EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Quadropus
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Quadropus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

I was attempting to war out of there, though I timed it just too l ate and got nailed just as I started warping.


But, I have a new ship, equipped with some fine modules that I went all over the bloody place to collect as i needed to save as much ISK as possible...

Worth it though. I saved a lot...
Image

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Don't stress the early losses. They suck, but as you figure out the game and build up your skills, you'll start making money hand over fist. I've probably lost close to 3bil worth in ships over the 2 years I've played. Just don't stress it. It all comes back.

Download EVEmon so you can get a head on which direction your going with things.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

how did you only manage to lose 3b in 2 years? I go through 3b in 3 months, easy.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

I got paranoid :) Don't really pvp that much, don't fly capitals... Although since hopping in HACs and Recons, my ship expenses shot up.

<---two weeks from hopping in an Eos, 10 days from an Astarte. Yowza. (stop nerfing my race CCP!)

What are you doing to lose 3bil every 3 months?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:24 am UTC

Well, I don't do it anymore, but I did for about 6 months. I'm probably down to 1b over 3 months now. As to how, I fly exclusively t2 kit ships, and the only t1 hull I fly is a rupture. I also don't fly my ships as if I my rl life depends on them staying alive. I'm the crazy guy who chases down nanophoons (back when they were uber) in ruptures, or vagas in ruptures nowadays. Or solos ishtars in muninns. Or stealth bombers in claws, etc, etc. I die plenty (highest number of losses on kb) but I get ships that the gang would have never gotten otherwise, and I almost always have a blast doing it, which people forget is the important part..
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Lumpy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:40 am UTC

I'm juggling World of Warcraft with EVE Online's free trial, and so far EVE Online has a lot of just watching your space ship fly around. At least in games where you travel on foot, you have some scenery in place of the vast void of space. I'm traveling around looking for asteroids that carry ore other than Veldspar, Plagiocase, or Scor-something, so I can finish the last part of the Mountain out of a Molehill chain. I'll find it eventually, I guess.

Dark Shikari
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:03 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Dark Shikari » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Lumpy wrote:I'm juggling World of Warcraft with EVE Online's free trial, and so far EVE Online has a lot of just watching your space ship fly around. At least in games where you travel on foot, you have some scenery in place of the vast void of space. I'm traveling around looking for asteroids that carry ore other than Veldspar, Plagiocase, or Scor-something, so I can finish the last part of the Mountain out of a Molehill chain. I'll find it eventually, I guess.

Google for the ore map--it shows what sec levels in what empires have what ores.

Also, you will find me in-game under this name (though I'm not online that much these days) flying a Nyx. Mmm, sexy green saucer.

User avatar
Coin
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:21 pm UTC
Location: Uppsala
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Coin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:10 am UTC

Heh, this thread actually made my reactivate my account after my previous post a couple of pages back.
I've now joined the 0.0 corp that my old corpmates are in and am having a great time =)

Character is Colonel Pence
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

User avatar
mazzilliu
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby mazzilliu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:56 am UTC

it's good to know that xkcd has eve players as well :]

I'm a member of the pirate corp sniggerdly of pandemic legion, recently i restarted our recruitment corp Sniggwaffe to get more newbies in the game and into our corp. if you want to join, our office is in Alperaute bottom station. if you want a 14 day free trial, PM me an email address and i can send you one. we have guides and members who are ready to help newbies become bloodthirsty pirates :mrgreen:

I've played eve for over a year and i still play it a lot, its a really great game in that it is open to so many possibilities. there's not really a 'script' for you to follow, so to speak, unlike other MMO's, you can set your own goals in the game and so often your success depends on your ability to compete against other human beings, and work together with them. the pvp element on so many different levels is what really sets eve apart from all other MMOs that exist on the market now.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:58 am UTC

Whoa, Mazz, I used to run with ARDU. They still with you guys?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
mazzilliu
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby mazzilliu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Whoa, Mazz, I used to run with ARDU. They still with you guys?

they left recently because they couldn't operate in 0.0 and decided to stay in empire

it was on good terms though, and a number of our members are friends with old-timey ARDU people :)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Gadren
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Gadren » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:40 am UTC

Lumpy wrote:I'm traveling around looking for asteroids that carry ore other than Veldspar, Plagiocase, or Scor-something, so I can finish the last part of the Mountain out of a Molehill chain. I'll find it eventually, I guess.


I found it easier just to buy those rare ores for that part of the tutorial.

User avatar
Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Lumpy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:56 am UTC

I got through with Mountain out of a Molehill and suddenly I was without direction. I did the tutorial quests from an agent at the same station as the one that handed out that mission, and they were repeats of the ones from the very beginning. Then I looked in bookmarks for agents I met during my courier quest in the tutorial. I elected to take a Level I 0 quality agent's quest, involving going to a rendezvous point where space terrorists were expected to meet. It mentioned that I should be able to pick them off one by one if I do it quickly.

I warped there and found an acceleration gateway, which Show Info suggested was like a stargate, but within a system, meant for quick travel. I took this to mean this would be their path to warp here for their meeting. Eventually I realized that I was supposed to activate the acceleration gateway to warp to their meeting myself, and over 10 pirates awaited me, many within mere kilometers from each other. I approached the nearest one and was luckily able to warp my Navitas out of there.

Rookie chat channel, where I have been playing whack-a-mole with spammers just to see the comments, said my ship wasn't good enough. I had figured that surely the ship they give you right at the end of the tutorial set of missions should be good enough, but I suppose not. The ships around my skill level, II, had at most twice as much structural, armor, and shield integrity of Navitas---nowhere near enough to withstand the pirate attack. As well, a few were over my credit limit. I was, however, able to buy a weapon with ammunition that would allow me to fire at will from 5 kilometers rather than 500 meters, with much more damage, too. In order to get a decent ship, I'd be training for days. Blegh.

Someone offered to help with my mission, and we formed a fleet, but right after we got to the acceleration gate, my laptop's power went out. The power cord had quit working altogether. Now I can't use my laptop at all. I had just clicked "activate," so now my ship and my expensive new weapon is probably pirate chow. I decided this game stinks and I'm going back to World of Warcraft. I wouldn't play this crap if I could do so for free. Adding to my frustration was post-patch trauma where I couldn't log in (they patched two days in a row to rectify), but what else should I have expected from the makers of a game that once sent out a patch that bricks the system?

I tried to tolerate the tutorial, thinking that once I get past the information-heavy part, things will pick up, but unfortunately the game is so full of simple things they fail to explain---the acceleration gate, for instance. Someone else had asked whether he was supposed to activate the gate for his own quest within 10 minutes of my own inquiry. A good multiplayer online game, in my opinion, should not require one resorting to asking other players for guidance on user interface issues, and should certainly not have the user going to third-party website for information necessary to know what to do or increase efficiency (say, knowing where ore is distributed within every region) threefold. When help is required, your question is immediately drowned out by a gold spammer, prompting you to try right clicking the user's name to block, but they're spamming so fast their names fly down the page. Then my question is drowned out by other questions, so really I usually only get an attempt at an answer on the fifth or sixth try.

I mentioned that I needed help in the rookie chat, and a staffer said something about the difference between "want" and "need," and I said that I "need" help in order to play the game, and if your intention is to point out that the game itself is a "want," I should consider it an argument by the staff against playing it, and therefore informed them I'd do so. This is among the worst MMORPGs I've ever played---even Toontown and Furcadia were better.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

I'll answer this point-by-point.

Lumpy wrote:I got through with Mountain out of a Molehill and suddenly I was without direction. I did the tutorial quests from an agent at the same station as the one that handed out that mission, and they were repeats of the ones from the very beginning. Then I looked in bookmarks for agents I met during my courier quest in the tutorial. I elected to take a Level I 0 quality agent's quest, involving going to a rendezvous point where space terrorists were expected to meet. It mentioned that I should be able to pick them off one by one if I do it quickly.

I warped there and found an acceleration gateway, which Show Info suggested was like a stargate, but within a system, meant for quick travel. I took this to mean this would be their path to warp here for their meeting. Eventually I realized that I was supposed to activate the acceleration gateway to warp to their meeting myself, and over 10 pirates awaited me, many within mere kilometers from each other. I approached the nearest one and was luckily able to warp my Navitas out of there.


I don't know the mission, specifically, so the description might have been right, had you warped in there once you reached the acceleration gate. Just saying. Also, I'm curious why you presumed the pirates would come out of the acceleration gate. You showed info, but didn't notice the "warp" button on the gate?

Lumpy wrote:Rookie chat channel, where I have been playing whack-a-mole with spammers just to see the comments, said my ship wasn't good enough. I had figured that surely the ship they give you right at the end of the tutorial set of missions should be good enough, but I suppose not. The ships around my skill level, II, had at most twice as much structural, armor, and shield integrity of Navitas---nowhere near enough to withstand the pirate attack. As well, a few were over my credit limit. I was, however, able to buy a weapon with ammunition that would allow me to fire at will from 5 kilometers rather than 500 meters, with much more damage, too. In order to get a decent ship, I'd be training for days. Blegh.


Here's where I take issue with your description. First of all, when did people start getting ships from the tutorial? Was that implimented with the 800k sp characters? Second, you showed info on the accel gate but not your own ship? Here, I'll quote it for you.
Show Info/Description wrote:The Navitas is a solid mining vessel, in wide use by independent excavators. It is also one of the best ships available for budding traders or even scavengers. The long-range scanners and sturdy outer shell of the ship help to protect the ship from harassment.

Special Ability: 5% bonus to cargo capacity and 20% bonus to mining laser yield per level. -60% mining laser capacitor use
Doesn't look like a combat ship to me.

As to rookie chat and isk spammers, yes, it's a bit of an issue. Rookie chat's just worthless anyways because there are far too many people on there, use your corp chat, it's much better, 100% of the time. Isk spammers are harder to deal with, but they're all concentrated in public channels and jita/rens/ours, where real players spam your ass anyways. Hard to tell them apart some days.

Lumpy wrote:Someone offered to help with my mission, and we formed a fleet, but right after we got to the acceleration gate, my laptop's power went out. The power cord had quit working altogether. Now I can't use my laptop at all. I had just clicked "activate," so now my ship and my expensive new weapon is probably pirate chow. I decided this game stinks and I'm going back to World of Warcraft. I wouldn't play this crap if I could do so for free. Adding to my frustration was post-patch trauma where I couldn't log in (they patched two days in a row to rectify), but what else should I have expected from the makers of a game that once sent out a patch that bricks the system?


Now you're, what, blaming your laptop dying on eve? Are you serious? Then you complain that they broke your login, but also complain that they fixed it? Now you're just complaining for the hell of it. You next bring up the boot.ini patch, which never "bricked" a system, only, in a minority of systems, caused them to be unable to boot if certain qualifications were met.

Lumpy wrote:I tried to tolerate the tutorial, thinking that once I get past the information-heavy part, things will pick up, but unfortunately the game is so full of simple things they fail to explain---the acceleration gate, for instance. Someone else had asked whether he was supposed to activate the gate for his own quest within 10 minutes of my own inquiry. A good multiplayer online game, in my opinion, should not require one resorting to asking other players for guidance on user interface issues, and should certainly not have the user going to third-party website for information necessary to know what to do or increase efficiency (say, knowing where ore is distributed within every region) threefold. When help is required, your question is immediately drowned out by a gold spammer, prompting you to try right clicking the user's name to block, but they're spamming so fast their names fly down the page. Then my question is drowned out by other questions, so really I usually only get an attempt at an answer on the fifth or sixth try.


You can't explain everything in the tutorial, sorry. They tried, and it was something like 4 hours long...and it still didn't cover everything. Frankly, get used to it. Eve is complex. Next, you mention going to other players or third party sites, and you previously mentioned WoW. Now, from what I understand, it's hard to find a wow player who doesn't use third party mods on the UI itself, much less the billion and one third party quest/item sites that exist out there. Oh noes, ore distribution? Bet there's a WoW page for that.

Lumpy wrote:I mentioned that I needed help in the rookie chat, and a staffer said something about the difference between "want" and "need," and I said that I "need" help in order to play the game, and if your intention is to point out that the game itself is a "want," I should consider it an argument by the staff against playing it, and therefore informed them I'd do so. This is among the worst MMORPGs I've ever played---even Toontown and Furcadia were better.


I'm...not sure who the staffer was, but as with every other MMO in existence, the rookie helpers are volunteers. I'd petition him and get him kicked out, as he's not doing what he should be, obviously.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

*snicker*
Do you work for... THEM?

Seriously, you've exaggerated every issue (with MMO's, not even just EVE) and downplayed any sense of learning you could have had while participating in the trial. Why don't you click on the channels button to the left, and type in XKCD to join our little chat. Its not always full, but often theres someone on, who'll be at least as helpful as the rookie channel.

When in doubt, right click on something and goto INFO. I don't know how much simpler it gets.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Angstrom
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:14 pm UTC
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Angstrom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

So yeah, I think I need a corp.
Almost done with my learning skills to compromise for my abysmal perception/willpower, hoorah!

User avatar
mazzilliu
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby mazzilliu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

Angstrom wrote:So yeah, I think I need a corp.
Almost done with my learning skills to compromise for my abysmal perception/willpower, hoorah!

join sniggwaffe, apply at alperaute bottom station :mrgreen:

we have lots of guides on our forums as well as experienced members willing to help you with anything
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Don't join them, they're ransacking pirates!

Join Starbound enterprises, we have numerous methods in place for letting newbies make isk and blow stuff up, from POS management to blueprint access to tourney's.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
mazzilliu
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby mazzilliu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Don't join them, they're ransacking pirates!

Join Starbound enterprises, we have numerous methods in place for letting newbies make isk and blow stuff up, from POS management to blueprint access to tourney's.

psh tourneys, we came in second in the alliance tournament event last year :P

we have the logistics in place to keep newbies supplied with t1 items as quickly as they can get themselves blown up, and waffe doesn't get involved with buggy whiny P.O.S.ses(if you are new to eve, Player Owned Stations are like semi-permanent star bases that are in most situations not worth the trouble). members will have 0.0 access from our lowsec base as we frequently go to carebear homes in 0.0 and raid them, for the hell of it. after a certain period of learning and/or proving their worth, they graduate into sniggerdly and go straight into 0.0 and never look back. :mrgreen:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Angstrom
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:14 pm UTC
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Angstrom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

Well nuts, do I use my powers for good or for evil?

To be honest, piracy sounds quite tempting. And i've already decided my goal is a black-ops ship :wink:

Both are based in the US right?

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

I was just kidding actually, if you've got an offer to join snigg, head that way. They're solid pilots and good guys (i remember... I dunno, you could all be snertish noobs now, but I doubt it).

But they are pirates. Yar. If you've got moral compunctions about wrecking a bunch of innocent, helpless, ripe, industrialists, stay clear! Otherwise, burn the mother down.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
mazzilliu
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby mazzilliu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Angstrom wrote:Well nuts, do I use my powers for good or for evil?

To be honest, piracy sounds quite tempting. And i've already decided my goal is a black-ops ship :wink:

Both are based in the US right?

pvp is the best thing about eve online, pve is only good for funding your pvp efforts, if you aren't yet good enough to make money from pvp 8)

tbh, if you're into pve only i would play other games. eve is great because you get to be really evil and it's allowed :mrgreen:

Izawwlgood wrote:I was just kidding actually, if you've got an offer to join snigg, head that way. They're solid pilots and good guys (i remember... I dunno, you could all be snertish noobs now, but I doubt it).

But they are pirates. Yar. If you've got moral compunctions about wrecking a bunch of innocent, helpless, ripe, industrialists, stay clear! Otherwise, burn the mother down.

sniggerdly is one of the oldest pirate corps in the game. at the moment the corp created an alliance and a few other pvp corps have joined it, we are currently located in delve helping to fight bob, mostly because they got one of our top members banned for exposing their ties to developers. im not sure how much longer it will last, but considering bob are down to one region from 6 or 7(i forgot), it shouldn't be too long. when not exacting revenge on other people sniggerdly spends time pillaging whole alliances in 0.0 and taking occasional vacations to amamake to gatecamp. we are semi-nomadic and move between 0.0 regions every few months because we tend to ruin areas we live in. individual pilot skill and bloodthirstiness is encouraged the most in the corp.

sniggwaffe is the piracy training corp of sniggerdly. it is where newbies go to learn their EVE skills. even if you have low skillpoints, you can still play a crucial role in a fleet fight between higher skilled players. personal skill is what matters most, we are not too elitist to refuse willing newbies.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.
Posts: 1570
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:30 pm UTC
Location: Spaceship
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby hendusoone » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

What sort of time commitment does being a member of sniggerdly take?

I've been considering piracy for a while, but I don't want to leave empire quite yet. I'd like to get up into a heavy assault ship first. I'm pretty much there, I just need the heavy assault ships book and the money to pick one up. It shouldn't take too long, once I set myself to actually doing it.

I'm currently flying an Ishkur. Ideally, I'll be graduating to the Ishtar.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

User avatar
mazzilliu
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby mazzilliu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:What sort of time commitment does being a member of sniggerdly take?

I've been considering piracy for a while, but I don't want to leave empire quite yet. I'd like to get up into a heavy assault ship first. I'm pretty much there, I just need the heavy assault ships book and the money to pick one up. It shouldn't take too long, once I set myself to actually doing it.

I'm currently flying an Ishkur. Ideally, I'll be graduating to the Ishtar.

the absolute minimum committment is logging in long enough for other members to recognize who you are, which isnt hard. we purge inactives sometimes but for those with limited playtime we understand that. fleet ops may take an hour or two. we don't punish people for having lives. pvp activities happen all throughout the day and all regular members are encouraged to initiate them. getting kicked out of sniggerdly is pretty hard compared to other corps unless you break one of our few rules.

high sec space really is less fun then 0.0 because theres so many limitations on what you can do and stupid game mechanics. as a newbie i would reccomend that you take cheap ships out to 0.0 immediately and fight and die often. saving up all your money to get a really cool ship is taking completely the wrong approach to the game. you will lose it and get upset and quit. getting ships and mods in eve is not at all like getting equips in other MMO's, because you will lose them so often. get used to losing and you will enjoy your victories much more.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Angstrom
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:14 pm UTC
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Angstrom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

Wrecking carebear industrialists...

Dark side it is, sign me up! :mrgreen:

I'm planning to get up to Industrial V and then immediately start work on the road to black ops (stopping off at Battlecruisers).
I second the question about time commitment though.

User avatar
Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Lumpy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

I don't know the mission, specifically, so the description might have been right, had you warped in there once you reached the acceleration gate. Just saying. Also, I'm curious why you presumed the pirates would come out of the acceleration gate. You showed info, but didn't notice the "warp" button on the gate?


I thought that would warp me to the place pirates were coming from deep in space, and that it was like a "back" button on an Internet browser for them.

Here's where I take issue with your description. First of all, when did people start getting ships from the tutorial? Was that implimented with the 800k sp characters?


You get it on a mission from the agent that the first agent you speak with recommends to you, as a quest reward. The actual NeoCom tutorial ends before this, but the people in Rookie Chat considered this part of the tutorial itself.

Now you're, what, blaming your laptop dying on eve? Are you serious? Then you complain that they broke your login, but also complain that they fixed it?


Sorry, I'm not blaming it on EVE. It just makes me realize that because of the harsher death penalties in EVE, if your Internet connection or power goes out during a dangerous situation, you don't get a minor penalty like other games give. I didn't intend to imply I thought EVE make my laptop quit working by mentioning the faulty patch. I don't blame them for fixing it, either.

Doesn't look like a combat ship to me.


It isn't, and I was just noting the best combat frigate I was able to pilot had similar resistance statistics as the Navitas, but roughly twice as much structural integrity, armor, and shielding. I assumed, therefore, that if I bought one and warped to the mission encounter, nothing would change but dying in twice the time.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

What do you sniggardly guys do for your industrial needs? I assume you have a few industrial side corps? I remember ARDU joined about 2 years ago under the auspices of being part of that arm, but didn't do a whole lot.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
mazzilliu
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby mazzilliu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What do you sniggardly guys do for your industrial needs? I assume you have a few industrial side corps? I remember ARDU joined about 2 years ago under the auspices of being part of that arm, but didn't do a whole lot.

ARDU was supposed to mine for us because we don't like mining. right now we jump up tech2 ships and mods with carriers, and ratters reprocess loot in our stations, we buy their minerals and do manufacturing. its all done internally, as having a separate corp is inefficient.

time committment to eve can be as much or as little as you want. you gain skills even when logged off so what you do when you are logged on is your choice. also a lot of people dont get that eve is not about constant forward progression like most other games are. some days you may win, but other days you will lose, and sometimes these losses will be devastating. but the upside is that you have a choice as to how much you want to risk, and not being stupid goes a long way to avoiding loss.

some people don't like the lack of a singular goal to work towards, but i think that's my favorite part of the game, i can set my own goals and they can be as evil as i want within this game. ive engaged in some pretty underhanded stuff while playing eve and its fun as hell and not a bannable offense. one time i took advantage of a poorly formatted market feature and scammed random idiots out of 4 billion isk worth of stuff in a week. another time i joined an enemy corp on an alt and relayed their every movement to my friends while they beat the shit out of them and i would post teamspeak recordings of the enemy's frustration. i would use my hosted images planted on various enemy forums to help gather IP addresses to root out those same spies from our corp. right now it is a fad within my corp to bring suicide bomber ships and kill people in high security space carrying very high value loot in small ships. currently my goal is to write useful tools to take advantage of the new EVE API data export feature for use on our forums, and teach myself programming in the process.
Last edited by mazzilliu on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:Sorry, I'm not blaming it on EVE. It just makes me realize that because of the harsher death penalties in EVE, if your Internet connection or power goes out during a dangerous situation, you don't get a minor penalty like other games give. I didn't intend to imply I thought EVE make my laptop quit working by mentioning the faulty patch. I don't blame them for fixing it, either.


And if your power goes out during a War3 match, you lose ranking. It's unfortunate, sure, and you occasionally lose power or net and get smacked for it in Eve, but in return rewards are greater, and you shouldn't be flying something you can't afford to lose, anyways.

Lumpy wrote:It isn't, and I was just noting the best combat frigate I was able to pilot had similar resistance statistics as the Navitas, but roughly twice as much structural integrity, armor, and shielding. I assumed, therefore, that if I bought one and warped to the mission encounter, nothing would change but dying in twice the time.


Check out the other frigates, cruisers, battle cruisers, destroyers, and battleships available. They all have the same resistances. Only with tech2 can you get higher innate resistance. Equipment is there for a reason. Next, look at the bonuses. You'd be looking at..what, an Atron? (not familiar with t1 gal frigs). Not exactly what I'd call frightening in terms of combat power, but it's going to have a bonus to speed and/or gun power, most likely. That increases your combat effectiveness, and having 2x hp means you have more than 2x the hp, even with the same resistances. Drop a resistance mod and a armor repper, and you've got way, way more than 2x the hp.

See, the thing is, in Eve, you can go out, conceivably, on what in your terms is an endgame raid in all of 3 days, and make a meaningful contribution, with the right starting stats. Couple weeks, tops, with the "wrong" skills. That's what, for instance, Snigwaffe does, and I've fought them and they're good at it. There's several other corps that do the same thing. Agony has people PAY them to let them join for a little while and learn pvp. This means, however, that you can't just fly out of the newb station and run level 1s. It takes a little work, but, and remember this, is by absolutely no means anywhere near impossible. Join XKCD channel, join Snigwaffe, register a SA account and go join goons, if you want. Join Eve University. But remember, Eve is a Massively Multiplayer game. It can be done solo, but it is intentionally hard to do so. If you don't think that you should HAVE to work with other people, be prepared to do LOTS of work...or go back to WoW, you're not fun to play with.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
Durinthal
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:46 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: EVE Online

Postby Durinthal » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I'm tempted to resubscribe and join one of the corps mentioned here, though that wouldn't be until April at the earliest. I think my character had about 10m SP (only have one XML file from several months before I quit that had just under 7m), a Caldari specialized in shield-tanked Minmatar AFs and BCs.

I never left my noob corp or did any PvP, though, so I'd have to get some training to get up to speed.

Angstrom
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:14 pm UTC
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Angstrom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

mazzilliu
That sounds like my kind of fun. I'll join up tonight =D

User avatar
Phen
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:50 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: EVE Online

Postby Phen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

Damnit, now I find myself downloading the free trial again...

I've never understood why the game is said to be so hard to learn to play. I've always found the tutorial helpful enough - and I've tried it a couple of times, as I've went back to the game at 1 year intervals, if only for the free trial before I lost the interest/time to play.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

User avatar
mazzilliu
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby mazzilliu » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Phen wrote:Damnit, now I find myself downloading the free trial again...

I've never understood why the game is said to be so hard to learn to play. I've always found the tutorial helpful enough - and I've tried it a couple of times, as I've went back to the game at 1 year intervals, if only for the free trial before I lost the interest/time to play.

my suggestion would be to get a real human being to help you after the tutorials :mrgreen:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
Phen
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:50 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: EVE Online

Postby Phen » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Why so? I said I didn't have any difficulties with learning the game.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:41 am UTC

Plenty is explained in game if you look hard, but there are some things which you need to talk to other people about or spend lots of time figuring out on your own. CCP is less than totally consistent on how they apply percentages.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
Cryopyre
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:00 am UTC
Location: A desert

Re: EVE Online

Postby Cryopyre » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:17 am UTC

I'm a real fan of the space games, so I have a few questions and then I might try it over break.

Can you land on planets?
What's the deal with your fleets, if they all get destroyed do you make a new account?
What is the game about? Just a basic overview of who you play in EVE, or do you choose.

I guess that's all, this looks fun but I'm afraid mis amigos will kill me if they find out I'm playing an MMO that isn't WoW.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

User avatar
Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Lumpy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:27 am UTC

You can't land on or mine planets or moons. You can't land on asteroids, but you can mine them. You can't travel on foot. You can dock your ship at a space station orbiting a moon for repairs, installation of equipment, and the purchasing items and insurance. It doesn't seem to have story lines...kind of just killing pirates and watching your space ship fly about.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:47 am UTC

You have no fleets, only individual ships. If you lose a ship, you buy a new one. There's always (if you really screw up) your rookie ship to fall back on and start over (at least money-wise).

The game's whatever you please. If you like storylines, there are some solid Amarr and Minmatar RPing groups, and I have contacts in both. (death to Amarrian slavers!). If spreadsheets excite you, manufacturing is there to provide ships for the rest of us to blow up. :) Otherwise there's 0.0 or merc (read: pirate) excitement blowing other people up. If you're hardcore you can get into the 0.0 politics and influence the pretty colors on the sov maps. Basically it's anything you want it to be, but you get out what you put in.

Grab the trial, join the XKCD channel and we can answer more specific questions. :)
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
mazzilliu
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 am UTC
Location: your mom
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby mazzilliu » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Cryopyre wrote:I'm a real fan of the space games, so I have a few questions and then I might try it over break.

Can you land on planets?
What's the deal with your fleets, if they all get destroyed do you make a new account?
What is the game about? Just a basic overview of who you play in EVE, or do you choose.

I guess that's all, this looks fun but I'm afraid mis amigos will kill me if they find out I'm playing an MMO that isn't WoW.

in eve, barring all storyline fluff, you are essentially a single spaceship. fleets are collections of players, doing a raid, only on another group of players. if your ship dies you're left in a pod to run back and get another ship, if your pod dies you have to pay for a new clone and get a new ship. if you dont pay for a clone you lose skillpoints next time you die. what character you choose does not have a big influence on your play, the attributes can be fine tuned to fit a specific planned skill tree however all it does is effect how long different skills train.

eve was inspired by that old game elite, if this helps
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
Cryopyre
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:00 am UTC
Location: A desert

Re: EVE Online

Postby Cryopyre » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:57 am UTC

What is space like? It looks really cool from teh screenies.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests