EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mishrak

Re: EVE Online

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

[edit, ninja'd]

The Orca isn't really a capital ship.

Capital Ships include:
All Dreadnaughts
Rorqual
Thanatos
Nidhoggur
Chimera
Archon

Super Capitals include all the Titans and Super Carriers.

Those ships would be seen as a direct threat to sovereignty by the NPC entities who control the high sec space and thus are not allowed into high sec. They cannot use stargates and must travel via Cyonosural field, which cannot be opened in high sec. Therefore if you want to assault a high security POS, you must use conventional ships, the biggest being the Battleship class of ship. T2 Battleships (namely Black Ops) can use stargates, so they are capable of entering high sec and assaulting POS's. Cyno fields can be opened in low sec, so you can assault low sec POS's with Capital class ships.

Also Jump Freighters can use stargates, yes.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

Oh alright, that makes sense. I just haven't grasped the concept of using means other than stargates to travel around yet. I had thought it was that such ships would be attacked and destroyed if they tried to go, it hadn't occurred to me that they just couldn't get there.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Yeah, Cyno fields are pretty slick and great methods of travel (and sometimes the only method to get where you want to go). There's also things called Jump Bridges which are used to travel from POS to POS in 0.0 space. When set up properly, you can move across an entire region of friendly space in just two or three jumps when it would take you 15 or 20 to go conventionally.

But in high sec, the only method of travel, outside of wormholes (not recommended as a newbie), is stargate to stargate.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:
@Vapour: There's a few different types of scouting situations, so think about what situation you're in most (if any). There's deep space recon where you travel along solo to investigate hostile POS's or moons. There's fleet recon where you're the lead or tail scout for a roaming fleet. There's a defense scout where a hostile fleet has entered into your space and you're trying to gain information on them.

Covert ops and Stealth Bombers are excellent scouts for all situations. Interceptors are also really good scouts, if you have the skills to fly them. Those are fairly expensive ships to learn from 0 in, though.

Honestly the best way to get into scouting is just jump in a frigate and go. There's some tips and tricks and different practices to it, and it was one of my favorite things to do when I got to do it. I've written wall of text threads for my old corporation, training new people to do it, so I'll save you that much. But the best way to get into it is jump in a cheap ship and go try it out.

Thanks for that, best action would be, as you said; just practicing in a frigate (Which I presume is the starter ships? << Unsure of ship paths)
Then finding a corp and seeing which scout they would need might be a good idea.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Wormholes, I've been in one once, But I don't have any idea how one could be used for travel. I just ended up in wormhole space, looked around for a bit, and then fled when a battlecruiser popped up and started attacking. (Afterwards, the guy I was with talked to them, they said they claimed the wormhole or something. I didn't get it.)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

For conventional (Subcapital ships) You have 5 main hulls. Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Battlecruiser and Battleship

Every other type of ship is a variation of those hulls.

For Frigates you have Interceptors, Assault Ships, Covert Ops (including Stealth Bombers) and Electronic Attack Frigates.

For Destroyers you have Interdictors as the only T2 hull.

For Cruisers you have Recon, Logistics and Heavy Assault Ships (HAC's).

For Battlecruisers you have Command Ships.

For Battleships you have Black Ops and Maurauders.

http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/mark ... group_id=4 is a great resource I used often when looking at ships and mods.

My Recommended path for PVP when you're just starting out is Frigate->Interceptor->T2 small guns->Battlecruiser->T2 medium guns; Caldari are a little different, and I'd recommend guns over missiles, but there's a place for missiles. Train to fit all the t2 mods, train Navigation, Engineering and Electronics, Shield/Armor support skills, etc, get your learning up and move from there. When you can get all your basic skills in place, training for the more advanced ships becomes a whole lot easier. If you try to do it the other way around, you'll lose a lot of time and money. The hardest part is picking the order. So find a ship you like to fly, get really good at it, train skills to support it and keep flying it while you train for bigger and better things.
Last edited by Mishrak on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:09 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

Wyvern wrote:Wormholes, I've been in one once, But I don't have any idea how one could be used for travel. I just ended up in wormhole space, looked around for a bit, and then fled when a battlecruiser popped up and started attacking. (Afterwards, the guy I was with talked to them, they said they claimed the wormhole or something. I didn't get it.)

Wormholes lead to random places. Most lead to so-called "wormhole space" which is outside the normal Eve map. Some connect between two known-space systems; so you could travel directly from Venal to Devoid in one jump if you found such a wormhole. Also, the wormhole space sector you were in almost certainly had other wormholes in it, which would either connect to another wormhole system or to a random known-space system.

As for "claiming" a wormhole, there's no game mechanic for that other than parking your own and your corpmate's ships on the other side and shooting anything that comes through.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Purky

Postby Purky » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

@Halbarad - Caldari towers ECM bonus is nice, but the typical defences for these towers are missile batteries which rely on CPU. Unfortunately this means that as soon as your POS goes into reinforced mode the missile batteries switch off.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:For starters, don't assume that PI bringing in fuel means your POS will be cheaper to run. You doing no, a little, or a lot of PI has no bearing on the cost of running your POS.

I understand that it won't bring in everything (or even a good portion) of what I need to fuel the POS but if it makes it a little cheaper, especially with the fluctuations in the market at the moment, then it will still be useful.

PI doesn't make it any cheaper to run the POS. It can reduce the amount of ISK spent to keep the POS running, by giving you a new stream of income that you can spend on the POS. These are not the same thing.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:I understand that it won't bring in everything (or even a good portion) of what I need to fuel the POS but if it makes it a little cheaper, especially with the fluctuations in the market at the moment, then it will still be useful.

So, maybe I should say it again? Bringing in POS fuel from PI doesn't make your POS cheaper to fuel. It just means you're bringing in a bit of ISK in the form of the goods produced by PI, and spending that ISK on your POS.
Net cost of POS without PI = Net cost of POS with PI
SlyReaper wrote:As for "claiming" a wormhole, there's no game mechanic for that other than parking your own and your corpmate's ships on the other side and shooting anything that comes through.

You can anchor a POS in a wormhole system, and bubble all the known wormholes in/out.
As for wormhole travel, null-sec wormholes will often open to higher class wormhole systems, which in turn, will often open into other null-sec regions, low sec regions, or even high sec regions. This can be an effective method, once you spend the time to scan them down and scout their exits, for sneakily moving stuff past k-space gatecamps.
Cynical Idealist wrote:PI doesn't make it any cheaper to run the POS. It can reduce the amount of ISK spent to keep the POS running, by giving you a new stream of income that you can spend on the POS. These are not the same thing.

No, dude, it isn't reducing the ISK spent to keep the POS running. It's increasing your total profits with PI and using some of those profits to pay for your POS. The cost of the POS is the same one way or the other. This isn't a technicality I'm harping on here.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:No, dude, it isn't reducing the ISK spent to keep the POS running. It's increasing your total profits with PI and using some of those profits to pay for your POS. The cost of the POS is the same one way or the other. This isn't a technicality I'm harping on here.

Which is reducing the ISK flow out of your wallet, but not the cost. It's just that you're paying some of the cost with the fuel produced at PI, which doesn't come out of your wallet.

We're arguing the same point here in different ways. Mineralsfuel you mine yourself isn't free.
1)The tone of voice
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:Which is reducing the ISK flow out of your wallet, but not the cost. It's just that you're paying some of the cost with the fuel produced at PI, which doesn't come out of your wallet.

We're arguing the same point here in different ways. Mineralsfuel you mine yourself isn't free.

Basically this was what I was thinking. I really have to start remembering that stuff I mine/PI etc isn't free or I will probably make a really terrible industrialist.

Anyway, I've been looking at MyPoS and the Caldari and Guristas towers seem to have a small problem when I'm putting in shield hardeners. It bsaically caps out my resources for the rest of my modules very quickly and anything that's left isn't really much. I haven't looked at the other towers yet but I'm wondering if I need shield hardeners for a small POS in high sec. I'm going to have a play around with it some more and see what else I can come up with.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

And the server STILL isn't up. WTF is taking so damn long? My skill queue finished this morning. :cry:

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

I can never understand the times they give out. It's both on 24 hour notations and in UTC. I can only manage one conversion half the time. With both of them to do I get so confused.

Soo... 1600 UTC? EST time -5.... so... 11? an hour ago? I'm lost.

(luckily, I had some skills in there were gonna take a couple days.)

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:46 pm UTC

And double post for server is back up :D

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 pm UTC

The times they give out are EVE Time iirc. EVE time is GMT time.

http://eve.grismar.net/wikka.php?wakka=EveTime

I always got confused too though. GMT, UTC, ABC, Why me? :roll:

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

Hey guys, im looking to get back into eve, someone want to shoot me a 21 day invite? ill try and buy in thee first 2 weeks to get you your free month if you want. PM me

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Looks like we get something back from this downtime.

I'm interested to see how this new system works out and I intend to set a nice 2 or 3 week skill ready for when it's getting deployed.

Edit:

New Dev Blog about shiny new ship for us

Looks kind of interesting but I wonder what other stats it will have. Probably something similar to the Zephyr where it had limited but very focused capabilities.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

I adore that Chribba responded to this thread within 1 minute of its posting.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:52 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Wyvern wrote:Wormholes, I've been in one once, But I don't have any idea how one could be used for travel. I just ended up in wormhole space, looked around for a bit, and then fled when a battlecruiser popped up and started attacking. (Afterwards, the guy I was with talked to them, they said they claimed the wormhole or something. I didn't get it.)

Wormholes lead to random places. Most lead to so-called "wormhole space" which is outside the normal Eve map. Some connect between two known-space systems; so you could travel directly from Venal to Devoid in one jump if you found such a wormhole.

*twitch* I yelled at a corpmate for this. There is no WH that I know of that will go straight from highsec to highsec. It will be highsec - wh system - highsec. And though I may be a noob I do know Freighters and Jump Freighters are capital sized ships, along with the Orca. Orca and Rorqual are both Capital Industrial Ships.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:56 am UTC

Orca is not a capital sized ship. It goes through jump gates (which isn't proof of capital sized). Orca is like a slightly larger BS.

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:02 am UTC

Its classification is "Capital Industrial Ships" -> "ORE". Might not be proof, but its pretty close for me. And yeah, the jumpgates thing isnt proof, JFs and Freighters.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:05 am UTC

Orca requires Industrial Command Ships. You're thinking of the Rorqual, which IS a capital ship.

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:11 am UTC

http://evelopedia.com/en/wiki/Orca At the top, says Capital Industrial, and at the bottom, its right beside the Rorqual. Its easily the smallest kiddie capital, but its a capital.

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:12 am UTC

sweet, just checked evemon, 10 days till im in a covetor, then learning skill for a bit. also getting cash this weekend, free month will be soon izawwallgood

EDIT: oops i meant procurer

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:20 am UTC

Keldaran wrote:sweet, just checked evemon, 10 days till im in a covetor, then learning skill for a bit. also getting cash this weekend, free month will be soon izawwallgood

I would HIGHLY recommend against mining in a few weeks. Have you heard of HULKAGEDDON? Its a player run event in which players are encouraged to suicide gank miners.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:13 am UTC

Canineteeth: a capital ship is a ship requiring the skill Capital Ships to fly.

The Orca does not have that requirement, therefore it is not a capital ship.
1)The tone of voice

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:33 am UTC

Canineteeth wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:

Wormholes lead to random places. Most lead to so-called "wormhole space" which is outside the normal Eve map. Some connect between two known-space systems; so you could travel directly from Venal to Devoid in one jump if you found such a wormhole.

*twitch* I yelled at a corpmate for this. There is no WH that I know of that will go straight from highsec to highsec. It will be highsec - wh system - highsec. And though I may be a noob I do know Freighters and Jump Freighters are capital sized ships, along with the Orca. Orca and Rorqual are both Capital Industrial Ships.

I think I've found a hisec-> hisec wormhole a few times... hisec -> lowsec more often though. Hisec to null are pretty rare, but they exist.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:34 am UTC

Capital size wise. For construction, it needs Capital ship Construction and capital components. I'll just agree to disagree and go to sleep now.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Canineteeth wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:

Well you shouldn't have yelled at your corpmate because you're wrong. There are definitely high-sec to high-sec wormholes out there.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:21 am UTC

Canineteeth wrote:
Keldaran wrote:sweet, just checked evemon, 10 days till im in a covetor, then learning skill for a bit. also getting cash this weekend, free month will be soon izawwallgood

I would HIGHLY recommend against mining in a few weeks. Have you heard of HULKAGEDDON? Its a player run event in which players are encouraged to suicide gank miners.

It's mostly focused against Hulks but there will definitely be fallout against other mining barges.

Also, I'd suggest just getting in a Retriever, it's not much more training (at least I don't think it is, not 100% sure on the mining barge progression) and then saving up for a Hulk while training for it. It's only a few days train between Covetor and Hulk.

Veora

Postby Veora » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:06 am UTC

Man! i had so much fun last night! :D finished off the military tutorial, and then did the adv one, went from an executioner, got a punisher (I love this little ship, wanna get it so it zips around the place) and then even finished off with a coercer!

all the people in the xkcd channel are really nice too :), on the site they said they would be giving a skill pool to everyone, trials included.. what erm exactly does that mean? :oops:
<Witty and funny signature here>

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:27 am UTC

I got my first ever Apoc blown up last night in a fleet battle. It was fun. I think next time I might try a geddon.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:45 am UTC

Veora wrote:on the site they said they would be giving a skill pool to everyone, trials included.. what erm exactly does that mean? :oops:

I don't think anyone is exactly sure. There are lots of rumors flying around about possibilities, like removing learning skills and giving the skill points back as well and various other things. The main consensus that I have seen (at least from the few Eve boards I visit) is that no one wants to be able to buy SP with money (either real or ISK).

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:53 am UTC

What I'd love to see is being able to gain SP by using the skill. So if you're in a battle and using T2 medium pulse lasers for example, you'd gradually accumulate some SP in Pulse Laser Specialisation even if you're not training it at the time. It would also pull in SP for things like Surgical Strike, Rapid Fire, Controlled Bursts, Sharpshooter, etc.

Only like 1SP per minute in each affected skill, so as not to make it completely broken.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:07 pm UTC

Canineteeth wrote:Capital size wise. For construction, it needs Capital ship Construction and capital components. I'll just agree to disagree and go to sleep now.

But... You're wrong. The Orca is not a capital ship anymore than a BS is a capital ship. It requires the skill Industrial COMMAND Ships to fly, not Industrial CAPITAL Ships to fly, as the Rorqual does.

It's a big ship, I'll give you that, but it's not a capital.

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Canineteeth wrote:Capital size wise. For construction, it needs Capital ship Construction and capital components. I'll just agree to disagree and go to sleep now.

But... You're wrong. The Orca is not a capital ship anymore than a BS is a capital ship. It requires the skill Industrial COMMAND Ships to fly, not Industrial CAPITAL Ships to fly, as the Rorqual does.

It's a big ship, I'll give you that, but it's not a capital.

It requires capital building materials. It requires the capital construction skill. Like I said, we're never getting anywhere, so lets just agree to disagree. on that note, I went from a shitty renter alliance to an alliance thats just playing horrible. Not allowed to rat in the system with the station, can only rat in three systems, to mine ice you can go to that system /only/ for ice, blah.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

It does take Capital Ship materials to produce but really it's more closer in role to a T2 Battlecruiser Command Ship than a Carrier or Dread, which the fits the Rorqual. The simple fact that you can take it into high sec and that it doesn't require the Capital Ship skill to fly means you can't really classify it as a Capital Ship. The ORE ships follow a different pattern and have to be classified differently.
Last edited by Mishrak on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

Okay since I got my apoc blown up on it's first outing, I'm trying an armageddon. Here's the thing. Amarr battleships are supposed to get really great DPS, right? To make up for the shit damage types. But no matter what I try I cannot get anything resembling decent DPS out of this geddon.

With 7 meta 4 pulse lasers with multifrequency crystals, and 3 heatsinks, I'm getting ~670DPS. I have 12million SP in gunnery, and all relevant skills are either at 4 or 5. How in the flying fuck are you supposed to get high damage output from this ship?

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

T2 Pulse, Scorch Ammo.

Or maybe faction crystals, but I think Scorch (if that's the close range T2 ammo), is the best.

T2 Large was the longest skill I trained, and most rewarding. Especially when Dominion launched and boosted Minmatar Artillery and ammo. I was getting some insane alpha strikes with 1200's and 1400's.

[edit] Also the best fit is to fit 8 guns in there. You really need max fitting to do it though w/ T2 guns. AWU5, Probably a faction or T2 RCU and maybe even some hardwirings to make it work, but that's how you get the crazy damage out of an Apoc. Meta 4 won't cut it.
Last edited by Mishrak on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gaming”