EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Your logic train on that is utterly beyond me.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

Australian Guy (speaking to Greg Proops): Listen, mate. We didn't have crime, before America.
Greg Proops: You didn't have CRIME? Logic train! Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Yeah. No crime before America.
Clearly Australia is a lie.
Omni.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

You haven't answered the question though Ralith, why play a massive multiplayer online space game and only interact with the solo options of it?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:I solo because I have more faith in myself than in any wolfpack I can find.

Unrelated note, who's your character?
Omni.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

But you also said you don't PvP much somewhere, didn't you?

My mains name is Riame.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:I solo because I have more faith in myself than in any wolfpack I can find.

There has to be a group out there right for you, and I bet you're just not looking hard enough because you're so stuck in the "solo'ing in MMOs is awesome" mindset.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

This mentality strikes me as the equivalent of playing WoW or WAR and never forming up with a group, and only PvE'ing. Or running onto a soccer field in the middle of an open pick up game, with your own ball, and just taking shots on goal when everyone else is in the middle of a game (although that latter one isn't that fair of an analogy, as your influence over the Eve world is far, far, FAR, more minimal then that would be)

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

The point of analogy is to use one relationship to describe another in different terms to increase understanding. They don't have to be perfect, not by a long shot.

-X

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:47 am UTC

Eh, I PvP some, but don't a lot primarily because my gunnery skills suck.
Omni.

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:59 am UTC

No amount of sps can fix the lack of a wingman.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

So Ralith, you run missions solo?

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

You mean I'm supposed to like, do stuff besides sit in the station and talk in Minmatar?
When I do missions, I run them alone or at least assure myself that I could run them alone if all of my corpies/gangmates were to die sudden and spontaneous deaths.
admittedly, part of that is paranoia, but part of it is that I haven't had the most reliable of aid in my past. Notably the time when that as..ashen faced coward... tried to kill me with his BS while I was running a mission in a BC with him.
Omni.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Nono, the point of this tangent was that I find it very weird that people have your sentiment, of wanting to play Eve, but not wanting to do it socially, or with people. The only solo activity I ever do is ratting or building (building being of arguably solo-ness, as the entire market is responsible for your prices. For a while I was putting more Ishtars on the market every 3 days that were being sold in Jita per week), and the POINT of the game is accomplishing goals with other players.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

You oughta join the Minmatar channel sometime
Omni.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:13 am UTC

Okay, so I could use some advice. I just reactivated my account after a year and a half or so - started a completely new character (the old one was only in destroyers). I've been training my learning skills, taking full advantage of EVEMon, and I'm at about 139k skill points, flying an Incursus outfitted with three blasters and an afterburner. It's working pretty well - I've mostly been doing missions so far. I suppose I'm looking for a little direction - I've been thinking about taking Agony Unleashed's PVP-Basic course, but 12 million is a hefty sum in my eyes. Not to mention, I'd like to get the advanced Learning skills in my list before the double-speed skill training bonus wears off, but they too are pretty expensive.

So, any advice on how to accumulate that money? Should I switch over to a destroyer, or keep flying a frigate? Any skills that are really essential to train up to level 4 or 5?
All is well. We are not like the others.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

The incursus is a good ship for level 1s, although a catalyst could do better, but for moving up to level 2 missions I would think you'd need a cruiser to be safe anyway. The usual fit for a destroyer involves railguns, you'd probably do more damage than the incursus while having massive range (well... in comparison). Cruisers have the disadvantage of needing medium weapons and requiring more skills so I'd guess you don't want to move up to them yet.

Personally I found a decent low-sec mission agent, as few people every bother probing down frigates. Still, it's not the safest thing to do, atleast get some survival pointers if you like that idea. First one being don't ever autopilot in lowsec ;) and stay out of null unless you're sure there's no bubble. Anyway I'm pretty sure you get higher mission rewards that way. However destroyers are not as safe there, so I'd pick one or the other, not both.

I'll be sleeping now, but I'll try and help out more tomorrow or something - Verlokiraptor in-game, always in the xkcd channel.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

Hit up Xaddak or Riame in game :)

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

Probably Xaddak, since it isn't like Riame is ever on! =P

-X

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

Ishindri wrote:Okay, so I could use some advice. I just reactivated my account after a year and a half or so - started a completely new character (the old one was only in destroyers). I've been training my learning skills, taking full advantage of EVEMon, and I'm at about 139k skill points, flying an Incursus outfitted with three blasters and an afterburner. It's working pretty well - I've mostly been doing missions so far. I suppose I'm looking for a little direction - I've been thinking about taking Agony Unleashed's PVP-Basic course, but 12 million is a hefty sum in my eyes. Not to mention, I'd like to get the advanced Learning skills in my list before the double-speed skill training bonus wears off, but they too are pretty expensive.

So, any advice on how to accumulate that money? Should I switch over to a destroyer, or keep flying a frigate? Any skills that are really essential to train up to level 4 or 5?

Destroyer will do them far faster-hence, more cash. Get salvaging to 1 and buy salvagers- bookmark the different rooms of the mission and salvage everything, then sell it for extra cash.
Mechanic 5. Hull Upgrades 5. Rep Systems 4. Gunnery 5. Frigate 5. Whatever ship you're flying 5. Drones 5. Every applicable drone skills- 5. I'd give you my name but I'll be leaving tommorow for a full month.
Omni.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

I think you just loaded a year or more of training on the poor guy.

-X

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:43 am UTC

Also I wasn't going to reccomend much drone training until cruisers, given that the incursus carriers one light and the catalyst 2 iirc? not that much of their dps.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:34 am UTC

The Velator also gets 5m3 of drone bay, too.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:42 am UTC

Velator is so op in noobship duels. Damned warrior iis.

Also, if you want to make real money, trade is where it's at.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:Velator is so op in noobship duels. Damned warrior iis.

Reaper has the 5m3 as well. AND it's faster.
Omni.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Also I wasn't going to reccomend much drone training until cruisers, given that the incursus carriers one light and the catalyst 2 iirc? not that much of their dps.

Personal choice I guess.
Omni.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:25 am UTC

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've upgraded to a Catalyst - having enemy frigates blow up the same second I activate my guns is incredibly satisfying. I'm also following the skill paths laid out in the core certificates. Just one more thing: how would I go about finding a better agent for myself?
All is well. We are not like the others.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:47 am UTC

If you look at the info page for the corp you're doing missions for, there's an agents tab. Try to find one in the security/internal security/command etc. division if you want mostly kill missions, and make sure you don't get sent to low sec. You can also do a search on eve-agents.com, but they have some agents that don't really exist there.

Website

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

Ishindri wrote:having enemy frigates blow up the same second I activate my guns

Eve's tick is only one second long.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

anyone in gallente fw contact me please. I have an offer you can't refuse.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

So how about dem med/small rigs? Punishers with more ehp than current t2 cruisers, amirite?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

Question: What rigs will capitals use? Large?

-X

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:So how about dem med/small rigs? Punishers with more ehp than current t2 cruisers, amirite?

It's just going to make my t2 cruisers cheaper, is all.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:Question: What rigs will capitals use? Large?

My thanny has two CCC's on it. Normal rigs.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:09 am UTC

Yes... but the new patch isn't out yet, man. O.o

-X

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:15 am UTC

caps will use large, same as current.

it's actually going to make my t2 cruisers more expensive, cause now t2 rigs won't be unreasonable.

(I already fly fairly faction'd cruisers)

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:18 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:
Alasseo wrote:Velator is so op in noobship duels. Damned warrior iis.

Reaper has the 5m3 as well. AND it's faster.

The Velator actually has 10 m3 of drone space.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

cmd

Postby cmd » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

tron1point0 wrote:No amount of sps can fix the lack of a wingman.

Hi, I hate to brag, but I have 150+ kills solo, and I resent that remark.

Also, nothing wrong with going solo in eve. I did it for a while. It just gets tough when the blob comes to get you. But even that is soloable if you know what you're doing.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

cmd wrote:Hi, I hate to brag, but I have 150+ kills solo, and I resent that remark.

Also, nothing wrong with going solo in eve. I did it for a while. It just gets tough when the blob comes to get you. But even that is soloable if you know what you're doing.

You got 150+ solo kills against people who were either also soloing, or ganking tiny groups (<3) of people who were incredibly new. Or mining together. It's like me bragging my Serpentis tanked hyperion can solo lvl 4s.

Sorry, but I'd put my entire Eve savings on the fact that you didn't fly into goonspace with a pimped out vagabond and come out a week later flicking bits of smoldering debris from your windshield, a cargofull of corpses, cackling as an entire alliance crumbled behind your l33t awesomeness.

It's a multiplayer game. No solo fitting will be able to tank a group 5x it's size, nor will any gank do facemelting damage and erase a fleets best laid defenses. Get over it. You need to make friends.

In other news, my industrial alt is 7 days from amarr BS use.

cmd

Postby cmd » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:21 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
cmd wrote:Hi, I hate to brag, but I have 150+ kills solo, and I resent that remark.

You got 150+ solo kills against people who were either also soloing, or ganking tiny groups (<3) of people who were incredibly new. Or mining together. It's like me bragging my Serpentis tanked hyperion can solo lvl 4s.

Sorry, but I'd put my entire Eve savings on the fact that you didn't fly into goonspace with a pimped out vagabond and come out a week later flicking bits of smoldering debris from your windshield, a cargofull of corpses, cackling as an entire alliance crumbled behind your l33t awesomeness.

It's a multiplayer game. No solo fitting will be able to tank a group 5x it's size, nor will any gank do facemelting damage and erase a fleets best laid defenses. Get over it. You need to make friends.

In other news, my industrial alt is 7 days from amarr BS use.

Actually, I do engage groups of people larger than I am and do okay. Sure, having someone else around might make it easier, but that's not always an option. Other people do it just fine as well.

Also, the kills I've done often involve people older, and in bigger ships than I am, but thanks for asking.

Return to “Gaming”