Fallout 3!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Darkscull

Re: Fallout 3!

Postby Darkscull » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:23 am UTC

I completely forgot about Gob mentioning a girl.

I really wish I'd done more on my good playthrough. I'm doing new things now on this evil playthrough and missing out on a lot of the depth.
I mean, only thing I knew about carol up until now was that some other ghoul wants me to kill her.
I haven't killed her yet, but I wasn't even gonna talk to her beforehand.

Man, being evil has affected the way I play the game more than I thought :(
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:35 am UTC

... Yeah, being evil pretty much sucks in this game. You miss out on a lot of stuff, it's less fulfilling, and it just doesn't fit properly with the "good guy" stuff you're forced to do all the time anyway.

Which is the case in every single game that has ever had a moral alignment. Reason #716 I'm really more of a linear game kind of guy.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:51 am UTC

Alignment works better in games without a clear story line. Fallout 3 is too linear for it to work.

Come to think of it, has there ever been a game that did alignment well?
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:53 am UTC

I haven't done a full evil playthrough, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but you don't even get to join the Enclave. Surely that would be the obvious. You do something for them, but you don't join them.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:57 pm UTC

Mzyxptlk wrote:Come to think of it, has there ever been a game that did alignment well?

Knights of the Old Republic. The story changes quite a bit depending on whether you're good or evil.
Plus its a brilliant game.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:14 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:... Yeah, being evil pretty much sucks in this game. You miss out on a lot of stuff, it's less fulfilling, and it just doesn't fit properly with the "good guy" stuff you're forced to do all the time anyway.

Yeah, the most evil you can be is a sort of chaotic neutral.

I do all the sidequests (or at least any new ones that I haven't done on other playthroughs), but in a bruteforce way, and then afterwards I normally kill the people involved.

That's still not very good, because I think I missed out on a few quests.

For example, I went to bigtown, and did the quest to go rescue the people from supermutants, I stuck around to kill the supermutants that attacked, and then slaughtered the population and cleared the place out.

Apparently there's another quest you can get form there though, that I didn't know about and now can't do.

Actually, I'd be thinking about possibly doing this, but I've now decided over the course of this post: I'm gonna rush through the main quest on this playthrough and then start a new one just playing normally.
With that one I'm going to discover everything and do every quest.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

Three Dog's talks are sometimes peculiar when you're evil.

"Seems the Scourge of the Wastelands from 101 has been at it again - when will this lunatic do us all a favor and go jump off a cliff, rather than inflicting MORE pain and misery on the world? But here's the latest atrocity... Seems that Bigtown was in some trouble and got helped out in a big way when 101 rescued some blah blah blah"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Darkscull wrote:Yeah, the most evil you can be is a sort of chaotic neutral.

I think the Fallout environment pretty much requires some kind of chaotic alignment, regardless of good/neutral/evil.

Darkscull wrote:With that one I'm going to discover everything and do every quest.

Impossible. But good luck. :)
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

Mzyxptlk wrote:
Darkscull wrote:Yeah, the most evil you can be is a sort of chaotic neutral.

I think the Fallout environment pretty much requires some kind of chaotic alignment, regardless of good/neutral/evil.

Too funny, that is exactly how I felt. No matter how good I tried to be I always seemed to find myself stealing. Kinda like the game gives you a Klepto perk for free. "Officer I have no idea how those nuka cola bottles got there.. or the buffout... damnit."

I'm extremely curious to see how the DLC will play out. I like that they are going for a new look, something pre-end of the world. Even if it's still barren.

Spoiler:
My favorite part of the main campaign is when you find your father in the VR world. Being able to see the world before the bombs was cool and added a nice counterpoint to the real world's aesthetic.

Hopefully we'll get a few more interesting things to fight out of the mix. I definitely liked seeing the Super Mutant's in full 3D glory but I was hoping to see something a bit new. Those crab things don't count, they just annoyed me. Supposedly they are also working on the animation? I vaguely recall reading that. I don't know if it would apply to human models or just the new content. It would nice if people flowed a bit more naturally but I suppose no super important in the grand scheme of things.
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

jerdak wrote:Too funny, that is exactly how I felt. No matter how good I tried to be I always seemed to find myself stealing. Kinda like the game gives you a Klepto perk for free. "Officer I have no idea how those nuka cola bottles got there.. or the buffout... damnit."

It pretty much only works if you consider taking dead people's property as not being stealing.

That way you can take the stuff of people you've killed, or the stuff that's laying around without being 'owned' by someone (the owner died in the war, or since).
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

That's been a consistent failure of both Oblivion and Fallout 3: when I kill somebody, all of their stuff should becomes unowned. All. Of. It. Inventory, house, bed, stuff IN their house, their horses, sheds, crates in the basement, ALL OF IT.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:That's been a consistent failure of both Oblivion and Fallout 3: when I kill somebody, all of their stuff should becomes unowned. All. Of. It. Inventory, house, bed, stuff IN their house, their horses, sheds, crates in the basement, ALL OF IT.

Actually, I don't think so.

You see, your (the character's) philosophy may be that you can take a dead persons belongings, but it's likely that, say, the people of megaton would disagree.

It isn't realistic that if you kill someone and no one sees, then no one will mind if you take their stuff.

Although it does seem a bit odd that you lose karma for taking something the person no longer needs, this version of karma apparently uses the letter of the law rather than the spirit (Although* I suppose if there was any chance of family inheriting stuff then it wouldn't be nice you taking it. Maybe karma is just slow on the uptake about the state of the world)

*I keep using that word, weird.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

I never said that people shouldn't mind - I said it should become unowned. Although in the Oblivion/Fallout 3 world, there is no difference between the two.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:21 am UTC

Anyone else enjoy trying to get their purchase through the Games For Windows Live crap? I like how I have to buy points in 500unit increments. What the hell am I going to do with 200 points?

More to the point though is that I honestly think I spent more time trying patching their shitty client than I did playing the DLC. You would think after years of gaming I'd learn not to trust the developer's estimation of completion time. Maybe close to 3 hours cause I spent some time dinking around?

Small edit as I had a question regarding the DLC:
Spoiler:
After the first of the DLC field missions there is a photographer outside of the main tent. Has anyone seen if the photo this guy takes shows up somewhere? I get that it is a simulation but I was thinking the VR system could spit something out and it wouldn't break continuity. Also would be a cool addition to the game. Too bad you can't pimp your house out with it. Kinda like U.S. Army Propoganda for those that beat the sim.
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:28 am UTC

yea, GFWL turned me off paying for this one, I'm currently seeking alternate means of acquiring the content.

Hopefully, they'll release a hard copy of all the DLC like they did for oblivion, then I wouldn't have to mess with downloading some useless software, buying useless points, and then trading some but not all of those points for an overpriced mod.

EDIT: Currently downloading this, hopefull G-11ey goodness will erase my annoyance with the overly complex money-for-points-for-content system.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 am UTC

On the other hand, it's nice getting stuff for free, by completing achiements.
Because phlogiston.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

Well, 3 hours later that's the end of the Alaska expansion and it felt like a really generic FPS the whole way through. Sure glad I didn't pay money for that, kinda neat to get a Gauss rifle though. Hopefully the Pitt and The brother hood expansions have more content, maybe I'll pay for those.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

I think my biggest complaint about the Anchorage expansion is that it is designed for characters focused on Small guns. My char is a melee/big guns/explosives char and I have to completely change my play style to fit within this simulation. I can understand them not being able to have weapons/support for everything, but come on.. How hard would it be to put in a flamer or minigun? Rocket launcher is nice, but there is not enough ammo laying around.

Plus I hate windows live. Why does it matter what the clock on my computer is? Why did that cause me not to be able to download the files? Why didn't the error message say "fix your clock" as opposed to Metadata Invalid?

I hope they ditch this content release and make it something more user friendly.

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:08 pm UTC

Im glad I have the Xbox version. It seems like there are a lot of problems with the Windows version. I thought the expansion was kinda neat but not that impressive. It was way to short for the ten bucks I paid. And they kept boasting of the winter graphics. It was just the wasteland painted white.
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

BMW787 wrote:Im glad I have the Xbox version. It seems like there are a lot of problems with the Windows version.

As far as I can tell, not more than the other versions. In any case, the console allows you to fix most of them (big town robot quest, anyone?). Good old player.moveto.

benbw

Postby benbw » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

Can the DLC work with Steam? I got GFWL but I can't find the DLC, which makes me think it doesn't know I have it installed.

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

benbw wrote:Can the DLC work with Steam? I got GFWL but I can't find the DLC, which makes me think it doesn't know I have it installed.

I heard that windows live has the exclusive rights, or somesuch.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

That's pretty lame. In retribution you should pirate it. I know I would.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

The DLC works just fine with the Steam version.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:That's pretty lame. In retribution you should pirate it. I know I would.
I normally don't pirate games, but forcing to to use the horribly broken GfWL is too much. Iff I feel guilty, maybe I'll send Bethesda a check for however much the expansion was worth to me.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:The DLC works just fine with the Steam version.

Er, guys.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:15 am UTC

Mzyxptlk wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:The DLC works just fine with the Steam version.
Er, guys.
"Er, guys" what?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:46 am UTC

benbw is having problems with the DLC on steam. phen (apparently incorrectly) said that the DLC was GFWL-exclusive, and wouldn't work on Steam. Several people then talked about pirating the DLC, ignoring the comment by AmnesiaSoft that the DLC works fine on Steam.

Thus the "er, guys" was to draw attention back to the apparently-skipped-over comment by AmnesiaSoft.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Actually, the problem he said was the Games for Windows - Live doesn't show anything available for Fallout 3. If I had to guess, I'd say the cause of the problem is a regional restriction. But I can't say for sure since I have no idea where benbw lives.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Eh, Steam just got all buggery on my XP install anyway, and I'm too lazy to install/transfer savegames over to 7.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

a_heavy_object

You know you've played to much fallout 3 when...

Postby a_heavy_object » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 am UTC

>you look at your arm when you wake up every morning and think 'whens it gonna be my tenth birthday'
>your first reaction to everything is to spin around and press R2 rapidly
>when a door is locked you try to lock pick it
>when your locked out of a computer you try to hack by going into bios
>you scrounge every "openable" object you can find for "chems" and ammo
new PETA ban record 8 minutes 23 seconds
art is a way to express anger
Raphael's hair is god tier

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: You know you've played to much fallout 3 when...

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

R2?
Is that anywhere near F6?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

Maybe closer to V?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

I was making a generic keyboard joke. If R2 does activate VATS, then.. yeah, that'd be V. For all I know, R2 is reload or draw your weapon. Or some crazy PS3 (I assume Playstation) button that spins you around three times and fire wildly while doing so.

benbw

Postby benbw » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

For the two weeks after my week of playing Fallout 3 all the time, I would always hit V whenever I saw people in FPS games.
Also:
>when you are surprised that you can't stuff all your medicine in your backpack
>when you try to look at the contents of your backpack with your watch
>when you justify killing and robbing sprees by donating small portions of the loot to crazy cults

benbw

Postby benbw » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

I live in the US, so region restrictions shouldn't be a problem. I have the game and GFWL installed, but I can't even find the DLC.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I was making a generic keyboard joke. If R2 does activate VATS, then.. yeah, that'd be V. For all I know, R2 is reload or draw your weapon. Or some crazy PS3 (I assume Playstation) button that spins you around three times and fire wildly while doing so.
Well yes, I thought you were joking about using keyboard quicksave or something (I forget which key that was, I know its an F-key) so I wanted to build upon the joke by suggesting V. Bah.

Anyway.

>When you have a strong urge to hand out bottled water to people on the streets.
>When you look at the map and keep tapping on landmarks to try to fast travel.
>When you talk to someone you get REALLY close to their faces.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

That seems rather odd, it shows up right on the front page of my GfWL Marketplace.
Spoiler:

I'd imagine this isn't an issue, so don't get offended for me asking, but are you using the actual Games for Windows Client, or just the Games for Windows overlay? Since the overlay only gives you things that are relevant in game. I figured I'd ask since half the people on the internet seem to get 90% of the details of Games for Windows (Live) wrong.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

a_heavy_object wrote:>when a door is locked you try to lock pick it
haha, i started that long before fallout 3.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:30 am UTC

You get hit by a train while walking through the subway tracks to get across town.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Return to “Gaming”