My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Which era was the best?

red/blue/yellow
40%
gold/silver/crystal
31%
ruby/sapphire/emerald/leafgreen/firered
10%
Diamond/pearl
7%
Otter/Duck
11%

Total votes: 374

i like pi

Re: My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Postby i like pi » Fri May 16, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:@pi
Sweet, I stopped playing after wizards dropped it though. I had a killer electric deck.
Do you remember when they rereleased the first booster packs, but they had random reverse foil cards? Any way, my first pack I whipped out a reverse foil Zapdos. I wonder how much it is worth?

Uh... like five dollars on Ebay.

Also, I still have my Ancient Mew (Still in its package!), a prerelease dark Gyarados, two holo machamps (one still in the packaging like the Mew), a holo Clefable, A holo Clefairy (In spanish, what the hell), A latios and a latias (the good latias, and just in case you don't know, it was a gift from someone I haven't talked to in a while), and thats about it.

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sat May 17, 2008 1:30 am UTC

I hated them all, so I voted Otter/Duck. But If I had to choose, I'd say Blue or Red was the best.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Tony Wonder

Postby Tony Wonder » Wed May 28, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

I have just found myself getting back into Diamond again after a six month hiatus which was taken after my intense annoyance at not having any chance of catching a Mew or trading for it on the GTS since I haven't seen it yet. I think I would like this generation better if there were more pokemon I could actually catch, barely seen any of the originals. I always find it really disappointing to not be able to catch the starter pokemon from previous generations, you have them for so long and they grow on you, then you start again and won't find them again. I miss Bulbasaur and Chikorita, always such a good feeling when they first learn Razor leaf and Solarbeam.

I'll be spending a good few hours to come training up my Spiritomb and Lucario before realising once again my dismay at no Mew. The new legendaries I have like Heatran, Giratina, Cressalia, Palkia, Dialga and more just don't inspire me as much as finding Zapdos and Mew. I would give away them all for a Mew :/

Other than that I have really enjoyed Diamond and look forward to a long summer with it. I have tried to not use my Palkia since it got Pokerus as I almost feel like it has made it too easy now, its stats are much higher in comparison to similar level pokemon, and it has Draco Meteor.

I don't mind the overabundance of types of Pokemon now, just means there is more choice for battling...

EDIT: OK, I have tried to not ask for one for so long now but if someone can trade me a Mew they can have my Heatran, Palkia, Dialga and Giratina... I really want that Mew...
Last edited by Tony Wonder on Thu May 29, 2008 3:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Thu May 29, 2008 1:07 am UTC

I have neither a DS nor a DS emulator, so Emerald is currently my favorite. Because R/B/Y are too primitive, and G/S/C are obviously the worst in the series. I didn't quite like FireRed/LeafGreen. Mostly because I knew what was going to happen, and the peninsulas were underwhelming, in my opinion. However, I haven't played emerald in ages. The last time I started up again was in August, as I had nothing better to do third period. I had this terrific phys. sweeping Arcanine, as well...

In other news, I can name the original 151 from memory. :D

integral

Postby integral » Thu May 29, 2008 3:42 am UTC

I only believe up to GSE for good overall gameplay and FR/LG for actual battle. I do NetBattle so I play competitive Pokemon battling, where there's actually some pretty deep strategy. D/P totally screwed up combat mechanics imo (like messing with physical/special, plus lamer pokemon).

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Thu May 29, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

integral wrote:GSE

I can't tell if this is supposed to be GSC or RSE.
Insert witty phrase here.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

69 win streak at the battle tower with the team posted! I feel so proud now. I got lucky with Palmer the second time, though (critical hit on the Cresselia). I lost to a fucking Froslass*, after it froze me with Ice Beam and used various luck-based moves. Now I bet the next post will be someone bragging about a >100 win streak. :twisted:

*Not to be confused with a regular Froslass :)
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sat May 31, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Foiled, as I have heard too many horror stories about the Battle Hax Tower to bother trying. This has the unfortunate side effect of making all items bought via BP nonexistant. Maybe if I ever feel like using an AR...

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat May 31, 2008 7:13 am UTC

See, I actually quite liked FireRed. The original lot, I grew up with, and I played Red/Blue/Yellow to completion. By the time Silver came out I had stopped watching the program, so I didn't really have a clue about the pokemon that were in it, not the gym settings. So when FireRed came out I had the advantage of knowing the setting, even if I didn't know the pokemon so well! Childhood revisitation, yay!

I've not gotten hold of Diamond / Pearl yet. Should I?

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sat May 31, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:Foiled, as I have heard too many horror stories about the Battle Hax Tower to bother trying. This has the unfortunate side effect of making all items bought via BP nonexistant. Maybe if I ever feel like using an AR...

Actually, I found that from about battle 20 to 50, I was freakishly lucky. After about 55, the opponent got freakishly lucky. I think the RNG isn't biased, just broken.

Plus, in my current streak, my Articuno freezes with Ice Beam waaay too often.
Spoiler:

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sat May 31, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

On the RNG note, I remember reading that one possible reason for the perception that the Tower is unfair is because it's a one-strike-you're-out affair. IMO, giving the character continues under certain circumstances a la Pokemon Stadium would go a long way towards alleviating the inevitable hax that will come barreling your way.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I've not gotten hold of Diamond / Pearl yet. Should I?

I picked up a copy of Pearl about a week ago, and I reckon it was money well spent. Admittedly, I don't reckognise most of the new monsters so I'm still getting my head around which moves to use against which creatures, but that'll come with that staying-inside-and-contantly-playing thing I tend to do.

But the DS versions have some pretty nice features:
* Global trading thanks to the wireless features
* That pleasant nostalgial feeling when you find a pokemon you recognise
* Pokedex count being measured by the number you've seen as opposed to caught
* The ability to migrate your pokemon from FR/LG and R/S/E
* Poketech - your friendly watch displayed on the touch-screen that has awhole bunch of useful features like a step-counter, a map showing where the ripe berries are, a display showing your squad's health and many more
* The Heal Ball!!! A pokeball that heals the pokemon when it's caught so geting your squad started is pretty easy

undoutably there are more to come
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:52 am UTC

I forget... Was there only one series that used the two-on-two battles, or are those back in Diamond/Pearl now as well?

Also, is there going to be a third game alone the lines of Diamond/Pearl, sort of like Yellow and Crystal?

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:54 am UTC

CrackTheSky wrote:Yellow was fucking annoying. I hated being forced to take Pikachu at the beginning, and him following me around everywhere was really annoying. I liked how it followed the story closer than R/B did, but that didn't make up for the parts that bothered me. Once I played through it once, I could never bring myself to play through it again over R/B, to the point where I bought used copies of both Red and Blue to replace my broken ones (MissingNo. glitch kills those games -_-).

YOU GOT ALL THREE OF THE STARTERS!! Who doesn't love that? I mean pikachu may be annoying, but you got the other three anyways. Plus, you could have put him away if you wanted to
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:57 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I forget... Was there only one series that used the two-on-two battles, or are those back in Diamond/Pearl now as well?
They are back in Diamond/Pearl. There is a restaurant full of them, (with trainers that you can fight again every day iirc.)
Jorpho wrote:Also, is there going to be a third game alone the lines of Diamond/Pearl, sort of like Yellow and Crystal?
Yep, named Pokemon Platinum it seems.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:02 am UTC

All this talk about Pokemon is bringing back my childhood obsession with it. I played Blue ages ago, and then Silver. I really loved both. Lugia was stupendous. Blue is the real classic, but I played much more with Silver and I suspect I loved it a little bit more.

I haven't played Pokemon anything (heck, Gameboy/DS anything) in years. Maybe I should start again.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

CrackTheSky wrote:I liked how it followed the story closer than R/B did, but that didn't make up for the parts that bothered me.

While this post doesn't specifically imply it, it sounds like something you would say if you thought the games were made after the anime.....

...just saying is all.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:While this post doesn't specifically imply it, it sounds like something you would say if you thought the games were made after the anime.....

...just saying is all.
Yellow was.

I'm playing through my Red version again. Great fun. I hate how one of my party members must be a flying type (because no one likes walking, especially without the ability to run), though this is usual. Pidgeotto fills this requirement now. I'll change to Dodrio later on in the game. It can learn FLY, right? I'll check what my current party is later tonight. I remember having a dilemma about what Pokemon I should replace with Drowzee.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

What really bothered me when I was playing through Yellow is that I started getting paranoid about my TMs. I mean, a lot of them are unique - so what if you use one on a Pokemon that was eventually going to learn to use that technique anyway? Or what if that particular Pokemon learns a technique that's even more useful? There doesn't seem to be any way of planning it out without using a strategy guide.

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:37 am UTC

I never use TMs. So far all of the TMs I picked up are in my PC box. After I complete my Pokedex, my TM collection is next.

Is this not true in all Pokemon games?

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:44 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:What really bothered me when I was playing through Yellow is that I started getting paranoid about my TMs. I mean, a lot of them are unique - so what if you use one on a Pokemon that was eventually going to learn to use that technique anyway?
Yeah, I never really used them in Red/Blue. Besides, It was very rare that the moves Pokemon learnt on their own weren't enough.

Once you can breed Pokemon (which is GSC on, iirc) it changes a little. Breed a female and male Pokemon together, you'll get a new Pokemon of the same type as the mother, that may have inherited moves from the father. Or something like that. It's one of the aspects of the game I would know nothing about if it weren't for the internet.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Dalebert

Postby Dalebert » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Has everyone seen this video? I think it's the most viewed video on YouTube, though it's been removed for copyright issues. It inspired a comic strip. I've never played any Pokemon video games. I accidentally saw the cartoon a few times.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:16 am UTC

JayDee wrote:Once you can breed Pokemon (which is GSC on, iirc) it changes a little. Breed a female and male Pokemon together, you'll get a new Pokemon of the same type as the mother, that may have inherited moves from the father. Or something like that. It's one of the aspects of the game I would know nothing about if it weren't for the internet.

Something that cracks me up is the fact that inbreeding Pokemon actually makes the offspring better, not worse, due to the way stats are inherited.

Of course, this assumes the parents aren't pieces of shit. <_<

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:34 am UTC

I'm thinking I may have to check out the new games, then.

I'm kind of disappointed actually - I was at home over the last few days and decided to re-check my old GBA pokemon games, because I don't remember finishing Ruby. But it turns out I have. All my pokemon are between level 43 and 52. This is pretty much the same on all my games, my pokemon wind up around those levels [give or take a boundary of +5] by the time I beat the end and get the associated legendary, which from other people I've spoken to is pretty low. What kind of levels do you guys beat the final trainers at?

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:39 am UTC

I'm usually desperate to finish the game so the first time I take on the final trainers, or the Elite Four, my squad's between levels 40 and 50, and the battles involve a lot of revives and super potions
Skateside:
Spoiler:

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:22 am UTC

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've only had a handful of critters break level 50. My memory could be faulty, though. Lots of revives and potions (and failing and trying again) sounds awful familiar, too.

wst

Postby wst » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

Dalebert wrote:Has everyone seen this video? I think it's the most viewed video on YouTube, though it's been removed for copyright issues.

Thanks to that video, I know all of the words. I want to learn the pokemon rap- did anyone ever bother to record the rap at the end of each episode and splice them together on a VHS?
(fixed typo saying I was omniscient)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Ondore

Postby Ondore » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokerap has the lyrics at the bottom, and it was also commercially released on the 2 B A Master CD.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Ondore wrote:http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokerap has the lyrics at the bottom, and it was also commercially released on the 2 B A Master CD.

Haha, that brings back memories. I remember trying to write down all the lyrics after every episode, getting a little more pokemon every time, then trying to memorize them. That was about the same time I tried solving Scooby-Doo mysteries by actually writing down the clues. :roll:
Spoiler:

Arjy

Postby Arjy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

I had yellow, crystal, and sapphire before I stopped playing. Yellow was fun, but after I beat the game it got boring. Crystal was awesome, because the game was so huge, and when i found out you could go to the R/B/Y world, i was like WOAH AWESOME. Sapphire was kinda cool to start, good graphics, but after a bit it just got too much, the new pokeman and the fact that it had so many new aspects to it (Pokemon abilities, moods, advanced evolution requirements, berries) that just ruined the fun I had before. I bought fire red, since i heard it was pretty similar to yellow but with the cool graphics, but it still had those new aspects of the game, that just made the experience terrible. But because I now had owned 4 pokemon games, when pearl came out I was given that too. Ho-ly shit. Talk about complex. The two screens just made things about 4 times as hard to understand as before, and i looked it up, there are at least 400 pokemon, most of which looked like petty revamps of the awesome original ones.

Okay, I'm done. :D

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

Skateside wrote:I'm usually desperate to finish the game so the first time I take on the final trainers, or the Elite Four, my squad's between levels 40 and 50, and the battles involve a lot of revives and super potions

That seems like an entirely appropraite level to take the elite four at. When I get to them(at least in G/S/C), I'm still in late 30s. I just have about 60 revives, full heals, lemonades and hyper potions.

I think you need to be a few levels higher in the other versions though.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

l33t_sas wrote:
Skateside wrote:I'm usually desperate to finish the game so the first time I take on the final trainers, or the Elite Four, my squad's between levels 40 and 50, and the battles involve a lot of revives and super potions

That seems like an entirely appropraite level to take the elite four at. When I get to them(at least in G/S/C), I'm still in late 30s. I just have about 60 revives, full heals, lemonades and hyper potions.

I think you need to be a few levels higher in the other versions though.

Wow, am I the only one who focuses on a single pokemon, and sends a level 70+ ripping through everything in its path?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

Wow, am I the only one who focuses on a single pokemon, and sends a level 70+ ripping through everything in its path?

My sister does that, she'll have one uberpokeman, and a bunch of nooblet level <20s when she's up to the Elite 4.

I usually have one overpowered and then two or three weaker, but still useful backups for those tricky types that trump my main, myself.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:

My sister does that, she'll have one uberpokeman, and a bunch of nooblet level <20s when she's up to the Elite 4.

I usually have one overpowered and then two or three weaker, but still useful backups for those tricky types that trump my main, myself.

I do that, except I catch the level 50 randoms which are near the end of the game, they're better than level 20s even though they're not EV trained. Plus a legendary here and there makes it easier too.

I just like to get past the elite 4 asap to get the stuff after asap.

Basically with a level 70+ you need a lot of ethers :X
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:47 am UTC

I'm discovering that amassing a large number of Pokemon and trying to keep them all at approximately the same level as you progress is a guaranteed way to drive you crazy. Leveling up 30+ Pokemon between each gym is not fun.

OT: I really need to re-download Shoddy, I'm getting out of practice.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

Yes, I am guilty of the uberpowered few then some shit ones.
Mewtwo level 100 (trade)
Espeon level 100 (trade - I prefer Umbreon)
Typlosion level 100 (own)
Cyndaquil level 57 I think. (own - The typhlosion's baby)
Noctowl level 23 (I put it into battle, take it out quick, and let Mewtwo take it. They both get exp).

On Silver.
Best thing, trainer House has the last person you link battled against stored there. So I have to fight a few level 100 things every time there, much worse than the Indigo League.

But I can basically just Mewtwo everyone to bits.
Uberpowering is good, but I'm raising the Cyndaquil to be in my 'second gang' of level 60's-ish (got some randomers at level 40 or so to train) so I get a challenge again.
Oh, I want a level 100 Cyndaquil, just because ;)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Pokemon Yellow was the first game boy game I ever had. I have much nostalgia for it. The only reason I think it's better than Silver (which I'm proud to have owned) is because it had a managable number of Pokemon. Nowadays, they're up to somewhere around 500 and sometimes I forget whether something is Normal or Ground, until I find out it's actually Fire/Ice because the developers think that's clever.

Still, my team in Silver was my best ever, with straight 100s (they were about 70 before I used the time machine to take advantage of Missingno) including a Lugia that knew Earthquake (my favorite TM combo EVER). So what if you have a Pikachu, I might say.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

Biosock

Postby Biosock » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:34 am UTC

Ahhhh... pokemon. Its a neat bunch o' games. I like ruby/sapphire the best. Apparently, only 7 other people think so, according to the poll.

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:59 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:Wow, am I the only one who focuses on a single pokemon, and sends a level 70+ ripping through everything in its path?

I had a friend who trained his entire squad up to level 100, getting me hooked on the idea of doing that. But because his squad were so good, simply having a single pokemon that can hold its own against his squad wouldn't be enough. As a result, I always train my squad evenly, so my squad are always the same level, or a couple of levels apart.

But unlike ParanoidDrone, I just focus on my squad of 6. If another pokemon just isn't in the squad anymore, it gets left behind very quickly
Skateside:
Spoiler:

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:11 am UTC

I looked through my Emerald, Leaf Green, and Ruby a few days ago, and found I had >10 level 100s. Was... was I really that obsessed?
Spoiler:

Return to “Gaming”