EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: EVE Online

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:19 pm UTC

Even though the Malediction doesn't get bonuses to lasers, you still want to use lasers on that ship. Rockets are terrible. Also, until very high skill levels, it's not the interceptor's role to be good DPS. So Malediction is the inty to start out with. It makes for a better tackler as it has a slightly better slot configuration for tackling. You won't be able to properly fit 4x t2 guns on the Crusader until you have pretty close to maxed out fitting skills.

Also @ the Punisher comment - Excellent little frigate. It's the precursor to flying interceptors, and you fly them in very similar ways. If you can T2 fit a punisher and get good at flying that, you'll have an absolute blast flying the interceptors.

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Veora » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

Ahh! thanks for the advice, i feel a little less daunted now that i've got a rough idea of what to go for now :) i take it the Punisher and the interceptors are more of a "fly rings around everything and hope you don't get shot" in PvP? :)
<Witty and funny signature here>

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: EVE Online

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

Correct.

If you're running a MWD on a speed fit punisher with decent Navigation skills, you'll probably be pushing close to 3-4km/s speed. The speed fit Malediction should be pushing closer to 5-6km/s. Training thermodynamics will let you over heat and move even faster for a short period of time.

Those ships have a primary role when fighting starts: Hold the target in place long enough for your fleet to kill it and try to stay alive as long as possible. When your skills improve, and you start fitting it a bit more for survivability, your role will still be that, but will also include killing other enemy interceptors and frigates.

The other role they're quite good at, especially interceptors, is scouting. If you can get good at making safe spots and manuevering tactically around a hostile fleet and relaying that information to the Fleet Commander(FC), you'll be priceless to that FC and be sought after amongst your peers.

But that's a wall of text post for another time. :-D
Last edited by Mishrak on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Purky
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:43 am UTC
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Purky » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

Due to it's resistance bonus (5% per amarr frigate level) and its naturally high armour level the punisher can take a surprising amount of damage for a frigate. It is still only a frigate though so its best defence is getting under the guns of larger ships and avoiding damage that way. Interceptors again are so difficult for a bigger ship to hit as they go so damn fast and have such a small sig radius. It is pretty rare to see an interceptor with a tank (unless it is a Taranis with a DC2 so it can semi-hull tank)

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: EVE Online

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

Once I started flying Dictors and Hacs, I wouldn't fit a full set of speed mods in the low slots generally in my Interceptors. I'd -always- run a DC2 to survive stealth bomber attacks and rats, usually an overdrive injector and a damage mod. I hated armor plating in small stuff because it's counterproductive to how I liked to fly them. They're still useful to fit in the right situations, but I couldn't stand losing the agility.

User avatar
Purky
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:43 am UTC
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Purky » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

I do fit a DC2 to pretty much anything that I fly, simply because it ignores stacking resist penalties and the extra 60% hull hp is a godsend, especially on amarr and galllente ships which typically have high structure hp.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

Is the server down right now, or is the hotel i'm staying in just blocking EVE?
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

Still down. Website is still down as well, it should have been up a few hours ago, even with the updated time they posted.

Edit: Looks like it's going to be down till at least 21.00 UTC, probably later. Luckily I have a nice "long" skill in my queue.

User avatar
Wilibus
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm UTC
Location: Regina, SK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Wilibus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

The downtime has been extended until 2300 UTC
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

User avatar
Wyvern
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:31 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Wyvern » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

Al this talk of optimization, almost making me feel like I'm doing something wrong. =p

Only thing I can really decide for sure is that I looove little ships. I think out of all that I've flown so far, the Incursus has been my favorite. Yet I want to have some amazing drones, And I want to fly stealth bombers, and I want to fly Interceptros, and Assault ships and and....

Yeah. I have basic certificates for.... too much. Can't really figure out what I wanna do. Especially since I wanna fly around little ships all the time but you just can't do level 3 missions in a frigate. But the drones, I love them, and you can't fit many in little ships.

So I guess I should make it my goal to be able to pilot an Ishkur. Can you really pull off doing higher level missions in a little ship like that?

DoomyDoom
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby DoomyDoom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

You can do level 3 missions in an assault frigate. It just takes a while.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:51 am UTC

Some can do L4s, too. But again, bring a Snickers, 'cuz you'll be there a while.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:26 am UTC

I like how we send a newbie out to pvp in a frigate, and no-one even mentions sentry guns. Because I've seen a few people who should know lose interceptors when they shouldn't have...

The basics regarding sentry guns are: if you are a criminal in lowsec, they will instantly explode your frigate. Whenever you attack someone without being attacked first, you get flagged as a criminal for 15 minutes. Sentry guns are at every station and stargate. If you're in 0.0, they don't really care unless you actually attack the gate.

Also, safespots: while warping between 2 places, open the "people and places" windows and switch to the places tab. Click "create bookmark" while warping. Right click and warp to the bookmark and people will find it very hard to find you. That can be a decent place to wait out the 15 minute timer.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

User avatar
Purky
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:43 am UTC
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Purky » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:16 am UTC

To be quite honest I didn't even think about sentry guns. I pvp in 0.0 so it really isn't something that I think about.
This wasn't really about sending someone off to pvp in a frigate, it was more about informing them that you can pvp in smaller ships and you don't need to wait until you have hundreds of millions of skillpoints, billions of isk and a fleet of battleships before you start :P

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Veora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:37 am UTC

Purky wrote:To be quite honest I didn't even think about sentry guns. I pvp in 0.0 so it really isn't something that I think about.
This wasn't really about sending someone off to pvp in a frigate, it was more about informing them that you can pvp in smaller ships and you don't need to wait until you have hundreds of millions of skillpoints, billions of isk and a fleet of battleships before you start :P

Haha yeah, well it's not like i was going to adventure out and try and kill people yet anyway! il keep the bookmark thing in mind, that sounds like a fantastic idea.

Shame the servers were still down this morning, i couldn't set nay new skills to train! :(
<Witty and funny signature here>

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:03 am UTC

Veora wrote:Haha yeah, well it's not like i was going to adventure out and try and kill people yet anyway!


When you do decide to start going out and trying pvp, buy 20 or 30 (or more) of your chosen frigate (Tech 1 is strongly suggested unless you have isk to burn) and fit them all the same then go out to low/null sec and get into fights and see what happens. It's the best way to learn pvp as it's very cheap and you can get some surprising kills with it.

Shame the servers were still down this morning, i couldn't set nay new skills to train! :(


Hopefully they can get it back up when they have said today, more likely it will be down for the rest of the day. I'm just hoping that it's up before Saturday as that's when my skill queue ends.

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Veora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:18 am UTC

halbarad wrote:
When you do decide to start going out and trying pvp, buy 20 or 30 (or more) of your chosen frigate (Tech 1 is strongly suggested unless you have isk to burn) and fit them all the same then go out to low/null sec and get into fights and see what happens. It's the best way to learn pvp as it's very cheap and you can get some surprising kills with it.

20-30!? hmm! Wonde rif i could come out with a profit? ;D One of my brothers PC-Gamer buddies gave me 5mill as a starting out present, so well first i think i need bigger guns! =p where would you advise i go roughly if i wanted to just pick a fight?

halbarad wrote:Hopefully they can get it back up when they have said today, more likely it will be down for the rest of the day. I'm just hoping that it's up before Saturday as that's when my skill queue ends.

Im hoping its back up in another 7 hours when i get home from work! :wink:
<Witty and funny signature here>

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:41 am UTC

Veora wrote:
halbarad wrote:
When you do decide to start going out and trying pvp, buy 20 or 30 (or more) of your chosen frigate (Tech 1 is strongly suggested unless you have isk to burn) and fit them all the same then go out to low/null sec and get into fights and see what happens. It's the best way to learn pvp as it's very cheap and you can get some surprising kills with it.

20-30!? hmm! Wonde rif i could come out with a profit? ;D One of my brothers PC-Gamer buddies gave me 5mill as a starting out present, so well first i think i need bigger guns! =p where would you advise i go roughly if i wanted to just pick a fight?


20-30 is a low number, I've heard of people getting 50+ and losing them all. If you go with cheap T1 meta 1 or 2 fits then your probably looking at ~500k isk per ship, probably less if you go somewhere like Jita/Rens/Dodixie/Hek/Amarr/Insert-local-trade-hub-here and set up a bunch of buy orders for the modules you need.

Places to get fights in low sec (that I know of) include, Tama, Old Man Star, Amamake, Hagilur (or whatever the low sec next to Hek is called), Prism is supposed to be full of pirates as well.

Generally just flying round in any busy low sec, hanging round in the top asteroid belts etc.

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Veora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:43 am UTC

Sounds... Piratey. ARRR i love it. can't wait to get home! i want to finish all the tutorials! (and maybe the epic quest arc thing after) starting to wonder if ill have time for it all after my sub runs out! :O
<Witty and funny signature here>

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: EVE Online

Postby Vapour » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:48 am UTC

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here!

I recently downloaded the trial and my first impressions were very good, I took up mining (habbit from other MMOS) but, as it has been said, mining it boring on your own. (Intended on looking for a corp last night, but the server was off all night)

I've been thinking, what would be the best way to get into "scouting"
What skills etc would I need?
(Not familiar with skills, so might need some further explanation behind some skills, unless ofcourse it's an obvious skill)

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:15 am UTC

Veora wrote:Sounds... Piratey. ARRR i love it. can't wait to get home! i want to finish all the tutorials! (and maybe the epic quest arc thing after) starting to wonder if ill have time for it all after my sub runs out! :O


The epic arc is pretty good, nets you about 10mil with all the mission rewards and bonuses, probably more with bounties. It's aimed to set you up so you can fly a cruiser by the final missions and have the isk to pay for it. The time it takes to complete it is probably about 10 hours or so for a new player.

I ran through it again recently to get some extra standings (don't really want to grind negative standings away with Amarr doing level 1 missions) and it took me about 5 or 6 hours but I had done it before and was flying a T2 frigate, had to bring in a bigger ship for the last mission as my DPS wasn't high enough (Still got a few skills to train to get that up).


Vapour wrote:I've been thinking, what would be the best way to get into "scouting"
What skills etc would I need?


I don't have much experience with it but from what I've read of other people doing scouting, you want a small fast frigate to start with and eventually move on to a Covert Ops frigate or possibly an Interceptor if your not too far ahead of the fleet.

For scouts there seems to be a lot of skills that can't be expressed in game, such as knowing what your fleet/gang can take on and assessing potential threats etc.

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Veora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 am UTC

halbarad wrote:
Veora wrote:Sounds... Piratey. ARRR i love it. can't wait to get home! i want to finish all the tutorials! (and maybe the epic quest arc thing after) starting to wonder if ill have time for it all after my sub runs out! :O


The epic arc is pretty good, nets you about 10mil with all the mission rewards and bonuses, probably more with bounties. It's aimed to set you up so you can fly a cruiser by the final missions and have the isk to pay for it. The time it takes to complete it is probably about 10 hours or so for a new player.

I ran through it again recently to get some extra standings (don't really want to grind negative standings away with Amarr doing level 1 missions) and it took me about 5 or 6 hours but I had done it before and was flying a T2 frigate, had to bring in a bigger ship for the last mission as my DPS wasn't high enough (Still got a few skills to train to get that up).

Oh fantastic, great way to get some new stuff then! :D 10 hours is sounds fine, i can easilly do that within the next 2-3 days, nevermind when my trial is up, but ive still got most of the tutorials left (im on 4/10 on the military one atm), i belive last time i stopped playing was because i finished the military tutorial, i dont think i realised i could do any of the other ones, or i iwas aware there was a quest arc after, so in my tiny little ship i just felt a bit... overwhelmed :)

halbarad wrote:
Vapour wrote:I've been thinking, what would be the best way to get into "scouting"
What skills etc would I need?


I don't have much experience with it but from what I've read of other people doing scouting, you want a small fast frigate to start with and eventually move on to a Covert Ops frigate or possibly an Interceptor if your not too far ahead of the fleet.

For scouts there seems to be a lot of skills that can't be expressed in game, such as knowing what your fleet/gang can take on and assessing potential threats etc.


Left this in as its something that i'd love to do, i want to train up afterburners or something along those lines so i can zip around the big ships 8)

Can you make money off pirating anyway? Ransom some miners or blow them up style? ;D
<Witty and funny signature here>

User avatar
Purky
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:43 am UTC
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Purky » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 am UTC

Astrometrics and its secondary skills (astrometrics rangefinding/aquisition/theotheroneIcan'tremeber) are useful to have for scouting as well so you can probe out that other ship who is hiding in their safe spot, although for the most part you wouldn't need to use them, more a 'nice to have on hand' skillset.

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:28 am UTC

Veora wrote:Can you make money off pirating anyway? Ransom some miners or blow them up style? ;D


Ransoming is the only way to make real money from pirating. You do make some money from selling the loot of people's ships but unless they drop a bunch of T2/Meta 4/Faction mods then your income won't be great and may not even cover ship losses once you move onto T2 ships and fittings.

Have a look at some of the various pirate corps out there, like Veto and (I think) Tusker Bastards, they all have strict rules about pirating (the main one is Always Honour a Ransom) and seem to have a pretty fun time doing what they do.

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Veora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:41 am UTC

halbarad wrote:
Veora wrote:Can you make money off pirating anyway? Ransom some miners or blow them up style? ;D


Ransoming is the only way to make real money from pirating. You do make some money from selling the loot of people's ships but unless they drop a bunch of T2/Meta 4/Faction mods then your income won't be great and may not even cover ship losses once you move onto T2 ships and fittings.

Have a look at some of the various pirate corps out there, like Veto and (I think) Tusker Bastards, they all have strict rules about pirating (the main one is Always Honour a Ransom) and seem to have a pretty fun time doing what they do.


Halbarad, the more you talk about Eve, the more hooked i seem to get, its an odd experience.

Now, wheres my space-flintlocke, we be havin' some loot ter plunder. I'll definitally check out the pirate corps, seems like a easy place to learn before i wonder into bigger and more glorious battles

(still can't wait to see a Titan!)
<Witty and funny signature here>

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:46 am UTC

Veora wrote:(still can't wait to see a Titan!)


Head over to Luminaire (sp?) when the servers go back up and you can see a Caldari one. It's a celestial beacon and has a bunch of battleships around it that you can engage if you want.

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Veora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:52 am UTC

halbarad wrote:
Veora wrote:(still can't wait to see a Titan!)


Head over to Luminaire (sp?) when the servers go back up and you can see a Caldari one. It's a celestial beacon and has a bunch of battleships around it that you can engage if you want.



Ooh! Excellent! its that one and the Amarr one i want to see, ill have to make my way over there, is it allways there? o.O hopefully i wont get blown up :3
<Witty and funny signature here>

User avatar
Purky
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:43 am UTC
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Purky » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:54 am UTC

Veora wrote: (still can't wait to see a Titan!)


They are pretty cool to see. I remember during the recent NC/SC lagfest we jumped into a system and a HUGE fleet with 4 titans plus numerous supercaps were in there waiting for us. I was so excited about seeing them all that I forgot to fight and just kept taking screenshots until my harbinger popped :p (plus the lag was so terrible that I spent 5-6 minutes at -5% structure before the server realised that I was dead :p)
It was pretty cool.

Also Veora, a few of the pirate corps run academies such as the Black Rabbit academy, Veto Academy and Snigwaffe, which take in pilots with lower skillpoints but who want to learn piracy. I remember there being an article over on the RifterDrifter blog about them a while back, it may be useful for you to check it out if you want to go down that route :)

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Veora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:59 am UTC

Ooh! Yeah ill go look for that blog now, taking my lunch break right now, i think im getting the shakes from not enough eve right now! :roll:

Four titans though!? jees, that must have been an epic epic scale o.o
<Witty and funny signature here>

User avatar
Purky
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:43 am UTC
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Purky » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:07 am UTC

That defence was my first time in any kind of large scale fleet fighting, so it was really exciting and hugely epic to see and to be involved in. Being in a huge, multi-fleet armada on the way to dish out the pain to the invaders is really cool for a while. Then the lag happens and you are left repeatedly trying to target things which a) are already dead b)already warped out, or c) have already killed you.
That said, it was totally worth it and I had a lot of fun during that campaign.

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Veora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:45 am UTC

Purky wrote:That defence was my first time in any kind of large scale fleet fighting, so it was really exciting and hugely epic to see and to be involved in. Being in a huge, multi-fleet armada on the way to dish out the pain to the invaders is really cool for a while. Then the lag happens and you are left repeatedly trying to target things which a) are already dead b)already warped out, or c) have already killed you.
That said, it was totally worth it and I had a lot of fun during that campaign.

Arg i can't wait! Visited the Veto website they wont be recruiting for anotehr 6 months :O but there are plenty of others im sure
<Witty and funny signature here>

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:55 am UTC

Question for people:

For my industrial alt I'm strongly considering setting up a small POS in high sec (or a quiet low sec) and I'm just wondering what people's experience with them is?

It would be mostly for research and invention and since PI brings in a good chunk of the fuel I should be able to keep it going for very little cost, especially with my main being able to bring along a nice bit if isk to support it.

Any advice for POS defences or which Control Tower to get? I'm doing some reading on it now so hopefully I should have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for soon.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

For starters, don't assume that PI bringing in fuel means your POS will be cheaper to run. You doing no, a little, or a lot of PI has no bearing on the cost of running your POS.

But go for it. If you're only going to use it for research it's a bit wasteful; do invention.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: EVE Online

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

@Veora: If you want to get started in nullsec pvp, start looking for a corp that's newbie friendly. Find one that runs around in 0.0 and is willing to supply you with frigates to blow up. I can give you the name of a solid group that does a pretty good job of training people, but until you're ~5m SP or so, it's unlikely that you'll get into their main 0.0 division so you may not see a lot of pvp early on. What you will see, however is a large part of the high sec game and you'll learn the ropes, how to make money, and the mechanics and have a bunch of people to make friends with. PM if you want more information about specifics there.

@Vapour: There's a few different types of scouting situations, so think about what situation you're in most (if any). There's deep space recon where you travel along solo to investigate hostile POS's or moons. There's fleet recon where you're the lead or tail scout for a roaming fleet. There's a defense scout where a hostile fleet has entered into your space and you're trying to gain information on them.

Covert ops and Stealth Bombers are excellent scouts for all situations. Interceptors are also really good scouts, if you have the skills to fly them. Those are fairly expensive ships to learn from 0 in, though.

Honestly the best way to get into scouting is just jump in a frigate and go. There's some tips and tricks and different practices to it, and it was one of my favorite things to do when I got to do it. I've written wall of text threads for my old corporation, training new people to do it, so I'll save you that much. But the best way to get into it is jump in a cheap ship and go try it out.
Last edited by Mishrak on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:01 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Purky
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:43 am UTC
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: EVE Online

Postby Purky » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

@Halbarad- I run a 0.0 pos for myself and a friend and we base our mining alts out of it. I use a Domination (minmatar) medium tower and the only non-defence modules that I use are a large ship assembly array (18mill m3 storage space rather than a corp hangar array) and a ship storage thingy. I picked the minmatar tower as defending it was high on my priorities and projectiles are awesome, but this isn't such a problem if you are in highsec (barring wardecs), and the faction tower as it has reduced fuel requirements (and more hp). Defence-wise, I use medium arty/ac, small arty/ac, web batteries, warp disruptor batteries and 4 of each ECM module.

I haven't dabbled in PI yet, but there is a program you can use to calculate your fuel requirements (I think it is called MyPoS) which I would recommend doing so you can see how much of your monthly fuel will be coverd by what PI is bringing in.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

Purky wrote:I haven't dabbled in PI yet, but there is a program you can use to calculate your fuel requirements (I think it is called MyPoS) which I would recommend doing so you can see how much of your monthly fuel will be coverd by what PI is bringing in.

MyPOS is a great tool for looking at your POS fittings, similar to how EFT is a great tool for looking at your shit fittings.
But PI isn't going to 'cover' your POS. It's going to bring in some income which can be used to pay for your POS fuel; it does not reduce your POS fuel requirement, or make it cost any less. Since a single system isn't going to produce enough fuel to keep your POS running indefinitely, you're going to have to ship fuel in, and since your in high sec, it's just a matter of time.

0.0 fueling is more difficult.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Wyvern
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:31 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Wyvern » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

You've inspired me to get an Incursus or seven back up and running. I love those little things.

And I'm trying to get into a corp with a base in null-sec, but they haven't responded in awhile >.<

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:23 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:For starters, don't assume that PI bringing in fuel means your POS will be cheaper to run. You doing no, a little, or a lot of PI has no bearing on the cost of running your POS.



I understand that it won't bring in everything (or even a good portion) of what I need to fuel the POS but if it makes it a little cheaper, especially with the fluctuations in the market at the moment, then it will still be useful. There are also some other useful products for T2 production etc that will help me eventually if/when I move on to that.

But go for it. If you're only going to use it for research it's a bit wasteful; do invention.


It will start out as research but Invention will be my eventual goal as well, I just have to get the skills etc for that and I don't really want to set up a POS when I#m closer to doing invention and discover that it's just not feasible for me to keep it running for invention.

Purky wrote:@Halbarad- I run a 0.0 pos for myself and a friend and we base our mining alts out of it. I use a Domination (minmatar) medium tower and the only non-defence modules that I use are a large ship assembly array (18mill m3 storage space rather than a corp hangar array) and a ship storage thingy. I picked the minmatar tower as defending it was high on my priorities and projectiles are awesome, but this isn't such a problem if you are in highsec (barring wardecs), and the faction tower as it has reduced fuel requirements (and more hp). Defence-wise, I use medium arty/ac, small arty/ac, web batteries, warp disruptor batteries and 4 of each ECM module.

I haven't dabbled in PI yet, but there is a program you can use to calculate your fuel requirements (I think it is called MyPoS) which I would recommend doing so you can see how much of your monthly fuel will be coverd by what PI is bringing in.


I've had a quick look at the various towers but not a great deal and haven't compared them. I will definitely look into MyPoS and see what that is like. I had considered getting a Caldari (or variation of one) for the ECM bonus as I think that might be a useful deterrent in keeping the POS alive in high sec should my corp get war dec'd. It won't stop people attacking it but it will make it a lot more annoying to do so, especially with BS being the biggest ship you can use against it.

User avatar
Wyvern
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:31 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Wyvern » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:especially with BS being the biggest ship you can use against it.


Can someone explain this to me? I had heard before that you can't fly cap ships in hi-sec space, But it feels poorly defined to me. Can they only be flown in null-sec? or is low-sec okay for them too? And I know I've seen Orcas in hi-sec space. are T2 battleships fine too?

I just really don't understand about this at all.

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

Wyvern wrote:
halbarad wrote:especially with BS being the biggest ship you can use against it.


Can someone explain this to me? I had heard before that you can't fly cap ships in hi-sec space, But it feels poorly defined to me. Can they only be flown in null-sec? or is low-sec okay for them too? And I know I've seen Orcas in hi-sec space. are T2 battleships fine too?

I just really don't understand about this at all.


Cap ships can go into low sec and null sec, this includes Carriers, Super Carriers, Titans, Dreadnoughts, Rorqual (sp?) and any other ship that requires a Cynosural Field to travel between systems.

T2 Battleships are fine as are Orcas and I believe Jump Freighters are fine as well (though not for Cyno'ing around but I think they can still use stargates as normal).


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests