EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dani

Re: EVE Online

Postby Dani » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

I just ran out of my free trial a while ago.

It was pretty fun, very different from WOW (which I didn't like, but my friends played it, so meh).

It seems EVE is more of a thinking game and more realistic. In WOW, time + some skill = power, in EVE money + skill = power. I like this better.
There is a lot of reading and a lot of waiting and warping. It was pretty fun though. I never got into any corps though... or even interacted with anybody. Something I must say is that I didn't find myself as easily interacting with others like in WOW.

Anyway, I probably won't be playing again. It wasn't too bad, but not quite fun enough to justify paying a monthly fee.
Sorry if all this has been said before, I didn't read the whole thread. I just wanted to give my two cents.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

Join the xkcd channel.

Screw it, I'm making this part of my signature. Read that.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Coin

Postby Coin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Hah, well done on the sig.
Also that lengthy wall of text was a great read.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Dani

Postby Dani » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

Decided to buy a month to give it a better try. Going to join the xkcd channel now.

Coin

Postby Coin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

Go for it :)
Ask someone for a corp to join as well.
I can recommend applying to Northstar if you want some good people to play with. They are mature people in a multi-game community and are open for recruiting now.
Check out their website at http://www.northstar-alliance.net.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

I will always say a the reason to play eve is corp/alliance interaction. Plugging eve uni, even though I was never a part. They do good work.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

NO! Join my corp! New Smurf Order Enterprises!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

Ignore all of them. Join BoB (snicker)
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

I already gave her our info, Izawwlgood. =P
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Ignore all of them. Join BoB (snicker)

Join whom? (snicker)

Stief

Postby Stief » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:59 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Ignore all of them. Join BoB (snicker)

They sound good, I might look into joining them too (snicker)
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

Don't know if you guys have seen these yet buuuuuuuuut...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwqIGV53BrQ

SO MUCH WIN IT MAKES ME CRY

Also, this one is pretty funny (you can skip the first minute-ish):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMSjd6HNQdY&feature=related

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

Speaking of BoB... Delve turned yellow with Goonswarm. Man. The unconquerable Fortress Delve got conquered.

Now the questions are, will BoB bounce back and retake Delve? Will they take a new region instead like they said they would? Are they done for?

-X

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

Eve hell had me rolling. That was hilarious.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

There were so many awesome things about that video. I think it gets better every time you watch it, you start noticing things you missed before.

Like when the spider-man song was playing, he was flying a ship with like six webs fitted in his midslots. And later in the clip with Ride of the Valkyries, plays the South Park clip of the terrorists killing a carebear when they kill what is presumably an in-game carebear. I didn't notice those the first time around haha.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

Very nice, but damned if I am going to watch that whole video again. That's really cool, though. Good song choices.

I wear my sunglasses at night...

-X

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:46 am UTC

I'm starting again. Specifically, I plan on first, figuring out what my login is (oops) and reviving the Minmatar channel!
Omni.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:48 am UTC

Minmatar are teh sucke.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:17 am UTC

I play amarr, mostly, but the minmatar channel is cool.

YOU!
Omni.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:45 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:I'm starting again. Specifically, I plan on first, figuring out what my login is (oops) and reviving the Minmatar channel!

I was going to ask if you were Ilfar, but then I saw you play Amarr. Minmatar channel never died, yo.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

Well, almost all of the old people are prob. gone. Fast Eddie or Jack Folstam there, still?
Or the guy who's hooked on Gay Bar by Electric Six?
Omni.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:36 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Well, almost all of the old people are prob. gone. Fast Eddie or Jack Folstam there, still?
Or the guy who's hooked on Gay Bar by Electric Six?

Yes and Yes. Pen was in there recently on a trial, same with Futher. Adri's around, the Gloxers are back..

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

Alright. If you see Nickyra, Nicyra, or Bronnwynn, it's me.
Omni.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:21 pm UTC

Observations: A rigged ishkur can solo sleepers with smart play for an income of 6-8m+ an hour (that only includes stuff bought by npcs along the lines of criminal dog tags, salvage may also be worth something) taking into account drone losses and ammo use. A battlecruiser should be able to solo similar spawns a little faster, but I haven't confirmed that yet.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Cramulh

Postby Cramulh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:25 pm UTC

Hi ! I played for a few months two years ago, and I just reactivated my account. Since I didn't know what to do with my character, I had something like this :

Spoiler:
Cramulh

Attributes
Intelligence: 15,90
Perception: 9,54
Charisma: 8,48
Willpower: 11,66
Memory: 13,78

Drones
Image Drone Durability
Image Drone Interfacing
Image Drone Navigation
Image Drone Sharpshooting
Image Drones
Image Heavy Drone Operation
Image Repair Drone Operation
Image Scout Drone Operation
Total Skillpoints in Group: 1 185 665

Electronics
Image Electronic Warfare
Image Electronics
Image Electronics Upgrades
Image Propulsion Jamming
Image Sensor Linking
Image Targeting
Total Skillpoints in Group: 47 589

Engineering
Image Energy Grid Upgrades
Image Engineering
Image Shield Emission Systems
Image Shield Upgrades
Total Skillpoints in Group: 108 667

Gunnery
Image Controlled Bursts
Image Gunnery
Image Medium Hybrid Turret
Image Motion Prediction
Image Small Hybrid Turret
Image Small Projectile Turret
Image Weapon Upgrades
Total Skillpoints in Group: 122 734

Industry
Image Industry
Image Mining
Total Skillpoints in Group: 63 862

Learning
Image Analytical Mind
Image Instant Recall
Image Iron Will
Image Learning
Image Spatial Awareness
Total Skillpoints in Group: 71 494

Mechanic
Image Hull Upgrades
Image Jury Rigging
Image Mechanic
Image Remote Armor Repair Systems
Image Repair Systems
Total Skillpoints in Group: 57 415

Missile Launcher Operation
Image Missile Launcher Operation
Total Skillpoints in Group: 1 415

Navigation
Image Afterburner
Image High Speed Maneuvering
Image Navigation
Total Skillpoints in Group: 91 760

Science
Image Astrogeology
Image Cybernetics
Image Infomorph Psychology
Image Science
Total Skillpoints in Group: 50 958

Social
Image Connections
Image Social
Total Skillpoints in Group: 41 878

Spaceship Command
Image Battlecruisers
Image Destroyers
Image Gallente Cruiser
Image Gallente Frigate
Image Spaceship Command
Total Skillpoints in Group: 597 996

Trade
Image Trade
Total Skillpoints in Group: 8 000

Total Skillpoints: 2 449 433
Total Number of Skills: 53

Skills at Level 1: 4
Skills at Level 2: 11
Skills at Level 3: 24
Skills at Level 4: 10
Skills at Level 5: 4

And I don't know what I could do with that (fighting, mining...) and how to do so.
Any suggestions ?
Spoiler:
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST...

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

More specifically for sleeper values in relatively easy cosmic anomalies - frigate = 100k, cruiser = 400k, bs = 1.5m

Cramulh: For combat I'd reccomend focusing on drones with that kind of skillset, example ships being the vexor and the myrmidon. I'd reccomend getting hull upgrades to IV so you can use armor hardeners, then start going through and getting the skills for using tech 2 versions of all your fittings.

A vexor could do level 2 missions and a myrm could do level 3 missions or even 0.0 ratting. A vexor pvp fit might even be kinda possible, but not great.

For mining, I'm not sure but the spaceship command skills arent really tilted towards that from what I can see and I'm a combat player anyway so thats what I know about :P
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

Cram- in your position, I'd probably swap over to Minmatar, train gunnery up to 5, get proj. weapons, and shield-tank a phoon.
Omni.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

No reason why you need to train up to Minmatar, but we are the sexiest race (sunglasses are issued at birth to all Brutor males), and we have the best t1 cruiser, frigate, and imo, bc. In return we kinda get gimped on BS/Capitals and HACs (vaga's just not what it used to be).

PvP vexor is very possible. It can actually be better than thorax in some situations. Rupture still owns all, of course.

I'd have to actually poke at one to give you a setup, as I don't fly them myself, but the general idea is either use small rails and fit for speed or use med blasters and fit a tank. You won't have quite the durability of a Throax, but with t2 med drones, if you keep range you can easily outdamage one. And with multiple waves of bonused t2 lights/small rails you utterly destroy frigates, even inty/AF. (couple of inties can outrun warrior IIs, but not many).

EDIT: 6m/hr is pretty shitty, yes, even for a t2 frigate. I can pull in 10m from angels with a wolf (wtf 10% base explo resist for armor on a t2 ship, when it's supposed to tank armor. Ihateyoutoo, CCP.)
Also, you forgot the sin(?), dominix, eos, ishtar, and ishkur as droneboats. Speaking as a Jag/Wolf/Claw pilot, I hate the ishkur with a burning passion. Of hate. And fire.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

The Eos isn't a real ship, don't kid yourself.

-X

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

Eh, Phoon's a good BS. You can tank any way you want, and it's got fairly good power. Our other ones are more bleckish, but yeah.. T1 we own in frigs, cruisers, and BCs, and we own doubly with T2 frigs. PLus, no cap cost for our weapons!
Omni.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

I've heard similar "my race owns" arguments for each race. They all have weight behind them. The game is more balanced than you think!

-X

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

I think there are some trends, like the minnie dread and carrier kind of suck compared to the others, while they shine in the smaller ships, but yeah, what Xaddak said, EvE is way more balanced then people bitch about.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Ah, so you ARE online, just not on AIM...

I will hunt you down, Izawwlgood!

Maybe.

I feel like it, and don't get distracted by a shiny object.

-X

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:19 am UTC

My rupture vs any other T1 cruiser. Any time, any place. I'd have to put a rifter together, but I could do that too. note that hiding at 40km with a nano setup and long range weapons means you can do fleet support, but you're worthless in a 1v1, cause you'll never get a kill..

and if you bring a blackbird..we're either going to be there a very long time, or I'll still get away.

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:39 am UTC

Ok. I'm offloading files from my laptop to my external to make room for a trial.

Anyone wanna show me around in a few hours and get me hooked, or did we end up making an XKCD corps after all?
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 am UTC

No 'xkcd corp', just a corp that a few people from here are in. Join the xkcd channel, instructions in xaddak's sig.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:02 am UTC

FICTON WARNING.

The XKCD Alliance

Member corporations:
Romance (Diplomatic corp)
Sarcasm (PVP corp)
Math (Industrial corp)
Language (Intel/Logistics corp)

It'd be nice. I think we could take over a nice chunk of 0.0 if everybody who plays EVE and reads xkcd joined in.

-X

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:50 am UTC

I'd put an alt in, at least. Need a good number of people to take over even drone regions space, though..

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:54 am UTC

Alasseo wrote:I'd have to actually poke at one to give you a setup, as I don't fly them myself, but the general idea is either use small rails and fit for speed or use med blasters and fit a tank. You won't have quite the durability of a Throax, but with t2 med drones, if you keep range you can easily outdamage one. And with multiple waves of bonused t2 lights/small rails you utterly destroy frigates, even inty/AF. (couple of inties can outrun warrior IIs, but not many).

EDIT: 6m/hr is pretty shitty, yes, even for a t2 frigate. I can pull in 10m from angels with a wolf (wtf 10% base explo resist for armor on a t2 ship, when it's supposed to tank armor. Ihateyoutoo, CCP.)
Also, you forgot the sin(?), dominix, eos, ishtar, and ishkur as droneboats. Speaking as a Jag/Wolf/Claw pilot, I hate the ishkur with a burning passion. Of hate. And fire.

I do fly a pvp vexor at time, and it works fine but it's nice to have tech 2 guns and even heavy drones if you have a web on there (spares allow you to take out what fits at the time)

Plus that char can already fly a myrm/vexor, which is why I didn't mention the others.

As for 6m/h thats how much I got when I first tried 0.0 ratting and obviously that has more potential and of course salvage wasn't counted.

Website

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:It'd be nice. I think we could take over a nice chunk of 0.0 if everybody who plays EVE and reads xkcd joined in.
See, but that's the problem. The biggest, most valuable, most important, and hardest to earn currency in eve is trust. Even if we somehow explicitly trusted everyone who reads XKCD, that means we're throwing away any ties to corporations/alliances we're already in. It sounds like a great idea, but come back 2 years ago before I found a cool alliance with cool people. :?

Return to “Gaming”