My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Which era was the best?

red/blue/yellow
41%
gold/silver/crystal
31%
ruby/sapphire/emerald/leafgreen/firered
10%
Diamond/pearl
7%
Otter/Duck
11%

Total votes: 370

hideki101

Re: My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Postby hideki101 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

It could be the RNG acting up again. There is a random number attached to the amount of damage you deal, so the RNG could just be higher coincidentally right after they heal. When I do it, I don't notice too much more or less damage either way.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Hmmm, indeed. Its only very slight, but its definitely there. Only once have I had it work the other way (battling someone the other night) where they ended up better off. (before I crushed them like a bug, that is :P )
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:37 am UTC

Maybe you guys can help me out: I have a Rain Dance team that currently consists of Suicide Electrode/Damp Rock Bronzong/TrickScarf Rotom (Wash)/Sweeper Ludicolo/Double Dance Kingdra (Rain Dance/Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Outrage). Electrode and Bronzong both know Explosion and are holding Damp Rocks, and everyone knows Rain Dance. I want to add Toxicroak but can't decide on a moveset. I'm currently using Focus Punch/Poison Jab/Sucker Punch/Substitute, but I can replace Poison Jab with Swords Dance for absurdly powerful attacks that require telepathic prediction. Or I can go with Brick Break/Sucker Punch/Thunderpunch/Swords Dance for something that's a bit easier to use but lacks Focus Punch's raw power. I can also go special with Sludge Bomb/Hidden Power Water/Vaccum Wave/Nasty Plot, or swap Vaccum Wave with Cross Chop to handle Blissey but sacrifice priority.

*rages at excessive options*
Insert witty phrase here.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

I dont think I've ever seen a ludicolo used effectively.

Man, Palkia was a pushover; one ultraball. Though the you cant leave till you've fought it thing was kind of screwed; what if you had no pokemon left and no healing items?

Also, why is torterra, a giant tank with a tree on it, faster than a luxray four levels higher than it? Electric pokemon are supposed to be fast.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:26 am UTC

*bump as this thread is no longer on the first page*
Was it me, or were the elite four kind of....crap?
I used a team of five level 47/48's and one level 28 to wipe them out.
Surely somethings not right there.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

Surely the mono-type nature of their teams (Cynthia excluded) contributes toward their ease. I think the next E4 should focus on battle strategy rather than types, so you'd face an offensive team, a defensive one, status, etc. That way they can preserve type diversity.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:Surely the mono-type nature of their teams (Cynthia excluded) contributes toward their ease. I think the next E4 should focus on battle strategy rather than types, so you'd face an offensive team, a defensive one, status, etc. That way they can preserve type diversity.

Actually thats a pretty awesome idea. It will test teams to make sure they can deal with each type of threat.

That being said, they have to make the game easy enough for people who don't go crazy on the strategy and just want to play with cute creatures.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

So no SkarmBliss on the defensive team, then? :P

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

Though they have quite unbalanced types, the movesets are pretty decent; the shadow-balling roserade caught me by suprise.

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

It was good up til Gold and Silver. The first lot were great, gold and silver expanded on it, the extra continent, the breeding etc. But still good character design and such. After that it just went down hill. Red & blue = best, gold and silver= still good.
Ahh nostalgia.
I have 151 on blue and 251 on gold without cheating.... well missingNo but he doesnt count.... ok without gameshark then.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:27 am UTC

I've managed to go through this entire thread and I've not seen one person comment on the Contest angle. I hate it to death...

Also, uncatchable Feebas + Condition-based evolution into Milotic=EPIC fail. I only caught one legit and it was deleted after my brother stole my cartridge...
ImageImage
^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:04 am UTC

That's why I gave up and had a friend hack me one. I love Milotic, but Feebas is such a bitch to get.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:12 am UTC

What. The. Fuck.
It is harder to catch a level 9 elekid than it was to catch palkia.
I'M STILL THROWING BALLS!

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:44 am UTC

For the people who still say R/B/Y are the best, what's FireRed and LeafGreen? Chopped liver?
I'm not understanding how nostalgia trumphs smoothed out gameplay. The PC is much less of a bitch, for one.
ImageImage
^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:05 am UTC

Truth be told, the only thing I don't like about post-crystal games is that the concepts, the appearances and the names of pokemon just started to get stupid. The originals had a special something, and the next 100 were neccessary to fix a broken game, but after that we get things like the far too cutesy and plain ugly Bidoof and there's something about Dialga, Palkia and the Regis that just says "Somewhere pokemon went wrong" to me.

I don't own any of the gen III of IV games, just played through most of Ruby and some of Leaf Green.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

dane9640

Postby dane9640 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:49 am UTC

My personal favorite was Yellow, with blue/red following close behind. After that having 430+ pokemon is just overkill.
Fire red and Leaf green were the best of the new generations, only because they were technically remake of Red/Blue
If you keep trying to prove murphy's law, will something go wrong?

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

It's only overkill if you insist on catching/raising them all. It simply gives you a bigger selection of favorites to choose from. I love Abomasnow for one.
ImageImage

ohnoesmilk

Postby ohnoesmilk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

Release date for Pokemon Platinum finally! March 22, 2009!

Anybody excited?

The Speed Gamers are going to have a Pokemon marathon on the 19th starting 5pm CST and are going to try catching 491 pokemon. Good times.
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:29 am UTC

I'd be excited, but I've spent an obscene amount of time with Pearl.

Is 'Pokemon Battle Revolution' any good or is it just a waste of money?
ImageImage

Tatsubei Yagyu

Postby Tatsubei Yagyu » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:26 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Also, why is torterra, a giant tank with a tree on it, faster than a luxray four levels higher than it? Electric pokemon are supposed to be fast.

Pokedex Entry for Magcargo in Sapphire Version: "MAGCARGO's body temperature is approximately 18,000 degrees F."

Pokemon break science.

Also, all sources lead to Pokemon Battle Revolution not really being that good. I haven't got my hands on it myself, not owning a Wii, but I don't really know where it could go wrong, so long as you know what you're buying.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

Mr. Lostman wrote:It's only overkill if you insist on catching/raising them all. It simply gives you a bigger selection of favorites to choose from. I love Abomasnow for one.

Agreed. Although, I insist on catching them all (or at least have them in my dex. There are really too many to fit in the PC with enough room to spare), it just means that there is a greater variety to catch. There are more than 493 different organisms on planet earth, stands to reason there are more pokemon types than the original 151. Most of my favorites come from generation three: Milotic, Gardevoir, Metagross, Linoone, Aggron, Absol, Tropius, and Lati@s to name a few.
Tatsubei Yagyu wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:Also, why is torterra, a giant tank with a tree on it, faster than a luxray four levels higher than it? Electric pokemon are supposed to be fast.

Pokedex Entry for Magcargo in Sapphire Version: "MAGCARGO's body temperature is approximately 18,000 degrees F."

Pokemon break science.

So Magcargo's body is hotter than the surface of the sun? It seems he'd melt through the ground like a pile of thermite.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

hideki101 wrote:Most of my favorites come from generation three: Milotic, Gardevoir, Metagross, Linoone, Aggron, Absol, Tropius, and Lati@s to name a few.

Bolded ones for me.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Tatsubei Yagyu

Postby Tatsubei Yagyu » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

The only generation that's truly bothered me was this most recent 4th one. The some of the pokemon are starting to not "feel" like pokemon...

But I don't think there's anyway anyone could think any game could top Gold and Silver in anyway. It just did everything right. :)

Favorites to come at a later date.

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:07 am UTC

Tatsubei Yagyu wrote:Also, all sources lead to Pokemon Battle Revolution not really being that good. I haven't got my hands on it myself, not owning a Wii, but I don't really know where it could go wrong, so long as you know what you're buying.
I figured it'd be something like this.
My only problem, if you will, were like repeats. (Meowth, Skitty, Glameow, etc.) How many cats do we need?
ImageImage

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:30 am UTC

Especially when some creatures don't exist; like platypus.

Tatsubei Yagyu

Postby Tatsubei Yagyu » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:46 am UTC

Yeah, I'm still in awe that there is not a single dolphin pokemon. But of course, there's a million different species of dog. :S

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:52 am UTC

The thing that pisses me off is that most of the evolved dragons are dragon/flying. Dragons are able to fly full stop, so either you make the entire evolution of them dragon/flying or none. Dratini, dragonair and dragonite can all fly, but only dragonite has the type flaw. Why?
Also, there is an incessant weakness to ice for dragons; the only other prolific dragon combo type is that of dragon/ground, which shares that horrific weakness. How about a fire/dragon (because that would actually make sense)

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:10 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:How about a fire/dragon (because that would actually make sense)

Yeah, too bad Charzard isn't a dragon/fire type. That would be completely awesome.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:17 am UTC

hideki101 wrote:

Yeah, too bad Charizard isn't a dragon/fire type. That would be completely awesome.
If it was, and could learn thunderbolt or something along those lines, would be epic.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:58 am UTC

Wait, you mean he isn't? I totally thought he was! DAMN IT POKEMON KNOWLEDGE! YOU HAVE LET ME DOWN!
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:19 am UTC

hideki101 wrote:

Yeah, too bad Charzard isn't a dragon/fire type. That would be completely awesome.

I want this.

As for the ice thing, that's ONE of TWO weaknesses (being reptilian). I have to have some chance of taking down Dragonite w/o a dragon-type taking space in my lineup. They're totally broken.
ImageImage

Tatsubei Yagyu

Postby Tatsubei Yagyu » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:19 am UTC

Well, it's not like their are a lot of popular Ice types to use, but ice moves are still pretty dangerous. Also, Flying is weak to ice as well, so lol@Dragonite.com

Personally, I adore fighting types, but my main DP team is pretty much Infernape, Golduck, Medicham, and Altaria with two slots open at the second.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:36 am UTC

There isn't really any popular ice types, just popular ice attacks.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

wst

Postby wst » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:What. The. Fuck.
It is harder to catch a level 9 elekid than it was to catch palkia.
I'M STILL THROWING BALLS!

On my first playthrough of Yellow I got Zapdos with one Pokeball, without attacking it at all. Booyah ;)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

GL with Beldum...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:There isn't really any popular ice types, just popular ice attacks.

Are you sure this isn't backwards?
ImageImage

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

Mr. Lostman wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:There isn't really any popular ice types, just popular ice attacks.

Are you sure this isn't backwards?

Isn't Ice Beam one of the 2 stock attacks every offensive water type has? (the other being surf)

How many Ice types are actually used?
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:GL with Beldum...

No kidding. Trying to catch a level 53 with the lowest catch rate in the game, and an attack that hurts itself? Not to mention in a sandstorm? I'm just glad you can get a free one in RSE.

Tatsubei Yagyu

Postby Tatsubei Yagyu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:16 am UTC

hideki101 wrote:

No kidding. Trying to catch a level 53 with the lowest catch rate in the game, and an attack that hurts itself? Not to mention in a sandstorm? I'm just glad you can get a free one in RSE.

Sounds like a challenge. As soon as I find my GBA, Imma get on that. ;)

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:43 am UTC

I'm missing something obvious here....I know it....but GL?

Return to “Gaming”