EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Alasseo

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

I'd suggest looking at Lead Farmers/Kill it with Fire. https://killalliance.co.uk/

FutureCorps/Sleeper Social Club are also good guys.

I can't directly vouch for the culture of either of these groups, but having worked with KILL and having fought SSC, they both made favorable impressions on me.

If you want to really push and try, go for AHARM, but be aware they are a very, very tight-knit group and it'll be harder to get in. That said, they're exactly what you're looking for in a group.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

Yeah, from what I've seen AHARM is pretty much what I'm looking for, but I'd imagine with my limited experience they wouldn't be much interested in me (just yet). I'll check out those other guys.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

http://pasteboard.co/19rRQzSa.png

Just going to leave this here :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:23 am UTC

So what is this for? Some kind of scam? Selling something?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:08 am UTC

I may or may not have just lost a 1.2B ship to faction police because I was alt tabbed on Reddit. I may or may not be terrible at this game.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:I may or may not have just lost a 1.2B ship to faction police because I was alt tabbed on Reddit. I may or may not be terrible at this game.

Did that with a loki years ago, though it wouldn't have been reddit.

But I'm for sure awful at eve.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

There's a reason I don't play EvE on my laptop that much. Certainly not for fleets.

It's not anything to do with *running* it - 1080p on max settings - but to do with actually playing it - I don't have a second monitor for web browsing (I swear, if my second monitor *could* burn in images, the chrome menu bar would be visible plain as day even when it was off)
Omni.

N3BULAV0ID

Postby N3BULAV0ID » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Is there in fact an XKCD corp? I know there's an XKCD chat channel, but it's barely used at all. It would be nice if at least a couple people frequented it once in a while.
If there isn't an XKCD corp, somebody better make one - I created this forums account just to ask this question.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:17 am UTC

spai!

There is no xkcd corp though, there's only about a dozen active players in this thread here and they had varying interests. Not really the best source of a corp.

mind404

Postby mind404 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

Hey guys, been playing Eve for about a year and been off the forums for about the same time so never dove in here. So whats them mix like here, hisec, lowsec, nullsec or WH?
Chainmaille, our best personal raptor defense wear

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:40 am UTC

I do a bit of everything. Currently doing some boring mission grinding to repair Amarr standings so I don't get shot in their space. Planning on going back into WHs once that's done, while some alts enjoy FW. No plans to return to Null unless I can find a competent alliance that isn't overtly racist, homophobic and ablest.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:16 am UTC

I do lowsec right now. FW/antipiracy, highsec wars (as defender or targeting people who are normally aggressors). I've done everything in Eve combat-wise besides sovwar, though.

mind404

Postby mind404 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:34 pm UTC

Sov wars can be pretty fun, as long as you have the time to wait for fleet form ups and the 10% tidi battles can be interesting, but dragggggg on. I've found FW to be rather conductive to my current half afk play style (irl, kid, time, multitasking during my Eve time). Currently training a carrier pilot while having a couple station traders for spending isk.
Chainmaille, our best personal raptor defense wear

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:54 pm UTC

Sov battles are fun just for the scale. Like, holy crap there are thousands of players shooting at each other right now.

The actual gameplay is mindbogglingly awful, taking an already nontwitchy game and slowing it way down. It's like playing battlechess on the NES where each move takes a minute. With drone assist it's now even worse, (or better, in that you can now pretty much fully AFK instead of semi afk). Which is a shame, because I think sentry drones are awesome.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

Nine titans down so far today. That exceeds the isk value of the losses at Asakai right there (if the guy in the link is correct about titan cost, I've never been clear on their exact worth), not counting other ships that have been destroyed.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

Up to 14-16 down so far.

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Nine titans down so far today. That exceeds the isk value of the losses at Asakai right there (if the guy in the link is correct about titan cost, I've never been clear on their exact worth), not counting other ships that have been destroyed.

the stream I'm watching (http://www.twitch.tv/nick_fuzzeh) claims 19 titans down for N3PL and 7 down for CFC/RUS. And it's still going, probably going to be the most isk lost in in one battle pretty easily.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

I'm too busy grinding real world money (that is to say, I'm at work) to watch the stream. Did they say how many people are involved? Will this beat Asakai for damage as well as numbers?

This is the first anniversary of Asakai, btw. Funny coincidence.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:13 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:I'm too busy grinding real world money (that is to say, I'm at work) to watch the stream. Did they say how many people are involved? Will this beat Asakai for damage as well as numbers?

This is the first anniversary of Asakai, btw. Funny coincidence.

Local seems to be holding at ~2500, not as big as other fights just shinier ships dying.

On that note 220b titan down.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:41 am UTC

60 Titans down now (40 PL/N3, 20 CFC/RUS). By far the most expensive battle in EVE history, eclipsing Uemon when 12 titans were killed. N3/PL trying to extract by ceasing DD and trying to kill hictors/dictors, titans just firing on dreads.

Raw number of ships never exceeded Asakai (which wasn't ever a record holder for that, or anything for that matter), but number of supers/titans is likely a record.

Will be interesting to see how this affects cap deployment in the coming weeks.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:27 pm UTC

Just fired up an EVE trial account as I'm not really sure I want to re-activate, and I'd want to have a second pilot if I did anyway as my first is pretty hard in to industrial and science. Also kinda want to try the hacking game.

Besides, EVE + The Wire = two screens of post-work bliss.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 pm UTC

FYI, hacking as I recall was basically just a probability based equivalent of mining. You target the thingy, run your codebreaker, and eventually, you open the thing.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:48 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:FYI, hacking as I recall was basically just a probability based equivalent of mining. You target the thingy, run your codebreaker, and eventually, you open the thing.

Nah they changed it to be a minigame thingy. Can't comment on whether it's any good or not though as I've never tried it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

Oh, neat! Did Salvaging or Archaeology or Mining change at all?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure the others didn't, but I know mining is the same as it ever was.

EDIT: Quick Google indicates that Archaeology got the same general change. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9HZJzxU8sw

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

Archaeology/salvage and hacking are now the same thing, if memory serves. Different loot type, same minigame. You just point an analyzer at it instead of a codebreaker. The Salvager high slot mod is now exclusively for salvaging wrecks, you don't use it when running sites.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:39 am UTC

That is correct, sir!

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:08 pm UTC

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/29/this- ... r-one-day/

So 75 Titans got blowed up.

Total value of over: $200,000 lost

Did anyone participate in the battle?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:50 am UTC

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev ... of-b-r5rb/

CCP wrote:The Economic Impact

11 TRILLION ISK.

According to some PLEX conversions that could equate to approximately $300,000-$330,000 USD.
Though if you buy PLEX in bulk they are just shy of $15 each, and at 660M ISK per, that's only 250k. Still outrageous

Either way, I stayed far far away from there, though chatted quite a bit in streams and on reddit. The epicness of the whole thing is amazing, the gameplay, not so much. Good on them for slugging it out, but I would never want to spend 21 hours just to fire a single module 12 times.

I do like this stat
CCP wrote:Approximately 775 doomsdays were fired, which is about 24% of all the doomsdays fired in the last two years inclusive. The Battle for HED-GP, which preceeded this one in the Halloween War, had about 200 doomsdays.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:07 pm UTC

Chribba posted some numbers on Reddit, though the full dev blog Mike linked is really interesting and worth a read.

B-R5RB BY THE NUMBERS

· Around 21 hours of total fighting

· 7,548 unique characters belonging to those two coalitions participated in the overall battle (i.e. landed on at least one killmail). 6,058 participated directly in the B-R5RB system with 2,670 in system at max

· 717 unique player Corporations

· 55 unique player Alliances

The butcher’s bill by the end of the fight was staggering:

Totals destroyed:

· Titans – 75 (74 in system, one on its way to the fight) N3/PL lost 59 titans and CFC/DTF lost 16 titans

· Titan losses by type: Gallente Erebus – 37, Amarr Avatar – 25, Minmatar Ragnarok – 13, Caldari Leviathan - 0

· Supercarriers – 13 (12 in system, one as it tried to escape the system)

· Dreadnaughts – 370 (356 in system, 14 in connected skirmishes as both sides attempted to stop the other from bringing reinforcements)

· Carriers – 123 (109 in system, 14 in connected skirmishes as both sides attempted to stop the other from bringing reinforcements)

· And lots more smaller ships and probably a bajilion drones and fighters

In comparison, the previous record for largest single battle Titan losses was a tie between battles in “O2O” and “Uemon”, with 12 total Titans destroyed in each.

Approximately 775 doomsdays were fired, which is about 24% of all the doomsdays fired in the last two years inclusive. The Battle for HED-GP, which preceeded this one in the Halloween War, had about 200 doomsdays.

The Economic Impact

11 TRILLION ISK.

According to some PLEX conversions that could equate to approximately $300,000-$330,000 USD.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:23 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:Good on them for slugging it out, but I would never want to spend 21 hours just to fire a single module 12 times.
It's funny because while I think EVE shines over any other game with it's ability to put up massive fleet battles, EVE fails to make those battles particularly interesting.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:26 pm UTC

They're really interesting to read about, just not fun to participate in.

Or so I'm told, the largest battle I've ever been in had about 100 on each side. But it WOULD be nice if large fleet fights weren't just "target primary, shoot until dead, target next primary".
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:43 am UTC

Yeah. The homogeneity of the experience, coupled with TiDi, makes it very boring for me (never done a supercap fight, but been in a number of BS slugfests in 10% TiDi)

One thing I learned the other day that shocked me, is the drone code has each drone regularly work through the entire target list, all done server side. Seems like a very easy place to remove server load, eg having the clients do it instead, or better, rework it to only look at the last N people that have shot the owner plus those the owner /assignee is targeting.

I heard that CFC ordered all it's domi pilots to abandon/scoop all drones to help server load.

One of the most surprising things about the battle to me is that the unreinforced node held up the whole time

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:26 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
One thing I learned the other day that shocked me, is the drone code has each drone regularly work through the entire target list, all done server side. Seems like a very easy place to remove server load, eg having the clients do it instead, or better, rework it to only look at the last N people that have shot the owner plus those the owner /assignee is targeting.

Or just remove auto-drone aggression in tidi.

I think a lot of server load could be reduced by off-loading stuff to the clients, and then reducing the load on the server from "check all X" to "verify client's choice of X is valid"

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

Indeed. While I'm sure the problems are complicated, the dev blogs I've read always leave me pretty disappointed in CCPs code when it comes to server load. (And then I hop on reddit and see all the people fainting over CCPs brilliant code, ugh. The last instance was the devblog on node balancing where they implemented basically a shortest split algorithm, which is decades old. Reddit went nuts over their ingenuity.)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:19 pm UTC

I sub to a number of different gaming subreddits, and have yet to be impressed with any of them.

In fact I've yet to really be impressed by any subreddit aside from askscience.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:55 pm UTC

Re-upped my old account. . .turned out my character has 8mil SP, though it's almost all industry (Mechanics, CPU Management, Power Grid Management are at 5, though, which is kinda exciting) and I'm halfway through Mining Barge 5. And I have another character just shy of 1mil who, despite being Caldari, has Gunnery and Small Hybrid Turret at 5. . .but basically no Spaceship Command. Pretty sure that's a holdover from the old character creation system where you start with exciting things.

Also finally ran in to someone IRL who plays EVE, which is mostly what prompted me to start playing again.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:Re-upped my old account. . .turned out my character has 8mil SP, though it's almost all industry (Mechanics, CPU Management, Power Grid Management are at 5, though, which is kinda exciting) and I'm halfway through Mining Barge 5. And I have another character just shy of 1mil who, despite being Caldari, has Gunnery and Small Hybrid Turret at 5. . .but basically no Spaceship Command. Pretty sure that's a holdover from the old character creation system where you start with exciting things..

You might be able to sell the 8M sp char (depending on its exact skills), and buy a pvp skilled pilot

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:35 pm UTC

I have been in a large number of those tidi situations and honestly it's the dumbest thing I've ever been involved in. It's a big reason I don't play anymore either. Most of my alliance's engagements are big tidi slugfests and I just see it as a waste of time. Tidi fixed the infinite cycling and black screening that was commonplace back then but it did so by turning a normal 2-3 hr battle into a 12+ hour marathon of playing another game on a 2nd monitor. It's rather unfortunate that they don't address this in some other way.

The worst part, hands down, is when the enemy runs without fighting and you're stuck in tidi for several hours doing nothing but wasting a perfectly good Saturday afternoon. And paying for it. Every time I want to play again I remind myself of this. Love the game but until they replace tidi it seems impractical for me to return.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:21 pm UTC

Turns out I'm both bad at reading and that character was only 5mil SP. Those two things might be related.

Got the Industry character in to a 0.0 corp, and have a second account training up. Going to (try to) do Faction Warfare tonight, that seems kinda cool. Or at least a good intro to PVP. Especially since you can go to restricted areas that only allow t1 frigates and destroyers.

Return to “Gaming”