Fallout 3!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vaniver

Re: Fallout 3!

Postby Vaniver » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Then again, maybe the game feels like it's about everything *but* the main quest because the main quest is so bland and uninteresting.
The first half of NV's main quest is about as good as the first bit of FO3's main quest, but I felt like the second half of NV was superior to the later bit of FO3. But yeah, bland / delayable main quests seem pretty par for the course when it comes to Bethsoft games.

emceng wrote:It became drudgery making sure I had enough food and water all the time.
I don't remember it adjusting my playstyle much. It's not difficult to feed yourself until you get to the point where you have infinite money, and then it's trivial to feed yourself. It made me care a bit more about food (and made me buy Brahmin Wellington and purified water because I was too rich to dirty myself with lesser things), but that was it.

Technical Ben wrote:I could swear they use the same music. The same music!
I find that very unlikely. However, I believe both had their atmospheric music done by Jeremy Soule, and his compositions are all broadly similar.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 am UTC

After I had played New Vegas for awhile it seemed to me that Bethesda had already sifted out some of the best songs from the time period for Fallout 3 and then Obsidian took what was considered to be the "runners up."

The crashing from the games' engine is just horrendous, but NV just seemed to be more horrible than usual. I actually abandoned NV and returned to FO3 which to me seemed like a lesser of two evils. I have to say I enjoyed FO3 more than NV partly because I didn't have to worry about crashing every time I went around a corner - only after every few corners.

I did enjoy FO3 when it worked. I can only hope that Bethesda has learned from this terrible engine when it comes to Skyrim, because if reviews trickle in and bugs are one of the main topics of discussion then I'll be skipping it.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

Recently got FO3 for my 360, and haven't experienced a crash yet. After playing new vegas for a while, I'm a little dissatisfied with assorted pieces of the game. No hardcore mode, even though it wasn't hard I still enjoyed it. Also, little things like how my health recovers instantly, or that the map feels a lot smaller. I thought it would be cool going around the area I've lived, but it doesn't really matter that I know the area.

However, no crashes yet is a huuuuge plus for me when comparing to new vegas. Having a game crash is such a buzz kill :(

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Technical Ben wrote:I could swear they use the same music. The same music!

I find that very unlikely. However, I believe both had their atmospheric music done by Jeremy Soule, and his compositions are all broadly similar.

I definitely hear pure, unaltered Oblivion atmospheric music in there. It had a nice nostalgic feeling after the huge amount of time I put into Oblivion. However, it was only a portion of the atmospheric music that was the same. But it was a bit of a shock hearing those same songs again, when everything is blackened and destroyed, as opposed to the greenery of Oblivion.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

MisterCheif wrote:I definitely hear pure, unaltered Oblivion atmospheric music in there. It had a nice nostalgic feeling after the huge amount of time I put into Oblivion. However, it was only a portion of the atmospheric music that was the same.
So, I checked out the music files- the ones for FO3 are made by Inon Zur. It wouldn't surprise me if he recycled at least one theme, but listening to them next to each other they're pretty clearly different.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

That might be it. The "great expanse" kind of atmospheric music you get in each seem the same to me. But my memory might be muddled. Walking along the waste, with the wind blowing and a big fanfare going on I kept thinking "this sounds just like the music I hear when I left the prison in Oblivion!"
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

I forgot how fun it was to go around killing and looting. Rawr.

Also, I may finally play the broken steel add-on I bought and never played.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:58 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Recently got FO3 for my 360, and haven't experienced a crash yet. After playing new vegas for a while, I'm a little dissatisfied with assorted pieces of the game. No hardcore mode, even though it wasn't hard I still enjoyed it. Also, little things like how my health recovers instantly, or that the map feels a lot smaller. I thought it would be cool going around the area I've lived, but it doesn't really matter that I know the area.

However, no crashes yet is a huuuuge plus for me when comparing to new vegas. Having a game crash is such a buzz kill :(

Aside from being crash-free, I can't imagine playing Oblivion, FO3, or any other Bethesda game on a console. A huge part of what makes the games fun and actually interesting are the huge number of mods that correct the things Bethesda did wrong, or add things that Bethesda presumably didn't have time to do themselves. But, yeah... crash-free FO3 or Oblivion would probably be pretty slick.

Xeio wrote:I forgot how fun it was to go around killing and looting. Rawr.

Also, I may finally play the broken steel add-on I bought and never played.

Not really missing much. The story, like with the first two games, is not the strong suit of the game - it's the world. I love the Fallout universe, but the storylines haven't really been anything special.

I think I had more fun putting Prodigy's Invaders Must Die into the Pipboy music thing and playing it on a loop while rampaging through Mothership Zeta than most anything else.

TheSweetKill

Postby TheSweetKill » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:18 am UTC

Check out my Mods for Fallout 3 on:

www.fallout3nexus.com/modules/members/i ... id=2198917

Try my guns :)
Tucker: Why do you want my kid?
Wyoming: Because he's very special.
Tucker: Yeah, I guess I should've read to him more.
Wyoming: Not that kind of special you half wit!

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

TheSweetKill wrote:Check out my Mods for Fallout 3 on:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/modules/members/index.php?id=2198917

Try my guns :)

didn't you get shot down on the last page, too?

anyways, anyone else have a hard time with vault 87? broken steel + level 30 means that nothing short of the fat man can kill the mutant overlord swarms, it seems like.

on a less negative note, the unique combat shotgun absolutely annihilates bad guys. also good guys and neutral guys.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:08 am UTC

Playing Fallout 3 GOtY Edition, on the PS3. It was all working excellent, until around I hit level 28. The game started... "lagging", and even crashed a couple of times. And now, with my level 30 character, all S.P.E.C.I.A.L.'s 10, all skills 100 (save for Melee Weapons 66 and Unarmed 50, and big guns 90, but most skill books unfound), the game crahes on me 5 minutes after playing, almost like clockwork.
Wutwut?!

Anyone has related problems?
Ptolom wrote:penis

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:53 am UTC

I have had literally less crashes with FO:3 than I have fingers on my hand. I have a few more glitches with FO:NV with less actual crashes. I play both on the PC. Was there a really buggy early release or something?
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 am UTC

Possibly, I don't know...
Ptolom wrote:penis

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:35 am UTC

I gave up playing New Vegas as more often than not the loading screen cycles ad infinitum. I can't work out what the beef is, but I have to ctrl+alt+del my way out of the endless loading loop. There's nothing to suggest it's a certain save point or whatnot that's causing the hang, as sometimes it just works fine, and sometimes it doesn't. Eternal questions.

My illegal copy of Fallout 3 has never crashed. Ever.

My legit G4WL copy, however. Ack. I'm sure it's the Games4Windows overlay/DRM that screws it up. I had trouble installing it (google "xlive.dll" to see the kind of kerfuffle I went through) and had to manually download Games for Windows Live! and install it against my will just so I could get Fallout running (also I had some savegames from a previous install back in 2009 that I wanted to continue playing--only accessible through G4WL). Now I have shitty G4WL overlaying half of my Steam games as a result, occasionally popping up offering me 10 or 20 'G's for completing achievements I didn't know existed.

Anyway, Retail copy of Fallout 3 crashed fairly often, and fairly hard, taking most of my bedraggled PC with it.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:53 am UTC

The infinite loading screen thing happened ocassionally to me with New Vegas but only after I had installed a TON of mods. I figured it was one of them causing it. Also seemed that if I reloaded a different, earlier save it wouldn't do it. Then from there, loading from in game to my more recent save always worked fine.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:also I had some savegames from a previous install back in 2009 that I wanted to continue playing--only accessible through G4WL
You can move your saves from your GFWL profile folder to one level up from that and they'll be accessible without logging into GFWL.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

F3:NV crashes for me all the time. I've gotten used to the fact and use quick save as often as possible. Happens often during fast moves. In fact usually I will play it until it crashes, then leave. Sometimes I'll play the game until it crashes 3 times in a row.

I have no idea why it does this, but I assume it is a combination of fucked up PC and bad code.

The fact that I continue to play the game through multiple crashes is strange, but I do really like it.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

I can't get into Fallout: New Vegas with the same fervour and enthusiasm as Fallout 3 :(

I suppose it's because I've Katamari Damacy-style osmosed all the criticism of '3 I've read since playing the game, and noticed that I can apply similar criticism to 'NV. Notably:
Tobold wrote:And at first I liked leaving the vault and exploring the wastelands, scavenging the post-apocalyptic ruins for useful scraps. So I played, and played, and played some more, and 8 levels, lots of quests, and a bunch of hours later I was *still* scavenging post-apocalyptic ruins for useful scraps. More specifically I was searching still the same desks, file cabinets, and metal boxes, all of which look the same, for the same bottle caps, junk, and handfuls of ammo. There aren't all that many different containers in this game, and most of the loot isn't really exciting. I ran through endless same-ish looking metro tunnels, fought the same types of enemies over and over, until I just couldn't bring myself to continue.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

I beat the original storyline a long time ago (on both F3 and NV). A few parts were annoying, but I'm also a loser when it comes to completing quests.
I've been working on DLC since then. Finished 3 F3 DLC (mothership zeta, operation Anchorage), in the middle of Point lookout, and because I installed broken steel, I've done some of it (water shit, but never went to the actual plot of the DLC). For Fallout NV, I've completed dead money, honest hearts, and am doing old world blues. I'm loving old world blues for the voices, the feel, the awesome b movie feel. I liked the alien spaceship in f3, and anchorage was ok. Bored of point lookout which is why it's not done. Oh, and Dead money was awesome, honest hearts was crap.

But, these are fun, because even though the collection is annoying, it's still fun to do the story. Doing the main story now seems boring, which is why I haven't replayed either of them. Too boring now.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

I bought New Vegas when it first came out, and though I've fired it up a good three times since then, I still haven't really made it past the first area (I'll do the little training thing with Moira or whoever). For some reason I just CANNOT get into it. Despite the fact that post-apoc is my absolute favorite setting, and I love FPS-RPGs.

The names of the DLCs are pretty awesome, though, I guess I'll give them that.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Notably:
I seem to recall the variation in locations and plotlines being higher in New Vegas than 3. That said, they're very similar games, and so once you've gotten bored of the Bethesda-style RPG it'll be a while before any of them seem fresh to you.

Return to “Gaming”