Mass Effect : Meet and Fuck

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Re: Mass Effect

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:58 am UTC

^ I think I saw somewhere that it would work on XP

Anyway, I'm also happy about that. In may too, so not too far off. I'll have my new computer by then too... which will be possibly slightly more expensive than is strictly sane, but that should have some benefits in gaming.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

I loved this game for one reason, above all:

Spoiler:
I talked the main villain into shooting. himself. in. the. head.

In what other game is *that* a viable end to a long-awaited confrontation?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I loved this game for one reason, above all:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The only thing I can think of that's anywhere close is in KotOR 2 when you have to talk Sion to death, but that doesn't really count since there's no option to just hack him to pieces.

I'm very happy about the May release too. It's long enough that I'll be able to acquire the funds for a few bits of RAM and the game itself, but not long enough to make the wait excruciating or interfere with my plans over the summer.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:35 am UTC

Yay' I'll be able to play through it finally!

Any word on if the new content will be included, or even available for the PC version, I only skimmed the annoncement but didn't see anything.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:00 am UTC

Given the DLC is coming in March, I'd imagine it'd be a part of it.

FoS

Postby FoS » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:52 am UTC

Spoiler:

Have you heard of a little game called Fallout 2?
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Hephesus

Postby Hephesus » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

FoS wrote:I loved this game for one reason, above all:

Yes, but what you are thinking of happens in Fallout 1 :-p

/game geek.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Well, I decided to start a new game with a Soldier (mainly to get the rest of the gun achievements) this weekend on Hard, and, well, the difficulty has gone way up from Normal. Not to the point that it's frustrating, but it's definitely a different (and possibly better) game. On the minus side, my stupid teammates are still better at getting in my way and dying than shooting things.

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Hah. I loved that. I was taking the really good guy route, and when I got to that point, I went. "Wait... Wha... Did I... HOLY FUCK!"
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

I'm playing Mass Effect at the moment. Yes, i'm always about 6 months behind the times, because I always wait until they're fairly cheap second hand...

There are a few annoying things: Too much meaningless blah that you end up not really giving a crap about. Some pretty bad voice acting at points, and some fairly cheesy storybits. Mako handles like a twig being dragged on a string. The faffing (as in, skill points, weapons, upgrades) gets pretty tiresome as well, especially when you get to the item limit (which I end up doing quite frequently). And, of course, the hours of walking around in circles getting lost.

HOWEVER - apart from that, it's pretty good. Some of the decisions in the storyline really make you stop and think, and make you care about the characters. I hope its a view of games to come.. although i was pretty miffed by the devil's plan to make Mass Effect a franchise forever and ever. Why does every new game nowadays (read: every new IP for EA) have to be beaten with the money stick? Original ideas FTW! Mass Effect isn't the sort of game that can be repeated so easily; i'd like to think that it should be a bit more intricate than that.

rabuf

Postby rabuf » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:although i was pretty miffed by the devil's plan to make Mass Effect a franchise forever and ever. Why does every new game nowadays (read: every new IP for EA) have to be beaten with the money stick? Original ideas FTW! Mass Effect isn't the sort of game that can be repeated so easily; i'd like to think that it should be a bit more intricate than that.

Mass Effect was planned as a trilogy prior to EA acquiring BioWare. This is mentioned on the Wikipedia page for it under the sequels section. I've spent a bit of time looking for other articles mentioning it, I know they exist but I'm not having much luck (or looking terribly hard).

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

rabuf wrote:
SomeoneElse wrote:although i was pretty miffed by the devil's plan to make Mass Effect a franchise forever and ever. Why does every new game nowadays (read: every new IP for EA) have to be beaten with the money stick? Original ideas FTW! Mass Effect isn't the sort of game that can be repeated so easily; i'd like to think that it should be a bit more intricate than that.

Mass Effect was planned as a trilogy prior to EA acquiring BioWare. This is mentioned on the Wikipedia page for it under the sequels section. I've spent a bit of time looking for other articles mentioning it, I know they exist but I'm not having much luck (or looking terribly hard).

Yeah, I heard that they planned it to be a sequel, which could be interesting and starwarsesque... but EA barging in (ie, not the creative team behind it, but just the people who print the CDs and make monies) and banking on years of the same ol' Mass Effect? Hum.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:51 am UTC

Imma get the PC version sometime. It looks more epic than the 300 Spartans fighting Metroids and Zerg in Rl'yeh.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Any word on if the new content will be included, or even available for the PC version, I only skimmed the annoncement but didn't see anything.

The DLC for the PC version will be available as a FREE download at launch. (source Bioware)
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

The new content is pretty meh and really irrelevant to the story. I think I finished it in two hours.

I really didn't have much trouble with getting lost though, most of the levels are pretty linear and the uncharted planets are pretty good about putting markers precisely where you need to go.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

I keep finding myself going back so I dont get any bad guy renagade points, I am a pure soul.

Of course, this makes some missions complicated.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

I'm totally taking the bastard path. My solution to everything will be something like shooting people in the face and possibly insulting them.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

My first playthrough I played it pretty middling leaning more towards Paragon. I'm playing Renegade this time, though. It's fun telling people to fuck off. On the minus side, very little seems to actually change.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Hephesus wrote:
FoS wrote:I loved this game for one reason, above all:

Yes, but what you are thinking of happens in Fallout 1 :-p

/game geek.

I'm not sure if FO2 requires spoilers so I will anyway
Spoiler:
you can talk Horrigan to death, and IIRC you can talk the VP into killling the Pres or talk the pres out of his card so you don't have to kill him/steal it.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed May 07, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

Haha EA hates PC gamers.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/05/mass-effect-pc.html

DRM: SecuROM that only allows three activations after which you have to call customer service and have then reactivate it. IN ADDITION, the game phones home every 5-10 days to check that you're using the same activation key and "computer info." Hope you don't change your hardware while playing Mass Effect.

Chance it will be easily pirated: 1:1

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed May 07, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

I was thinking of maybe buying that game if it wasnt too expensive and the new features looked really cool.

My mind is made up now, and I like my money where it is.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed May 07, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

I was going to buy it legitimately anyway because I can't be bothered to go through all the crap to get it for free, and I don't even have one DVD in my house, let alone five to burn the separate chunks of the file on to but shit that's excessive. I... don't see why they're being so horribly, horribly paranoid. So you can only re-install it three times before you need to call EA? That's complete shit. Bloody hell.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed May 07, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

Wait why does the PC version take five DVDs? The 360 game is on a single disc. I can understand two, with one being an install disc, but FIVE?

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed May 07, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

Higher res graphics probably. I mean, we want to be able to zoom in and see each individual grain in a bowl of rice that the namelessNPC-52 is eating in the mess hall, right?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed May 07, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Oh right, that makes sense.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed May 07, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Wait why does the PC version take five DVDs? The 360 game is on a single disc. I can understand two, with one being an install disc, but FIVE?

Generally I can only seem to find 4.7ish gig DVDs, and the game'll take 10, maybe 15 gigs of space. I was perhaps hyperbolising, but meh.

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Thu May 08, 2008 11:58 am UTC

Where did you see that it takes five DVDs ? Never saw it mentioned anywhere...
Anyway that won't change the game itself...

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Fri May 09, 2008 7:05 am UTC

I personally don't understand the "phone home" system. The idea is that the game checks with EA to see if the CD key is still valid and hasn't been banned, correct?

So what happens when a legit key gets banned because somebody hacked with it?

Uh, oops.

Piracy: 1
Legitimate Consumers: 0

I want to BE a game designer, so I can see their point. I'd rather not have somebody stealing what I worked on (or in EA's case, stealing what I paid somebody else to work on so I could put my name on their work - why is it that that will get you kicked out of school, but in the corporate world, it is okay?). But - what the FUCK? They have designed the most efficient system I can think of to fuck over consumers while waving cheerily at and congratulating the pirates without actually devising a system that instantly formats your hard disk and sets your computer on fire if a legitimate install is detected.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri May 09, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

So let's try to get a boycot of Mass Effect going (I'm not even going to try one with Spore, it won't happen). Don't pirate it either or it just gives EA reason to say "Look, they pirated our game, that's why it sold poorly!"

Seriously, I'd say either really basic CD checks or Steam are the best way to go. They're effective enough to prevent casual piracy, but bearable.
Last edited by Amnesiasoft on Fri May 09, 2008 3:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Fri May 09, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

But I want to play it !

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri May 09, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Wait why does the PC version take five DVDs? The 360 game is on a single disc. I can understand two, with one being an install disc, but FIVE?

Generally I can only seem to find 4.7ish gig DVDs, and the game'll take 10, maybe 15 gigs of space. I was perhaps hyperbolising, but meh.

Dual layer DVDs can hold up to 9.4GB of data, and the stuff that comes on the discs is in compressed form anyway, so it doesn't take up nearly as much space on the disc as it does on your hard drive. Given EA/Bioware's idiotic approach to piracy 'prevention', I'll probably not buy it though. I refuse to give my money to companies this idiotic. Why aren't these people learning from Stardock!?

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri May 09, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Edawan wrote:But I want to play it !

But look at it this way, if Mass Effect fails horribly because of the DRM, 1) EA will (hopefully) remove it, and 2) It will hopefully scare them enough to not be this stupid with the more important game of Spore.

FACM

Postby FACM » Fri May 09, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

EA/Bioware recently decided against the 10-day check, going to once at install-time and again when installing new content. No disc required to play. It's better. Still a bit worried about issues if the initial activations don't work out like Bioshock had.

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Sat May 10, 2008 8:40 am UTC

Yeah, good news about removing the whole 10-day thing. I think I'll have faith in bioware handling the activation stuff, or at least give them the benefit of the doubt, but then again I would probably still have bought it even with the old system.
Look, look! I'm a rocket

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat May 10, 2008 8:54 am UTC

Woohoo, boycott successful! and the product hasn't even been released yet :P

So, anyway. I'm still not planning on getting the game. I've not been able to figure out all the hype behind Mass Effect. So I'll be skipping over this...again.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat May 10, 2008 10:01 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Woohoo, boycott successful! and the product hasn't even been released yet :P

Exponential!

Now all that's left to worry about is getting that extra gig of RAM and a Shader 3.0 capable video card...

aion7

Postby aion7 » Sun May 11, 2008 1:05 am UTC

Crescent wrote:Yeah, good news about removing the whole 10-day thing. I think I'll have faith in bioware handling the activation stuff, or at least give them the benefit of the doubt, but then again I would probably still have bought it even with the old system.

Same. Also, I feel an intense urge to crotchthrust because of the changing back to partial sanity. Damn. I'm sitting down. I can't crotchthrust while sitting down.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Sun May 11, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

Yes they dropped the 10-days-thing BUT we'll now be limited to 3 installs of the game, which sucks even more. For any more installs you'll have to contact EA's support.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun May 11, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

The 3-installs thing was there before, too.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Mon May 12, 2008 7:18 am UTC

Edawan wrote:Yes they dropped the 10-days-thing BUT we'll now be limited to 3 installs of the game, which sucks even more. For any more installs you'll have to contact EA's support.

Yeah, and to be honest I'll have faith in bioware handling it if EA drops the ball, they have a good history of supporting their games, just look at nwn1 they're releasing a new patch and nwn is a pretty old game at this point.
Look, look! I'm a rocket

Return to “Gaming”