Oblivion

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: Oblivion

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:02 am UTC

that's the spirit!

with all the patches, games pretty well coded, and with low performance mods, even at low graphic settings, it can look pretty good for minimal performance hit.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That's... not really a valid solution. Besides, the average person I know who has Oblivion on the 360 has Oblivion on the 360 because Oblivion would make their computer scream in pain before fire and sparks shot out the back and the whole thing goes up in smoke in a horrible suicide death caused by the agony of trying to run it.

In other words - they've got an old computer and don't see the point in dropping a half-grand in to upgrades when they already have a perfectly good 360.

Thats exactly my situation.
My computer, while not exactly running Windows '97... Is still too old and too small to fit Oblivion on.
My 360 is just fine, and with the first month of Xbox Live free I will eventually have some mods anyway.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:that's the spirit!

with all the patches, games pretty well coded, and with low performance mods, even at low graphic settings, it can look pretty good for minimal performance hit.

On the one hand, a person can drop cash on a game, spend time downloading mods and twerking their system to try and get it to run, and even then not be able to enjoy too many mods, as each one drains a little bit more from the system and you've got to keep it lean as possible to run.... while on the other hand, as they already own a 360, they can drop the same cash on the game and not have to worry about twerking a configuration.. it'll just work, and it'll look good.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:while on the other hand, as they already own a 360, they can drop the same cash on the game and not have to worry about ANY MODS.

Fixed

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

Actually, I think xe's talking about things like horse armor.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:18 am UTC

i like pi wrote:Actually, I think xe's talking about things like horse armor.

That one's a complete waste of money.
Frostcrag Spire, Deathscorn Hollow, Smugglers' Cave, Spell Tomes, Knight of the Nine - those are worth the money
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

I know... It was just an example
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

ok. I'll be on my way now :oops:
Skateside:
Spoiler:

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Has anyone had any problems with the Quest Award Leveler Mod? For some reason, it's doing nothing for me.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Has anyone had any problems with the Quest Award Leveler Mod? For some reason, it's doing nothing for me.

Try selecting it in your inventory list. It should bring up a menu which allows you to alter some of the settings, and it's possible that your settings are wrong for that mod.

The Quest Award Leveler only upgrades items you're awarded for certain quests, but not all items, so make sure you're looking at the right items.
Also, most things only change when you level increase by 5, so level 5, level 10, level 15 etc... so if you're only level 3 it won't do anything.

I don't know what else to suggest, the mod always works fine for me... and makes sure I can never cast Finger of the Mountain ¬_¬
Skateside:
Spoiler:

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:Thats exactly my situation.
My computer, while not exactly running Windows '97... Is still too old and too small to fit Oblivion on.
My 360 is just fine, and with the first month of Xbox Live free I will eventually have some mods anyway.

I have a computer running Windows '96.

How bout them apples?
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Thanks for the response.

Well, the problem is that the item doesn't turn up in my inventory at all. I've even tried starting a new game, but that doesn't help. The only other mods I'm using is OOO and AF leveler (I think it's called... The one that makes the attributes go up with the skills), but even then, the quest award leveler mod claims not to conflict.

Should I load it first or last, or something?

PS. Couldn't you just turn the levelling for Finger of the Mountain off?

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:58 am UTC

Phen wrote:Thanks for the response.

Well, the problem is that the item doesn't turn up in my inventory at all. I've even tried starting a new game, but that doesn't help. The only other mods I'm using is OOO and AF leveler (I think it's called... The one that makes the attributes go up with the skills), but even then, the quest award leveler mod claims not to conflict.

Yeah you can, but I tend to get it early so I want a spell that'll do something a little more drastic than 5 points of shock damage for 6 seconds. Besides, it's something to aspire to :P

*shrug* I don't use those other mods. Try playing around with load order, it might work, or try e-mailing the author and asking him, he might have a better idea
Skateside:
Spoiler:

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:30 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:
Vanguard wrote:Thats exactly my situation.

I have a computer running Windows '96.

How bout them apples?

Surely Oblivion can't be on that thing >_>

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

The item? As in, it'll take away your items but never give you the upgraded version?

When I grabbed the mod, at least, there were two versions in the zip.. one that affected Finger of the Mountain, and one that didn't.. so you could cast the damned spell.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

I can vouch for AF compatability, but I've never bother downloading OOO. You sure you remembered to activate the mod? Last time when I went on a mod installing rampage, I forgot to activate a couple of them and went crazy trying to figure out why some weren't working.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

The item that I'm not getting it the "Quest Award Leveller" one. It just never turns up in my inventory. And how do you mean, activate the mod? I've ticked off the mod in the Oblivion Mod Manager... What more could I do? The install-guide doesn't say anything I havn't done, either... Just unpacked it into data.

EDIT: Now I tried a command for upgrading the mod in-game, but that didn't work either...
Last edited by Phen on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

Phen wrote:The item that I'm not getting it the "Quest Award Leveller" one. It just never turns up in my inventory. And how do you mean, activate the mod? I've ticked off the mod in the Oblivion Mod Manager... What more could I do? The install-guide doesn't say anything I havn't done, either... Just unpacked it into data.

Did you check it in the data menu item (forget the exact wording) from the Oblivion main menu?
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Bah, I've done everything I can. I think I'll try removing and reinstalling it all, even though it means I loose my save game...

I'm running vista (I know, sorry. I need it to play Crysis and SupCom), but now I disabled the UAC, so maybe it'll help...
Last edited by Phen on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

Uninstalling and reinstalling the mod won't require a new save. There is no item you should recieve from the mod. When you level up, it checks your inventory for quest rewards that are levelled. Such as teh Dark Brotherhood rewards. If they aren't the best version you are allowed at that point, it replaces them for you. I don't see what your problem is, maybe I'm missing something?

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

I'm reinstalling oblivion and the mods. The problem is that I've never got the "Leveller" item in-game. It doesn't show up at all.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

You need Vista to play Supreme Commander?

I should tell my install that it can't run on XP anymore.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

There's a leveller item? You must be using a different levelling mod than i had.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

I looked it up.. the mod I've been using is Quest Award Leveling, not the "updated" Quest Award Leveller.

Apparently there is indeed an item you're supposed to get.

Best I can say is enable the mod, play until you hit a level that's a multiple of 5, and see if it shows up then.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

Or get Quest Award Levelling. I think we can both vouch for it's not suckiness.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

I just followed the list of recommended mods for the mod. But behold, after having installed it all again (Oblivion included) with the UAC disabled, it works! Eureka!

(I thought that you needed vista for SupCom? It had the "games for vista" thing on the box. Anyhow, I still need it for Crysis. (Right? o.o))

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

Phen wrote:(I thought that you needed vista for SupCom? It had the "games for vista" thing on the box. Anyhow, I still need it for Crysis. (Right? o.o))

No, that's "Games for Windows" not "Games for Vista." Games for Windows is just a labelling system games that meet certain requirements are allowed to display. Those requirements are 64 bit compatible (native 64 bit binary is optional), a minimal steps install process, support Vista Games Explorer, widescreen support, 360 controller support (where appropriate), and launchable from Media Center. And as far as I know, the only game that requires Vista is Halo 2, and by requires, I mean claims it needs Vista but can be *altered* to run.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

... Damn.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Phen wrote:Anyhow, I still need it for Crysis. (Right? o.o))

Crysis System Requirements

the only game that requires Vista is a port of an ancient ass X-Box game which you've probably already played.. Halo 2, Seriously, Microsoft.. what the fuck? Way to totally drop the ball, yo.. at the least you coulda slapped together a $75 HALOZ SPECIALZ EDITIONLOLZ! that had all three games and required Vista, but nooooOOooo.. you're all "Take your crumbs and LIKE IT, PC swine!"... fuck you too, Microsoft Games department. Thanks for the Bungie raping.

Fix'd it for you. My edits bolded.

Little Richie

Postby Little Richie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Oblivion is purly an amazing RPG, i love it, got if for christmass, almost spent as much time there as i do at the comics, almost, almost.....no.... well not yet.
Takes a nice compie to run tho,,, specially with many high rez mods. but phh why go outside now? Life looks better through the computer!
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
the only game that requires Vista is a port of an ancient ass X-Box game which you've probably already played.. Halo 2, Seriously, Microsoft.. what the fuck? Way to totally drop the ball, yo.. at the least you coulda slapped together a $75 HALOZ SPECIALZ EDITIONLOLZ! that had all three games and required Vista, but nooooOOooo.. you're all "Take your crumbs and LIKE IT, PC swine!"... fuck you too, Microsoft Games department. Thanks for the Bungie raping.

Fix'd it for you. My edits bolded.
I laughed so hard. That is pure win.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Tei

Postby Tei » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

Phen wrote:I'm running vista (I know, sorry. I need it to play Crysis and SupCom), but now I disabled the UAC, so maybe it'll help...

No one needs Vista, like no one needs CANCER. Both games (Crysys and SupCom) work on XP.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

I have Vista, but running games on it is just stupid. I always go back to my XP partition for playing Oblivion and things like that - you'll get a far far better framerate.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:03 am UTC

A bit late but..this is my only gripe with Oblivion. It's happened far too many times and is one reason I don't get too into a character anymore. Fuck you, Autosave. Spoiler'd for size.

Spoiler:

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:36 am UTC

I use Streamline, whcih includes a feature called Streamsave, which is basically auto-save but with as many slots as you want, and it can save automatically every few minutes if you tell it too.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:17 am UTC

press ¬ button (english keyboard - top left button, below Esc)
click on door
"unlock"
:mrgreen:
Skateside:
Spoiler:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

Which doesn't work on the 360.

Whereas Commando Blitzkrieg does.

Commando Blitzkreig - Where you charge the enemy at top speed, firing spells like a madman before switching to your melee weapon and hoping that this time you manage to kill him before he kills you. And then you run the hell away and lead a mad conga-line of enemies right back to the nearest town where hopefully the guards will take care of it. And if they don't, more guards will come and clean up the mess or something, and you get to loot it all anyway, right? Right.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

Shizo wrote:A bit late but..this is my only gripe with Oblivion. It's happened far too many times and is one reason I don't get too into a character anymore. Fuck you, Autosave. Spoiler'd for size.

Spoiler:

Er, save more?

I save like a madman, a habit that mostly came from Morrowind after crashing and losing two hours worth of whatever (2 hours is a LOT in a TES game).

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

It bugs me that one's saving technique should be part of the strategy of playing a game well... it's a bit too much like metagaming to me.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:23 am UTC

Shizo wrote:A bit late but..this is my only gripe with Oblivion. It's happened far too many times and is one reason I don't get too into a character anymore. Fuck you, Autosave. Spoiler'd for size.

Spoiler:

Hahaha. I believe I am among friends when I say I laugh at you!
Quicksave FTW.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Return to “Gaming”