Taking it seriously: The zombie problem

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel
Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Re: Taking it seriously: The zombie problem

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:Alcohol is good to have, especially against Night of the Living Dead style zombies. Pour it on points of entrance, then if a bunch of zombies are there, throw a match.

Note: Do not attempt in a wood building.

Another note: Use something highly alcoholic, not bear or wine. Vodka could do the trick.

About throwing the match: Get an oily rag, light that on fire, throw that. It would be much better because if you have ever thrown a match, it's not as cool as it sounds and it does blow out easily.

We talked about burning zombies before: If it is a good idea (from experience when Z-day happens) then we would do it in X ways, but if it is bad because of Y reasons, then we will not burn zombies. It all depends on what zombies are actually like when Z-day hits.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:No. Adding fire to zombies doesn't make burnt to death zombies, it makes flaming zombies. They'll shamble around setting shit on fire. This is bad.

It depends on the zombies. If you've seen Night of The Living Dead, fire was very effective in that case.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:45 am UTC

So has anyone been playing the zombie simulator in Call of Duty: World at War? Not very realistic about the only useful thing from it is how to barricade and/or set up choke points.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:14 am UTC

aion7 wrote:
Torvaun wrote:No. Adding fire to zombies doesn't make burnt to death zombies, it makes flaming zombies. They'll shamble around setting shit on fire. This is bad.

It depends on the zombies. If you've seen Night of The Living Dead, fire was very effective in that case.

I would think that magical zombies would be extremely hard to kill with fire. Zombies caused by parasites could be interesting (from a purely scientific standpoint) to try to kill with fire, you might even be able to cook the parasite depending on what the parasite is like. Fire worked great against headcrab-zombies. Using fire against virus type zombies would be much less effective than against regular humans but way more effective against magical zombies (because it looks very difficult to "kill" magical zombies, you might even need to learn to throw lightning! :mrgreen: )

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:Which brings me to another point: Why would people think that the cold/snow/ice would stop zombies? The cold would/could have very little effect on zombies (because they don't need all of their biological processes to survive) compared to humans that would give up and [possibly] die because of feeling so cold and lost, zombies don't feel pain or heat or cold or love or anything! So the cold wouldn't effect them as much as it would regular humans, right?

I don't think it has anything to do w/psychological effects as much as physical effects. Zombies do have liquids in them like humans, and even with our ever-present biological processes, humans can still freeze to death quite easily. Add the idea of freezing liquids to a corpse that has no biological processes (or limited/altered processes), as well as the fact that a zombie would not be capable of the thought processes to "bundle up" or "keep warm," and you can see how the temperatures could stop/destroy a zombie.

Frozen zombie + anything blunt = no more zombie.

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:Another note: Use something highly alcoholic, not bear or wine. Vodka could do the trick.

Maybe that's why bears always shamble around... they're perpetually drunk due to their high alcohol content! :lol:

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:
Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:Another note: Use something highly alcoholic, not bear or wine. Vodka could do the trick.

Maybe that's why bears always shamble around... they're perpetually drunk due to their high alcohol content! :¡This cheese is burning me!:

I was going to say something to that effect, then I decided that I would lurk until someone else said something. I'm kind of a jerk already. (Source: my last 100 posts)
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:
Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:Which brings me to another point: Why would people think that the cold/snow/ice would stop zombies? The cold would/could have very little effect on zombies (because they don't need all of their biological processes to survive) compared to humans that would give up and [possibly] die because of feeling so cold and lost, zombies don't feel pain or heat or cold or love or anything! So the cold wouldn't effect them as much as it would regular humans, right?

I don't think it has anything to do w/psychological effects as much as physical effects. Zombies do have liquids in them like humans, and even with our ever-present biological processes, humans can still freeze to death quite easily. Add the idea of freezing liquids to a corpse that has no biological processes (or limited/altered processes), as well as the fact that a zombie would not be capable of the thought processes to "bundle up" or "keep warm," and you can see how the temperatures could stop/destroy a zombie.

I was thinking that because of the cold and that zombies not having biological systems such as flowing blood to regulate temperature that they would just freeze and be unable to move. So I think it would stop zombies in the literal sense, not moving. And with the frozen zombie with the blunt object, are you saying the zombie would just shatter or its just easier to kill because its frozen?
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

Whoawhoa, Torvaun claimed that movement doesn't generate head. I'm under the impression that the primary source of body heat is from the contraction of muscles, so zombies WILL generate heat. Lurkers and ramblers, obviously not so much, but 28 days later, screaming ravaging sprinting crazies, should be hot as hell! (heh)
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

Yeah but aside from the running screaming zombies would they generate enough heat to keep above freezing? Because I was figuring that their muscles and tissue would eventually freeze solid.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

BMW787 wrote:I was thinking that because of the cold and that zombies not having biological systems such as flowing blood to regulate temperature that they would just freeze and be unable to move. So I think it would stop zombies in the literal sense, not moving. And with the frozen zombie with the blunt object, are you saying the zombie would just shatter or its just easier to kill because its frozen?

Well, both. They wouldn't be able to move to hurt you, and it should be trivial to bust through their spinal column/head... unless we're talking about ridiculously low temperatures that would make any moisture in the body harden to the point that it would be too tough to break.

BMW787 wrote:Yeah but aside from the running screaming zombies would they generate enough heat to keep above freezing? Because I was figuring that their muscles and tissue would eventually freeze solid.

I don't see how it would be possible for them to keep above freezing. Considering humans have the ability to shake when cold, as well as the sense to "bundle up" as mentioned before, and they can *still* freeze, I don't see how it would be possible for a being with just the friction of movement to keep from freezing.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Whoawhoa, Torvaun claimed that movement doesn't generate head. I'm under the impression that the primary source of body heat is from the contraction of muscles, so zombies WILL generate heat. Lurkers and ramblers, obviously not so much, but 28 days later, screaming ravaging sprinting crazies, should be hot as hell! (heh)
I claimed movement doesn't generate -enough- heat. See also fish, reptiles, and amphibians.

28 days later zombies are living creatures. That means that they're going to need holy shit levels of food to keep up that pace, they'll drop within a day otherwise. Probably faster as the muscles shut down.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:49 am UTC

OmegaLord wrote:
Phrozt wrote:

Maybe that's why bears always shamble around... they're perpetually drunk due to their high alcohol content! :¡This cheese is burning me!:

I was going to say something to that effect, then I decided that I would lurk until someone else said something. I'm kind of a jerk already. (Source: my last 100 posts)

Crap. Damn it, you won that round. I ment to say "beer" not "bear".

zombie + anything blunt = no more zombie.

See, it doesn't have to be frozen to die from a blunt object.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:Crap. Damn it, you won that round. I ment to say "beer" not "bear".

If you want to get technical, you also meant to say "meant" and not "ment".
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 am UTC

[off-topic_crap_that_is_not_related_to_surviving_the_inevitable_zombie_apocalypse_at_all]
Upsilon wrote:
Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:Crap. Damn it, you won that round. I ment to say "beer" not "bear".

If you want to get technical, you also meant to say "meant" and not "ment".

They both show up as correct words in the firefox dictionary. What is the difference? What does "ment" mean? [/off-topic_crap_that_is_not_related_to_surviving_the_inevitable_zombie_apocalypse_at_all]

Does everyone know the bars that you use when lifting weights? They are pretty heavy and solid. If you were stuck in a melee with the zombie, would you use one of those bars or would you use your hands. (For situations sake, you are in a gym and the doors are locked).

I don't think the weight bars would be good in general melee combat, but if given the choice between temporary weapon that I would drop after it looses its immediate effectiveness and no weapons what-so-ever but my hands, then I would choose the weapon. I would always choose using a weapon in combat rather than just using my hands. I would probably leave the weight bar behind once I "kill" the zombie and find a way to escape. It would be stupid to take the weight bar with you because they are so heavy. (Also, I don't mean using them with the weights on, you would take the weights off before fighting or something).

That last paragraph was a little hard to make sense, but I did my best.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:19 am UTC

According to the Oxford English Dictionary:

"-ment, suffix. Forming abstract nouns from verbs and (less commonly) from adjectives." I can screenshot it if you want, since you need a subscription in order to use the online service. If there's a word you're not sure on spelling, use a real dictionary, not Firefox spellcheck. It'll stop the cheap shots since this place seems to pride itself on decent spelling and grammar.

If you're using a weightlifting bar, ideally you'd want it to follow the limits on bludgeoning devices you've already set for yourself. The problem is the gym, as depending on the gym the free weight bars might be too heavy to effectively use, or there might be no free weights, or all of the bars have weights that take too long too take off. Safety first, don't want weights slipping off and hurting someone while they lift. I'd probably still look for a janitor's closet first, as they might have some flammable chemicals/bleach + ammonia*/metal brooms or mops, but if they're already knocking go for the arm curl station and grab a smaller bar. The weapon is to fend them off for now until you can find something better, not kill as much as you can. Although if there's an open escape route, why stop to fight with a non-optimal weapon when you can run and look for something better?

(*Chemical warfare might not affect zombies, depending on type)

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

In that case, I might have to look for my sisters old school dictionary. It should be sufficient. Hopefully.

JANITORS CLOSET! :shock: I completely forgot about the janitors closet. Yes, that would be a great place to go for make-shift weapons.

metal brooms or mops
Even a wooden broom handle would be useful, if you couldn't find anything else that is better. I don't think the mop* would be as good as the broom. Brooms are easy to dismantle, all you have to do it unscrew or cut/break off the end.

*or atleast the ones with a sponge on the end and have those mechanisms that help you squeeze out the excess water.

but if they're already knocking go for the arm curl station and grab a smaller bar.
What's an arm curl station? Or is that something I should google/wikipedia rather than ask people?

flammable chemicals/bleach + ammonia*
It would be unwise to test out something like if chemical weapons are useful against zombies while you're running for your life. If it doesn't even effect the zombie and it gets you, then it would have been the biggest mistake in your life. Although, it might be a good idea to try out once you are relatively safe, like if you were on top of a building from which you could drop the chemicals onto unsuspecting zombies.

If you were at high-school/university/collage then the metal/wood technology room could be a great place to go. There would be a large amount of tools (like hammers) that you could use and probably a large amount of wooden polls/metal bars/pipes. They would be great weapons untill you fond something better; like a crowbar. (I am only talking about melee fighting here, ranged would be preferable but we do have to plan for every contingency, like when you run out of ammo or never ever find a gun or it is Z-day and you were caught unprepared).

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

If I'm banking on a melee weapon, one of the first things I'm going to do is cover up my mouth and nose and look for something to cover my eyes.

Would be a bitch if I turned myself into a zombie from blood spatter I got by fighting a zombie to save myself...

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:If I'm banking on a melee weapon, one of the first things I'm going to do is cover up my mouth and nose and look for something to cover my eyes.

Would be a bitch if I turned myself into a zombie from blood spatter I got by fighting a zombie to save myself...

I never thought about that. That would be kinda stupid if you got yourself infected that way. I think Id wanna go with a painters mask and some light easily cleanable goggles.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

I can't find the exact bar I was looking for, but short breakdown. Deadlift bars are the incredibly long bars (>50lb), the ones that you see people lifting on strongman competitions. The kind that start to bend after you lift due to the raw mass you have on the end of each side. Curl bars are usually bent at the middle to provide grips for your hands, and are much shorter than a deadlift bar - these would be much easier to maneuver around (<50lb). Then there are the single arm bars, both those that have weights that won't come off (solid pieces of concrete) and pieces of steel that you can place free weights on. Any of the latter two would work, although it depends on what you know how to fight with - instead of using a curl bar as a two-handed sword, use it as a iron-shod staff, or use the smaller bars as long knives.

Flammable chemicals are always good, as long as you know how to produce the reactions. Not so much for killing, but having a portable firestarter when you need it, or the traditional molotov. Depending on what you have it might be possible to set off explosive reactions that you'll want to do from a distance, make the liquid trail and start it up. Indoors at a major establishment/shop chlorine gas would be effective, I'd imagine - a quick reaction with water (fire sprinkler systems) and you'll get hydrochloric acid, which can eat through human skin. However, I'm not a chemist/chem. major, and don't know off the top of my head the amount of chemicals which would be needed to be effective.

At a place of higher learning I'd head for the chemical storerooms first, then a workshop. Same routine, take any chemicals you know to be good for use, then get out. Workshops usually have forklifts of some sort, we've got a propane powered one around as well as multiple oxygen tanks and acetylene tanks, etc. Using the chemicals you've gathered you can set the tanks off while hopefully finding some keys so you can hitch a ride on a vehicle.

Nifar

Postby Nifar » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:Flammable chemicals are always good, as long as you know how to produce the reactions. Not so much for killing, but having a portable firestarter when you need it, or the traditional molotov. Depending on what you have it might be possible to set off explosive reactions that you'll want to do from a distance, make the liquid trail and start it up. Indoors at a major establishment/shop chlorine gas would be effective, I'd imagine - a quick reaction with water (fire sprinkler systems) and you'll get hydrochloric acid, which can eat through human skin. However, I'm not a chemist/chem. major, and don't know off the top of my head the amount of chemicals which would be needed to be effective.

Quite a bit I'd imagine, If you're wanting to take out a whole horde. Also, that's something you'd want to set up on a tripwire or something so that you're nowhere near it when it goes off.

Also, I forget which substance it is, but it explodes upon contact with water, so you could set up a few chunks in sprinklers then have someway to remotely activate the fire systems (possibly a tripwire with one end tied to the fire alarm). Once the sprinklers go off, they'll explode, raining shrapnel down on the zombie's heads. Even if this doesn't kill them, it has a change of taking out eyes and arms, and possibly feet.
Out of context quote of the week: "Practice static safety: Hack naked."

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:45 am UTC

The leftmost metals, Potassium and another at least.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Potassium and sodium.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:13 am UTC

Yes, potassium and sodium, but they need to be pure, which is hard to find outside of a lab due to water being everywhere. You'll also need a way to handle it so that it doesn't explode in your hands, since sweat I believe is enough to set it off.

Nifar

Postby Nifar » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:06 am UTC

I dunno about you guys, but my highschool science lab had a chunk or two, along with gloves and tongs for handling it.

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:58 am UTC

BMW787 wrote:
Phrozt wrote:If I'm banking on a melee weapon, one of the first things I'm going to do is cover up my mouth and nose and look for something to cover my eyes.

I never thought about that. That would be kinda stupid if you got yourself infected that way. I think Id wanna go with a painters mask and some light easily cleanable goggles.
My dad always has a couple pairs of cheep sun-glasses which might be good for keeping blood out of your eyes. I was going to mention the painters mask too, but you got to it first. If you don't have access to a painters mask, a bandanna might do the trick.

This talk about traps is good. Explosives and chemical weaponry should be left to professionals (Chemists, chem majors, science teachers ect.) but is a good idea. Regular traps could be useful too. Just make damn sure you remember exactly where you put them. You don't want to be running from zombies and fall into a hole or something.

It looks like raiding a high-school might be a good idea. The safety goggles in the science labs or metal/wood tech rooms would be good. Having a high-school as a temporary base might be a good idea, as long as the high-school is a large building rather than several blocks of buildings. (If it was several blocks, it might be more difficult to defend. Unless you just choose one block to have as your base).

Nifar wrote:I dunno about you guys, but my highschool science lab had a chunk or two, along with gloves and tongs for handling it.
I think that most high-schools do, depending on where you live in the world. Although, depending on what subjects you take, you might not even get to see it.

Nifar

Postby Nifar » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:10 am UTC

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:This talk about traps is good. Explosives and chemical weaponry should be left to professionals (Chemists, chem majors, science teachers ect.) but is a good idea. Regular traps could be useful too. Just make damn sure you remember exactly where you put them. You don't want to be running from zombies and fall into a hole or something.

I know I'm going to regret this but... What kind of regular traps are you talking about? Perhaps a triggered rockfall/landslide/logslide to keep the zombies away from your area, and possibly kill a few in the process? That's about the only useful thing I can think of that's non-explosive/non-chemical that I know how to set up.

Edit: The afore-mentioned hole in the ground would only be goof for so long, eventually enough zombies are going to pile up that they can just walk out, whereas if you set up a rock drop just right, and in the right location (i.e. indoors) then you're essentially blocking of an area to the zombies forever. To get an idea of what I'm talking about, imagine one of those traps in Oblivion where you set of a tripwire or pressure plate, and suddenly you have rocks dropping from the ceiling, blocking your path and possibly injuring you. I can't set it up with a pressure plate, because I don't know how they work, but I can set it up with a tripwire that runs to a trap door in the ceiling.

Jos

Postby Jos » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

If you have any proficiencies with knots you could rig ropes to pointy/heavy things which would fall down as soneone tentions a specific part of the rope. I know I could anyway, being a scout. Most people could probably manage something similair given time.

As to the Highschool basecamp-idea, I wouldn't go for it. I wouldn't want other buldings ect. (cover) close to my home. An approximate circle with 50-100 meters of nothing around my base would be prefered. Both for the traping possiblities (nails, knives and other sharp objects in the ground), the ideal shooting range it would make for and spotting reasons.

Alcohol! it is flammable, easy to handleand easy to come around! If "z-day" had come I for one wouldn't leave home without means of making a fire and neither should you

My Meleéweapon of choice would be a crowbar. Not for coolness, but for it's flexibility, it has sharp edges but can still be used as a blunt weapon.
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

Nifar

Postby Nifar » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

Jos wrote:My Meleéweapon of choice would be a crowbar. Not for coolness, but for it's flexibility, it has sharp edges but can still be used as a blunt weapon.

Not to mention the fact that it can be used to pry open doors, hammer in nails, serve as a cane/walking stick if it's long enough and you're short enough, etc.

Cleverdan22

Postby Cleverdan22 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

My plans for a zombie outbreak depend on the zombie. If its an old school zombie with little to zero motor skills, I get a baseball bat and some food and live on my rooftop until it all blows over and I get rescued.

If its a crazy 28 days later or Left 4 Dead zombie, then I get a gun and a bat, hide in my closet, and hope for the best.

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:04 am UTC

Nifar, you read my mind. That is exactly what I ment. "I know your listening."

Nifar wrote:
Jos wrote:My Meleéweapon of choice would be a crowbar. Not for coolness, but for it's flexibility, it has sharp edges but can still be used as a blunt weapon.

Not to mention the fact that it can be used to pry open doors, hammer in nails, serve as a cane/walking stick if it's long enough and you're short enough, etc.
One thing: When I was at some huge hardware shop, looking for a present for my dad for Christmas, I found a rack of crowbars. They were of varying size and shape. From so small that you can easily wield with one hand* to very large**. A hardware store would be a great place to go for weapons.

The one I went to, was absolutely huge. I mean, there would be enough for a lot of people to live. If you could barricade the front doors. (It had one of those large front door sections). It might be possible to barricade most or all of the entrance with a large shelf. I don't know how heavy the shelves are but you could probably move one in front of the doors if you had enough people. (Obviously you would take off all the things on the shelf before you try to move it. Then, if it is light, put some very heavy things in front of it).

*and would be impossible to wield with two because they are so small.
**so large that they are taller than me.

Nifar

Postby Nifar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

Cleverdan22 wrote:My plans for a zombie outbreak depend on the zombie. If its an old school zombie with little to zero motor skills, I get a baseball bat and some food and live on my rooftop until it all blows over and I get rescued.

If its a crazy 28 days later or Left 4 Dead zombie, then I get a gun and a bat, hide in my closet, and hope for the best.

So, when you're turned into a zombie do you want to be killed by bullet or beating?

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:The one I went to, was absolutely huge. I mean, there would be enough for a lot of people to live. If you could barricade the front doors. (It had one of those large front door sections). It might be possible to barricade most or all of the entrance with a large shelf. I don't know how heavy the shelves are but you could probably move one in front of the doors if you had enough people. (Obviously you would take off all the things on the shelf before you try to move it. Then, if it is light, put some very heavy things in front of it).

The problem with a HUGE open building is that of what happened in 28 weeks later. Multiple entry points, and all it takes is one person getting infected (or already being infected w/out showing transformation) and the entire building full of people turns into a shoot-out in a water barrel (metaphorically speaking).

ajbleck

Postby ajbleck » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

forgot about this thread.

One thing i always thought about is where would you go in case of a zombie apocalypse? The bad thing about where I am right now is I am about 20 mins away from an international airport(but not for long, when I go to college I will kinda be in the middle of nowhere). So i would want to get away from there as soon as possible. I would probably just go out to the middle of nowhere find a house and hunker down. what would you do?
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:52 am UTC

ajbleck wrote:forgot about this thread.

NEVER!!!

Phrozt wrote:
Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:The one I went to, was absolutely huge. I mean, there would be enough for a lot of people to live. If you could barricade the front doors. (It had one of those large front door sections). It might be possible to barricade most or all of the entrance with a large shelf. I don't know how heavy the shelves are but you could probably move one in front of the doors if you had enough people. (Obviously you would take off all the things on the shelf before you try to move it. Then, if it is light, put some very heavy things in front of it).

The problem with a HUGE open building is that of what happened in 28 weeks later. Multiple entry points, and all it takes is one person getting infected (or already being infected w/out showing transformation) and the entire building full of people turns into a shoot-out in a water barrel (metaphorically speaking).

Interesting. I didn't think of it that way. You are right.

Once world war Z set in, how would you set up a safe house? What exactly would you put in it? (Assuming that you are staying in a town/city and moving around).

wst

Postby wst » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

I'd put an escape route in it. A concrete lined, underground escape route. If I was in a flat a lift shaft would be excellent.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Cleverdan22

Postby Cleverdan22 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:49 am UTC

Nifar wrote:
Cleverdan22 wrote:My plans for a zombie outbreak depend on the zombie. If its an old school zombie with little to zero motor skills, I get a baseball bat and some food and live on my rooftop until it all blows over and I get rescued.

So, when you're turned into a zombie do you want to be killed by bullet or beating?

With my plan I obviously wouldn't be, but I'd say it doesn't matter, cuz I'd be a zombie, and I doubt they retain the emotions that they had when they were human. If I did, however, then I would like to be beaten down by a protagonist, with him having a hard time doing it. Everyone remembers those kinds of zombies!

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:31 am UTC

My pain problem with the zombocalypse is that I'm almost smack dab in the middle of the D/FW metroplex. It's at least a 30-45 minute drive on a highway to get to anything resembling open country, and I wouldn't go near a highway at all. They'll be packed with abandoned cars, often with zombified passengers/drivers.

Really, the only short/medium-term plan I can come up with (assuming Max Brooks zombies, and a surprise invasion (I'm imagining it like I wake up in the middle of the night with two zombies bashing through my (embarrassingly large) window)) is grabbing a few nice sticks I keep next to my bed for just this reason, my laptop and assorted cables, wake up the rest of the family, and head to the attic, grabbing cans out of the kitchen on the way. The sticks are mainly a stand-off weapon, holding zombies at bay as we quickly head into the attic, which is about as perfect a temporary safehouse you can get. Once there, I start calling/texting everyone I know, set up a phone tree, and find some easy means of mass communication. I'm thinking Facebook- set my profile to public, direct everyone there, and then start up some means of communication, saving (hopefully) many people, especially those not in the direct zone. Luckily, within a few square miles I know of maybe 5 people with either zomibe invasion plans or the mindset to quickly cope.

Once the few zombies under the attic ladder have been dealt with, my family will head down for one last excursion into the house, grabbing all food and supplies (eating non-perishables first, of course), shutting the attic, and making no noise whatsoever. I've actually discussed this plan with my dad, and we figure we can stay comfortably up there for a while. Beyond that point... I don't know. There are simply too many variables to consider. For bare-bones, I'll try to stay in contact with as many people for as long as possible, either directing people to one communal safehouse, or just telling them how to hole up in their house. Unfortunately, there are no buildings nearby that I would consider worthy of zombie defense.

A survival question: I've heard from a few places that's it's simply not worth it to try to ration water, that you'll be healthier to just drink to stay hydrated at all times. In a survival situation such as this, is that sound advice ? Or will it get you killed?

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:15 am UTC

RetSpline wrote:A survival question: I've heard from a few places that's it's simply not worth it to try to ration water, that you'll be healthier to just drink to stay hydrated at all times. In a survival situation such as this, is that sound advice ? Or will it get you killed?
I'm definitely no expert, but John Wiseman in the SAS Survival Guide says:
John Wiseman wrote:RATION YOUR SWEAT, NOT YOUR WATER!
If you have to ration water, take it in sips. After going without water for a long time, don't guzzle when you do find it. Only take sips at first. Large gulps will make a dehydrated person vomit, losing even more of the valuable liquid.
I take this to mean that you should focus more controlling your loss of liquid, rather than your intake (unless of course you haven't had any for a while). About which he has to say this:
John Wiseman wrote:Avoid exertion. Just rest. Don't smoke.
Stay cool. Stay in the shade. If there isn't any, erect a cover to provide it.
Do not lie on hot ground or heated surfaces.
Don't eat, or eat as little as possible--digestion uses up fluids, increasing dehydration. Fat is especially hard to digest.
Never drink alcohol. This takes fluid from vital organs to break it down.
Don't talk. Breath through your nose, not your mouth.

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:38 am UTC

wst wrote:I'd put an escape route in it. A concrete lined, underground escape route. If I was in a flat a lift shaft would be excellent.

And if you don't have the time, knowledge and supplies to do that? I was meaning, how would you set it up? What would you actually put in it? Would you barricade all the doors and put a rope ladder up to get onto the roof? Or would you barricade all but one door, leave that door locked and take the key with you? Given that you now have enough food, weapons, tools and other useful items, what would you leave in there? Where would you leave it? Remember, this is not going to be your main/permanent base. Only leave things that you can afford to leave.

Given a one-story house, how would you fortify it? In this house, you have all the stuff you would find in a regular house. (As in, you would have a table with chairs, a couch, a fridge, a draw with knives in it, a broom and mop, ect). The only restrictions of this house are that it has no guns, swords or other real weapons*. It does have tools, but the amount of tools that you would find in a regular house. So how would you do it? Remember, you only have the things in the house.

*Real weapons being things originally made to be a weapon, like a gun or sword. Tools like crowbars and hammers are not considered real weapons. Kitchen knives and pocket knives are not considered real weapons, but hunting knives are.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:22 am UTC

I would personally get to my university as I could use the chemicals and formulae there to make a hell of a lot of explosives and the mech eng building for weaponry. Also, it'd be really hard for a zombie to get to the top floor of the library; even if they figured out how to use a lift, the top floor can only be accessed by a hidden lift that few people know about/have found. And if all else fails, it has doors which lead straight to the outside (literally they open to empty space). Also, the lifts are really slow, so I would have time to prepare for each attack should they figure out how to get there.
Also, on a lighter note, I need to find myself a 'grif'. (See one of the Red vs Blue PSAs about zombies)
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Return to “Gaming”