EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:40 pm UTC

I dunno what the market for it is like now, but I remember hearing that selling packages of researched cap ship BPCs sold for a pretty good amount.

Generally speaking, I wager most groups interested in building cap ships for profit are going to have the capital to grab the BPOs. Buying the BPOs for all the components is pretty outrageously expensive.

Maybe pick up the t2 ship component BPOs, ME research them, and sell t2 ship components. That wasn't terribly ISK intensive to get into, and sold pretty well.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:20 pm UTC

Trying to install EVE is driving me crazy. Tried Steam, the installer off the website, and tried downloading the packages/payloads manually. Best case scenario so far is the Steam one, which will actually finish installing but then throw a bunch of errors about missing files which the repair tool fails to fix.

Yay!

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:Invention for T2 production is a good use for a POS, or possibly cap ship research if you have the isk to set it up.

I used a Caldari POS when I was doing it, mostly since it was slightly cheaper to get the charters and fuel.

Also, because the Caldari towers have the most CPU, so you can cram the most Mobile Labs/Advanced Mobile Labs into one.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

Hah, got it last night. Turns out it's my work's firewall, which I'm thankfully in charge of (it's a new one, and had some weird default setting that stated any URL over X length was not allowed to make connections, so I disabled it for my computer). Started training Science 5 last night.

Now to fly around and try to make enough money to get a Starbase within a month. Hopefully I will be able to do this while blowing stuff up.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

EVE has taught me to triple-check my spreadsheets before I produce something! Yay!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:13 pm UTC

Enokh, lofty goals are good, but I wouldn't count on having a pos by the time a trial account expires.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:43 pm UTC

Oh, I reactivated my old account, so it'll be a little easier for me to make the money in time. Semi-AFK mining while at work helps a lot. Also have a trial account rolling, since I'd like to PVP but don't feel like bouncing between Industry/Research skills and PewPew skills. If I maintain interest until the trial's over, I'll spring for a second account (I kinda of live in the middle of nowhere and don't do much of anything [single parent]), so spending 30 bucks a month for a few hours of entertainment a night works for me.

EDIT: I guess I'll start thinking of manufacturing as a way to squeeze more money out of my mining, but it's going to take forever for the ROI to kick over. Bought an Antimatter Charge L BPO due to my aforementioned shitty math and I can only imagine it taking quite a while before I actually make that money back.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:20 pm UTC

I think you should look at costs involved in running a pos and getting into invention before deciding its what you're pushing for within a month. Especially if an ammo bpo was noticable to your wallet.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

That's a pretty fair assessment. It's less that I'm 100% that I CAN do this within a month, and more that I work better when under (relatively) grandiose goals.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:19 pm UTC

For sure, for sure, I tended to operate under a 6 and 12 month training goal. Just be aware of the costs, as I'd say full pos running and such is akin to buying and profitig from a freighter insofar as required capital is concerned. If you don't think you could make use of a freighter, you probably arent ready for a pos.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 pm UTC

I ran the numbers on running reaction poses. Its decent net income, but

A) the startup costs are fairly high (it was like you have to invest around 30 bil in reaction stock to make a bil a week)
B) Oh god the number of jump freighter runs you need per week

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

Does anybody know if Retribution is going to bring the splitting of destroyers and battlecruiser skills into racials? I feel like I want to get my BC skill to 5 before doing that happens, but on the other hand, I'm mostly flying frig/dest/cruisers these days and would rather get my gunnery support skills up with those 20 days of training time. (Destroyers already 5, and I have decent gunner support, 3-4 in everything, but I'd like to max those out sooner rather than later)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:33 am UTC

They havent announced it.

Instead, they are spending their time making sure you cant avoid getting podded in lowsec.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:32 pm UTC

Link that, Blacksails?
Omni.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:25 pm UTC

After losing a ship and entering a capsule, players will still be restricted from docking/jumping for up to a minute (if they have an active Weapons flag).

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog. ... nbid=73443

Wtf is that, really?

In other news, I continue to be unable to do any damage at all to enemies :(

Scratch that, just did significant damage on a tornado, woo :)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:21 am UTC

mike-l wrote:After losing a ship and entering a capsule, players will still be restricted from docking/jumping for up to a minute (if they have an active Weapons flag).

Doesn't prevent you from bouncing safes if you're able to warp out. In lowsec, there aren't any bubbles to prevent you from doing so, so I don't really see what the problem is...
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:31 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
mike-l wrote:After losing a ship and entering a capsule, players will still be restricted from docking/jumping for up to a minute (if they have an active Weapons flag).

Doesn't prevent you from bouncing safes if you're able to warp out. In lowsec, there aren't any bubbles to prevent you from doing so, so I don't really see what the problem is...

You cant eject either, so you can just tackle someone, then fly a smartbombing ship next to them.

It also makes it easier to lost pods in nullsec, since you cant eject when a sabre shows up on dscan. And believe me, its actually fairly common if you get tackled way off a gate by a gang with enough logi/ewar that they cant lose anything to you, that they hold damage until a dictor gets on you.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:49 am UTC

That's... frustrating.
Omni.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:17 am UTC

Well, right now, you can just eject and warp off.

But yeah, its a pretty silly change, and a very hamfisted way to fix orca abuse.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:37 am UTC

Orca abuse?

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:53 am UTC

There are two variations of it

One is in highsec, you get someone to shoot you (usually a missioner in a mission), while you are baiting in something like a tanky merlin. You then warp your orca alt in, and hotswap into a sleipnir and kill him. You generally make these orcas with a mwd so they can bump the missioner off align as you swap. if the missioner is bait, you eject from your sleipnir and scoop it with the orca.

The other abuse is sitting on the low/null side of a high-low/null gate in a bunch of ships (usually t3s since you can fit multiple into the orca) and gatecamp. If somehow you fail to scout an attacking gang (or get bridged on) and get tricked into agressing, you just eject from your ships and the orca scoops them, then jumps into highsec.

Note that in neither case can the enemy steal your ship, since you cant board a locked ship (unless you are the original owner) and the orca/logi just lock the ships.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

Simplest way to fix it is to flag the ship with aggression and don't let it be scooped into a hangar, and don't let an aggressed-then-ejected pod board a ship
Omni.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

Yes, but that would make sense. This is CCP we're dealing with, after all.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:05 pm UTC

My guess is flagging an unpiloted ship with anything is actually a bit tougher than you think. And making it so aggressed pilots can't eject or board is a worse solution.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:19 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:My guess is flagging an unpiloted ship with anything is actually a bit tougher than you think. And making it so aggressed pilots can't eject or board is a worse solution.

Maybe, maybe not. Unpiloted ships that were piloted generate killmails when destroyed, and if you eject from a gcced ship, sentry guns will still kill the ship.

Easiest way to fix it imo would be to make it so targeted ships cannot be scooped

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:Easiest way to fix it imo would be to make it so targeted ships cannot be scooped

Yeah, that would be an easy solution.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:31 am UTC

I don't know why you would try docking/jumping in low in your pod anyways. Session change timer is too long for that to actually be a good way to get out. It'll work sometimes to be sure, but if you're fighting people who aren't bad, it's awful. Just warp to a moon like everyone else.

If you're just being held to die, you have a decent chance of deactivating your guns and being able to eject anyways, so.. Yeah. Slightly less bad people will be able to pod you now. Not bad people will continue padding bad to mildly bad people in low, and not bad people will continue padding most people in null. Yup.

So.. Yup.

How's the weather over there?

Yup.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 am UTC

Alasseo wrote:
If you're just being held to die, you have a decent chance of deactivating your guns and being able to eject anyways

Not really. A minute is a very long time.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:29 am UTC

Session change is around 10-15 seconds. After a warp, you can easily jump/dock.
Omni.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:
Alasseo wrote:
If you're just being held to die, you have a decent chance of deactivating your guns and being able to eject anyways

Not really. A minute is a very long time.

I swear that minute takes an hour. You can fit a lot of "Docking request denied"s into that minute.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

So, silly me, didn't realize how much of that ammo I'd be able to produce just from semi-AFK mining while at work, and now I've more than made up for the BPO. It's a small thing, but it makes me happy. Just need to go find some other decent ones to make while I save up for doing cooler things.

And boy, do I need to train Freighters.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:37 pm UTC

That's the thing about ammo - it tends to have really good profit margins, as a percentage of the input cost! Just...not very good money per hour, and it's quite bulky to haul to points-of-sale. A decent entry-level investment, but definitely something you'll graduate from over time.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

Yeah, it's pretty good for now, I suppose. Actually having trouble figuring out what I'm going to do next, since I'm kinda restricted to things that can be mined in high-sec (buying low- and null-sec ore basically destroys any profit I could make from producing, from the things I've looked at). I suppose I'll just stick to ammo and other low-end consumables for now.

Ought to find myself a Corporation, too. Playing Internet Spaceships by oneself is pretty dull.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:03 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Session change is around 10-15 seconds. After a warp, you can easily jump/dock.

Its currently 10 seconds, and its short enough that you can sometimes jump/dock your pod out when you die on a gate or station.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:06 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Session change is around 10-15 seconds. After a warp, you can easily jump/dock.

Even in a pod, your average warp will take around 30 seconds. All that the weapons change means in low sec is that you have to warp twice instead of once.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:02 pm UTC

But what is the point of the change?

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 pm UTC

It is for sure aimed at the orca/carrier swap tactic (edge case near exploit) of aggressing and then if there's trouble storing your ship in a (non-aggressed) second ship which can then instantly dock. I think it is also to some extent aimed at those who eject out of T3s to avoid the skillpoint loss. It's been pointed out that at some point a CCP member did say that was intended, but I don't think it really was by the original folks who envisioned T3s. CCP is not monolithic, remember.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:46 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:It is for sure aimed at the orca/carrier swap tactic (edge case near exploit) of aggressing and then if there's trouble storing your ship in a (non-aggressed) second ship which can then instantly dock. I think it is also to some extent aimed at those who eject out of T3s to avoid the skillpoint loss. It's been pointed out that at some point a CCP member did say that was intended, but I don't think it really was by the original folks who envisioned T3s. CCP is not monolithic, remember.

Between this and the HML nerf, I really cant see myself flying my tengu much

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

I'll still be in my Lokis erryday.

And I'll likely explode just as much as I do now.

Really should work on that.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:50 am UTC

Woo, my first 1v1 kill

http://rvbeve.com/red/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=321232

I'm absolutely terrible, but slowly learning.

Return to “Gaming”