Chrono Trigger

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Chrono Trigger

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:43 am UTC

I was just pointed here:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

Squeeeeeeeeeee(nix)
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.
Princess Marzipan
Bananas are fish who attack divers inland

Postby Durinthal » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

North American site: http://na.square-enix.com/ctds/
Magazine shots: http://gonintendo.com/?p=48177

It's not actually a countdown, it just shows your system clock.
Durinthal

Postby Thousand » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I read an analysis a long, long time ago that, if nothing else, suggested that Chrono's stats build much more slowly in the Japanese version than the US version. I've never read anything about that since then, though.

Off topic: This is quite interesting; I've seen other suggestions that some US games are in fact slightly easier than their Japanese and European counterparts. Games like Metal Gear Solid (PS1) might have a few extra items here and there for the American version, or you might be given more time for a time limit.

There's slightly more solid proof in the Gran Turismo series, which I've actually encountered. It would appear that for the License tests (in which, for example, you might need to reach a goal within the time limit) the boundaries are a few more seconds lenient on the American version, rather than the European. Does make the gold on many of the tests quite elusive :)

On topic: Wooooo Chrono Trigger DS! :D Finally, I'll be able to play it on something other than an emulator. I thought it'd be in 3D when I heard the announcement, but oh well. 2D will have to suffice.
Thousand

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

As I said before, it's about dang time.

Thousand wrote:
Jorpho wrote:I read an analysis a long, long time ago that, if nothing else, suggested that Chrono's stats build much more slowly in the Japanese version than the US version. I've never read anything about that since then, though.

Off topic: This is quite interesting; I've seen other suggestions that some US games are in fact slightly easier than their Japanese and European counterparts. Games like Metal Gear Solid (PS1) might have a few extra items here and there for the American version, or you might be given more time for a time limit.

Oh, it's not at all uncommon; one of the most famous examples is Final Fantasy II, derived from (but not actually identical to) the "Easy Type" version of FF4J.
Jorpho

Postby Benitosimies » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Indeed, it is an easy game.

There is nothing easy about having to abandon Robo.

:C
хлэб и Воля
Benitosimies

Postby Berengal » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

Benitosimies wrote:

There is nothing easy about having to abandon Robo.

:C

I actually thought beating the last boss knowing that the game would be over then was harder.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Kag » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Benitosimies wrote:There is nothing easy about having to abandon Robo.

Well, it's not like someone comes and throws him into a lake of lava when you try to get him back 30 seconds/400 years later.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.
Kag

Postby Larry » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:50 am UTC

OK, now I really need to buy a DS.

And import a copy from the US when they inevitably fail to release it in Australia. Didn't have easy access to ebay in 1995 :(
Larry

Postby defaultusername » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

I DO hope the DS version is released in Europe (and Australia) too. I don't see why it wouldn't be, as far as I know there is no difference in either hardware or software in DS:s from different locations (except langauge, naturally). Am I wrong here?

P.S. Chrono Trigger might be one of the best games ever, but Chrono Cross is THE best game EVARZ!!!1
Because phlogiston.
defaultusername

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

defaultusername wrote:I DO hope the DS version is released in Europe (and Australia) too. I don't see why it wouldn't be, as far as I know there is no difference in either hardware or software in DS:s from different locations (except langauge, naturally). Am I wrong here?

Any game from any region will indeed play on any DS. There's no lockouts in that respect. Of course, there may be revisions when software is released in different territories apart from difficulty tweaks or censorship; for instance, I'm told that the Euro version of FFIV Advance is less buggy than the US version.
Jorpho

Postby JayDee » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Yeah, I reckon this will be one of those games I order from the states rather than wait the extra random weeks for it to come out here.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.
JayDee

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:16 am UTC

It suddenly occurs to me that this could go very wrong. Perhaps a marketer started thinking, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if instead of just delecting the double tech, you actually had to drag Chrono and Frog around on the touchscreen to do X-Cut? And maybe with Fire Zone, we could make the player draw lots of circles!"

Touch screen gimmicks can ruin anything.
Jorpho

Postby Gojoe » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:It suddenly occurs to me that this could go very wrong. Perhaps a marketer started thinking, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if instead of just delecting the double tech, you actually had to drag Chrono and Frog around on the touchscreen to do X-Cut? And maybe with Fire Zone, we could make the player draw lots of circles!"

Touch screen gimmicks can ruin anything.

Oh me yarm! please please do not let this be the case. Square enix is pretty awesome, let us hope they dont fuck this up
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.
Gojoe

Postby Kag » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:32 am UTC

They probably won't. From the looks of it, it'll be a direct port of the PSX version, with more extras.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.
Kag

Postby Gojoe » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:51 am UTC

Kag wrote:They probably won't. From the looks of it, it'll be a direct port of the PSX version, with more extras.

Fricken awesome! This is what i want

Gojoe

Postby Ondore » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

Kag wrote:They probably won't. From the looks of it, it'll be a direct port of the PSX version, with more extras.

Hopefully one of the extras is bearable load times before battles. I just tried to play the PSX version and wanted to punch someone because of the lag between when I hit the Menu button and when it actually opens.
Ondore

Postby TheGZeus » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:26 am UTC

I read an analysis a long, long time ago that, if nothing else, suggested that Chrono's stats build much more slowly in the Japanese version than the US version. I've never read anything about that since then, though.

Hmmm.
Not ever played them side-by side... That would actually be a really hard thing to test!
To be accurate, you'd need to write all the Exp and Tech points received and stat levels...
TheGZeus

Postby psyck0 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Where exactly have you seen "looks"? I can't find screens, or any info other than the countdown site.
psyck0

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

You know, one thing I wouldn't miss would be that awful Mode 7 bike race. Sure, it might have looked cool at the time, but as a gaming experience it was thoroughly lame. Maybe they can stick in a proper race track and racing engine this time.

TheGZeus wrote:Not ever played them side-by side... That would actually be a really hard thing to test!
To be accurate, you'd need to write all the Exp and Tech points received and stat levels...

The article in question merely recorded Chrono's stats at various experience levels. Not so hard to test, really.
Jorpho

Postby Durinthal » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:Where exactly have you seen "looks"? I can't find screens, or any info other than the countdown site.

Official site
Same thing on GameVideos
Durinthal

Postby Gojoe » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

Oh me yarm it has changed... it now has a small intro...

and it now says... winter 2008....

Gojoe

Postby jtniehof » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Ondore wrote:Hopefully one of the extras is bearable load times before battles. I just tried to play the PSX version and wanted to punch someone because of the lag between when I hit the Menu button and when it actually opens.

Given that the DS is cartridge-based, I wouldn't expect load times to be an issue.
jtniehof

Postby Babam » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:10 am UTC

I have a cart thanks to my gamer gran.
dinner for kids<Zelda time
I got to the dino part, and got stuck. At one point I lost my save and got back to where I was in about 3 hours.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig
Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Maseiken » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:28 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:Oh me yarm it has changed... it now has a small intro...

and it now says... winter 2008....

It IS winter 2008...
Grumbgrumble...

What we need is a sequel that isn't Chrono Cross...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...
Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby defaultusername » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:What we need is a sequel to Chrono Cross...

Fix'd.
defaultusername

Postby Maseiken » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

defaultusername wrote:
Maseiken wrote:What we need is a sequel THAT IS NOT Chrono Cross...

Fix'd.

Re-Fix'd.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...
Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Kag » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:45 am UTC

Chrono Cross is fine. People just whinge about it because it isn't Trigger.

What we need is another sequel.
Kag

Postby Jebobek » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

I'm going to necro this for the discussion of Chrono Trigger DS and all that came with it.

-I am a big fan of the back-to-short-loading-times. CT on the PS1, i never bought, but i tried a little and went nuts after waiting forever to get to my menus.

-Disappointed on some of the sound effects with bass are just not as good as SNES. But thats just a minor pet peeve.

-The whole questline with the lizardmen village was really long and drawn-out with too much backtracking. However the ending was spiffy. I aslo like the boss battles.

-I enjoyed the overpowered rewards you got from the new monster arena. I made sure to train my monster every time I stopped by at the end of time, and by endgame I got an additional prisim specs. Nice.

I'm on the second runthrough, about to unlock my second-to-the last ending. So I'm looking forward to seeing this final dungeon and all it entails.
Jebobek

Postby Mo0man » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

Have you played it before now? Is the lizardman quest a new quest or something? Does it finally explain that whole "someone close to you is in trouble and you have to help them. FAST" thing?
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important
Mo0man

Postby Jebobek » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

Yes its a totally new quest. The town exists in the middle ages and prehistoric times. You bounce back and forth collecting items from each era, in order to get farther past the city to the different zones.

This does not explain the "someone close to you is in trouble and you have to help them. FAST" thing. However, the OTHER, new endgame dungeon apparently will
Spoiler:
with finding Schala and reuniting with Magus and such.
Called the "dimensional vortex" I believe.

Oh speaking of story, alot of the dialogue has been changed so that you can understand the story mode. Thats fine and all, but they butchered some of it. For instance, remember the monster up in the mountains that said something along the lines of "Mountains r Nice" "This is the life" "Mountains r nice".. until it gave you a magic capsule or something? Well now its different so that the two things it says don't even ryme. Its a lot of the little things that they changed up which annoyed me slightly.
Jebobek

Postby Mo0man » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

You know what annoys me? He's no longer "THE MAN", he's just "Bro"
That was pretty much my favourite part
Mo0man

Postby Jebobek » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

I know right? Why did they change those things? Its like it took the editors 2 days to fix the dialogue in the important parts, but they were paid to work 6 days. To appear useful, they began to mess around with minor text which may or may not have been considered "gems" to some people.

This is by no means 100% accurate but I'll give another example of something that bothered me.

"I hate fairs! Say, have you heard the latest gossip?"
"Yes"
"Then Scram!"

went to

"I hate fairs! Say, have you heard the latest gossip?"
"Yes"
"Then I have nothing to say."

Whuuhh? This is like ruining all the jokes in Earthbound because people came off as too "rude" or "silly".
Jebobek

Postby Mo0man » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

Didn't they rewrite everything? They had a completely new script. Kinda why I'm taking so slow to go through the game again
Mo0man

Postby Jebobek » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

No, there are most certainly identical portions of the script, where some parts are left alone altogether ("The Epoch is Capable of THIS?") but there are little edits here and there, while the long-winded explanations of things are overhauled.

I don't think "someone close to you is in trouble and you have to help them. FAST" is even in there anymore. At least I don't remember seeing him saying it that way at the end of his endgame task list. I'm about to get back to that part so I'll check.
Jebobek

Postby Mo0man » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

I just beat Magus the first time yesterday, so don't know about many of the script changes
Mo0man

Postby Tatsubei Yagyu » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:32 am UTC

I haven't gotten the chance to play the DS version of this game, but I have to say. I'm madly in love with both Chrono Trigger and Cross. I've never understood what play had against Cross, actually. I, for one, thought it was a masterpiece of the same caliber of Trigger, other than a lot of characters didn't have a lot of focus due to the massive collection you got by the end of the game.

Also, everyone didn't have a million Dual/Triple techs with each other. :(

[First post, btw. I'm Tatsubei. Nice to meet you all. ;)]
Tatsubei Yagyu

Postby Jebobek » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

I just finished the extra ending for Chrono Trigger DS. Basically, it raises a few additional questions about Magus. The new boss is interesting:
Spoiler:
Its the same final boss in Chrono Cross (Time Devourer) only in a "less advanced state" (Dream Devourer)
Its a rough fight on max speed+active battle: the boss constantly shifts barriers and does not reveal what its weakness is, unlike Magus. It also leeches life often.

And now for my stupid rant against Chrono Cross muffing up the Chrono Trigger feel.

Spoiler:
This is probably the saddest and most depressive ending, ever. This is because the writers are trying to link it up to Chrono Cross as much as possible. They show how Gaurdia falls from Poore within 5 years because Dalton decides to take over. Uhh ok, Chrono and company defeated him how many times now? Pretty stupid person to pick as the leader of Poore which somehow takes over..

Generally, my grief stems from how they show how nothing is accomplished; Magus is forced to lead a life of amnesia, Crono and company cannot truely save the world/existance, no matter how hard the player tries. Its basically Belthasar handing over artifact A and B and telling Serge to do a little game of colors. Serge's life will turn out ok; Chrono/Marle's kingdom falls. Lucca is kidnapped/killed. Robo is deleted. Frog loses the Masamune.

I understand that its the writer's right to take a steaming dump on all the previous character's and storyline's faces in order to make Chrono Cross seem OK, but for God's sake, don't start dumping some of that depressive shit at the end of Chrono Trigger! It totally goes against the feel of the game, where you get sense of accomplishment and progression. If people never played Chrono Cross they will be more depressed seeing this "your party fails, she's still trapped. The End!" bullcrap ending.

Serge needed the Chrono Cross to defeat the Time Devourer. As a time egg was needed to restore Crono, so is an egg needed to free Schala. Thats fine and all, but Crono and company should be able to Defeat the devourer and free Schala. You run into an alternate-dimension Magus and we've been running into several different endings. Its a shame that this ending is forced to follow the Chrono Cross timeline.
Jebobek

Postby Zealot » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:50 am UTC

Necro'd

I finally caved in and bought this game today (despite telling myself I'd finish Dragon Quest IV first). I'm so excited, because for once, I might actually finish this game. I've played it many times, but I've never gotten significantly far. I also have a nice new pair of headphones to use while I play (:
Zealot

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:06 am UTC

Chrono Cross sucks mostly because it tries to do way too much. There is simply NO NEED for the majority of the characters in that game. There are so many that you just find at a place and then they go with you. Or you complete an overelaborate side quest and suddenly ANOTHER CHARACTER.

The fact that the earliest character you (can) get is a fucking talking pink dog makes it VERY hard to take the game in any way other than "nonsensical." I'm still playing through it (this is my third playthrough but on my other two I lost interest when it came time to find all the dragons), and I'm seeing how it connects to Chrono Trigger and extends that storyline, but...I mean, I don't give a fuck about any of these Chrono Cross characters. And you could with small effort excise Chrono Trigger from the plot entirely, and build a plot that doesn't rely on it. It would mimic it, but it's...it's like they tried to have it relate as weakly as possible. Plus, the gameplay is COMPLETELY different.
Chrono Trigger - ATB system, time travel across five eras, character combo attacks integral to success.
Chrono Cross - Opaque "timing" system, interdimensional travel across...two...dimensions...that don't even interact, character combo attacks are extremely rare and need never be used.
It truly doesn't feel like a sequel. It feels like a completely unrelated game but given a fanfic plot.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.
Princess Marzipan
Bananas are fish who attack divers inland

Postby wisnij » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:24 am UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:Chrono Cross sucks mostly because it tries to do way too much. There is simply NO NEED for the majority of the characters in that game. There are so many that you just find at a place and then they go with you. Or you complete an overelaborate side quest and suddenly ANOTHER CHARACTER.

That's pretty much the gist of most summaries of the game I've read or had described to me. What I think made Chrono Trigger so great was not just that it had good gameplay, but a really good and involving plot which integrated with the gameplay well. Even if in increases variety in a purely combinatoric sense, there's no way to add scads of new characters without losing some of the focus and emotional resonance of the first game.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.
wisnij

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming