EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

I played EVE for ~5 years. To me, it's now like a bad breakup; I keep looking at it, longingly, remembering the good 'ol days and the sexy spaceships, and thinking "Maybe I should just give it another go?". I find myself leafing through old photographs and checking in with our mutual friends, and everything is through rose tinted glasses. Yeah, EVE was fun, those times she woke me up at 3am to refuel a POS or defend against invaders, that wasn't HER fault.

The only thing about EVE I can objectively say I still enjoy is the stories. I don't want to be part of them, I don't want to shape them, I just like hearing about Titans that misclick and jump to the wrong cyno, or a crew that spends a few weeks hunting nullsec and then makes a mad dash for safety with their cargo full of looted goodies, or the guy who recognize an upcoming war and got quick clearance to bring a JF in full of ships and ammo and cleaned house. But playing the game? Dealing with that obnoxious tedious grind, the wretched metagaming, the spreadsheeting? No thank you. I've got mountains of data in my actual job I still have to go through, why in New Eden would I want to set up MORE data to sort through?

And don't get me started on the combat.

That said, I do read this thread pretty regularly. I like knowing that EVE is doing well, dating again. Maybe she misses me. Maybe Riame is getting antsy, sitting in his fancy Thanatos. Maybe Uxsaurius is ready to jump into a carrier of his own. No! Fuck you EVE, I'm happy now!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

... lowsec? There's no waking up at 3 AM with what I do. No late-night POS refuels or CTAs.

Primarily, it's lots of fights.
Omni.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:And don't get me started on the combat.
I was never looking for more fights.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

Small gang combat is really fun. Dunking on fleets bigger than yours is really fun. 4,000 man 10% tidi blobs where it takes an hour real time to process 2 minutes of game time. Screw that noise.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Myself and a friend are trying to get back into the game and are looking for a corp. Any of you guys out in 0.0 or wormhole space looking for a pair of experienced but out-of-practice pilots?
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:57 am UTC

WTF, HYDRA? Where did your game go in rounds 3 and 4?
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:26 am UTC

I hear Garmon actually just uses a RNG to do commands as he 12-boxes the entire team, c/d?

Also, spambot: I can set you up with a few WH groups, I'll PM you.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Thanks, Alesseo. I will drop your name so hard it may break!

Also, how much does this rule!
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Eh.

I'm ambivalent about it. I so rarely use my clone anymore, but I don't generally let myself get strung out across the cluster. Nor do I use clones that are so spendy I'm unwilling to take them into nullsec.

I feel a better way to approach it would have been to allow changing of clones in-location without any waiting period.
Omni.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Or make jump clone cool down proportional to the distance you jump

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Any time taken off the Jump Clone timer is a positive. A straight 5 hours isn't amazing but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. I'd rather see them do it like they do the Trade skills, where it doubles after a certain point. So like Level 1 is 1 hour, Level 2 is 2 hours, Level 3 is 3 hours, Level 4 is 6 hours, Level 5 is 12 hours.

Also +1 for entertaining Alliance Tournament. Especially after the AT 9 debacle, this was a very exciting and fun finish.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

I'd be okay with proportional to distance jumped.

Free, unhindered movement is one of those things I look at with great trepidation for an MMO.
Omni.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Free, unhindered movement is one of those things I look at with great trepidation for an MMO.

Why? (Also keep in mind that jump cloning is not exactly unhindered - you're still leaving any ships behind when you do it; the only thing that transfers is your pod.)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

On a large, coordinated scale, you could use it to move entire groups of people across the game into stations where normally they wouldn't be able to get to. This would be hard to set up, bit it's not impossible. I'd imagine it's something they consider, even if it's just a little bit.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:On a large, coordinated scale, you could use it to move entire groups of people across the game into stations where normally they wouldn't be able to get to. This would be hard to set up, bit it's not impossible. I'd imagine it's something they consider, even if it's just a little bit.

That's already possible via pod self-destruction, or just the existing jump clone mechanics; the latter just happens to be arbitrarily restricted to a 24 hour interval (and the former is not restricted at all beyond medclone costs, which are insignificant for anything you'd specifically want that much coordination for).
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:07 am UTC

Yeah. With a 12 hour timer though, it'd be much quicker and more practical to utilize than it is now.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:17 am UTC

One of the things about EvE is risk in everything.

JCing is one of the few things that doesn't have risk.

I'm not adverse to it entirely, but it does need to be carefully thought about.
Omni.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:I've looked at EVE before.
Every time I've looked at it, I've been tempted.

I did it...

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Woop. Maybe?

Join the XKCD channel in game for a rather unpopulated channel but where I camp out and will answer questions :)

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Woop. Maybe?

Join the XKCD channel in game for a rather unpopulated channel but where I camp out and will answer questions :)

Spoiler:
Mishrak is going to get you to go to a quiet 0.0 space and then pod you :)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Hardly. I'm not in Goonswarm. I'm a pro carebear at heart. I'll be glad to offer help.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Friend of mine won a Moros in Somer Blink a while back and wants to actually fly it. Anyone know how they should be fit so he knows what skills to train? We're thinking about joining up with some wormholers, so presumably it'll find its way into cap escalation PvE, so we need to be ready for that.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

No idea how to fit it specifically for w-space, but a Moros needs Capital Hybrid Turrets and gunnery support, Tactical Weapon Reconfiguration (Siege skill) preferably to 5 for the T2 Siege Module and all the proper navigation skills (JDC, JFC).

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

This is a fairly standard escalation Moros:

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

[Moros, Sleeper Shooter]
Damage Control II
Imperial Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Imperial Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Capital Inefficient Armor Repair Unit
Federation Navy Magnetic Field Stabilizer

Sensor Booster II, Scan Resolution Script
Sensor Booster II, Scan Resolution Script
Tracking Computer II, Tracking Speed Script

Limited Mega Ion Siege Blaster I, Antimatter Charge XL
Siege Module II

Capital Semiconductor Memory Cell II
Capital Semiconductor Memory Cell II
Capital Semiconductor Memory Cell I

Faction stuff/meta guns/t2 siege can be downgraded as needed, all our current Moros are still fit with t2 large rigs from before the change so the extra price on capital rigs may or may not make the t2 rigs not worth it over t1.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:13 am UTC

At first I went "AUGH" because no prop mod or tackle.

Then I realized... Moros.
Omni.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:35 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:At first I went "AUGH" because no prop mod or tackle.

Then I realized... Moros.

I lol'd.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:43 am UTC

Unrelated to my experience with capitals being largely relegated to "OKAY SOMEONE GO GET A HIC", and how to make them suffer for their crimes against humanity, I've started streaming my fights... and managed to get an amazing fight about 1:12:45 on, mostly solo (my fleetmate got blown up early) which ended up in my loss.

But that's okay.

A single AF against a faction cruiser, a Rook, and a faction frigates? I lasted seven minutes. And if I had been smart and killed the dual-web hookbill first, I might have lasted longer. Didn't realize he'd become a problem, unfortunately.

also my own voice bothers me auugghh but I need to get over it or at least get to where I change it constantly
Omni.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:51 am UTC

Continuing my trend of being terrible at this game, I left TEST and have been doing FW while I train up skills for WH and some more capital. I grind out a couple million LP, make an extensive spreadsheet on what to cash out on. Cash out the whole deal, look at my wallet and see it very short of what I thought I'd get....

My spreadsheet didn't include the ISK cost of purchases. Fuck.

Estimated opportunity loss, 500mil. Could have been MUCH worse though, as all the items still were at least profitable, and some were actually the right items to buy.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:22 am UTC

Omni.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:20 am UTC

posting while on vacation in sweden to mention that t2 rigs are not needed on a moros for even quad escalations. mostly because its unlikely they'll even target a dread before they die, but also because they will die quite quickly.

note that the above may not apply if you are understaffed scrubs doing single escalation waves and your lokis are bad/no rorq/you do escalations in ways that are most people efficient vs time efficient.

also, you my boy bronn. since I cant see the video, are you on a delay or jst doin it live?
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:02 am UTC

Not-quite live. There's a couple problems with my stream - I have virtual no viewers (since I'm brand new) - and I'm on Justin.tv not twitch.tv and I can't figure out why. I may just make a new account to fix that.
Omni.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Odyssey 1.1 is pretty sweet. Skills are much better organized, armor rep buffs were sorely needed, HAC buffs are awesome. Links are slowly moving towards where they ought to be.

In game I'm making mad money doing FW, Minmatar is at T5 and just raking it in, and actually getting to PVP more than I did when I was in TEST, not to mention never any TiDi, travel is much easier (seriously, fuck bubbles) and I can relatively safely fit moderately expensive implants. Plus, amazingly, the maturity level of the average FW pilot exceeds that of the average TEST pilot. (I say amazingly as TEST has at least a nominal barrier to entry while FW has none)

Edit: Having an incorrect dock bookmark and seeing 'approaching docking perimeter' when carrying 3bil in loot in a rookie ship... is scary. Fortunately I made it, but damn that was dumb.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:23 am UTC

So, what do you people think about the Rubicon announcement? Me, I'm pretty exited, but obviously the EVE Online fora are already full of people complaining they didn't get their particular new pirate battleship update. *rolls eyes*

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:55 am UTC

They haven't really given any details, so, meh?

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

We've got a decent list of features, actually. The overall theme is reducing the amount we are required to interact with empires, which is pretty awesome. Also, sisters of eve ships.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

The SOE cruiser looks pretty neat. Not sure how the proposed changes result in less empire interaction?

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

I'm moderately pissed that they worked their way up from frigates to battleships for rebalancing in the t1s, yet they've steadfastly avoided my two main classes of t2 ships - AFs and Recons - even if CSs did get some love.

As to the actual changes that *are* occurring... minor frustration that inties gain almost nothing in lowsec, a wait-and-see stance on the EAS changes, and a wait-and-see-but-maybe-extreme happiness about the cyno jammers.
Omni.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

You have to remember AFs got a balance pass right before the massive wave of them. Going into this, they've been one of the best balanced as a class. The Wolf and Jag are broken, sure, but the rest (I think?) are all quite well off.

Also, with the exception of CS, you've been pretty good about going t1 frigate -> BS and now they're going to do the same again with t2. AFs just missed this wave, because, like I said, they're fairly well balanced, overall, compared to (say) the utterly broken EAFs and the "if it's not a saber, well, at least it can use bubbles, right?" dictors, so, lower priority.

Also, warp speed accel buff isn't "hardly anything". It's legitimately a meta-changing event. It used to be that different classes were (effectively) slower/faster in "normal space" alone. Now that they're legitimately faster in "warp space"? The differentiation between class sizes just about tripled or more. You now not only have mobility on the grid, but multi-system mobility. Raiders just became very, very raid-y. You can no longer used ABCs to raid with and be reasonably assured of their escape thanks to the fact that they align (on grid mobility) as fast as most cruisers and some frigates. By the same token, a wolfpack of AFs is going to be able to completely outrun anything besides interceptors.

It's brilliant.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

I guess I'm underestimating the magnitude of the warp-speed changes. If what you say is correct, then yes.

Having flown the AFs, though, quite extensively... you're not getting me into one of them that isn't the Hawk without quite a bit of work.
Omni.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:49 am UTC

Siphon deployable, awesome. Space Yurt, pretty cool.

Autotractor, cool, but what use is a noctis now?
Cyno Jammer, could be awesome, but not working vs covops makes me sad.

SoE cruiser looks awesome.

Rapid heavy missiles, yes please!

Interceptor buffs, yes please!

Warp speed changes, yes please!

Overall very happy.

Edit: oh, and I don't really care about certificates, but the new system being autoclaiming makes me happy. I only ever claimed certificates to make the stupid notification go away.

Return to “Gaming”