

MY ideal gaming store only sells games with consoles I actually have.
Oh yes, and everything was 20$ or less.
Image

User avatar
evilbeanfiend
Posts: 2650
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:05 am UTC
Location: the old world

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:41 pm UTC

for me, steam
in ur beanz makin u eveel

User avatar
Kizyr
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 am UTC
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Kizyr » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:58 pm UTC

Delbin wrote:Gamestop: Almost always has games on release day and sometimes has some pretty good sales. The corporate nature of the store is a nightmare. Every time I call I get a 10-second stream of promotions, pre-orders, or 'events' that I should most definitely be a part of. Being inside is a bit better, but they still ask if I want to pre-order stuff when I check out. I don't mind pre-ordering when there's something neat to go with it like a poster or in-game perks, but I don't see a point of giving them an interest-free loan just so they can get marketing data. I pretty much just go there since they're closest and usually have the game I want.

Pushing insurance and pre-orders are pretty much the result of orders from corporate at GameStop. I understand that the employees are told by management that they have to give that 10-second promotion stream, and that they have to push pre-orders and insurance, so I usually don't mind that much. The only exception is if they lie to me to attempt to get me to buy insurance (which happens pretty often at Best Buy, come to think of it). Insurance also gets 100% profit, which is why corporate pushes it so hard.

Nyarlathotep wrote:So, take Delbin's concept and add a sizable collection of comic books and then tabletop gaming merchendice (... gumball machine type dispensers for dice!), and maybe something like private corner booths for gaming sessions (possibly even private rooms) so that the noisy gamers don't disturb the other customers...

The private areas for games sounds great (if it were comfortable, I'd be all for it), but I'm wondering about it from the store's point-of-view. How would you set it up so that you could still make profit off of the room, without charging too much to where your customers would still want to come in?

I mean, a low rate for the room and reasonably-priced refreshments would be a good start (like karaoke places in Japan). But, since gamers will usually be in for upwards of 3-4 hours, or more (I think we've had 6-8 hour sessions before...), it might not be enough. KF
~Kizyr
Image

User avatar
keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby keozen » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:47 pm UTC

I always like visiting my friend in Manchester as they have a great gaming store there. Lots of play space as well as a decently stocked store and a load of "Store copies" of games so you can play there in the store if you want (which is great for the try before you buy aspect, especially on some of the big European board games).
Image

User avatar
Katastrophy
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:59 pm UTC
Location: Around Toronto, Canada

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:
Delbin wrote:Gamestop: Almost always has games on release day and sometimes has some pretty good sales. The corporate nature of the store is a nightmare. Every time I call I get a 10-second stream of promotions, pre-orders, or 'events' that I should most definitely be a part of. Being inside is a bit better, but they still ask if I want to pre-order stuff when I check out. I don't mind pre-ordering when there's something neat to go with it like a poster or in-game perks, but I don't see a point of giving them an interest-free loan just so they can get marketing data. I pretty much just go there since they're closest and usually have the game I want.

Pushing insurance and pre-orders are pretty much the result of orders from corporate at GameStop. I understand that the employees are told by management that they have to give that 10-second promotion stream, and that they have to push pre-orders and insurance, so I usually don't mind that much. The only exception is if they lie to me to attempt to get me to buy insurance (which happens pretty often at Best Buy, come to think of it). Insurance also gets 100% profit, which is why corporate pushes it so hard.

Nyarlathotep wrote:So, take Delbin's concept and add a sizable collection of comic books and then tabletop gaming merchendice (... gumball machine type dispensers for dice!), and maybe something like private corner booths for gaming sessions (possibly even private rooms) so that the noisy gamers don't disturb the other customers...

The private areas for games sounds great (if it were comfortable, I'd be all for it), but I'm wondering about it from the store's point-of-view. How would you set it up so that you could still make profit off of the room, without charging too much to where your customers would still want to come in?

I mean, a low rate for the room and reasonably-priced refreshments would be a good start (like karaoke places in Japan). But, since gamers will usually be in for upwards of 3-4 hours, or more (I think we've had 6-8 hour sessions before...), it might not be enough. KF


Combine it with the coffee shop that was mentioned a couple of posts ago. People get to sit down, enjoy their game, and every time they decide they need a drink, there's one a few feet away. And make sure they don't abuse the store copies of the book too badly.

But yeah, go sit around a coffeeshop for 3-4 hours with friends, and you'll probably end up buying more than just one drink. Throw in some snacks and it's good.
~Kat

Jumbalaya
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:14 pm UTC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Jumbalaya » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

Hello, First of all... I signed up after reading several posts, but this is the one that pushed me to sign up :)

Sorry for the long post .... :lol:


The Outside: I think to create a good gaming environment you have to start with the outside of the store. The outside is what people see at first. MAke it into something. You can go from the cliche 'castle look' to Steampunk, Cyber Punk, Vampiresque, etc. Just make it into something that gamers will know, and the new people will be attracted to, to 'see what's inside'.

The Employees: obviously they have to talk to the customers and they have to KNOW what they are talking about, so get fellow nerds :). If the employees cos-play or dress up at all, that is a huge plus. Make sure that the owner is always there, and is either selling stuff, or walking around talking to gamers, or hell, even running or playing in a game on the floor!

The Inside: Like what was said, have a cafe / mini resturaunt as you walk in, with tile floor and the such, like a starbucks or the starbucks in Barnes and Noble's stores. Past that make sure you can see the books/Board games/Figures, and like in Barnes and Noble's let them take the books into the cafe to read, and browse over. Offer non-greasy food, and drinks.

The books should have custom shelves of the same outside theme, or a completely different theme to show a 'transition and flexibility' of gamers. Mabye a Steampunk style outside, the Cafe is like a steampunk saloon, and it all goes into a Dungeon style DnD area, with tile to mimic the cliche gray brick walls and floors, with the old wooden looking shelves. You will need good lighting here, and in the Cafe for readers. The books and such there need to be organized well, Also, Anime is a good thing to sell, everyone loves anime and manga(idc what you say, you know you love it!).

Moving on into the gaming room, you can decide a look for this place too. If you didn't use the dungeon theme for the books area, you could use it here, Find some cheap sturdy wood table and comfy chairs, Paint the tables and chairs with stains and such, Make it look like it was used a long time ago. Make sure the chairs are padded and comfortable. The ones with the tall backs, and the wide seats, add some nice pads to those. Good lighting here, maybe you can find some old wall sconces and maybe make fake torches to put in them that give off enough light. You will need a lot of tables. This room should have tables for pen/paper games, and Figurine games such as WH40k. This room should have a door, and some sound proof from the cafe/book area. Another great thing is a built in Sub shop like thing that is connected to the cafe, but Also in the gaming room, it would be a hassle to have to go out into another room when you want a soda or food. Also keep the food as cheap as possible, this alone would get me to game there!

If you can get an up stairs, reserve this for a LAN center. You can get great gaming computers for less than $1,000, and even better ones if you buy in bulk from a known company, and get a nice connection for cheap depending on where you live. Make sure to Load them up with Single player/Multiplayer games, along with Chat programs: Trillian, mIRC, etc. Offer group rates along with "just surfing the internet" rates. Price it half-hourly, and they pay at the end. Make sure this place is as dark as possible, and sell bottled drinks/Energy drinks.

During your first few months hand out a survey that asks how you are doing, and what your customers think you need murchandise wise.


Misc: Free WiFi, I can't tell you how awesome it is to DM a game and have my laptop with me with internet! Host games, and tournaments, Trading Card Games, and comics need to be sold aswell. Make every customer feel like they are playing at their own house. Another good thing might be to have one or two smaller rooms that can be rented out for a night, and offer with that a catering service from the resturaunt there in the store for a bundled price. Stay open Late, like REAL late, and if you want (I would if I owned one) open 24hrs. Keep the staff to friends and friends you know that KNOW their stuff, and play these games. One thing I HATE is going into a store and talking to the owner and being able to tell he ONLY plays DnD and Warhammer! Make sure you cater to all ages of gamers, I know gamers from the ages of 15 to 60! I was a gamer myself from the age of 10.

Video Games: Not just computer games, but video games. These should be seperate from the PCs. Xbox 360's, PS3(Though very expensive), and a Wii. Guitar hero, Rock band, Smash, along with various shooters (halo, socom, etc) are what LAN centers/Game stores need!

Events: I know I touched on events up there, but... Guitar Hero, Halo, Counterstrike, Card Games, Figurines(WH40k style), Board Games(Risk, Chess, etc), the list goes on! These are only the tournaments you can have. Other events like, a used book store near me recently did a zombie movie party night for halloween. Stuff like that, Get some regulars and put on a skit or two with the employees. Christmas parties, Solstice Parties, big Table top gaming events, with elaborate stories and multiple DMs (I have tried this, it is VERY fun if coordinated). LARPing, VERY fun, Once a month, host a LARP.

PArking Lot: Get a store with a parking lot, not one on the side of the road! People like parking lots, PLUS it adds to the store size, imagine what you can do with a parking lot. If it was jsut your store's, you could host stuff out there! Every Sunday morning you can have sells on older stuff, or host swaps and such, People sell you and other people their old stuff (cards, comics, books, etc).

Books(Non Gaming): If you wanted to go really far, you could stock Good Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Fun Books and Magazines! From Larry Niven to Elizabeth Moon to Dragon MAgazine. Maybe some Computer magazines, and books.

Just some ideas I have been throwing around in my head. I hope to one day open up a really nice gaming store like this, and hopefully the gaming community will support me where I am! I just need some monies :( ... but that wont be far off for me!

User avatar
Katastrophy
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:59 pm UTC
Location: Around Toronto, Canada

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Katastrophy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:46 am UTC

Another thing, especially if you sell Warhammer or other types of figurines, set up a painting table. The Games Workshop near my work has this (not sure if they all do) and I know that the employees use it when they aren't busy with customers. One of them is an amazing painter and offers tips just about any time if you come in with a model to paint.

Damn I wish there were areas with the kind of population this forum has. I'd love to start either a shop like this, or the suggested coffee shop, but I can't imagine a community that would provide enough business to such a niche. Not in Canada, at least, dunno about the states. Maybe I could find somewhere in a university city.
~Kat

Aradae
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Aradae » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:50 am UTC

more than one demo console set up for each system.

I go to gamestop and there's always a line for Guitar Hero. I know I already have the game but it just feels different with other people watching my insane skills at pressing plastic buttons on a fake guitar.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

User avatar
xenuphobia
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:34 am UTC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby xenuphobia » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Katastrophy wrote:Another thing, especially if you sell Warhammer or other types of figurines, set up a painting table. The Games Workshop near my work has this (not sure if they all do) and I know that the employees use it when they aren't busy with customers. One of them is an amazing painter and offers tips just about any time if you come in with a model to paint.

Damn I wish there were areas with the kind of population this forum has. I'd love to start either a shop like this, or the suggested coffee shop, but I can't imagine a community that would provide enough business to such a niche. Not in Canada, at least, dunno about the states. Maybe I could find somewhere in a university city.


The best place, I think, would have to be a large urban center. As the population increases in an area, niche shops become more and more viable. One example I heard anecdotally was a specialty dildo shop in New York; three floors filled with nothing but sex toys and condoms. The only problem is procuring the kind of space you'd need for such a venture; RP/board game stores ideally have an area for people to sit around and play, and if you're tight on space you might not have room for all the other cool stuff you want to do, too.
Image

User avatar
Katastrophy
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:59 pm UTC
Location: Around Toronto, Canada

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Katastrophy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:46 am UTC

xenuphobia wrote:
Katastrophy wrote:Another thing, especially if you sell Warhammer or other types of figurines, set up a painting table. The Games Workshop near my work has this (not sure if they all do) and I know that the employees use it when they aren't busy with customers. One of them is an amazing painter and offers tips just about any time if you come in with a model to paint.

Damn I wish there were areas with the kind of population this forum has. I'd love to start either a shop like this, or the suggested coffee shop, but I can't imagine a community that would provide enough business to such a niche. Not in Canada, at least, dunno about the states. Maybe I could find somewhere in a university city.


The best place, I think, would have to be a large urban center. As the population increases in an area, niche shops become more and more viable. One example I heard anecdotally was a specialty dildo shop in New York; three floors filled with nothing but sex toys and condoms. The only problem is procuring the kind of space you'd need for such a venture; RP/board game stores ideally have an area for people to sit around and play, and if you're tight on space you might not have room for all the other cool stuff you want to do, too.

Large urban center implies Toronto though, and for me personally, I would so much prefer to live in Guelph, with a possible change in scenery to Waterloo or other surrounding University spots. Maybe I'm just not adventurous enough, but I love Guelph as a community, and Toronto is way too crowded for the space this would need. I'm not a "big city" kind of girl. University cities are right along my alley though.
~Kat

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:22 am UTC

Jumbalaya wrote:Books(Non Gaming): If you wanted to go really far, you could stock Good Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Fun Books and Magazines! From Larry Niven to Elizabeth Moon to Dragon MAgazine. Maybe some Computer magazines, and books.

Just some ideas I have been throwing around in my head. I hope to one day open up a really nice gaming store like this, and hopefully the gaming community will support me where I am! I just need some monies :( ... but that wont be far off for me!


I would like to add "Used book store" to the mix, including used gaming books / used game.s Nothin says a great store like cheap used stuff :D

that said? I'd totally help you here man. I'd be for the steampunk look, with a bit of myst/riven thrown in... 'cept for the LAN room which needs the cyberpunk feel.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

User avatar
Delbin
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Delbin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:29 am UTC

So we're up to coffee/snack shop/bookstore with all the aspects of a video game, comic, and tabletop game store along with a LAN center and back rooms for gaming. I'm thinkin' 4-story nerd castle myself.

Edit: It could still work in the middle of a big city. There's the Gart Sports Castle right in the middle of Denver. It's a 5-story sporting goods store.

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:09 am UTC

Delbin wrote:So we're up to coffee/snack shop/bookstore with all the aspects of a video game, comic, and tabletop game store along with a LAN center and back rooms for gaming. I'm thinkin' 4-story nerd castle myself.

Edit: It could still work in the middle of a big city. There's the Gart Sports Castle right in the middle of Denver. It's a 5-story sporting goods store.


What's wrong with a 4 story nerd castle?

We can have a ball pit!
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Your ideal Gaming Store

Postby EvanED » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:35 am UTC

One that sells used PC games. What ever happened to that section in EB and Gamespot and such?


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests