Disgaea

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Disgaea

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:08 am UTC

Mostly from a post in the PS2 thread:
Kawa wrote:
Matthias wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and say Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. It's a turn-based strategy game. The humor, storyline and voice-acting is positively top-notch, and the gameplay is--and I use this word sparingly, so pay attention--perfect.

I haven't played the second one yet, but plan to as soon as I bury the bodies finish the first one.

Disgaea is so amazing. My fiance is playing the PSP port right now XD.

How is the PSP version? Did they fix the cleric problem?

The first game is both wonderful and awful at the same time. So... much... grinding... to... get... Majin... aaaaaaaaarhe;fgwahlieh

I never did finish it.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Eleven

Re: Disgaea

Postby Eleven » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:55 am UTC

Never played Disgaea (want to badly though), but I do have Makai Kingdom. Which I love. There aren't enough games these days with twisted humor. Nippon Ichi makes me happy.
Sooo, I like the humor the best, and the gameplay second, though the combo system escapes me. My priorities may be a tad mixed up. Are there Prinny in Disgaea? Have you played Makai? Are you ONE BADASS FREAKIN' OVERLORD?!

*too much sugar, not enough sleep*
YOU HAS FEESH?!

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Eleven wrote:Never played Disgaea (want to badly though), but I do have Makai Kingdom. Which I love. There aren't enough games these days with twisted humor. Nippon Ichi makes me happy.
Sooo, I like the humor the best, and the gameplay second, though the combo system escapes me. My priorities may be a tad mixed up. Are there Prinny in Disgaea? Have you played Makai? Are you ONE BADASS FREAKIN' OVERLORD?!

*too much sugar, not enough sleep*

1. Yes there are prinny. There are even plot points related to prinny. Despite their amusing-ness I don't tend to use them due to obsession-with-getting-fucking-majin-units.
2. No.
3. Possibly.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:48 am UTC

There was a single copy at the local EB games for fifty fucking dollars, used, with a scratched disk. I played Disgaea quite a bit a couple years ago (up to level 2200-ish), but I sold my copy at the peak of popularity and the valley of supply for about $150. I sometimes regret selling, but then I remember that they released like 2 million more copies... I'll just get a new one when I want a tactical turn based strategy game so bad I can't stand it again.

On that note, does anyone know of any tactical military turn based sims? I just want to shoot terrorists one at a time from behind a busted out car with a variety of realistic weapons while calling in far support from an isometric perspective once in my life...
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

Serrin

Postby Serrin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

I can't stand Disgaea. It was like the best game ever until I realized the utter futility of this crazy idea I was playing based on. This theory, the height of madness, went something like the following: you want, nay, perhaps even need more than one unit.

After I realized how terribly wrong I was, it became 20 hours of Laharl fisting that 3x3 grid of enemies on the double triple xp level. And by fisting, I mean using the most advanced fist technique that hits a 3x3 area.

Umlaut: Jagged Alliance 2?

saus

Postby saus » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:54 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:obsession-with-getting-fucking-majin-units.

Please sit down if you aren't already.

In disgaea 2, beating the game once gets you majins.

I'm sorry.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

Serrin wrote:After I realized how terribly wrong I was, it became 20 hours of Laharl fisting that 3x3 grid of enemies on the double triple xp level. And by fisting, I mean using the most advanced fist technique that hits a 3x3 area.
I just used the sword one instead, and if you only spent 20 hours there you were doing it wrong...

Disgaea is still the only game that I can sit down and put over 200 hours into without thinking twice about where my time has gone. Even FPS games I find something to break the monotony after about 30-50 hours.

Also, if you like Disgaea, try out Phantom Brave!

Return to “Gaming”