EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: EVE Online

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 21, 2010 12:30 pm UTC

Perhaps I should train some random missile skill to 5.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri May 21, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Well I already have every racial BS, cruiser and frigate to level 5. There aren't really too many long skills left (that are actually worth training). :lol:

If you don't have interceptors or interdictors to 5 you're a slacker.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Fri May 21, 2010 1:30 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Well I already have every racial BS, cruiser and frigate to level 5. There aren't really too many long skills left (that are actually worth training). :lol:

Pfft. If you don't have every racial carrier, dreadnought, and titan skill to 5 each you're a slacker. Especially newbies, kids these days start off with so many gorram skill points and free ships!
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:

I have Interceptors 5

Edit: also Gallente Carrier 5

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 21, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

Fleet Commander 5 ftw!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri May 21, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Fleet Commander 5 ftw!

I have Fleet Commander 5.

Not that I'm ever likely to need it, but I was going to be gone for a month, so why not?
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 21, 2010 6:22 pm UTC

:|
I assume you have fantastic other leadership skills, and sit in a POS running links in a command ship/titan while 250 fly under you? No? That was a waste.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri May 21, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

Battlecruiser 5 was on my list. I wanted to fly a Sleipnir.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri May 21, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote::|
I assume you have fantastic other leadership skills, and sit in a POS running links in a command ship/titan while 250 fly under you? No? That was a waste.

Yes, my other leadership skills are fantastic.
Yes, I sit in a command ship running links.
250 is probably not going to happen frequently, but 150 or so happens a few times a month on average, and we're moving to a larger alliance. I'd probably (according to what corp leadership tells me) be able to get by with FC4, but better to be prepared.

Also, I didn't have any other long-term skills that I could just set and leave for a month.
1)The tone of voice
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 21, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

I think with FC above, say, 3, you really have to be in a Titan to make that legit. Unless your alliance flies all shield or all armor.
When you say fantastic, what do you mean? I have all leaderships to 5, link spec 5, and armor and info directors to 4. Mining director 5 too, but that was sort of a waste.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri May 21, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think with FC above, say, 3, you really have to be in a Titan to make that legit. Unless your alliance flies all shield or all armor.
When you say fantastic, what do you mean? I have all leaderships to 5, link spec 5, and armor and info directors to 4. Mining director 5 too, but that was sort of a waste.

Everything is at 5. My alliance was missing a leadership character, and I volunteered to make it happen with my alt account. That account can fly both Caldari and Amarr command ships, and fleets tend to be all one type of tank (although not always the same type).
1)The tone of voice

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

Hey guys. I noticed there's no posts about Planetary Interaction here yet.

Have any of you tried it? I've spent a lot of my free time since the 8th figuring out how it works and what's the best way to do things. I worked out how to use the planets just in the system my little personal corp is based in, to make POS fuel in the most efficient way I could think of. It really requires a good amount of preparation and planning, since you can't upgrade a command center without starting over on that planet completely, and planning what planets to use for what resources and products involves a lot of logistics and flowcharts.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

A few of my corp mates are working on PI to help fuel our POS. It seems to be going pretty well for them but they are still working on some logistics as well.

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:13 am UTC

Living in Atlas space thats under Atlas control is a bitch, as we own only one system surrounded by Atlas, so we can only colonize that one system. Also, 25+ jumps from highsec, things get WAY overpriced.

Purky

Postby Purky » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:20 am UTC

Canineteeth wrote:Living in Atlas space thats under Atlas control is a bitch, as we own only one system surrounded by Atlas, so we can only colonize that one system. Also, 25+ jumps from highsec, things get WAY overpriced.

I hear ya buddy, my corp used to be in an Atlas renter alliance and the logistics of being 4 JF jumps out of empire is a bitch.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:29 am UTC

Canineteeth wrote:Living in Atlas space thats under Atlas control is a bitch, as we own only one system surrounded by Atlas, so we can only colonize that one system. Also, 25+ jumps from highsec, things get WAY overpriced.

No Jump Bridge network access?

My alliance is based about 15 jumps or so from high sec but we have Jump Bridge which drops us just outside of high sec. It's extremely useful for getting things in and out of our pocket.

How often do you have reds coming into your space? I'd guess if your surrounded by Atlas then your not likely to get many who can get through. We get a few reds a day unless we cause trouble with them, as we did yesterday when we killed a bunch of them who tried to gank on of our members in an anom. After podding them all they came back with more friends so we just ignored them. It was my second PVP experience and was pretty good, even though I lost my Thorax we managed to kill a lot more than it was worth.

Veora

Postby Veora » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:57 am UTC

Garr! everytime this happends!

"Ok! This time im going to play eve, for 14 days"

Then i get out of the little tutorial bit, im a little overwhelmed, i suck, but have big dreams of flying some big.. cruiser things firing misiles everywhere.

And then i never seem to log in for more than 4 days straight! Such a shame, and tips?
<Witty and funny signature here>

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:12 am UTC

Veora wrote:Garr! everytime this happends!

Then i get out of the little tutorial bit, im a little overwhelmed, i suck, but have big dreams of flying some big.. cruiser things firing misiles everywhere.

And then i never seem to log in for more than 4 days straight! Such a shame, and tips?

Get in a corp asap after finishing the tutorials. There are lots of corps willing to accept new members and will help you find your way and get you doing what you want to do.

I messed about a bit with missions and such before joining a corp and I regret not doing it earlier. It's an MMO so the community is a major part and with Eve the community is really great. I have a friend who played the game for about a year or so and was playing less and less when I first started and when I've talked to him since then he says he would love to play but the missions were so boring when flying solo but he didn't really look for a corp to run with.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:38 am UTC

Who's in the tourny?
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:59 am UTC

Schedule for Weekend 2

I saw some of the weekend 1 matches, there were some interesting teams like ROL fielding all Angel ships. This weekend didn't see much but managed to catch the IVY League match with their opponents pretty much Smartbombing themselves into a loss (and podding most of their team mates as well), it was good to watch.

Veora

Postby Veora » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:39 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:
Veora wrote:Garr! everytime this happends!

Get in a corp asap after finishing the tutorials. There are lots of corps willing to accept new members and will help you find your way and get you doing what you want to do.

I messed about a bit with missions and such before joining a corp and I regret not doing it earlier. It's an MMO so the community is a major part and with Eve the community is really great. I have a friend who played the game for about a year or so and was playing less and less when I first started and when I've talked to him since then he says he would love to play but the missions were so boring when flying solo but he didn't really look for a corp to run with.

Ahh maybe i should do that then.. Guess ill have to end up with a new trial, think the 14 day one allready ran out!

I love the big massive titan-killing videos on youtube the scale is breathtaking (well, everything is from the rookie ship but still!

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:58 pm UTC

Yeah, I was flying near some Carriers recently in an alliance POS and they are pretty big compared to any ship really. Even the jump between a Drake (BC) and Raven (BS) is very obvious.

Edit: If you want some help then join the XKCD channel and there is usually someone on.

Veora

Postby Veora » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:Yeah, I was flying near some Carriers recently in an alliance POS and they are pretty big compared to any ship really. Even the jump between a Drake (BC) and Raven (BS) is very obvious.

Edit: If you want some help then join the XKCD channel and there is usually someone on.

I might have to see if my old Eve account i shared with my brother is still around, i remember getting two more Amarr ships on it, thing annoyed me was i LOVE the Amarr ships, but wanted missiles rather than lasers, is that possible? o.O sorry for the newbie questions.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

Amarr ships primarily use lasers. There are a couple specialty Amarr ships that use missiles, but more often than not, Amarr uses missiles.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

Veora wrote:i LOVE the Amarr ships, but wanted missiles rather than lasers, is that possible?

Well, there are some Amarr missile platforms. It's a short list, though, and the vast majority are tech 2:
Inquisitor (Tech 1 Frigate, and the only tech 1 missile platform for the Amarr)
Vengeance (Assault Ship)
Purifier (Stealth Bomber)
Heretic (Interdictor)
Sacrilege (Heavy Assault Ship)
Damnation (Command Ship (largest missile platform for the Amarr, battlecruiser-sized))
1)The tone of voice

Veora

Postby Veora » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
Veora wrote:i LOVE the Amarr ships, but wanted missiles rather than lasers, is that possible?

Well, there are some Amarr missile platforms. It's a short list, though, and the vast majority are tech 2:
Inquisitor (Tech 1 Frigate, and the only tech 1 missile platform for the Amarr)
Vengeance (Assault Ship)
Purifier (Stealth Bomber)
Heretic (Interdictor)
Sacrilege (Heavy Assault Ship)
Damnation (Command Ship (largest missile platform for the Amarr, battlecruiser-sized))

I have a feeling i had the Inquisitor.. or something that looked like it! think i got annoyed because my character couldnt train when my brothers was, the whole sharing thing didnt work out well :p

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:Yeah, I was flying near some Carriers recently in an alliance POS and they are pretty big compared to any ship really. Even the jump between a Drake (BC) and Raven (BS) is very obvious.

Interesting related video i found the other day.

It's a guy who made full-scale models of several EVE ships, i believe in Gary's Mod. It's interesting to see how truly massive even the frigates are.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:51 pm UTC

That is pretty neat.

I remember a great novel describing a space battle from the perspective of someone on the planet above which it was occurring. I'd like to see those fireworks.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

It's gonna be awesome as shit if you can when DUST 514 comes out.

Speaking of which, does anyone else get the feeling that DUST 514 is going to have some interesting effects vis a vis Planetary Interaction? "No, i don't want you to have a colony on this planet *hires DUST 514 players to ruin it*".
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I remember a great novel describing a space battle from the perspective of someone on the planet above which it was occurring. I'd like to see those fireworks.
Would it really be all that visible? The explosions wouldn't be very impressive without an atmosphere to burn, the ships (unless *massive* and in upper atmo) wouldn't be visible, and any directed energy weapons would be *directed* rather than visible from other angles. Until you get the meteor shower of shrapnel, I don't think you'd see all that much.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Coin

Postby Coin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:I remember a great novel describing a space battle from the perspective of someone on the planet above which it was occurring. I'd like to see those fireworks.
Would it really be all that visible? The explosions wouldn't be very impressive without an atmosphere to burn, the ships (unless *massive* and in upper atmo) wouldn't be visible, and any directed energy weapons would be *directed* rather than visible from other angles. Until you get the meteor shower of shrapnel, I don't think you'd see all that much.

I believe we'll have to work under the assumtion that we are looking at the fight with the same weird physics as in the game, where a laser produces a massive shaft of light and where momentum happens to other people.
Then I think it would be rather spectacular actually :)
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:

These things are all mentioned; for example, when the battle begins, all they see is puffs of light and the occasional silhouette of a ship highlighted against nuclear blasts off it's shields/armor. As the battlefield begins to fill with debris (which I suppose might be a stretch given the enormity of space... but I dunno about the distances, or the true sizes of the ships...), the various beam weapons become visible.

Also, ships hit with something that causes a hull breach, if explosive in nature, will, well, explode, right?
But also, dude, it's sci-fi. If my hyperkinetic missiles glow bright blue and leave ghost warp quantum echos in their wake, I can dig it.

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:

No Jump Bridge network access?

My alliance is based about 15 jumps or so from high sec but we have Jump Bridge which drops us just outside of high sec. It's extremely useful for getting things in and out of our pocket.

How often do you have reds coming into your space? I'd guess if your surrounded by Atlas then your not likely to get many who can get through. We get a few reds a day unless we cause trouble with them, as we did yesterday when we killed a bunch of them who tried to gank on of our members in an anom. After podding them all they came back with more friends so we just ignored them. It was my second PVP experience and was pretty good, even though I lost my Thorax we managed to kill a lot more than it was worth.

Almost daily, lower Wicked Creek region. Whenever we get a fleet up they just go afk cloaked, just as annoying how they never go for a real fight.

On that note, Vreora, if you can dig the horribleness of Caldari ships and their angles, the Caracal (cruiser) can fit 5 missile launchers, and a step up the Drake can fit 7 and is one of the most popular battlecruisers. The raven is just as godly and I believe that is the ship that was used in The Burning Life (they see the capsuleer firing missiles at their mining colony).

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:07 pm UTC

The best use I've seen for a caracal is a surprise for AFs with dual 1600mm plate, dual web, scram and ACs/neuts.

anyways.

i meant who's in as in, "Is anyone from here competing". I would be, but I thought I was going to be moving these past two weeks, so I bowed out from my alliance team..and some other stuff. I've competed in the two prior torunaments and watched them since III. (which had the second-best commentating team, after IV)
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:29 am UTC

I might have tried getting into the CH team if the tournament was at a remotely reasonable time for an Aussie. I'm not sure I would've been able to get in anyway since there are a fair few more experienced/trusted pilots who would come first.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:45 am UTC

My alliance is currently a little busy beating on ROL to take part, that and we don't really have enough organisation at the moment to be able to participate.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:18 am UTC

Can anyone explain PI to me? I missed all the early talk about how it was supposed to work, and now the only discussion I can find about it on the forums are people whining about it. So I've been trying to work it out through trial and error.

So I bought a standard gas command station thing and somehow set it down on something that looks like Saturn. I was just randomly clicking, so I have no idea how I even managed to place it. So far so good. I also built a couple of extractors on decent looking resource spots, and connected them to the command station via links. I told each extractor to scan for deposits, and start mining, and route the resulting product to the command centre. But here's the thing. After the cycle completes, nothing happens. There's no product. I expected it to appear in the command centre, but it's not there. Any ideas?

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

Eve Uni to the rescue

They have done a lot of research into it with people on SISI since it was first put on and everytime I see the question asked (or any PI question asked) by people in alliance, this seems to be the place they keep sending people to. I'm not really interested in it right now so don't know how good the information is.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

I thought I saw somebody asking if any corps were recruiting, and my corp is, so I'll throw this out here. Our recruitment thread on the fora is here. In short, though, we do wormhole space operations, mostly combat (although rock mining and gas mining are still go), require basic battleship armor RR spider tank skills to start off (although if we're close to being ready for that we'll generally take you while you train the last few skills), and we be awesome. See the fora thread for more info.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

I'd love to apply but I'm mission the RR skills (not a long train I guess), an armour tanking BS skills (though not far off Gallente BS) and have only ~8mil skill points. Plus I'm a pretty much a director at my current corp and don't want to move on yet as I'm pretty happy here.

I may apply next time round once I have more skills and some WH experience (only been in one and left quite quickly when I saw POS modules on D scan).

Return to “Gaming”