Give me a Game

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Qoppa

Give me a Game

Postby Qoppa » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

I need a new game. It's been so long since I've been addicted to any games, and I figure this needs to change. I love RPG's and RTS's. Dungeon Siege, NWN, Starcraft, Dawn of War, CivIV.... all had me absolutely addicted for a good number of months, but then I beat the game, got bored or something else.

I'm open to any suggestions, so long as they don't require a monthly fee. Replayability is a big plus, and so are games that actually require strategy.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

FACM

Re: Give me a Game

Postby FACM » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

NetHack/Linley's Dungeon Crawl/Angband/etc.

Rogue-like games are generally free, highly replayable, and usually require a good amount of strategy to do well in. They're also hard. Really hard. About "build a castle out of toothpaste" hard. Some people will tell you they've beaten a rogue-like, perhaps several times. They are lying. Or cheated. Possibly both.

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

Wait for Command and Conquer: Tiberium.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

If you are an RTS fan and havent played Company of Heroes you havent yet lived :) best RTS game ive ever played and on release was agreed to be the best ever.
One day something wity and original will appear here

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:58 pm UTC

Is Company of Heroes well balanced? I've heard good things about it, but the best games can be ruined if they are balanced poorly. Such as DoW.

Speaking of DoW, does anyone know if they have since balanced it with the release of all the new expansion packs. That game was so awesome, but the fact that certain races and units were so overpowered was annoying to say the least.

spelunker

Postby spelunker » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:03 am UTC

yeah, I here Rouge-like games are fun. There's a guy I know that won't shut up about NetHack.

Buy The Orange Box!!!!

I'm eying a copy myself. It's a bunch of FPS-style stuff, but Portal should keep your thinkin' side happy and Team Fortress has all kinds of replayability.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:38 am UTC

Try getting into the Mythos beta. It's a great game. If you liked Diablo II you'll love Mythos.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Sunsnail

Postby Sunsnail » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:19 am UTC

Been playing Mount&Blade for a few days now. Very addictive. You can download a restricted free copy off their website

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:09 am UTC

Qoppa wrote:Is Company of Heroes well balanced? I've heard good things about it, but the best games can be ruined if they are balanced poorly. Such as DoW.

Speaking of DoW, does anyone know if they have since balanced it with the release of all the new expansion packs. That game was so awesome, but the fact that certain races and units were so overpowered was annoying to say the least.

I honestly can't say if they ever achieved full balance, but really it's such a great game that it's worth playing through the expansions as well.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:25 am UTC

FACM wrote:NetHack/Linley's Dungeon Crawl/Angband/etc.

Rogue-like games are generally free, highly replayable, and usually require a good amount of strategy to do well in. They're also hard. Really hard. About "build a castle out of toothpaste" hard. Some people will tell you they've beaten a rogue-like, perhaps several times. They are lying. Or cheated. Possibly both.
Not true! People play online at servers where you can watch them play in real-time. I've beaten NetHack once or twice, and went the whole hog and put a YAFAP on usenet and all. Hell, I'd probably name it in an interview as one of my proudest achievements.

Also, might be worth mentioning that roguelikes are ASCII based (like rogue. Go figure.) Tile-based graphics exists, but they are only for pussies.

Having said that, I'm not sure I can provide a recommendation. I don't play many new, mainstream games.

Hang on, if you're an RPG fan, play Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. Best RPG I've played.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:52 am UTC

Jesster wrote:
Qoppa wrote:Is Company of Heroes well balanced? I've heard good things about it, but the best games can be ruined if they are balanced poorly. Such as DoW.

I honestly can't say if they ever achieved full balance, but really it's such a great game that it's worth playing through the expansions as well.

If the balence isnt entirely perfect its only because the teams are so completely different. This isnt the kind of game where the races mirror each other so it its arguable that balence is isnt perfect but imo it almost is.

Its a great game, try the first game first if you like cause its probably on budget but you can get COH and the expansion pretty cheep anyway

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:19 pm UTC

I like the dawn of war balance, as you have to learn each team individually (to play as or against them) and once you do, none of them are really that overpowered. The team I mainly use is eldar, but I've been trying tau a little and find them pretty cool but completely different. This is with all expansions though, I have to agree it was seriously unbalanced with the original four.

Anyway, what level of PC do you have? I personally like UT3, but it's not huge on strategy and the bot pathing in team games is a little dodgy. Multiplayer is nice though. I second the reccomendation for company of heroes unless you (like me) dislike the WW2 setting. Rome: Total war would probably do nicely as a bargain game, a fair amount of strategy and replayability there. I hear the witcher is a good RPG although I haven't tried it myself.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:33 pm UTC

Tbh i dont like RTSes, and i dislike WW2 settings even more. I get little satisfaction in overcoming AI oponents in strategy games however COH is so damned good :) belive me i wish it wasnt WW2 based but none the less its the bes RTS out there.

I still play DOW though cause it makes the nerd in me happy in the pants :) nothing is more fun than dicking around with Warp Spiders as Eldar

peter

Postby peter » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

Universe at War: Earth Assault, if you want to pay for Games for Windows.

World in Conflict is a good, non-monthly RTS, that requires a lot of strategy. Generally got around 9.0+ on review sites.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:06 pm UTC

I'm not so much for the textbased, ASCII games. Sorry Nethack fans.

If CoH is well ballanced, perhaps I will give it a try. It looks cool. I also tend to prefer fantasy themed games, but some WW1/2 games just pwn anyway.

Toeofdoom wrote:I like the dawn of war balance, as you have to learn each team individually (to play as or against them) and once you do, none of them are really that overpowered. The team I mainly use is eldar, but I've been trying tau a little and find them pretty cool but completely different. This is with all expansions though, I have to agree it was seriously unbalanced with the original four.
Oooo. I haven't played since the original , and was fed up because eldar > everythingelse. About a year ago I decided to check it out again, and I all I could find were people complaining that the balance issues were back: Tau were waaaaay overpowered. I guess they fixed this? Any ballance issues that are left are minor?

Toeofdoom wrote:Anyway, what level of PC do you have?
Outdated. 1 gig of RAM, Athlon XP 2600+, Sappire Radeon Atlantis 9600 (256MB). I almost think I need to go upgrade me motherboard, CPU and videocard before I try anything new. Or stay away from really new games.

I'll also look into the other games posted here. Thanks!

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:22 pm UTC

Well, company of heroes won't run too well there it looks like. It's got some pretty high level graphics. Same goes for orange box, UT3, world in conflict, not sure about universe at war.

Rome total war will be nice though, as will UT2004, and they can both be gotten pretty cheaply, both of them having a number of mods available.

The main change to someone coming from DoW to dark crusade is that infiltration is suddenly kickass. Like, I went with eldar and didn't add warlocks to my guardian squads, and then all these Tau shoot the crap out of me and I can't see them cause they stay stealthed while shooting. The eldar are way less powerful than they were, as warp spyders are only available after building a support platform. Avatars and fire prisms are also harder to get, and vehicles across all races use alot more of the population cap. Also, powerful units/vehicles are limited in number (3 spyder squads, 2 prisms max I think)

My friend didn't want to download the patch because it nerfed tau a bit apparently, so I assume they're more balanced.

Also, please note that killing an entire necron base is very hard, but all you really need to do is take out any and all monoliths and the necrons lose.

I'm not a great judge of balance really and haven't played much multiplayer, but it's much more fun anyway just because you kinda need to have varied armies rather than just a stack of the best units.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Goofy-Boots

Postby Goofy-Boots » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:25 pm UTC

world in conflict is good.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

Goofy-Boots wrote:you guys are serious losers.
i say good for you for stealing! put those copies up on e-bay and reap the rewards of doing it the easy way.

Wrong thread...?

Website

Goofy-Boots

Postby Goofy-Boots » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:30 pm UTC

obviously i'm too fast for you, go practice the edit button some more.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:37 pm UTC

Goofy-Boots wrote:obviously i'm too fast for you, go practice the edit button some more.

Obviously not fast enough, since he managed to quote you....

Return to “Gaming”