World of darkness

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: World of darkness

Postby Jessica » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

Again, we're just going to keep disagreeing.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

FACM

Postby FACM » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I also mourn what they've done to the spirit world. It used to be rich and symbolic and important. You could run long vision quests and voyages of self discovery and madness in there. Now it seems to just be "a bad place where scary things come from" and the Garou (or whatever they're calling them now) are just ghostbusters with fur.

Sigh.

On the other hand, the old spirit world was too interesting. There were 3 games (Werewolf, Changeling, Mage) that could pretty much take place entirely in the spirit world, with little or no need to actually get involved with Earthly politics, which is half of the point of the WoD. I suppose that kind of flexibility is great, but then you're making up everything and using maybe 50 pages of the 300 page book sitting in front of you. You could probably do that just as well with a system designed with such possibilities in mind, like GURPS as you mentioned.

And, I don't see the Fera (new Garou) as being that different. They just changed profession from eco-terrorist to ghostbusters.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:16 pm UTC

That's, uh, not a weakness.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

FACM wrote:On the other hand, the old spirit world was too interesting. There were 3 games (Werewolf, Changeling, Mage) that could pretty much take place entirely in the spirit world, with little or no need to actually get involved with Earthly politics, which is half of the point of the WoD.

Oh no! My game world is too deep! I can run more than one chronicle without exhausting all of the themes and setting material! It's almost like I got my money's worth!

And, I don't see the Fera (new Garou) as being that different. They just changed profession from eco-terrorist to ghostbusters.

They lost their war and their spirituality, which were the factors that drew me to them in the first place. Also, I think you have your terms wrong. Fera was an oWoD catchall term for non-Garou shapechangers. Corax, Mokole, Ratkin, etcetera.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

FACM

Postby FACM » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

Yes, my terms are off. Uratha is the new term for werewolves, and I had to go to white-wolf.com to look that up. I knew Fera was relevant somehow to Werewolf, but was wrong about how. Not that I've done anything in either WoD for years, besides being mostly worthless in a [relatively] huge ass-LARP.

Yes, the moved hyphen is appropriate. At peak, it was about 25 people in a local venue with 5 or so visiting from other areas. There were lots of people in social power positions, but there were 5 or so people with extreme stats. One had Blood Potency 8, equivalent to a 5th gen from old Vampire. Pretty much every character that wasn't one of these 5 people spent combat running away and declaring fair escape [or dying, depending on initiative]. Would have been fine, if the ST didn't make every puzzle involve combat at some point in a session. The only political power I managed to get into was the local group of Independents, which were targeted for being the 2nd biggest faction there [Intersting LARP rule: If Independents are the majority in a domain, it descends into anarchy. No princes, meetings, etc. until a different faction becomes a majority and regains control]

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

That...sounds lame. Makes me feel thankful for the two big fuckall crossover LARPs that we managed to run without that kind of badness

They/them

FACM

Postby FACM » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

Yours weren't Camarilla-associated LARPs, I take it.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

Belial wrote:That...sounds lame. Makes me feel thankful for the two big fuckall crossover LARPs that we managed to run without that kind of badness

I have never actually encountered a description of a non-stupid huge crossover LARP before (I did play once in a Tremere/Sorcerer crossover LARP that was pretty good, but that's different). Could you give details?

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

FACM wrote:Yours weren't Camarilla-associated LARPs, I take it.

No. The first was run by a lady who essentially told the Camarilla to go fuck themselves when they asked her to join, and when a group of larpers from that larp decided to start another LARP on our own college campus, we followed her lead.

zenten wrote:I have never actually encountered a description of a non-stupid huge crossover LARP before (I did play once in a Tremere/Sorcerer crossover LARP that was pretty good, but that's different). Could you give details?

Lemme see... in the first one, we had werewolf/fera, vampire (cam, sabbat, anarchs, independents), wraith, and mortals all running at the same time (along with a number of heavily supervised pure-antagonist PCs. BSDs and the like). Basically, it was managed by appointing a *lot* of narrators. Each possible venue had a narrator assigned to handling their stuff (this was quite specific: there were narrators assigned to each of the fera, to each faction of vampires, and so forth) as well as a spirit narrator and an overall storyteller. Otherwise, there was just the *setting* (the seven cities area of virginia), and the players were set loose to go do their own thing, with the narrators throwing various storylines and NPCs into the mix occasionally, for the players to interact with or fail to interact with as they chose.

Essentially, it rapidly became less *one* game, and more like...several overlapping games happening near each other. The storylines that the vampires participated in rarely drew garou, the storylines that were crucially important to the garou rarely even made *sense* to the cainites, and the fera and wraiths kindof wandered around and did their own thing. When the groups did overlap, it sometimes ended in violence, and sometimes in strange alliances. It was nearly always interesting and unexpected, though.

It was a sandbox to a large extent, which also allowed for a lot of player driven drama without a narrator even being involved, or only being involved as a rules-and-conflict arbitrator. Another fond memory involves stirring up a rebellion among the younger garou who wanted to deal more fairly with the fera, against the older and more set-in-their-ways caern elders. The rebellion started off high-minded and idealistic, and rapidly fell apart into corruption and petty infighting, and the whole thing was entirely player driven on all sides. It was good times.

The second one followed the first one's lead, but also incorporated Mage and Mummy, with less Wraith. Ultimately, those may have been a bad idea. Too many plates. Also, we didn't have as many players, so the capacity to "make your own fun" like you could in the Seven Cities Larp was drastically reduced.

They/them

xooll

Postby xooll » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:37 am UTC

FACM wrote:Yes, the moved hyphen is appropriate. At peak, it was about 25 people in a local venue with 5 or so visiting from other areas. There were lots of people in social power positions, but there were 5 or so people with extreme stats. One had Blood Potency 8, equivalent to a 5th gen from old Vampire. Pretty much every character that wasn't one of these 5 people spent combat running away and declaring fair escape [or dying, depending on initiative]. Would have been fine, if the ST didn't make every puzzle involve combat at some point in a session. The only political power I managed to get into was the local group of Independents, which were targeted for being the 2nd biggest faction there [Intersting LARP rule: If Independents are the majority in a domain, it descends into anarchy. No princes, meetings, etc. until a different faction becomes a majority and regains control]

This sounds remarkably similar to the only V:tM LARP I've been in. Lame is exactly the word. Many a game was spent sitting around because we were not permitted to actually interact with the plot. The worst part of it was that when a group of the local (read: powerless) PCs banded together to actually try and stop the annoying characters, the STs pretty much said "you can't do that." They would run scenes, during the game session, wherein every ST (representing the big powerful vampires) and one PC were in a closed room.
Apparently these STs enjoyed playing in (and likely ruining) the games hosted by the very people who were ruining our game. This is why One World By Night, or any other big multi-game-organization, is not actually a good idea.
Come to think of it, this is probably why I have something of a bias against the oWoD. Run properly, I would probably enjoy it just as much as the nWoD games I like.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:47 am UTC

Yeah, ew. If that were my only experience with oWoD, I'd hate it too...

They/them

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
FACM wrote:
zenten wrote:I have never actually encountered a description of a non-stupid huge crossover LARP before (I did play once in a Tremere/Sorcerer crossover LARP that was pretty good, but that's different). Could you give details?

Lemme see... in the first one, we had werewolf/fera, vampire (cam, sabbat, anarchs, independents), wraith, and mortals all running at the same time (along with a number of heavily supervised pure-antagonist PCs. BSDs and the like). Basically, it was managed by appointing a *lot* of narrators. Each possible venue had a narrator assigned to handling their stuff (this was quite specific: there were narrators assigned to each of the fera, to each faction of vampires, and so forth) as well as a spirit narrator and an overall storyteller. Otherwise, there was just the *setting* (the seven cities area of virginia), and the players were set loose to go do their own thing, with the narrators throwing various storylines and NPCs into the mix occasionally, for the players to interact with or fail to interact with as they chose.

Essentially, it rapidly became less *one* game, and more like...several overlapping games happening near each other. The storylines that the vampires participated in rarely drew garou, the storylines that were crucially important to the garou rarely even made *sense* to the cainites, and the fera and wraiths kindof wandered around and did their own thing. When the groups did overlap, it sometimes ended in violence, and sometimes in strange alliances. It was nearly always interesting and unexpected, though.

It was a sandbox to a large extent, which also allowed for a lot of player driven drama without a narrator even being involved, or only being involved as a rules-and-conflict arbitrator. Another fond memory involves stirring up a rebellion among the younger garou who wanted to deal more fairly with the fera, against the older and more set-in-their-ways caern elders. The rebellion started off high-minded and idealistic, and rapidly fell apart into corruption and petty infighting, and the whole thing was entirely player driven on all sides. It was good times.

The second one followed the first one's lead, but also incorporated Mage and Mummy, with less Wraith. Ultimately, those may have been a bad idea. Too many plates. Also, we didn't have as many players, so the capacity to "make your own fun" like you could in the Seven Cities Larp was drastically reduced.

Wow, that actually does sound good. Do you know if the non-vampire house rules are still kicking around somewhere?

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:34 pm UTC

There weren't a *lot* of house rules, honestly. They released a small LARP book, back in the day, of suggested crossover rules such that you could use Laws of the Night and Laws of the Wild in the same game and so forth, and some of those were used. Otherwise, there were just a few little tweaks made. I don't think there was ever anything in writing.

They/them

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:04 am UTC

Belial wrote:There weren't a *lot* of house rules, honestly. They released a small LARP book, back in the day, of suggested crossover rules such that you could use Laws of the Night and Laws of the Wild in the same game and so forth, and some of those were used. Otherwise, there were just a few little tweaks made. I don't think there was ever anything in writing.

They made dark epics not suck? Now I'm confused.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Ok, just wanted to give some of the WoD arguement people in the D&D thread a place to come.
So, there's here, and here.

And to post something of relevance -
So, I recently picked up innocents, and am slowly working my way through it. It looks quite entertaining (like little fears, it's a game about playing children 7-12). I'm hoping to give it a shot. Also, I'm currently larping Changeling: the lost. Which seems to be going pretty well as well (our own homebrewed trial rules).
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

I'm currently LARPing Requiem.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I'm currently LARPing Requiem.

As am I. Are you larping it through the Camerilla or as a separate organization?

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

Cam. Adelaide's LARP scene would be dead without them.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

How do you like the Cam? I've only heard bad things, but then again, I've never been part of a cam larp.

I happen to be lucky enough to be part of a 13 year long larp without the Cam. I wasn't there for 13 years, but the games has been going for that long.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:40 am UTC

I've played Werewolf both Apocalypse and Forsaken and boy does the new one suck ass.

Combat is nowhere near as much fun (you want to be big and strong? sorry but you have to give up control of your character to do that). Boy we used to have some awesome fun as furry killing machines.

They screwed the spirit-world side of things (mostly by making it inaccessible). We used to hop in there and go adventuring all the time.

I've played a little of the old Vampire, but not enough to form any real opinion. It was fun, but I had a sucky character that stood out like a beacon whenever we went to do anything so was relegated to "guard the perimiter" crap.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:31 am UTC

Jessica wrote:How do you like the Cam? I've only heard bad things, but then again, I've never been part of a cam larp.

I happen to be lucky enough to be part of a 13 year long larp without the Cam. I wasn't there for 13 years, but the games has been going for that long.

I've had nothing but fun, but I can't guarantee that it would be as fun elsewhere. Even Canada.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Well, as the nearest Cam game is in Toronto, I think I'll stick with my non-cam games for now. Two larps is enough larp for now.

As for werewolf - the only WW game I've never tried in the new system. Then again, I have no desire to play it. Everyone coloured my perception of it in the old system, and while everyone that likes the new system tells me that the game improved dramatically in the new system, I still have no desire to play it.

If someone started a game and invited me, I'd give it a chance... but I don't know. Just doesn't really appeal to me.

I've tried to run promethean (the demo) and was completely disappointed. Maybe someone who's good at STing can make the game good, but I don't see that happening.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

If you are going into a cam LARP, I hear there is a formula to make your character, well, not die all the time.

Fortitude, Potence, Celerity.

Celerity, take multiple actions
Fortitude, be able to take a hit
Potence, tear apart buildings

If you don't have all 3 maxed, then you're going to get schooled by basically anyone.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

CogDissident wrote:If you are going into a cam LARP, I hear there is a formula to make your character, well, not die all the time.

Fortitude, Potence, Celerity.

Celerity, take multiple actions
Fortitude, be able to take a hit
Potence, tear apart buildings

If you don't have all 3 maxed, then you're going to get schooled by basically anyone.

Old system != new system
Multiple actions are nearly impossible to get in the new system (and I think they are impossible in Larp).
Celerity just makes you faster (move more steps and higher initiative)
Potence doesn't exist, replaced by vigour. which just adds a success onto of strength attacks. Generally pretty lame.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

If you are in physical combat against other PCs, then you're probably doing it wrong.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

Totally agreed.
<3 my ventrue :D

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

In my LARP experience, if I was in combat with another PC, it meant I clearly wasn't running away fast enough.

But then, I played Corax.

Their entire litany can pretty much be boiled down to "See stuff! Say things! RUN AWAY!"

They/them

AvalonXQ

Postby AvalonXQ » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

In college we had biweekly standalone, homebrew larps with 15-25 players per game. They were highly dramatic, amazingly varied, creative, immersive, and a WHOLE lot of fun. Noteably, one of the larps was oWoD changeling -- not using WoD larp rules, but homebrew just like all the other games. And awesome.
Since then, I've tried a couple of different nWoD larps run by the Cam. Craptastic in comparison. Powergaming out the wazoo, impossible to have a meaningful effect if there's a significant XP gap, and players that just plain sucked at playing anything but themselves.
After my amazing experience with simulationists and dramatists in college -- a group where we actually had an annual standalone larp that ran for A WEEK STRAIGHT and maintained awesome the entire time -- I just couldn't stomach the mediocrity.
I've gotten together enough folks to run a homebrew of my own once since I left the university area. I wish I could find a group with folks like in the Gaming Society to do so periodically. I miss it.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Come up here! :)
Or conventions.

FACM

Postby FACM » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Belial wrote:In my LARP experience, if I was in combat with another PC, it meant I clearly wasn't running away fast enough.

This is true of almost every character I saw in LARP, barring the MC8+ people who made combat-only characters

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:43 am UTC

....Spurred by the awesome that was the new Changeling (go figure, with Ethan Skemp at the helm...just saying that name makes me think "Werewolf: The Apocalypse" and breath little nostalgic sighs), I decided to go poke around the White Wolf site, in the hopes that the next limited-run game would be an equally good idea. Perhaps Changeling marked a new beginning for the nWoD, and it was suddenly going to stop sucking so much.

So much for that idea.

Hunter? Seriously? That was a terrible idea even in the oWoD.

....maybe next year...

They/them

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

Yeah... Hunter's next...
Though! I do have good hopes for the game. From what it looks like it doesn't have a major template (no power stat, no inborn powers... essentially just humans).

Also, they get things called tactics, where a bunch of humans get together, practice a technique to fight the supernatural and use it (the example they give is controlled burn, where the humans set someone on fire. It's interesting). The endowments don't interest me in the least (super science (or relics, or genetics, or..) ways to "kill the monsters" are kind of eh, but not really WoD. I may like the initiative (or whatever the buffy season 4 group was called) but that's not very WoD).

I may get the core if only for antagonists. Probably not. Might download it. I'm VERY happy the hunters don't seem to have a power stat, and if one randomly appears in the final version, I'll be very annoyed. Hunters are HUMAN... :\

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Hunters are HUMAN... :\

And that's what irritates me. The World of Darkness Core series has perfectly adequate rules and setting for playing a human. And most of the allure of playing a human in the World of Darkness is the Survival-Horror-Esque "I'm just a regular guy with a board and a nail through it and jesus christ what is that thing nothing makes sense anymore oh sweet god it's going to eat me RUN" HORROR of being a weak, flimsy flesh thing in a world that suddenly isn't what you thought it was.

Adding rules on how to go grab your totally human buddies and go shoot vampires to death.....is basically "playing a mortal" minus all the appeal, plus none of the personal horror "Oh god, what have I become?" of playing a vampire or werewolf.

In other words, much like Hunter: The Reckoning, a big old waste of books.

In other news, I have to change my opinion on nWoD a little bit. I recently bought the actual WoD Core Book (instead of just skimming it to look at the system) because we're using the system as the base for a Silent Hill RPG. And after reading some fo the setting goodness, I actually do like a lot of the setting and writing for the actual Core WoD. The Horror is getting better. I like it.

I just still hate the crap out of what they did to Werewolf, Vampire, Mage, and Wraith.

They/them

Phayte

Postby Phayte » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Greetings. I've been browsing these forums for a long time, now I've finally gotten around to creating an account and posting.

Anyway, back during high school I played a lot of the oWoD. Vampire: The Masquerade and then eventually Demon: The Fallen. The Time of Judgement and end of the oWoD hit just as I was finishing up high school and about to start college, so I ultimately stopped playing any RPG at about that time. During college (which I just finished up in May) I didn't buy any new RPG books, though I did fondly read the old ones I had. It's unfortunate that at my university there were no RPGers that I could determine, so I filled that void with *drumroll* World of Warcraft (and other video games)! Now that college is done, I kind of want to get back to my table-top RPG roots. Finding people interested in such a thing though, at least in my area, is rather difficult. I've never even tried LARPing. Was always kind of interested in it though.

I've been considering going out and getting some of the nWoD books, just to give them a read and see how WW has changed everything for myself.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Adding rules on how to go grab your totally human buddies and go shoot vampires to death.....is basically "playing a mortal" minus all the appeal, plus none of the personal horror "Oh god, what have I become?" of playing a vampire or werewolf.

Well, again, I like some of it, and not others. The concept that there can be groups of people who don't just sit back and are frightened can be interesting. Like playing indiana jones. And, the mundane things (like the tactics) are really cool, because it's just ways that humans can do things together. I mean, really I wish they were broad topics that anyone could use, but still, a good idea (working together to accomplish a goal is cool).

In other words, much like Hunter: The Reckoning, a big old waste of books.

In oWoD, there was no mortals book though... Never read H:tR but I heard it sucked. I wouldn't touch it with a 39.5 ft pole.

I just still hate the crap out of what they did to Werewolf, Vampire, Mage, and Wraith.

And by what they did to wraith, you mean that they didn't update wraith? Because currently there's no equivalent to Wraith in nWoD. There are NPC spirits and ghosts, and PC Prometheans which are frankenstein monsters, but no wraith. Promethean sucks so much. I really hate that system. I love Mage, really love changeling, am content with vampire (it's not bad, just not my shtick. I only play vamp because it's the default larp setting and the one that runs in the area), and have no opinion of werewolf, other than biases from the previous edition.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

Well, again, I like some of it, and not others. The concept that there can be groups of people who don't just sit back and are frightened can be interesting. Like playing indiana jones.

And that's cool and all, but it's also what I play D&D or exalted or the Buffy/Angel roleplaying system for. If I'm playing a human in the WoD, I am not here for the high adventure and heroics. I am here for the Horror. I want to be desperately confused about what's happening and heinously afraid for my life at all times. Bring it on.

At my most competent, I want to be Fox Mulder or Dana Scully or James Sunderland. At no point do I want to be Charles Gunn or Buffy Summers.

In oWoD, there was no mortals book though

There were, they were just nestled in other lines. Kinfolk, Hunters Hunted, whatever book Project Twilight was in...but yeah, nothing like the nWoD core.

And by what they did to wraith, you mean that they didn't update wraith? Because currently there's no equivalent to Wraith in nWoD.

Yeah, exactly. They turned them into spooky cardboard NPCs.

They/them

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

After playing a bit of oWoD, and hearing what experienced players have to say about nWoD, I have to say I'm not convinced I want to give it a go. Although I have a friend literally creaming himself over the new Changling:The Abuse Victims.

But yes; playing around in the spirit world = fun

DarthFeltTipPen
Biro, I am your father!

Postby DarthFeltTipPen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

Hi guys, I'm about to start playing in a Changeling game (along with Ghostwolfe) and I've been running a nWOD Vampire the Masquerade game for a couple of months. I have to agree with Belial when he says:

Belial wrote:

The settings lost all of the atmosphere that made them great, the one that really cut me to pieces was Mage...I loved the old setting...

The nWOD rules though, in my humble opinion, are a breath of fresh air that I think was needed...that's why I've been shoe-horning the old settings into the new systems, which works surprisingly well I think (perhaps Ghostwolfe can comment, she's been playing in the game I've been running...I think it works from a Storyteller perspective but it'd be interesting to hear what a player thinks...)
Dangerously Creepy

"I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago."
Edgar Allan Poe

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

Agree to disagree, Belial? I mean, we could argue until our fingers fall off, but really we're not going to convince each other, are we?

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Gharbad wrote:Personally, I don't like a game company telling me the plot of my games. I like them making settings and allowing me to make my own plot. Yes, you could make your own plot and ignore the overplot, but that's like saying in a starwars game "you don't /have/ to care about the rebellion, it's just the most important thing in the galaxy right now which will have major effects on you in the future/right now".

Except it *wasn't* the most important thing going. There were always a zillion things going on, and a campaign could go off in myriad directions without really any suspension of disbelief. The NPCs have that metaplot stuff covered, and you could show up and yell "Oh, and we're here too", or you could go find someplace where you'll actually be useful: something someone else isn't already doing

In other words, the metaplot isn't plot, it's current events. It's stuff going on somewhere else.

And you don't even have to use it at all if you don't want to - one (Mage, mostly, with other stuff, particularly Demon, tied in as needed) campaign when I was in college discarded the entire thing (keeping the static setting for the most part, though for various reasons Paradox had some rather... "interesting" effects) and had its own "metaplot"-like set of overarching events (which our characters discovered and eventually became embroiled in) which tied in with a previous D20 campaign the group had done.

Return to “Gaming”