Fallout 3!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Irrefutable

Fallout 3!

Postby Irrefutable » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:59 am UTC

After doing a quick search on these here forums i could find no mention of the planed release. This all wildly assuming anyone cares and that im not the only one who has been playing the Fallout games on and off for 2 years.

It was announced a while back and is under the control of Bathesda (If it turns into Oblivion with guns i will screem :)) It was origonally being made by Troika but they ran out of cash. It was going to just be an imensly suped up Fallout game with top down view point etc. However under Bathesda it is now a first person jobby (Still turned based with aiming at different parts of the body etc though).

There was a beafy PC Gamer article about it a while back but heres the teaser: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ooj0byvBkyQ
And heres the interview with some annoying Bathedsa rep about it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=K1dh_y6xPMY&feature=related

Anyone else following this avidly as me? Anyone else have misgivings about the Oblivion team being behind it?
One day something wity and original will appear here

FoS

Re: Fallout 3!

Postby FoS » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

I'm a hard core Fallout fan and I'm eagerly awaiting this but I will admit I'm not too sure about the Oblivion engine.
That being said, Bethesda have admitted that they're all a big bunch of Fallout fanboys and they've made some damn good calls so far.

SPECIAL will still be used. (Can you say Oblivion Graphics + Bloody Mess :D I know I can)
Ron Perlman is still narrating.
The music in the teaser was originally slated for use in Fallout 1 but got canned.
Pipboy (need I say more)

I'm a lot more optimistic then I initially was so now all that's left is the nail biting until release.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Lucien

Postby Lucien » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

Rumor (amazon) has it that it's slated for september 2008.

I'm looking forward to it. While bethesda may not live up to the original expectations, I have faith. Bethesda *is* a quality game company, and fallout is a quality franchise.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:09 pm UTC

I'm looking forward to it. I like the setting but my attempts to play Fallout recently (having never played it when it came out) haven't ended well; I just can't stand old RPGs that don't fill me with enough nostalgia to circumvent the bad gameplay.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

Lucien wrote:I'm looking forward to it. While bethesda may not live up to the original expectations, I have faith. Bethesda *is* a quality game company after they've patched their games a couple of times, and fallout is a quality franchise.

Hey, I love the Elder Scrolls series as much as the next guy, if not more... but.. yeah, they've got a habit of releasing games before they're really quite ready to go out the door.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

Just skip to fallout 2 then, although the gameplay is still old it's not "as bad"

I will be very happy to play fallout 3 when it comes out, but I try to not anticipate any games, I like to get all my entertainment a few months late when I can be sure it's not a disaster or anything.

First person turn based...?!? Is this a new genera or am I misunderstanding?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:06 pm UTC

First person turn based...?!? Is this a new genera or am I misunderstanding?
My understanding is that it's real-time, but with so much support for pausing and aiming and such that it plays like it's turn-based (if you want it to).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

I was talking to a couple guys working on this and asked them if they could release it fully completed unlike everything Bethesda has ever released before. I don't want to deal with game-breaking bugs out of the box. Also, if it is Oblivion with guns I will scream because I don't want to spend hours walking through empty wilderness killing deer with guns. Honestly, I really worry about this game because Bethesda hasn't shown me anything that says they'll get the Fallout world and its sense of humor.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

Well.. not like the last offering with Fallout slapped on it was that great.

Maybe it'll be cool.. maybe not. Time to wait.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

FoS wrote:...but I will admit I'm not too sure about the Oblivion engine.

Incorrect, as far as video evidence suggests. Yes, it is being done by Bethesda, but no, it will not be using the same engine as Oblivion. Just because a game company has a good franchise does not mean that said franchise dictates the style of all of their future games. I could be wrong and I may be viewing outdated footage, but a YouTube search for Fallout 3 gameplay shows a very similar interface and engine to previous Fallout games, albeit with a major graphical upgrade.

If it follows the vein of older Fallout, I'm excited to check out this new installment. My only concern, really, is that they get the humor down :roll:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

Erm.. yeah, it's the same engine as Oblivion.

A good engine is a versatile thing, letting you range from a turn based isometric game to a twitch FPS.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

rxninja wrote:a YouTube search for Fallout 3 gameplay shows a very similar interface and engine to previous Fallout games, albeit with a major graphical upgrade.

All those clips are from when Fallout 3 wasnt under Bathedsa as far as i can tell. Misleading i know but Fallout 3 is to be a very different beast to its predecesors
One day something wity and original will appear here

Hephesus

Postby Hephesus » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:04 am UTC

I've been a Fallout fan since the days of the first game. I am excited about the game, but cautios as a rat that has been shocked one too many times by the electrified food pellet. I love Oblivion, but there are things about it I feel made it an inferior game to the likes of Fallout, Baldur's Gate, or even Mass Effect. I dislike the level scaling and the equiment issues it produces, but more importantly, I hate the lack of real interaction with the characters and the fact that you can be all things to all people. While the atmosphere in the game is good, it does not have that power and humor that made the Fallouts great.

Still, I am excitied about it. I honestly did not expect a third part to be made! :D

What I know so far is: It will be a first person game with the option to have a third person camera that you can place as you wish. It will use the oblivion engine. It will be real time, but with a V.A.T.S. option. This won't give you the option to change the game to turn based, but rather, it is an advaced targeting system that will allow you to use called shots in the classic Fallout style. If I understood the description correctly, it works as the biotic power system in Mass Effect does. You press the trigger, the game pauses and you choose your spot. When the selection is made, it shows you the result in real time.

As for the videos in You Tube, that is actually the Van Beauren Tech Demo. It is what Interplay has when the game was cancelled and the rights were sold. Having played it, I am not sure I am entirely unhappy with Van Beauren being cancelled. It looked like a game that needed to be released circa 2001, and that while it featured updated graphics, etc... did not try to inovate much on the game...

I can give you guys a like where you can download the original tech demo if you want.

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:31 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Erm.. yeah, it's the same engine as Oblivion.

A good engine is a versatile thing, letting you range from a turn based isometric game to a twitch FPS.

I stand adequately corrected. Some of the videos I saw had the Bethesda logo in them and others didn't, so I wasn't sure which were current and which were scrapped. In a hopeful bit, however, the interview in that link says that it'll be possible to zoom out to nearly the 2d isometric view, so that's awesome.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

FoS

Postby FoS » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:01 am UTC

rxninja wrote:

I stand adequately corrected. Some of the videos I saw had the Bethesda logo in them and others didn't, so I wasn't sure which were current and which were scrapped. In a hopeful bit, however, the interview in that link says that it'll be possible to zoom out to nearly the 2d isometric view, so that's awesome.

My concerns are not so much the engine as the port from 2D Iso to 3D First Person.

I haven't had a chance to checkout any of the gameplay vids on youtube yet so I'm not sure what to expect. (connnex issue from home and work proxy blocking FTL)

If you can play with a 3rd person view I'll be happy as a pig in excrement. IMO 3rd Person is the best RPG perspective.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Hephesus

Postby Hephesus » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:59 pm UTC

FoS wrote:
rxninja wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:If you can play with a 3rd person view I'll be happy as a pig in excrement. IMO 3rd Person is the best RPG perspective.

You are supposed to be able to change it, just like Oblivion. I just the animation and combat are refined a little so they are not as awkward as Oblivion.

claymore1981

Postby claymore1981 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

I love fallout, like most of you I have played it since the first one. But I SWEAR that if it has a requirement for DX10 I will set fire to MS and Bethesda.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

Only retarded companies require dx10. Most these days have dx10 features, but run in dx9.
To my knowledge there are only 2 dx10 only games. Even Crysis isn't dx10 exclusive.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

Hehehe.
Steve Butts.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

wakawakka

Postby wakawakka » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Hey! I want that link to the tech demo! (kind regards)

Nya

Postby Nya » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

I don't know if Bethesda will make it with capturing the whole Fallout feeling, but I'm totally satisfied from the available screen-shots.
Why, why, why! Because it's all logic and reason now. Science, progress, laws of hydraulics, laws of social dynamics, laws of this, that, and the other. No place for three-legged cyclops in the South Seas. No place for cucumber trees and oceans of wine.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:14 am UTC

I just played through Shivering Isles and I'm pretty confident that Bethesda can pull off the proper Fallout humor.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:34 am UTC

claymore1981 wrote:I love fallout, like most of you I have played it since the first one. But I SWEAR that if it has a requirement for DX10 I will set fire to MS and Bethesda.

I remember reading an official Beth comment on this and they said Vista will not be required, which should mean no DX10 either, but that was a long time ago. Way before the teaser trailer came out, so a lot could have changed and official comments don't real mean a lot anymore.

Looking at the teaser trailer it is very obvious it uses the same engine as Oblivion. I was reading about some of the improvements they made and they have adapted the random wilderness creator to make random debris in F3, which is pretty cool. I would this game to have some kind of random town/base/camp/cave generator where you just go in and go to town on dethclaws/mutants/humans/etc over and over again. The dungeons were without a doubt the coolest part of Oblivion and I hope they can recreate a similar level of enjoyment.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the dialogue system though. I heard it supposed to be like Oblivions, which is what ruined Oblivion for me, the random conversations people had were repetitive, but still kind of cool. If you didn't stand around and wait for hours on end inside a town it wasn't an issue. But the voice acting was terrible, all 3 people that did it should be ashamed of themselves.

A huge part of Fallout was your communication skills. Your choices were effected by your intelligence, and how well they worked (or didn't work) was based on your charisma. It was interesting being able to make characters that could think of the right thing to say, but couldn't say it properly and piss people off, as well as making characters that could grunt and point and get the red carpet treatment. Not to mention the overly vulgar options you always had and the fact that the entire game could be done with no combat, right down to the end boss where it was possible to convince him he was wrong and make him kill himself.

They have already said that the no combat option is not possible, I just can't wait to say "Rumours" to every person in town and then have them respond to me in 3 different voices. :(
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:58 am UTC

Of the website's FAQ, it says it'll work on xp and vista.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Given that people are dumping Vista in favor of XP left and right these days, I think that any company who is or was considering making their games Vista only are being forced to re-evaluate that position. I don't expect that to change for at least a couple of years, either. It is, however, not unrealistic to expect Fallout 3 to use DX10 features on machines that have DX10, like many games today.

Also, there's already a 3rd party project to provide DX10 support on XP, which has already had some success.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Marlowe

Postby Marlowe » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:24 am UTC

It won't be Fallout. Which is a shame, because I fucking love Fallout. If I had to choose between sacrificing my only child, or denying people Fallout, I'd kill my kid.
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Marlowe wrote:It won't be Fallout. Which is a shame, because I fucking love Fallout. If I had to choose between sacrificing my only child, or denying people Fallout, I'd kill my kid.

You seem to have missed the title, which is "Fallout 3." So, uh, it really is Fallout.

I mean, you haven't even seen videos of the game yet. Why are you just assuming it "won't be Fallout?"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Pandercolour wrote:
Marlowe wrote:It won't be Fallout. Which is a shame, because I fucking love Fallout. If I had to choose between sacrificing my only child, or denying people Fallout, I'd kill my kid.

You seem to have missed the title, which is "Fallout 3." So, uh, it really is Fallout.

I mean, you haven't even seen videos of the game yet. Why are you just assuming it "won't be Fallout?"

Did you play Fallout Tactics or Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel? Because those had Fallout in the title and were certainly NOT Fallout.

Hephesus

Postby Hephesus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Oh god... I guess it was too much to expect this topic didn't head this direction.

To add my 2 cents. It looks like the closest thing to Fallout since fallout 2... but I will reserve my judgement until, you know, I actually SEE something.

Also, Van Buren didn't look like it'd make a very intresting game.

Yes, there, I said it.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

Oh Noes! Bethesda is not Black Isle! Teyh cant posiblee mayk a fallout gaem 1111!!!!!111oneoneone.

Get over yourselves, have you even played a game by Bethesda recently? I think they'll do just fine. The Shivering Isles is basically Fallout only fantasy.

Go join NMA if you want to complain about how the Van Buren demo is the only 'real' fallout 3
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

I played Oblivion which was horribly boring and completely lacking in any semblence of a sense of humor. See also Morrowind. See also Daggerfall.

So no, I do not have high hopes for Bethesda's handling of Fallout.

Memo

Postby Memo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote: The Shivering Isles is basically Fallout only fantasy.

Yeah, I don't think so.

But anyway, the very little of Fallout 3 we've seen looks great. If/when media releases look like it'll suck, then you can say it'll be bad. 'Till then, no you can't. Because it doesn't.

Marlowe

Postby Marlowe » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

Memo wrote:Picture!

My worries in mspaint form.

I think the "Bethesda isn't Black Isle" point is actually very valid. What made Fallout(s) great was the atmosphere, the humour, and the dialogue.

Oblivion had these in short supply. Oblivion catered for the masses, and was a good (if generic) fantasty RPG, but it was very much combat oriented, and I felt the cities and their inhabitants lacked personality.

If Oblivion can correct this, kudos to them. But if they make "Oblivion with guns" it will hurt me.
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Marlowe wrote:
Memo wrote:Picture!

My worries in mspaint form.

I think the "Bethesda isn't Black Isle" point is actually very valid. What made Fallout(s) great was the atmosphere, the humour, and the dialogue.

Oblivion had these in short supply. Oblivion catered for the masses, and was a good (if generic) fantasty RPG, but it was very much combat oriented, and I felt the cities and their inhabitants lacked personality.

If Oblivion can correct this, kudos to them. But if they make "Oblivion with guns" it will hurt me.

Bethesda has made more than Oblivion, you know.

The concept art and screens so far have shown it is not Oblivion with guns.

Jesus Christ. I thought NMA was stuck in its own cesspool.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

Pandercolour wrote:Bethesda has made more than Oblivion, you know.

The concept art and screens so far have shown it is not Oblivion with guns.

Jesus Christ. I thought NMA was stuck in its own cesspool.

I can't pass judgement until I see the finished product. But as for bethesda's track record for games...
Their games.
Looks like they've been doing elderscrolls since 2001 (other than some sports games).

As I don't care about sports games (and really hope that fallout 3 won't be one), the apt comparison does seem to be toward Elder scrolls. Hopefully they can make a good game. I personally just didn't like the mechanics of the elder scrolls games. I'm not a big fan of the way they did combat, xp, spells, levelling, or a lot of things.

I hope they can do me proud, but I can't pass judgement until it's out. I'm just not getting my hopes up to be dashed on the rocks.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

It should be noted, the team that wrote the Dark brotherhood quests from oblivion are doing the writing for Fallout 3.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

what really get's my goat is that you played oblivion some, maybe all the way through the main questline, but Did you get Knights of the Nine or Shivering Isles? You played earlier TES games, but have you played Zero Critical or any of their Terminator games? My guess is probably not, Zero Critical and Shivering Isles especially have exactly the kind of style and atmosphere the Fallout Series is justifiably famous for, and Shivering Isles humor could have been written by the same team who wrote Fallout 1&2.

Interviews with the FO3 team has repeatedly shown that these people understand fallout, they played the game, they know we want Groin Shots and Bloody Mess in a gritty, tongue in cheek wasteland, that's what they want as well.

If you weren't looking at every FO3 related press release as further evidence that Bethesda wanted to ruin your childhood, you'd see that really, there isn't anyone else who could make this game.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:If you weren't looking at every FO3 related press release as further evidence that Bethesda wanted to ruin your childhood, you'd see that really, there isn't anyone else who could make this game.

Well, I'd imagine there would be. But I'm happy with Bethesda at the reigns. Reins. Rains? No. Whatever word is correct.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Or I could see that it's being made by a company who has not made a single game I've enjoyed and whose biggest titles are superficially similar to Fallout.

Return to “Gaming”