Copy-Protection Light/Free Games

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

FACM

Copy-Protection Light/Free Games

Postby FACM » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:47 pm UTC

My gaming computer, while quite capable of meeting any task at hand video-requirement wise, tends to have one recurring issue with games. Seems that most copy protection schemes don't like my setup. I suspect it has something to do with having the DVD drive on a RAID controller.

Most games suffice by not always reading the original CD. Having a 50% chance to start a game is rather irritating. The worst offender so far has been NWN2, which required me to get a custom patch from SecuROM to get it to run. I prefer not using no-disc cracks, since some of those tend to bug up games, which is about as bad as not playing them.

As I've not been paying much attention to disc protection stuff lately, I've come to ask you what modern games you know of have little to no disc protection on them. With Christmas coming, I'll likely have some money to drop on a game. What are your suggestions?

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Re: Copy-Protection Light/Free Games

Postby Phentos » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

If you know what the problem is, and you're savvy enough to have set it up so in the first place, why don't you just fix it?

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:55 am UTC

That's not the point. He shouldn't have to build his computer to the whims of the subhuman leeches who think it's a great idea to make games not work on legitimate setups.

I'll be honest. This is EXACTLY why I stopped buying games on physical media. A complete and total disregard by most manufacturers (chief among them EA) of anything that doesn't have a Dell sticker on the front of it.

The most that good NoCD cracks break these days is multiplayer (In fact, the only notable instance of anything else being broken from a reputable release group that I can remember is Sims 2). If for some reason you care about that, I suggest you buy an xBox because copy protection *WILL* strangle PC-based gaming.

The point here is that I am very willing to pay for the entertainment, but I am very NOT willing to pay to get told by some moron on the phone that my computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the game and to return it to my place of purchase (nevermind that my place of purchase does not take open-box returns)

Also, if my memory serves, THQ has been patching copy protection *OUT* of its games.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:36 am UTC

Okay, games with very little copy protection:

Galactic civilizations 2 pretty much has zero copy protection, it's a civilization style game in space. Personally I found it a bit slow paced and never got far in (installed off a friends' disks).

Company of heroes also doesnt require the disk in, although it uses a CD key. It's quite a nice RTS set in WW2 though. Not sure about the expansion. Made by the same people as dawn of war is.

UT3 doesn't seem to require a disk check for me either, although you have to log in online for it to save your campaign progress. It's a good (not perfect) FPS with sweet multiplayer, and a good modding future. For that matter, UT2004 had its disk check removed in patches.

Also, most MMOs require no disk check. And if you buy any game off steam, you'll be fine, cause they can't really expect you to put in a disk you never had.

NOTE: This doesn't nessecarily exclude things I haven't said, these are just things I know of.

Also, I believe copy protection sucks ass, and should at most be used for A. online multiplayer or MAYBE (not sure) B. single player only games like bioshock. Disk checks are outdated and suck massively.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:04 pm UTC

Daemon Tools, anyone?

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:13 am UTC

Seconding the Steam suggestion. Their catalog ("catalogue" isn't a word, Firefox? Riiiiight.) gets bigger every day.

FACM

Postby FACM » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:05 am UTC

Alright, let's see if I can reply to that all.

1) I can't fix the issue, as moving the DVD off the RAID controller means I have to remove a hard drive. Either the OS drive goes, or the drive with everything else goes. This is not an option for this machine. This will be corrected in my next tower.

2) I have Steam, and I like it as long as I have network access. I've had nothing but trouble trying to get Offline mode to function properly in the past. In that sense, Steam isn't alot better than the other copy protection systems. Beyond that, Steam is pretty nice.

3) Most games with copy protection detect CD Emulation and refuse to work. DT and Alcohol 120% work fine for older games, but newer ones notice it much more often.

4) UT3 is something I will have to look at. I've not been big on online FPS games, but it might be worth looking at.

5) I've tried a few MMOs. I'd be looking for something a little less grind-tastic than standard, keeping UT3 up there on my list of stuff to consider.

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:10 am UTC

UT is amazing online.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:24 pm UTC

Mount & Blade's copy protection is nonexistant. But it's also not finished, so.. there's that. Demo's nice enough, though.

Same thing with Dwarf Fortress.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

FACM

Postby FACM » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

I tried Dwarf Fortress. I'll admit that I had no idea what was going on, let alone any idea how to make my dwarves do anything but pace aimlessly. The in-game help wasn't all that helpful, and I didn't expect the manual to be much better. I found the concept interesting, but I couldn't figure out the controls outside of attacking things in adventurer mode.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

I'm fairly certain that the learning curve is so steep, only those born with an instinctive knowledge of how to play Dwarf Fortress can actually play Dwarf Fortress.

I couldn't even get the damn world made.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:01 pm UTC

FACM wrote:I tried Dwarf Fortress. I'll admit that I had no idea what was going on, let alone any idea how to make my dwarves do anything but pace aimlessly. The in-game help wasn't all that helpful, and I didn't expect the manual to be much better. I found the concept interesting, but I couldn't figure out the controls outside of attacking things in adventurer mode.

d brings up the designation menu, b the build menu. +/- on the keypad cycles through stuff on the build menu.

While it's tempting to dig straight down and go for ores and such and try to get your dwarves to make armor and shiny things, the first thing to really do is .. get your dwarves farming, and get an underground water pool for them to drink from when winter comes.

But.. yeah, my first three fortresses didn't survive the first winter. My next several didn't survive more than two or three years. I'm getting better.

Anyway, the DF Wiki is very much helpful.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:55 am UTC

The UnReal World.

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

It's a rogue-like set in Iron Age Finland.

Apparently, a lot of UrW players also likek Dwarven Fortress, for you DF fans.

As for myself, I've been playing it since about 2002, and I've seen a LOT of changes.

DRM consists of a 10-day lifespan on all characters for non-registered characters. A seperate program will "unlock" the game with a one-time action (per release).
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

FACM

Postby FACM » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:05 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:DRM consists of a 10-day lifespan on all characters for non-registered characters. A seperate program will "unlock" the game with a one-time action (per release).

That's less DRM and more shareware.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:11 am UTC

It's also been around since the 90's. :D

And locks on shareware can be considered DRM.
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

Return to “Gaming”