Rock Band (Merged Endless Setlist)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

McLovin

Re: Rock Band

Postby McLovin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

DYRE wrote:Also, I still can't do Foreplay/Long Time. What the hell am I supposed to do for that song?

If all you're looking to do is pass it, try what I did: skip every other red when that Bass+green - red - red - bass+blue pattern comes up. Got me through the beginning of the song, and I still managed to 5 star it with 93%. Now, if anyone has any tips for Run to the Hills, I'm willing to listen.

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

Have it...LOVE it. I don't care what you "real" drummers say. The drums in Rock Band do teach you something. I sat down at a drum kit after having never played in my life before and was able to get out a pretty good rhythm after playing Rock Band for a few weeks (I was in my local music store buying some guitar strings and couldn't help but give it a shot).

And as a "real" guitar player. Dude...I could care less if it was realistic or not because it's a game. Moreover, it certainly can't HURT your guitar playing (unless you injure yourself so I do recommend reading about using the correct form when holding a guitar so your wrists don't suffer unnecessary pain). In fact I would argue that it would strengthen your hand, and improve rhythm and coordination pretty well.

I think a lot of people have this idea in their heads that the ultimate goal of games is to strive towards realism. I tend to disagree. If I want realism I go out and really do whatever it is (given that it's possible). I play games to escape reality, not to try and simulate it. But that's just me...

As an aside...check out this thread for another guitar game that DOES teach you how to play a real guitar. I'm exceedingly excited to see how it plays out.
Life is "trying things to see if they work".
-Ray Bradbury

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:33 am UTC

If there is one song I would like to see on Rock Band, it's Superstition by Stevie Wonder.

I like the game. Expert Guitar isn't insanely difficult like Guitar Hero 3 but still challenging enough. The drums are ridiculously fun, yet my set seems to be on its way to defective (the yellow pad is on its way out the door) so I can't do much more than Hard. Skill or equipment wise.

The one problem I have is the ridiculously low tolerance for pitch in Expert Vocals. The only reason I would do expert vocals are for the achievements and never again. Singing falsetto just to have the sort of control they need does not shout rampant fun to me. I'll stick on Hard.

Also, the Boston pack is quite fun on all instruments I have tried.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:If there is one song I would like to see on Rock Band, it's Superstition by Stevie Wonder.

YES!!

Dude, that song makes my feet move. The bass line would be pretty cool too.

I somehow doubt we'll see much Stevie wonder on Rock band any time soon though, but who knows...who knows...
-Ray Bradbury

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

ALBUM #1: Judas Priest -- "Screaming For Vengeance". Thoughts?

I haven't played any of it yet, as I downloaded it this morning before leaving for work. I also don't know any of the songs at all.
/me preemptively ducks brick
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Balalaika Gap

Postby Balalaika Gap » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

I don't actually own Rock Band but I play at my best friend's house a lot.

I'm pretty unexcited about the Judas Priest, but the next two full albums they've announced? The Cars - The Cars & The Pixies - Doolittle? EXTREMELY cool. I can't wait.

I'd love to see them add some Smiths songs. Great guitar lines & great instrumentation in general.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

THIS JUST IN: "SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE" EXPERT DRUMS IS MADE OF WIN. That is all.
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:01 am UTC

I AM PERPETUAL
I KEEP THE COUNTRY CLEAN

Electric Eye. So much fun.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

zealo

Postby zealo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:12 am UTC

i would like to see some karnivool songs on rock band, but the gaming industry hates australia, so it won't happen :(
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

Stief

Postby Stief » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

100% singing Still Alive :mrgreen:

sure, it was on easy... :wink:

Oh, and my friend's bro imported it because he couldn't wait or something, that's how I'm magically playing the unreleased Rock Band in the UK
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

McLovin wrote:Now, if anyone has any tips for Run to the Hills, I'm willing to listen.

This is late as hell, but I just passed this song recently, so why not?

First of all: Light sticks. If you have the heavy sticks, you're going to kill your arms halfway through the song.

Second: Drums that don't fail at red rolls. You can test this on any song at all -- rack up some overdrive, then during a fill, play a fast, consistently spaced roll on the red pad. If your red pad drops notes, it'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Now that you've got the right equipment, my best advice is just play the fucker. Over and over and over.

Remember that the right hand is always on the eighth-note beats and the left hand is always between those. Most of the time this will mean that your left hand doesn't leave the red pad; the only exceptions I can think of at this moment is when you play the parts that go Y YYG or Y YYB; those should be sticked as R RLR (so you get one yellow hit in with the left hand before moving it back to the red pad), and the famous RRRRYYYYBBBBGGGGG rolls. For those, just keep the up-down motion going and sweep the pads. You'll miss half the notes; don't worry about that so much, the best thing you can do is keep your rhythm.

Once you figure out where your weak parts are, you can think about applying overdrive during those parts. For me, my weakest part is when it switches to (RK)RRRRR(RK)RRRRR(RK)RRR(RK)RRRRR(RK)RRRRR(RK)RRR(RK)RRRRR..... You want to be comfortable enough that you don't apply overdrive until you absolutely need it -- fills are EVERYWHERE in this song so you can generally wait a fairly long time depending on how crappy your playing gets when you hit your tough spot.

The one semi-difficult thing about waiting to apply overdrive is that (since fills are EVERYWHERE), it's easy to have your rhythm broken -- especially since the song is all over the place tempo-wise (I think it's between 167 and 185 or somesuch nonsense). The best thing I can say here is to try to stay as consistent as possible, and don't mentally panic when you miss ten in a row.

Also relating to tempo is the beginning of the "hard part" (right after the gigantic speed up, coming out of the YYYYYYYYYYYYY YB YYY.... parts) -- it starts fast (148), and about a measure later it's faster (171). It's imperceptible unless you know it's there, and that measure's worth of "not quite fast enough" can really confuse your hands unless you're watching out for it. If you don't "settle in" to the tempo until the first crash, you should be ok here.

Good luck!
31/M/taken/US

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

Has anyone else had any issues with audio lag when playing the drum fills or with the microphone?

I've had Rock Band for some time now but had been playing it (X-Box 360) on an old CRT television with the standard definition audio/video cable (red, yellow, white). When using that television (or any CRT television for that matter) Rock Band worked perfectly. No calibration necessary, simply set the game to play on the "CRT" option in the calibration menu and I noticed no lag whatsoever when playing the drum fills. Recently I bought a new T.V. LCD 47" HD all the bells and whistles (Phillips).
So I went to hook up Rock Band and started playing the drums. I noticed the lag immediately so I went into the calibration menu and was able to fix it so that when I'm playing along with the notes it's not noticeable. However, whenever I hit a drum fill I notice a significant amount of lag (60ms maybe) between when I actually hit the pad and when I hear the sound.

I've messed with the calibration and have gotten it so it's playable but the fills are still off. When I take it and plug it back into my CRT T.V. the problem goes away. So I know that it has something to do with the T.V. Like I said, playable but just annoying enough to make the game a little less fun.

Also, I'm currently not using an audio system (I.E. no receiver or speaker system, just the T.V. speakers)

Has anyone had this problem? Or might anyone know what's causing it, maybe how to fix it??
-Ray Bradbury

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu May 08, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

Gizzmo0815 wrote:Has anyone else had any issues with audio lag when playing the drum fills or with the microphone?

Yes. There isn't squat you can do about it.

The Lag Calibration screen is great for having the game engine compensate for lag; that's what it's designed to do, and it does it very well. The signal takes a certain amount of time to get from the drum pad to the game, and if the game knows that interval, it can account for it when it judges your accuracy -- but no amount of calibration will "actually" remove the lag to get your hits to make noise "when they should". Same with the mic. Audio lag is basically 100% unavoidable unfortunately.
31/M/taken/US

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

The Lag Calibration screen is great for having the game engine compensate for lag; that's what it's designed to do, and it does it very well. The signal takes a certain amount of time to get from the drum pad to the game, and if the game knows that interval, it can account for it when it judges your accuracy -- but no amount of calibration will "actually" remove the lag to get your hits to make noise "when they should". Same with the mic. Audio lag is basically 100% unavoidable unfortunately.

Makes perfect sense. It wouldn't be so disconcerting if I knew that the game CAN actually work with zero (I know "zero" is a relative term but zero to my ears anyhow) lag and all of a sudden I buy a BETTER system and the game gets WORSE. Frustrating...

But what about my T.V. is actually causing the lag? Is it the fact that the video is processing slower? Or would it be some kind of fancy audio processor? I'm using the composite cables that come with the X-Box 360 Pro so I'm still just using regular red/white audio cables for the sound (I.E. I haven't switched to optical or HDMI sound).

My T.V. has some auto-surround options that I can turn off, but that doesn't make a difference the lag is still there. So is it a hardware issue? Some fancy shmancy audio processor in my T.V.?
-Ray Bradbury

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu May 08, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Gizzmo0815 wrote:But what about my T.V. is actually causing the lag?

Not sure, but it's probably the same as mine. With my new TV I have it set to something crazy like 100 ms (or maybe even 110); with my SDTV it was only 40.

EDIT: I'm trying playing with the graphics settings. We'll see what happens.
Last edited by rrwoods on Thu May 08, 2008 10:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
31/M/taken/US

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu May 08, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

It's the same thing with changing channels. Plugged into standard cable, my parents' TV takes maybe a quarter second to change channels, tops. Then you go somewhere with satellite or digital cable or even just a new TV, and it takes seconds to change. Makes channel surfing almost impossible.

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

I've tried playing with the various resolution settings (changing from 480p to 720p to 1080p) and no dice there, same problem. I just suspect that it's something to do with the audio processor in my T.V.

I don't notice it with other games, but then again I never really paid attention to audio timing with other games. Since Rock Band requires timing down to the millisecond you would notice slight audio imperfections more than in a game where you're say, watching someone talk. Or shooting a gun.

I suspect that my old CRT doesn't have any sort of digital audio processor or analog to digital conversion...just a hardwired audio circuit so there wouldn't be any lag then. But once you start adding in fancy speakers onto a T.V. you also have to add fancy technology to match...the downside is that you start to have to worry about your T.V. processing audio more like a computer rather than just an audio device.

Frustrating...frustrating.

Using the calibration I can absolutely make the game playable, but it seems like the lag with just always be there with this T.V. when ad-libbing with the drums (I also notice a delay on the microphone).
-Ray Bradbury

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu May 08, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

I would guess it's processing of the video, not audio signal. Since the video and audio have to remain in sync, the audio then gets slowed down to match.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri May 09, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

Gizzmo0815 wrote:I've tried playing with the various resolution settings (changing from 480p to 720p to 1080p) and no dice there, same problem.

Yep, that's what I found as well. Sucks, but it's livable. Although some XBL players might get pissed at you for "not keeping the beat" during a fill.
31/M/taken/US

CVSoul

Rock Band's Endless Setlist

Postby CVSoul » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:19 am UTC

I saw no topic for this in the search, so I'm going to bring it up since it's kind of an intersting topic. Other tips on Rock Band could go here as well, although Im not certain how many people play it.

My brother and I just finished Rock Band. The only reason we never finished it before was that back then we were playing it for FUN.
In order to finish the game, and achieve Platinum Artist status (which is SO amazing that people get 5 XBL gamerscore just for playing a song with you) you need to finish a demonic 58-song set on Expert. Yes, that IS every song in the game, minus anything you've downloaded.

Why, you may ask. Why should I spend 4 continuous hours playing a music game when we aren't in the middle of a nuclear holocaust? There are multiple answers. One may be that you can do this with your friends, after all you have to do Band World Tour to even get there. The trouble with this is that there's about a snowball's chance in Hell of you finding someone capable, much less willing, of drumming every song in a row on Expert. Sure, mabye someone will do it on medium, but then you only get medium awards and money and fans. So, ignore that.
Let's just say you have one friend or relative that is a Guitar Hero fanboy, and nobody else is available all day. And possibly all night. Well then, the timing is perfect! My brother gets 90% on GH3's Dragonforce BS, and can play the high frets without losing, so he's obviously my lead guitar player, but as long as you're proficient in Hard guitar hero you'd do fine on the expert level bass music. No more excuses. You and your pet fanboy have played through the whole game, sit magestically in the hall of fame, and have a day off. Obviously, you still don't want to risk your fingers falling off after a 58 song set.

The only reason I can possibly think of for playing RB's endless setlist is not the achievement, or the fancy icon you get on the health bar afterwards. Oh, no, it's the fans. The setlist on Expert, averaging about 4 and a half stars, only provides about a million of them (which is still a lot, but if you've opened this set it's probably nothing to you.) However, after you get Legendary status as an artist, you make about 30x more fans per any-other-song-in-the-game than you did before. I had no idea about this until it happened. I got 1,023,000 fans for the endless setlist, and then the next song I played in Sidney gave me more than that. So, if you're going for the leaderboards, it's a must. If you want something to brag about to people who won't beat you up for it, it's still a good idea.

The setlist on its own is 4 hours with no breaks. But you'll want breaks. So you can always hit the Xbox Guide button and walk away for as long as you need, as long as you understand that leaving a 360 running overnight will hurt your energy bill.

I may as well offer some other tidbits of advice, while I'm on the subject and double posting isn't allowed.

If the manager offers you a bonus for getting x stars on every song, don't take it. There's no guarantees. You may be easily able to, as a band, get 5 stars on expert on every song. But there's not much chance for you to do that on every song in a row.
Also, on any guitar part, try to not hit the fret buttons as hard. The game starts out with all those boring songs you had to play 20 times over in your starting cities. The good stuff doesn't really happen till after at least 35 songs.
Green Grass and High Tides is song no. 50. Take a break before this one unless you're a singer or a god. My fingers hurt before this, and since I don't regularly exercise my hands I cramped up really bad on the bass part of the second solo. (second half of the song.) After that it's all pretty much easier guitarwise. I have no idea how hard anything is on drums, so, whatever.
Next tip: if you're going to do this at all, you're only gonna want to do it once. If anyone on your band can't play every song on Expert, don't include them. You'll want all the achievements at once. The same way you don't play through Halo 3 three times over for the achievements but rather just play it on Legendary; Treat this the same way because Halo 3 campaign and the Endless Setlist take about the same amount of time (<-LOL at that please, it's not quite serious).
You unlock no new instruments for finishing the Endless Setlist, but you do get a decent wad of cash.

Also, the manager no longer accepts your calls after this. you've WON the game. It's OK! You're free!

Anyway, this setlist's bonus opens up a lot of mysteries. The best band on the leaderboards has like 400M fans, but after getting platinum I could probably knock that out in a week.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

Aethernox

Re: Rock Band (Merged Endless Setlist)

Postby Aethernox » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

Wow. I can play every song on Rock band, on expert, with relative ease(I was playing lead, by the way). But the endless setlist.. ugh. Seriously. I played it on medium, simply because I couldn't take four hours of expert. And even then, my wrist was throbbing the next day. Needless to say, I haven't enjoyed rock band since.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Aethernox wrote:Wow. I can play every song on Rock band, on expert, with relative ease(I was playing lead, by the way). But the endless setlist.. ugh. Seriously. I played it on medium, simply because I couldn't take four hours of expert. And even then, my wrist was throbbing the next day. Needless to say, I haven't enjoyed rock band since.

Bah, I look forward to that endless setlist. I just hope my bassist can get through GG&HT.
31/M/taken/US

espire

Postby espire » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

There was some mentioning of the Wii version of Rock Band earlier in the thread. I only own a Wii, but I've temporarily traded my Wii for my friend's Xbox 360 (I can play Rock Band, and he can play Smash). I don't plan to buy Rock Band for the Wii, not because I have a month to play it now, but because the Wii version is so crippled. Rather than making a proper Wii version, Harmonix contracted a developer to port the PS2 version to Wii, and blamed the lack of features on Nintendo, claiming that they weren't possible to implement. Of course, Guitar Hero 4 for the Wii is going to be a proper release, with all the features that Harmonix claimed weren't possible.
DANGER! RAPTORS! IT'S SAFE HERE

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

Yeah... I'm pretty pissed about the fact that they ported the ps2 version to the wii.

I've played rock band 3 times. I'm hooked.
I don't want to work, I want to bang on the drum all day.

I might get a 360 for rockband.
maybe.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I might get a 360 for rockband.
maybe.

I did.

It's totally worth it. I can't stop playing.
31/M/taken/US

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Yeah... I'm pretty pissed about the fact that they ported the ps2 version to the wii.

Ok, here's the secret: the Wii IS a PS2. At least, as far as processing and graphics power go. The diffences, besides that the controller is shaped differently, lie in deciding whether you want wifi and laser pointers or a DVD player and a gaming demographic over age 12.

Rock band really is best for the 360, because guitar hero guitars don't work in rock band on the ps3 -- And you need a bassist.

My word of advice: if you don't already have Rock Band, and especially if you can play @ a friend's house, DON'T BUY IT. Wait for Guitar Hero 4, which has been announced as basically Rock Band, only better. For example, the drums can use star power wherever they want and they claim you won't have to play the same Nirvana song 20 times before you can go to Europe. Since it will come with a whole new set of peripherals, because the guitar and drums will have different shapes for different functions, it'll cost as much as rock band did when it first came out. I'm saving my money now.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

espire

Postby espire » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

CVSoul wrote:
Jessica wrote:Yeah... I'm pretty pissed about the fact that they ported the ps2 version to the wii.

Ok, here's the secret: the Wii IS a PS2. At least, as far as processing and graphics power go. The diffences, besides that the controller is shaped differently, lie in deciding whether you want wifi and laser pointers or a DVD player and a gaming demographic over age 12.

Not to start a console war or anything, but that's very untrue, and it's what I'd expect to read from the post of an immature fanboy. While the Wii is certainly not in the same tier as the Xbox 360 and the PS3, it is significantly more powerful than anything of the previous generation of game consoles. Your second point is vastly exaggerated.

Wait a moment, why am I responding to your post, when I obviously don't care much for what you have to say? Because I do care for what you have to say. The following:
Rock band really is best for the 360, because guitar hero guitars don't work in rock band on the ps3 -- And you need a bassist.

My word of advice: if you don't already have Rock Band, and especially if you can play @ a friend's house, DON'T BUY IT. Wait for Guitar Hero 4, which has been announced as basically Rock Band, only better. For example, the drums can use star power wherever they want and they claim you won't have to play the same Nirvana song 20 times before you can go to Europe. Since it will come with a whole new set of peripherals, because the guitar and drums will have different shapes for different functions, it'll cost as much as rock band did when it first came out. I'm saving my money now.

Is excellent advice. You should get Rock Band for the 360, and if you don't have one, wait for Guitar Hero 4 on the console that you own.

My apologies if I vastly misunderstood what you said about the Wii, and was overly mean and nasty for no reason. Also, my apologies to everybody for being fanboy-like.
DANGER! RAPTORS! IT'S SAFE HERE

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

Ah, good. I will wait for gh4 then, as it seems the wii has all the functionality of the other games. If not the graphics.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:30 am UTC

Any guitarist-players have any particular favourites with the little sound changing switch thing (No idea what it is called, sorry real guitarists) on songs?

I have to say wah wah sounds awesome on Countdown To Insanity by Hblock-x

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

Hammerhead's drum part makes me cry. The only thing I can do is the intro. Tips? Anyone?
31/M/taken/US

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

:o According to sources it seems that the european has bonus european songs!
Which on the negative side need americans who bought them as dlc to do online or find other europeans.

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

The European bonus songs aren't that great to me. I mean, Tokio Hotel. Tokio Hotel. On ROCK Band.

DLC I want to see:

Modest Mouse, mentioned earlier in the thread. While it would neglect other instruments, singing World At Large would be awesome.
Red Hot Chili Peppers. Anything. ANYTHING.
Older Offspring songs.
Queen. A reprise of Killer Queen, maybe?
Jimi Hendrix, goddamnit. Long overdue.

That's all I can think of now
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:
willwithskills wrote: I colored sufficiently large purpose on my tail end.

You have a large red hiney?

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

But Muse! (also that Perfekte Welle is awesome)

DLC i'd like to see:
More freezepop.
More Garbage.
Some Gorillaz.
Some Hard-Fi.

+ many more.

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

Anyway, I have an epic endless setlist story.

I bring to friends over for the night, because the endless setlist would take a while. I was on expert guitar, my best friend, and the only person that could play all expert drums songs, played drums. I had another friend who was a bit worse than me at guitar so he took bass. We were having a great time, just palling around. At about 30 songs we took a short break. Then, tragedy struck. My best friend retook the drums and played a roll to warm up.

ON THE RED PAD.

He exited us out of endless set list halfway through! He was mortified, and him and my other friend just gave up. I had none of it, gave a rousing speech (I came to finish the endless set list, and, by god, I AM GOING TO DO IT!!!) and we continued to play the entire set list in a row with no breaks except for the bathroom. Afterwards my exhausted drummer immediately fell asleep and me and my other friend scared ourselves shitless in Condemned 2.

Ah, good times.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Last semester there was a Rock Band contest at my campus.

Turns out, it was far less awesome than you'd think.

For reasons that aren't quite clear to me, one of the requirements of every band was that one of their two songs be Dani California. There were a lot of bands in the competition. A good deal of them left after this began to sink in. Those that remained, including us, vehemently swore off that song for a very long time after the event ended (it lasted around 5 hours). Otherwise, the audience and the performing band faced the same direction, leaving less room for performance creativity (admittedly, it made successful attempts all the more impressive-- our guitarist spent most of his time walking around freestyling), and the equipment deteriorated rapidly.

Oh, and the prizes?

1st place was the xbox we'd just been using. Not bad, if you don't already own one (at the time, a 50/50 chance). We did.
2nd place was the rock band kit we'd just been (ab)using.
3rd place was GHIII. Ironically, it was the single prize that the winners probably didn't have already.
//TODO: Write funny sig

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

is the "Still Alive" song on it the Portal song ??? ... if it is .. YE HAH!
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

It's not an on-disc song, but it's a 0-point download (at least for 360, don't know about PS3).
31/M/taken/US

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:It's not an on-disc song, but it's a 0-point download (at least for 360, don't know about PS3).

Yes it's on the PS3 for free, and yeah, it's the portal song.
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:07 am UTC

I just recently got the new RHCP DLC for Rock Band, and I gotta say, Snow ((Hey Oh)) is one hell of a hard song. It took me a while, but I finally bested it. It made my left wrist hurt so badly, though.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:

hipp5

Postby hipp5 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

I worked for campus security this year and one night we got a complaint that there was a huge party going on in the upstairs flat of one of the university-owned houses. My supervisor knocked on the door all ready to deal with swarms of asshole partiers. When he opens the door he's shocked to find that this 'party' is in fact four tiny little Asian girls play Rock Band.

Return to “Gaming”