Pirates of the Caribbean Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Pirates of the Caribbean Online

Postby Lumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:06 pm UTC

Disney released a new MMORPG not too long ago on October 30. The downside is that on the free version, you can't learn mana, you can only do quests related to the storyline, you can't play it in full-screen, there's a queue before you can log in, during which superbly annoying PotC toy commercials air, and the windowed version has two banner and button ads for the latest Pokemon game and those Pirates of the Caribbean toy sets. Whenever these ads cycle between each other, it causes the game to slow down greatly and then speed up ("lag"). The game makes absolutely no sense within the Pirates of the Caribbean continuity, because characters are back that should be missing.

Other than that, the game was a lot of fun, at least until a part where I was required to find five vials of Giant Scorpion ink for a pirate tattoo. By that time, I think I was about level 5. I think the highest level possible right now is around level 30.

FACM

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Online

Postby FACM » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

Pirates of the Burning Sea should be entering Open Beta, if it hasn't already. It's probably a better choice for your pirate gaming fix.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

Worst piece of shit I've ever played. I got to about the second or third island (where you get your first missions from Gibbs), and found that the cave they wanted me to enter didn't exist, or was near impossible to find. Granted, this was beta, but I seriously doubt things have changed since a few weeks (yeah, weeks) ago. The combat seemed to be pretty basic, but I did enjoy the way they handled the guns.

To make things worse I'm still paying for the lowest paying account, since you can create and upgrade an account online, but you can't cancel it online.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

I found that cave, and it's inside the Graveyard Zone on Tortuga. The British soldiers were level 8, and I was level 5, so I got massacred quickly. I just sailed back to Port Royal and killed level 2 soldiers there to fill that quota.

Come to think of it, once you get to Tortuga, the quest givers stop giving directions on where to find anything, anywhere.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:04 pm UTC

I think Pirates of the Burning Sea is in closed beta, but I was able to get in after about a week. It's Sid Meyer's Pirates! meets Eve Online pretty much.

Return to “Gaming”