EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

BlackSails

Re: EVE Online

Postby BlackSails » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Eve has some amazing stories. What's also fun (and sometimes frustrating) is how you can participate in something firsthand, know what actually happened, and watch as one good propaganda writer spins a story that's quite different than what actually occurred and suddenly that's what everyone believes, rather than the truth.

:eveisreal:

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

"I was there."

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

What I mean, is real life works the same way. History is written by the victor, etc, etc.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Yep. It's very true. And it makes sense. Most of the content in EVE is all player driven anyway, so it's reasonable to think that that would be the most entertaining aspect of the game.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

EVE is basically 'play for 40 hours, there will be 15 minutes of pure awesome SOMEWHERE in there but you have no idea when'. So the stories are great, but the actual play can be quite mind numbing at times. I've been on countless fleets recently where absolutely nothing happened, and then suddenly a Titan is tackled and a huge fight breaks out out of nowhere. (Titan was saved btw)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:55 am UTC

That was a fun blapping of Goon dreads, I will say. I heard that the TEST titan was sniping at pods? Is that correct? #yolo

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

So in deeply disturbing news today, there is a japanese game show involving eve online.

They placed a contestant in a house, and feed her based on her isk generation in eve.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Rofl what.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Apparently she's already got a big bounty on her once the name leaked.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=247030&find=unread

Not sure if this is the correct place to post (Dev/ISD please move it to the correct forum if I am wrong)

Was browsing the Japanese Eve main page when I saw this post .( http://community2.eveonline.com/ja/communication/news/2month_evelife_01 , http://eveonline.nexon.co.jp/campaign/challenge.aspx )

Apparently Nexon, for promotional purposes for Eve Online has set up a audition for a reality series for the selected person to experience eve online for 2 months. Said Audition can be watched at http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv140532500 (if you have premium nicovideo account).

The Selected candidate was announced today to be Ms Kazuha Asaki. (http://ameblo.jp/asakikazuha/ blog is here for those interested.)

It will be broken into two segments .
From the 11th of June to 10th July she will be blogging on her escapades as a new player in eve on a blog (http://asakikazuha.blog.fc2.com/)

From the 11th July onwards, she will be placed in a house , then what she gets for food would be based on her performance in eve eg isk making. This will be livestreamed on Nicovideo and Stickam for 12 hours daily till the 11th of August.

=======

Name : Asaki Kazuha 浅木一華
Size : T162cm S22.5cm B80 W56 H80
DOB : 1st September 1986 (26)
Blood Type : O
Born in : Aomori Prefecture, Japan
Interests : Soft Tennis, Hurdles

Taken from the Japanese wiki page for her.

=======

:Japan:

Inevitably they picked a moderately hot model to do it too:

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:54 am UTC

So... I'm down 3 battleships and 2 bc's while PvEing in 2 days, not a good week!

I decided to try out an escalation on my own, a Fleet Staging Point... you know the one with the station that has those torpedos? Yeah, that one shot my drone assist oracle, but I figured my RR domis would tank it fine... not so. No big deal, -1 BC, -1 BS.

Since I need to buy a new drone assist boat anyways I decide to venture on back to fountain, I heard it's settled down up there and is good for ratting again. Well, there's lots of afk cloakers, but I eventually find a system that's empty. For some reason there are no hubs spawned, not sure why as our wiki says it has level 5 PDA, but whatever, I'll do a haven. Never done one with a shortrange naga before, so I'm focusing mostly on the site and not on local. A proteus uncloaks and points me. I did have 2 domis with my naga for about 2400 dps total, so I almost got him down, but he had cynod in enough support and logi to live and to kill my entire fleet. Shitty couple days. And all the loses easily preventable. I'm so terrible at this game. (Also I forgot to insure one of the domis, just to fuck up one last time)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

http://themittani.com/features/ashes-as ... ace-fights

I FCed almost every fight in that article, and I masterminded the ASH invasion. :D
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

... and promptly went from that to roaming in my kitchen sink fleet last night that netted us a typhoon and a myrm (at cost of a thrasher, some other frigate, and a jaguar, the last of which was someone deciding that a fleet member needed to be tackled, not the hostile firetail) before it even started... and then a harpy for a wolf, an incursus, a pod, and a rifter, though the pod was fully willing.

"If the tornado lands and you're in a small ship, jump" apparently doesn't come through... though at 330 AM I don't blame them.

edit - Retrospectively, fleet was a success. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, after all, and that's why we play EvE.
Omni.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Every time I read about WH fights I want to get involved in WHs! Maybe after the summer I'll look into it more, a little busy shooting goons right now.

Edit: So someone logged the wrong time on an ihub and it eventually led to this http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=18557880

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:07 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Every time I read about WH fights I want to get involved in WHs! Maybe after the summer I'll look into it more, a little busy shooting goons right now.

Edit: So someone logged the wrong time on an ihub and it eventually led to this http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=18557880
On a whim I checked that; my former assistant director lost a ship in that fight.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:43 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Every time I read about WH fights I want to get involved in WHs! Maybe after the summer I'll look into it more, a little busy shooting goons right now.

Do it, it's so worth it. I'd be happy to give you a reference into any of several WH corps. I'm afraid that a reference from me into the corp that did that would be something of a black mark. Several days after that I had a falling out with the CEO, drama, v. bad, etc.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:

On a whim I checked that; my former assistant director lost a ship in that fight.

I was there for the first part where we dropped Slowcats. It was fun for awhile until we were trying to get off the field. We were there for AGES it felt like. 10% tidi doesn't help I suppose. But I do always enjoy blapping goons and spoiling their parties.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure it was our party that got spoiled. I mean, we held the system, but we lost an ihub (the recon bro reported the wrong timer) and lost the ISK war by a factor of 2, and would have lost a lot more if CCP could tell the difference between a Z and a Q

On the plus side, every fire the goons set while PL/N3 were regaining S2N sov has been put out. Our timer board consists of a single green line, a tower, a nice change from 30+ defensive timers a couple days ago.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

When we first jumped in, we saved the I-hub in Z9P. What I-hub did you lose?

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

We lost the first ihub in Z9P, we saved the TCU at 70ish by killing the SBUs, and deployed a new ihub, which the goons then proceeded to assault, escalating to what happened.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

Ah right. So we saved the second I-hub then. So long as the system wasn't lost, I guess it was a victory. TEST doesn't tend to win the isk war much. You guys should probably stop fielding Nidhoggurs tbh:P Would help. 8-)

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

Don't look at me, I'm flying logi. But yeah, we're bad. Yay for N3/PL

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

So...

BL popped a Revenant belonging to PL. The rage is hilariously awe-inspiring - Grath is literally breaking his mike as I listen. Somewhere between 8k and 15k USD. A Revenant. Not the mention the other supers on field.

Here's an article. Souncloud is lower down on the page, embedded.

Also a great quote from the article -
That said, most EVE players know that simply logging in and leaving dock is risky and potentially costly. And there’s not a lot of point to having a ship that you can never fly. Where’s the fun in that? The only thing you can do is be as careful as possible and assess each situation to determine if it’s worth using the ship you’re thinking about taking. And… Not surprisingly. You’re not always going to be right.
Omni.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

Isn't the general consensus that the Revenant is a shit capital anyway?
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

Now? Yeah. Used to be worth something.. I think it had a longer jump range? I'm not sure.
Omni.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:41 am UTC

Used to have extra jump range, but they nerfed it, yeah. Not that it was like, amazing because of it. Just a little unique.

JEFFRAIDER bewing supercalm against Grath is the only amusing part. Grath really isn't that mad, imo.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

I got to listen to it live, and I'll admit I rather enjoyed it.

Mistakes were made and this will give us something fun to troll about for the next month or two ~

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Anyone in? I just dropped somewhere over 100m on eve-bet, even though I won't even be around to watch.. :\

http://community.eveonline.com/news/new ... published/

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

Im in :)

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

A lot of one-sided fights so far. But I guess that's to be expected in round 1.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Most of the fights so far have been cripple fights between two utterly awful setups

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

This one between Exiled Ones and Choke Points may be my favorite so far. The battleships are completely unable to kill each other thanks to local and remote reps, so it's their support frigates that are really deciding the fight.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Next week's fight between SSC and VOC should be p. epic.

I've missed all the fights today, too busy doing shit for my trip. What were the good ones to watch?

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

None of them

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

I've been out of the house for an hour or so, did I miss any good matches?
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:55 am UTC

The "War of the summer" is over, we've run on home to NOL. http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/1j ... undeploys/

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

I've looked at EVE before.
Every time I've looked at it, I've been tempted.

But a subscription just doesn't fit the way I play these games; a week of play, then two weeks off, sometimes months of total inactivity.
And I really struggle with grind.

Is the social aspect any good? That often helps keep me playing.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

The social aspect is really probably 80% of the game. The rest of it is shooting red plus signs on your screen, theorycrafting, forum warrioring, etc.

The passive skill training suits a semi-active style moreso than any other game. Even if you go away for two weeks, as long as you keep training, you won't fall behind.

I've been out of town every other weekend for virtually 3 months in a row. If this were WoW I'd have missed 6x 25-man and 6x 10-man weekend runs. In EVE, all I missed was some blob fights and some weekend fun deployments and some alliance tournament matches.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:22 am UTC

http://themittani.com/features/6vdt-cfc ... page=0%2C1

http://io9.com/5980387/how-the-battle-o ... me-history

The "Fountain War" From the aspect of CFC (Goons). I never played Eve and probably never will. The space aspect appeals to me, as well as the political aspect of Corps. However I dislike the cut-throat aspect of this game as well as the underhanded/asymmetrical warfare that most of the big corps had turned the game into. Now I'm older I could never sit in front of a computer for 10 hours straight gaming as well.

It just seems that in ever game where the powers are divided into two power groups, I would often joined the wrong side and often became the first causality in a losing battle. If I was to ever play Eve I would be the lowly miner that does what it takes to rake in the ISK, just to have my corp gets completely crushed, or have the corp kick me out once I've outlived my usefulness.

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:07 am UTC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23489293

Every time I see Eve mentioned in the non-gaming media, I'm tempted again :(

In theory, this is a game I could really love. The corporations, backstabbing and epic battles all sound fantastic, but every time I've signed up I've ended up quitting after a month, disappointed by the emptiness and lack of interaction with other players. I know this is mostly my own fault since there are obviously plenty of people out there, but aside from getting RL friends playing too I just could never bring myself to get fully immersed in the player interactions. Also, it really feels like you can't take advantage of everything this game has to offer without putting in an incredible amount of time - which I feel like I had to do to justify paying for the subscription, but didn't really want to.

That said, if there was a way to pilot small ships manually (i.e. with a joystick) for the times when you don't want to spin your ship in a station, I'd sign up again in a heartbeat. Screw the PhD and wife, I want to be a space pirate!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

EVE is a strange place.

Most other MMOs you have to be logged in to play the game. Thanks in no small part to the EVE api, you can do so much stuff via 3rd party websites (killboards, eve-central, dotlan, etc) and places like twitch.tv and IRC/skype/reddit/kugu that you can literally play the (meta) game and not even be online.

Essentially you can take most goals from your average MMO (get max level, get uber gear, raid end game content, pvp some) and invert it on its head. In EVE skill progression is passive, which means proper planning gives you a /slight/ advantage, but generally that's not the thing that sets people apart. What sets people apart is being skilled as a person at accomplishing something. Either through amassing wealth through the market (Jita trading), launching a cool 3rd party website that provides a service (Somer Blink), being a good FC and able to lead fleets, being a good spy/espionage dude. Stuff like that.

I actually started this game without any RL friends playing it. It was a lonely place until I managed to jump into a small nullsec pvp alliance. If you can find a good group of dudes who are willing to help you learn as you go, it can be quite enjoyable. Just be slow to trust people with your assets. Walk with a heavy dose of skepticism but remain open minded.

Return to “Gaming”