Good, Buyable Point-and-click Adventures?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

bagelfairy

Good, Buyable Point-and-click Adventures?

Postby bagelfairy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Does anybody know of any good Point-and-Click Games that you can buy? I'm NOT interested in some short/crappy Flash freeware; I want to ebay/amazon/gamestop/target it up.

I've played Myst, but my all-time favorite adventure games were Starship Titanic by Douglas Adams and Journeyman 3: Legacy of Time, to give some reference. I also recently played a pretty good (but short) game called Barrow Hill: Curse of the Ancient Circle Review.

Anyone got anything else? I've got a fever, and the only prescription is a good Point-and-Click game!
Dry Ice: The Snowman-based comic. Updated 5x a week for your icy pleasure.

Matthias

Re: Good, Buyable Point-and-click Adventures?

Postby Matthias » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:36 am UTC

The Longest Journey. It's not first person like Myst, but it's got classic puzzles and a great storyline to boot. Trust me, it's worth the purchase.

(Cause my word means so much to you :\ )
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Pai

Postby Pai » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:44 am UTC

A Vampyre Story is a new one coming out soon.

Grim Fandango is also pretty good,
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:49 am UTC

I liked Still Life, but the story commits one of the worst faux paus I've ever seen.

Any of those classic LucasArts games would fit the bill; the new Sam & Max episodic series and the originals would work too. The only thing with the new ones, as full of polish and shine as they are, is that they're kind of short.

Only problem with classic LucasArts is that they really don't make or sell them anymore, and you can't get them on abandonware sites, either.

Oh yeah! The Discworld games would fit that description, too. You can get them from The Home of the Underdogs, too, as they've gone abandonware by now.

Pai

Postby Pai » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:07 am UTC

xenuphobia wrote:Only problem with classic LucasArts is that they really don't make or sell them anymore, and you can't get them on abandonware sites, either.

I actually have ROMS of Monkey Island and the Indiana Jones games, for the SCUMMVM emulator. I could zip them up or something if someone wants them, I guess? I don't remember where I originally downloaded the ROMs from. =/

Another oldie-but-goodie: Neverhood! =D
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:39 am UTC

The Broken Sword games are pretty good (at least the first two are, haven't played the newer ones). Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle are incredibly funny, though the puzzles in S&M can be quite confusing. Grim Fandango is an amazing game and you must buy it now, anyone who says otherwise is a fool.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:59 am UTC

I'm going to repeat stuff that was already mentioned, but that only makes the suggestion stronger. The Longest Journey (You can get it on Steam. The sequel, Dreamfall, is not point and click). All the Lucas adventure games, the new Sam & Max games (Season 2 just started too!)

bagelfairy

Postby bagelfairy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:12 am UTC

I have played Disc world and I think I'll wait until the classic Lucas Art games stop pansying around and become abandonware, but those other games seem really awesome. How about the Journeman Project games? I have Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time; how do the other 2 compare to that?

Extra reference: I want this game to play together with my boyfriend (it's like working on a puzzle together), so I don't want anything too involved. Although if you know a good long one, I can always enjoy it for myself.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

I do have The Journeyman Project: Turbo! I couldn't tell you if it's any good though, it never worked on my Windows 95 machine when I had the game, and I really doubt it will go over well in XP or Vista. But it SOUNDED like an interesting game, if that's any help :P

BlochWave

Postby BlochWave » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

The Longest Journey, which I believe was made by the people who did Broken Sword in fact(maybe, or written by the same guy, or something)

You can download it off Steam for 10 bucks if you have it, makes finding it super easy

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is the sequel and they nerfed the gameplay but once you finish TLJ you can continue the excellent story

Edit: I realize I echoed somebody, but take that as a seconding of his suggestion(in fact I think that would make it a thirding)

For perspective, I grew up on Space Quest, King's Quest, Quest for Glory, etc. and TLJ, a (comparatively) new game blows them outta the water. Crazy <3 for that game. Dreamfall, as we mentioned, isn't point and click, but you can view my opinions on it in my ignored topic on this board :(
Signature!

Prole

Postby Prole » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

Grim fandango is great.

Best point n click i've played.

Tuke

Postby Tuke » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:46 pm UTC

I've always enjoyed the Broken Sword games. Played through the original and I've also got the newest (Can't remember the subtitle for the life of me, I'll edit and add it in when I find it) and I like it alot as well.
I have a secret to share with you.
Spoiler:
I'm not a moose.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:28 pm UTC

bagelfairy wrote:I have played Disc world and I think I'll wait until the classic Lucas Art games stop pansying around and become abandonware, but those other games seem really awesome. How about the Journeman Project games? I have Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time; how do the other 2 compare to that?

Extra reference: I want this game to play together with my boyfriend (it's like working on a puzzle together), so I don't want anything too involved. Although if you know a good long one, I can always enjoy it for myself.

Did you get all three Discworld games?

I also have all the Monkey Island games, but some are on one or two CDs and they could be hard to share. I also might have deleted Monkey Island 3 because I couldn't stand that faux-animated crapola.

Actually, looking at it now, Monkey Island 1 & 2 are on one ISO that's small enough to fit into one Rapidshare download. Is anybody interested? MI 4 comes on two CDs at 700mb each, so that's a little bit too big, but the first two (and really, they're the best) I can do.

There were also a couple of CSI point-and-click games, though they were kind of short and had some pretty niche gameplay. Actually, the first one, Dark Motives, is either coming out or is already out for the DS, just to throw that out there.

Come to think of it, there are a lot of classic adventure games on GameTap. I didn't have it for very long, so I can't remember some of them I played, but you can find a list of the top Adventure games here: http://www.gametap.com/home/profile/playlist?sys=24

Fudge

Postby Fudge » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Grim Fandango

Just buy it now. You can thank me later once you're done with it.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

Fudge wrote:Grim Fandango

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

GRIM FANDANGO
Why haven't you bought it already?
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Simius

Postby Simius » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

Pai wrote: Another oldie-but-goodie: Neverhood! =D

I still think the Neverhood is one of the best computer games I've ever played. Though it's old and the graphics are horrible, the gameplay is absolutely awesome. And don't forget the music!

If you can get your hands on it, be sure to give it a try.

Did I mention that the entire game is made out of clay?

someguy

Postby someguy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:Actually, looking at it now, Monkey Island 1 & 2 are on one ISO that's small enough to fit into one Rapidshare download. Is anybody interested? MI 4 comes on two CDs at 700mb each, so that's a little bit too big, but the first two (and really, they're the best) I can do.

Look around for the floppy disk versions, neither of the two takes up much more than 10 megs, IIRC.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

bagelfairy

Postby bagelfairy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:21 pm UTC

I checked out the Broken swords, they seem pretty awesome. Were you thinking of a specific one?

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

I second any adventure game from Lucasarts.
Especially Grim Fandango.

Then, once you play them, you can cry... because Lucasarts quit making good games to make more and more crap starwars games.
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:03 am UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:Win

Ya know, I think I'm gonna look for that game now...
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:06 am UTC

Simius wrote:
Pai wrote: Another oldie-but-goodie: Neverhood! =D

I still think the Neverhood is one of the best computer games I've ever played. Though it's old and the graphics are horrible, the gameplay is absolutely awesome. And don't forget the music!

If you can get your hands on it, be sure to give it a try.

Did I mention that the entire game is made out of clay?

(um... how is claymation bad graphics?)

but yeah, Neverhood rocks (though it's damn hard). If nothing else than just for Willy Trombone and his story.

Simius

Postby Simius » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:(um... how is claymation bad graphics?)

I didn't meant the clay animation, just that when you play it at a moderately high resolution, things get very pixelated. Sorry if I didn't word it the right way.

Themata

Postby Themata » Fri May 02, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Grim Fandango definitely one of the best.

Shivers was also quite awesome. I love that game, still have it.

Return to Zork. Get raped by grues etc.

aeki

Postby aeki » Sat May 03, 2008 2:06 am UTC

As much as the Tim Schafer shrine in my living room testifies to my love of Grim Fandango, I have to point out that it isn't actually point-n-click. The puzzle mechanics are very similar to the other LucasArts point-n-click games, though, so if by "point and click" you really mean type of gameplay rather than interface you should check it out anyway.

Trying to think of games similar to Starship Titanic and Journeyman Project... I remember starting Obsidian several years back, I stopped partway through it because the puzzles were kicking my ass but it's fairly similar. I really want to recommend the Tex Murphy series but after Access disappeared off the face of the planet I don't think you can buy them anywhere (bittorrent would be my recommendation here). The Last Express is an awesome game, but very much time-based, so if you don't like feeling tense or rushed while you're playing it might be a good idea to skip it.

bagelfairy wrote:I checked out the Broken swords, they seem pretty awesome. Were you thinking of a specific one?

My personal favorite is the first one. The second is much shorter with a less intricate storyline and feelings like kind of an afterthought to the first game, the third (also not point-n-click) has a few really irritating PRESS THE LEFT KEY NOW NOW NOW oops too bad you have to watch this unskippable cutscene all over again for the 27th time "action" "sequences" (although with the third you can make your characters run into the wall and they'll make "oof" noises, which is nice for blowing off steam).

What else, what else... play the Sam & Max games, those are good, if you've got a DS play the Phoenix Wright games. I just finished playing Overclocked recently; the story is pretty gripping (riiiight up until the end, anyway) but it's really frustrating to play because they won't let you go anywhere or do anything that hasn't been scripted as part of their linear series of events, which seems to be a recent trend in point-n-click games for some reason.

http://adventuregamers.com is a pretty good resource for looking up adventure games, too.

wst

Postby wst » Sat May 03, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Pai wrote:I actually have ROMS of Monkey Island

I have the physical Monkey Island 2 discs.
Get your cutlery, you just got served.
(I should really have a go at monkey island one day, I always used to freak out (I was really young) when the guard dogs attacked me)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Ended

Postby Ended » Sat May 03, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

I really enjoyed Qin when I played it yearrrrs ago. It has a nice, slightly spooky atmosphere of Chinese history. Also, a beautiful sparse soundtrack from what I remember. It's quite short, although the later puzzles totally owned me.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat May 03, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

Monkey Island is by far my favourite point-and-click series. I still have an amiga, and copies of the Monkey Island I and II. Now that's old school. Sort of.

Starship Titanic I loved, and I wish I could find my disk, because I never finished it :( Sadness.

The only problem I've been having with Grim Fandango is that it doesn't play very well with Windows Vista. I was told a lot, repeatedly, that I had to give it a go, and well, I either crash or loose the sound. What I've seen so far looks really good though.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun May 04, 2008 1:03 am UTC

Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Spoiler:
Grim Fandango
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

aeki

Postby aeki » Sun May 04, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Spoiler:
Grim Fandango

Man, you just know that eventually some unlucky person is going to be convinced to play Grim Fandango and when it fails to cure leprosy or bring their dog back from the dead will come back here and say "that game wasn't as good as I thought it would be, it was way overhyped" and then they will be eviscerated by the people in this thread and who will clean all that blood off this floor, I ask you?

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sun May 04, 2008 4:34 am UTC

Does Zack and Wiki count?
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun May 04, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

aeki wrote:
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Spoiler:
Grim Fandango

Man, you just know that eventually some unlucky person is going to be convinced to play Grim Fandango and when it fails to cure leprosy or bring their dog back from the dead will come back here and say "that game wasn't as good as I thought it would be, it was way overhyped" and then they will be eviscerated by the people in this thread and who will clean all that blood off this floor, I ask you?

tl;dr

...Grim Fan-fucking-dango
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun May 04, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
aeki wrote:
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Grim Fandango
Spoiler:
Grim Fandango

tl;dr

...Grim Fan-fucking-dango

Okay, okay, we get your point, now will you please stop raping us?

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun May 04, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

On the topic of you not being able to play Grim Fandango, do you have a multicore CPU? If you only allow it to use one core it should work ok (it did for me).

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun May 04, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

I may have to investigate this. I think I remembered to do that, and I've also tried it in a few compatibility modes. I will double-check, just to be sure, when I get home later.

Berni

Postby Berni » Mon May 05, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Themata wrote:Return to Zork. Get raped by grues etc.

Zork: Grand Inquisitor was fun too, I just replayed it a few months ago and 10 years has done nothing to ruin that game.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon May 05, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Berni wrote:Zork: Grand Inquisitor was fun too, I just replayed it a few months ago and 10 years has done nothing to ruin that game.

Except if it crashes whenever you try loading a saved game. Then that kind of ruins it for you :P

But yeah, it's awesome (on GameTap too for those who did not know).

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Mon May 05, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

How can ANYONE complain about monkey island 3 when monkey island 4 was so atrocious? MI3 is beautifully animated compared to the crap sandwich that is MI4's "3D".

As a side note, I greatly prefer MI's animation to Grim Fandango's '3d' Blasphemy, I know. I just hate early 3d I guess.
(Also has physical media MI 1+2)
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon May 05, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

If you have a Wii you should get Zach and Wiki.

aeki

Postby aeki » Tue May 06, 2008 2:02 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I may have to investigate this. I think I remembered to do that, and I've also tried it in a few compatibility modes. I will double-check, just to be sure, when I get home later.

Googling "grim fandango vista" gets me this page, which says if you download the patch and set the compatibility to "Windows 98, Me" it should work fine. I installed it on my dual-core Vista laptop and I haven't had any problems yet, although it's still pretty early in the game.

The Ethos wrote:How can ANYONE complain about monkey island 3 when monkey island 4 was so atrocious? MI3 is beautifully animated compared to the crap sandwich that is MI4's "3D".

Pfft. If you were a real nerd you'd be complaining bitterly about Ron Gilbert's non-involvement in MI3 and fantasizing about the day he finishes the REAL trilogy.

Going back to the actual point of this thread, I don't see the Gabriel Knight trilogy mentioned here anywhere. I think that's the only series I can think of where people have wildly differing opinions on which game is the best, but I'd say they're all worth a shot.

Return to “Gaming”