Mario Kart

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Qoppa

Re: Mario Kart

Postby Qoppa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:The ranking goes ***, **, *, A, B, C, D, E

I think you need to come first in every individual race to get a 1 star ranking.

Wait, so is *** the lowest and E the highest, or is it the other way around?

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

Other way around

From Gamefaqs..

Crazyreyn wrote:You will be ranked based on your performance within the Grand Prix, up to three stars. You need to one star many of the cups in order to get all the unlockables, so it is important to know how to get them. To three stars, you have to win ALL four races and get 60 points, and get very good times on all the laps. That is it, help yourself to items and what not. Just try not to obviously fall off the track or hit into walls, as it will slow your time down.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bridge

Postby bridge » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

also from gamefaqs
Playing extraordinarily well in Grand Prix races can produce a Star Ranking upto 3 at the end results instead of the standard "C, B or A."

Either this guy is really good and never seen a D or an E
or in my (italian) version rankings are different.

I hope so because i just re-played the first league in 50cc, won all races, stayed 1 in position for basically all the race in all tracks
and i still only got an A
Excuse my Super Mario accent

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:21 am UTC

As far as I can see from playing so far it does seem to be based on good lap times. I have a one star in a few and As on others. Usually playing the hell out of a track on time trial helps to speed you up if you need to improve on any of them.

zed0

Postby zed0 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

bridge wrote:I hope so because i just re-played the first league in 50cc, won all races, stayed 1 in position for basically all the race in all tracks
and i still only got an A

Do you know how to do power slides? (the kind you get blue sparks after)
Use them alot and it will dramatically increace your speed.
I can usually beat the nintendo records on the time trials by about 4 or 5 seconds using a lot of power slides.

jamesmcm

Postby jamesmcm » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

Is the new one any good?

I was going to buy it but it isn't out in England yet so i got PES 2008 Wii edition instead.

On an unrelated note: Super Mario Galaxy is way too hard - I'm stuck on 90 stars with Mario :( But then I haven't had much time to play it recently with exams coming up and playing Counterstrike

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

jamesmcm wrote:I was going to buy it but it isn't out in England yet
Umm, it's been out here since last friday.

And yes, it is very good.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

bridge

Postby bridge » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

zed0 wrote:Do you know how to do power slides? (the kind you get blue sparks after)

Sure i also do tricks at every jump which gives another good boost
I also found how to have a sprint-start both at race beginning and when you fall off the track
Spoiler:
For the first one accelerate just after the '2',
for the second one accelerate in the same exact moment you touch the ground

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

I don't really think that needs a spoiler :P
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

bridge

Postby bridge » Thu May 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

Nintendo Announces Worldwide Mario Kart Wii Tournaments

(btw, i still have to see one of those stars... but i didn't play much lately...)

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Thu May 01, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

This game is so much fun. I wasn't expecting there to be much difference between karts and bikes, but I was wrong. After using a heavy bike and switching over to a similar heavy kart, they really can't compare. The only thing I don't particularly like is the wheelies on the bikes. I know it's to make up for the lack of major power sliding in bikes, but whenever I pull back on the wheel, I tend to go off to the left.

That having been said, the wheel is amazingly fun to use. It got to the point that I did a race and found it amazing that my brain didn't fully register I was using a wheel until I finished. It's that intuitive. After a while, at least.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri May 02, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

its hard to do well when youre constantly hit with blue shells :(
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Manial

Postby Manial » Fri May 02, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

I've had the game for a week now, and I love it. I noticed that the game notes how much you use your Wii Wheel, so I'm going to try and keep a 100%. That and the Wheel is loads of fun. I've actually managed to get a few single star ratings in 100cc mode, but the best I can do in 50cc is an A. I don't get the little blue boost thing you get when you're on a straight road, though. Sometimes I get it and I have no idea what I did.

To be honest, having never played Double Dash, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the choice of racers and then karts/bikes. So far I've just been using my old favourite, Wario (maybe that's why I can't get a star in 50 cc).

segmentation fault wrote:its hard to do well when youre constantly hit with blue shells :(

This.

I haven't played DD, and in Mario Kart 64 computers never throw blue shells, so I'm finding it really annoying, especially when I get hit in midair. :x Every other second it's lightning or a blue shell. But I do like that the AI is a lot better. I remember in 64 they would throw bananas forward and then slip on them :lol:

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri May 02, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

i remember in 64 blue shells were a bit more rare than they are now, and went through every racer in front of you (but were easier to dodge). now i dont even want to be in 1st because i will immediately drop to 12th.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri May 02, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

My personal blue shell record is 3. In a single lap (it was the third lap, too). Followed by a red shell and lightning. In 50cc Mushroom Cup.

I quit and restarted.

If they're gonna pull that kind of crap this early into the game, I am DREADING Mirror.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri May 02, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

oh and i also think its great that when im put in 12th because of a blue shell, the second i get a blue shell some lightning or POW goes off causing me to lose my item.

FUCK YOU.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun May 04, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

bridge wrote:I also found how to have a sprint-start both at race beginning and when you fall off the track

You won't get better than an A rating if you fall off the track because of bad driving. If you fall off the track once, and it was because you got hit with something that causes you to fall, rather than a momentary mishandling then you might still scrape a star, assuming you raced really well for the rest of the race.

I have a star or double-star in all eight cups for Mario Cart Wii at 50cc and 100cc, but I totally suck at 150cc.

I prefer medium to high top speed, good acceleration, and poor handling for more drifts. But the fact that the only thing I seem to be able to use is the bikes seems to be screwing me in 150cc :oops:

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:I prefer medium to high top speed, good acceleration, and poor handling for more drifts. But the fact that the only thing I seem to be able to use is the bikes seems to be screwing me in 150cc l

I took out 150 with a Bike, and a Light one at that...
Bullet Bike, It has the best Mini-Turbo, if you can pull blue sparks on every corner (Like I try to do) You can keep a solid lead, and still get it back pretty damn fast after some serious shelling.

(Also, Protip, POW blocks don't affect you in the air, hit Grind at JUST the right time on certain locations, you can circumvent it's effects)
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue May 06, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:You can keep a solid lead, and still get it back pretty damn fast after some serious shelling.

This seems to be my biggest stumbling block at 150cc. There seems to be a lot less margin for error in this class, and small mistakes will bump you back to 4th instead of just cutting into the lead you have. The number of times I've nailed the first three circuits in a cup only to get hit by something on the final lap of the final race and come in 4th :shock:

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue May 06, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

yeah im in first for most of the race, then:

blue shell
red shell
errant green shell
bullet bill knocking me into lava or something

all within a short distance of the finish line

:(

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:16 am UTC

segmentation fault wrote:yeah im in first for most of the race, then:

blue shell
red shell
errant green shell
bullet bill knocking me into lava or something

all within a short distance of the finish line

:(

I know, right? It's especially bad when you're playing online. That's why I had to play around five races, just to get back over 5000.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

bridge

Postby bridge » Wed May 14, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:
Maseiken wrote:You can keep a solid lead, and still get it back pretty damn fast after some serious shelling.

This seems to be my biggest stumbling block at 150cc. There seems to be a lot less margin for error in this class, and small mistakes will bump you back to 4th instead of just cutting into the lead you have. The number of times I've nailed the first three circuits in a cup only to get hit by something on the final lap of the final race and come in 4th :shock:

/angell

i also found easier to do the 150cc cups with a small kart with good acceleration (i.e. Rally Romper)

Right now i'm trying to unlock stuff that comes by beating the nintendo staff ghosts
*Rally Romper (Small Kart)* Unlock an expert staff ghost data record in Time Trial mode
*Funky Kong* Unlock 4 expert staff ghost data records in Time Trial mode.
*Baby Luigi* Unlock 8 expert staff ghost data records in Time Trial mode.
*Torpedo (Large Bike)* Unlock 12 expert ghost data records in Time Trial mode

Does anyone know how to distinguish tracks on which you already unlocked the expert staff ghost?
I did it for at least four but i can't remember which ones...

protonics

Postby protonics » Wed May 14, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

You have to beat the staff ghosts by about 5-7 seconds in order to get the expert ghost.

I had forgotten which ones I had done as well, basically just play one and if you get your ass handed to you, then you've done that one already :wink:

Also....

while (true)
printf("I hate blue shells\n");

In 150cc, mirror and online, if you are not REALLY far ahead, but enough ahead that you cant make the shell chase someone else, its bs.
Further, sometimes when you brake so that others pass you, the shell still targets you because you WERE in first in the targetting window that it had.

bs.

That is all.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Wed May 14, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

okay i see no reason to ever use a kart. the bullet bike is god.

protonics

Postby protonics » Wed May 14, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

All of the world records (to my knowledge), use a bike. The flamerunner particularly.

On a side note, the Grumble Volcano WR is complete trash, major ninja hacks.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu May 15, 2008 10:42 am UTC

segmentation fault wrote:okay i see no reason to ever use a kart. the bullet bike is god.

Interesting side-note, it is also the three members of the trinity that make up God.

Aso you can see, this would mean that 3 Bullet Bikes is equal to one Bullet Bike.
This is because it is equal to infinity.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Thu May 15, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

protonics wrote:All of the world records (to my knowledge), use a bike. The flamerunner particularly.

depends on the racer. if you have bullet bike, use it. if you have flame runner, use that. personally i think the bullet bike has better handling when zooming around turns. only thing is im using dry bones mostly and he gets thrown around pretty easily.

bridge

Postby bridge » Thu May 15, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:
segmentation fault wrote:okay i see no reason to ever use a kart. the bullet bike is god.
Interesting side-note, it is also the three members of the trinity that make up God.
Aso you can see, this would mean that 3 Bullet Bikes is equal to one Bullet Bike.
This is because it is equal to infinity.

Why do people always have to question eachothers beliefs.. :lol:

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Thu May 15, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

I power slide all the time, but hate vehicles with high drift....I always hit the wall. I'm used to being able to power slide for 5-10 seconds around a series of turns all in the same direction, but with a bike, i often end up losing because of it.
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri May 16, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

you have to get used to it. the bike isnt all about the power slide. one reason why i like the bullet bike is i can slide around tight turns and get the boost quickly. the boost (for a blue boost) lasts a good period of time as well. and wheelie boost whenever you can.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat May 17, 2008 10:02 am UTC

segmentation fault wrote:you have to get used to it. the bike isnt all about the power slide. one reason why i like the bullet bike is i can slide around tight turns and get the boost quickly. the boost (for a blue boost) lasts a good period of time as well. and wheelie boost whenever you can.

Stop stealing my Ghost data and copying my playstyle...

Return to “Gaming”