EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

The only value I can think of towards finding someone's IP address is making sure that subsequent players registering on your forums aren't registering from the same IP as an old corp thief.

But... Yeah... You aren't as l33t as you think you are.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

Don't IP addresses change every day though? Or am I thinking of something else?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

Not necessarily every day, but they can change without any warning and fairly often, yes. Unless you pay your ISP extra monies for a static IP.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

cmd

Postby cmd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Keldaran wrote:Well, we can hack you. that would not be fun at all.

I'm going to call you out right now and tell you that you're full of shit.

First off, you can't hack someone solely based on their IP address. There are things like, uh, I dunno, firewalls? Every time you surf the net, you broadcast your IP. If it were possible to hack someone based on their IP address alone, nobody would ever use the internet. Second, most personal IP addresses are DYNAMIC. In case you're still in 8th grade(judging by your "LOL I GOT UR IP ADREZ GONNA HAX UR BOX", this is an accurate estimation), dynamic means that they change, in the case of IP addresses: every single time you connect to your ISP.

hintss

Postby hintss » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:37 am UTC

I'm in 8th grade

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

And it shows.

Anyone excited for planet harvesting?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:And it shows.

*imagines a planet-eating combine harvester*

cmd

Postby cmd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

I think it's going to be cool, but worried it is going to make my terrible investment in Technetium even more terrible. :|

I'm really hoping it doesn't impact the T2 market.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:42 am UTC

You know... I was thinking;
T3 is rad. It's a phenomenal system that has HUGE room for expansion (T3 BSs, BCs, etc). HOWEVER, it has a base mineral requirement, which seems silly to me. Why not release a new set of ore (or hell, a few ores), only found in wormholes, that are used in the construction of these ships. Because of sov changes, now anyone can get access to high ends, which is why we saw that huge price plummet.

As for planet harvesting, it should follow the same trend; it should produce something new. I want to see chunks of planet refining into a gaggle of minerals, gases, isotopes and other POS fuels, and moon mats, but I also want to see it cranking out something unique to funnel into a new process of construction.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:00 am UTC

cmd wrote:

I think it's going to be tepid, but worried it is going to make my terrible investment in Technetium even more terrible. :|

What the hell did you buy tech at to call it terrible? :|
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

cmd

Postby cmd » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:
cmd wrote:

I think it's going to be tepid, but worried it is going to make my terrible investment in Technetium even more terrible. :|

What the hell did you buy tech at to call it terrible? :|

20k and then 40k.
:lol: :oops:

xMango

Postby xMango » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:42 am UTC

I play eve, have so for the last 6 years or so (yeah yeah be nice). As far as acquiring IP addresses of individuals in the game it is quite simple to do. (-A- have been doing it before large fleet fights until we caught on, CVA if you cant tell) You post a link to your own personal website. A bit of propaganda like a picture of something the others will want to see but will make them mad. When they click that link, your website registers that individual IP address and stores it in history for you. Just retrieve and use a flooder or DOS against them =x

For the record I do not do this, I simply know of it being done against our beautiful empire.

AMARR VICTOR!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

xMango

Postby xMango » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:48 am UTC

cmd wrote:dynamic means that they change, in the case of IP addresses: every single time you connect to your ISP.

-Correct in your terms, in accurate in your time. Can you imagine the server overload that would occur by changing your IP address every single time that you log in? Most ISP's change them on a weekly basis. Also if someone has a IP forwarding service (come on now, everyone should its only $5) then their IP would stay static regardless of the ISP's dynamic setup.

Just food for thought?
-Edmund Burke

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

xMango wrote:
cmd wrote:dynamic means that they change, in the case of IP addresses: every single time you connect to your ISP.

-Correct in your terms, inaccurate in your time. Can you imagine the server overload that would occur by changing your IP address every single time that you log in? Most ISP's change them on a weekly basis. Also if someone has a IP forwarding service (come on now, everyone should its only $5) then their IP would stay static regardless of the ISP's dynamic setup.

Just food for thought?

Why would I want to spend $5 on something that has no use to me whatsoever? Literally none at all? Unless you're running a web host out of your house, a static IP address doesn't do much good, and I can use Hamachi if I need to host a small temporary Ventrilo server or something.

Can we go back to talking about EVE now?

We ran two wormhole sites in our C5 last night, a combat site and a mag site. Based on last sell prices known, I'm estimating those two sites were worth about a billion ISK altogether. Granted, we had a carrier wave for both, and about 8 people on each site, so it's getting broken up pretty far, but - woo!
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

cmd

Postby cmd » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:47 am UTC

xMango wrote:

-Correct in your terms, in accurate in your time. Can you imagine the server overload that would occur by changing your IP address every single time that you log in? Most ISP's change them on a weekly basis. Also if someone has a IP forwarding service (come on now, everyone should its only $5) then their IP would stay static regardless of the ISP's dynamic setup.

Just food for thought?

The one I had with Bellsouth changed every single time the router restarted, so I know that some do.

Also, heh, CVA. I'm really going to miss you guys. So many loltastic roams in your space :( I would have fought to defend it tbh, such a good hunting ground, but I haven't logged in in over a month so :|

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

So, some fun stuff happening in the Eve forums, specifically OOPE. I got forum banned for remarking on how many threads were locked. Go me. :lol:

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

xMango wrote: (come on now, everyone should its only $5)

Other things that are only $5: giving me five bucks.

Everyone should do it, it's only $5!
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:37 am UTC

I decided mission running was getting a little boring so I bought a bunch of Rifters and fitted them all out the same and I'm going to go ratting/pirating in low sec, luckily for me there is a few low sec systems one jump from where I am now so it's easy enough to come back to get ammo from my main stations.

Any suggestions from the more experienced pirates?

Purky

Postby Purky » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:45 am UTC

halbarad wrote:I decided mission running was getting a little boring so I bought a bunch of Rifters and fitted them all out the same and I'm going to go ratting/pirating in low sec, luckily for me there is a few low sec systems one jump from where I am now so it's easy enough to come back to get ammo from my main stations.

Just keep an eye on your sec status, if you pod someone in low sec it does take quite a hit and it is disturbing when you jump back to your high sec system and see an announcement that you are an outlaw who is KOS.
Oh and don't forget to make a few safe spots in lowsec to wait out the criminal timers, rifters melt pretty quickly under sentry gun fire :)
Might be a good idea to find a low sec station to base out of if pirating is going to be your main passtime, although if you spend time ratting that should help your sec status, just watch out for those pod kills!

Have fun :)

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:08 am UTC

I'm probably not going to pod kill anyone for a while, just want to get into pvp and this seems the best way to do it other than wandering into the 0.0 space our alliance has.

The low sec I have near me has a few stations so I may just set up a big pile of ammo there as that's the main thing I need. Luckily I have BPOs for the stuff I use and big piles of minerals from my mission running so I won't run out any time soon.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:46 am UTC

halbarad wrote:I'm probably not going to pod kill anyone for a while, just want to get into pvp and this seems the best way to do it other than wandering into the 0.0 space our alliance has.

The low sec I have near me has a few stations so I may just set up a big pile of ammo there as that's the main thing I need. Luckily I have BPOs for the stuff I use and big piles of minerals from my mission running so I won't run out any time soon.

You're going to need a stock of fully equipped ships too. Because the one you're flying WILL get popped at some point, and you'll need a replacement.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

I knew I would so I picked up 10 of them. Had a big pile of useful modules from missions and a nice pile of isk to pay for the rest of them that I needed.

I was out in low sec earlier on but it was pretty quiet, I think I need to go a bit deeper than just one or two jumps in, at least in my area where there wasn't more than 5 people there for the hour or two that I was ratting.

xMango

Postby xMango » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

cmd wrote:Also, heh, CVA. I'm really going to miss you guys. So many loltastic roams in your space :( I would have fought to defend it tbh, such a good hunting ground, but I haven't logged in in over a month so :|

CVA is not dead, and you should not miss us because we are not leaving anytime soon. We are out numbered 5 to 1 and have a vast capital fleet against us. CVA as a whole is not defending providence for these obvious reasons. CVA, the Holders, and The Citadel are saving ships, modules, and isk by running skirmishes and guerrilla raids into areas lost to -A- and their pets. If Providence is completely steam rolled; and no one would deny that with -A- it will happen eventually, then they plan to rent out systems to other alliances. These alliances will have no protection against neighboring renters, or the significantly larger CVA/Holders/Citadel forces who will demand and take their space back. We simply have too many resources, dedicated members, and heart to let it stand for long.

*looks into his ship hanger and counts the Dreads, Carriers, only 1 MOM (sadly) and numerous other ships that will be used for the retaking of Providence*
-Edmund Burke

cmd

Postby cmd » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:48 am UTC

xMango wrote:
cmd wrote:Also, heh, CVA. I'm really going to miss you guys. So many loltastic roams in your space :( I would have fought to defend it tbh, such a good hunting ground, but I haven't logged in in over a month so :|

CVA is not dead, and you should not miss us because we are not leaving anytime soon. We are out numbered 5 to 1 and have a vast capital fleet against us. CVA as a whole is not defending providence for these obvious reasons. CVA, the Holders, and The Citadel are saving ships, modules, and isk by running skirmishes and guerrilla raids into areas lost to -A- and their pets. If Providence is completely steam rolled; and no one would deny that with -A- it will happen eventually, then they plan to rent out systems to other alliances. These alliances will have no protection against neighboring renters, or the significantly larger CVA/Holders/Citadel forces who will demand and take their space back. We simply have too many resources, dedicated members, and heart to let it stand for long.

*looks into his ship hanger and counts the Dreads, Carriers, only 1 MOM (sadly) and numerous other ships that will be used for the retaking of Providence*

Yeah, I know you guys are outnumbered and getting steamrolled because you can't bring the numbers, but you really did bring it upon yourselves(from what I've heard). That said, here's hoping you get your space back! Should be fun for you guys to be on the other side of the Guerrilla warfare :P

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

xMango wrote:

Yeah, I've been in alliances that thought the same. It never works out.

xMango

Postby xMango » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:23 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Yeah, I've been in alliances that thought the same. It never works out.

The difference is that we are an RP alliance and at war with other RP alliances, so this is part of the game that we accept, so we will stay around
-Edmund Burke

Lagren

Postby Lagren » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:I decided mission running was getting a little boring so I bought a bunch of Rifters and fitted them all out the same and I'm going to go ratting/pirating in low sec, luckily for me there is a few low sec systems one jump from where I am now so it's easy enough to come back to get ammo from my main stations.

My suggestion is to read The Beginner's Guide to Piracy by Skira Ranos. It's a very useful resource; I particularly reccommend the parts on the Overview and the Directional Scanner.

Shooer

Postby Shooer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

My favorite form of EvE Pirating has to be Kidnapping.

30 Mil or The Damsel gets it!

My other favorite thing to do in EvE is Corp Spying.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:07 am UTC

Lagren wrote:

My suggestion is to read The Beginner's Guide to Piracy by Skira Ranos. It's a very useful resource; I particularly reccommend the parts on the Overview and the Directional Scanner.

Yeah, I've read the guide, it was very useful and has led me to set up an alt to do all my piracy so I don't have to worry about sec status as I still want to do stuff within my current corp.

Purky

Postby Purky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:39 am UTC

Decided to bite the bullet and try out the much praised Agony Unleashed pvp basic course this weekend, as a result I cannot praise it highly enough.
The first evening was mainly theory with some practical work on spiralling into a target, using the d-scanner (something I hadn't managed to figure out properly :p ) and basic fleet movements and commands. It was all well presented and informative and everyone seemed to get something out of it even though we had pilots varying in experience from never pvp'd before through to people with good 0.0/lowsec experience. I was somewhere in the middle, with all my 0.0 pvp experience being in large fleet fights (i.e. lag lag lag, try and target, lag some more, try and fire guns, lag some more.... you get the idea).

The second evening was the bit everyone had been looking forward to, the roam. We had about 80-90 people in fleet, mostly in T1 frigates although some alumni had brough inties/AF and most Agony members were either skirmishers in inties or scouts in cov ops. This was so much fun, ended up running for 5 1/2 hours through Syndicate and Cloud Ring. It was great to see how a fleet of T1 frigates can rip apart so many targets if flown properly, we even managed to get a Thanatos kill! (we did have some people from [BDEAL] assist in BC and a couple BS on this kill).

All in all it was great fun and well worth trying out if you are wanting to get into pvp but are inexperienced/ lacking confidence/ unsure if you would like it or not.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:33 am UTC

Always used to have fun shooting AGONY dessie fleets in GW.

Always good fights.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:42 am UTC

I've been playing around with a jaguar. ~2700 shields. On something the size of a frig. And 40% weakest resistance. Holy crap. Combine that with a top speed of ~1100m/s (non-overloaded afterburner), and a 46m sig radius... HOLY CRAP. :shock:

Why did I not find out about this sooner? :o

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 pm UTC

Purky wrote:Decided to bite the bullet and try out the much praised Agony Unleashed pvp basic course this weekend, as a result I cannot praise it highly enough.

How much is this course?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Purky

Postby Purky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
Purky wrote:Decided to bite the bullet and try out the much praised Agony Unleashed pvp basic course this weekend, as a result I cannot praise it highly enough.

How much is this course?

12 million ISK

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:18 pm UTC

May just give it a go then.

Token

Postby Token » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:10 pm UTC

Small world - I was taking that course too. Woot Thanatos kill!
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

Also, I'm starting to get into the swing of level 3 missions. Some of them are good monies.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I've been playing around with a jaguar. ~2700 shields. On something the size of a frig. And 40% weakest resistance. Holy crap. Combine that with a top speed of ~1100m/s (non-overloaded afterburner), and a 46m sig radius... HOLY CRAP. :shock:

Why did I not find out about this sooner? :o

fix the kin hole, I suggest you use a rig. Also, active tank is better, but far more expensive, and takes both player skill and sp to maintain and use. Also only works for very small gang/solo work. The extender fits are better for a medium fleet.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

I'm already using rigs to boost shield HP.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

Decker wrote:Also, I'm starting to get into the swing of level 3 missions. Some of them are good monies.

Same here, some just annoy me as a waste of time though like Duo of Death. I've started running level 4s as well since my Myrm tanks way too much for level 3s.

Return to “Gaming”