Taking it seriously: The zombie problem

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Oregonaut

Re: Taking it seriously: The zombie problem

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

I just typed out a seven paragraph synopsis of the Marvel Zombies plot, when I realized that it STILL doesn't make any freaking sense outside of the comics.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

Didn't they have them doing something really insane in that? eating Galactus or something?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

Yeah, they acquired the Power Cosmic by munching on Norin Radd, then when Galactus came (as Mr. Radd was heralding his arrival) they jumped him and munched on him as well. So you had super-powered zombies with the Power Cosmic running around depopulating their Universe.

Good times.

The EGE wrote:

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:56 am UTC

And I thought merely intelligent zombies were bad...
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm fairly sure we can all agree that all life would be fooked.

Worst part is, the whole thing wouldn't have happened if Reed Richards hadn't gone bonkers after Valeria and Franklin were eaten.

The EGE wrote:

soraos21

Postby soraos21 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 am UTC

ok... back to the topic of turtling or travel...
Let's use RE zombies(the slow, non-mutated ones and the undead hounds) as an example for this scenario(HIGHLY IMPROBABLE):

Let's say you were lucky enough to be able to afford the tools needed to build a moat(this is important) and had the time to get it built before Z-Day hit. Instead of filling it with water, you built a very large conveyor belt and in one corner had a furnace with an opening tall enought that the zeds couldn't easily pile up and climb out before being burnt to a crisp, which the conveyor belt fed. If done correctly, any zed horde within earshot/zombiecall would effectively get burnt to a crisp and you would be safe inside your fort(functional drawbridge and food reserves included). Also, the furnace provides power and/or clean(albeit tasteless(aka boiled)) water and heat.

The above scenario, though highly improbable, would work for the zombie type I mentioned, yes?
All things, even those you know not of, are point of view. Public acceptance is subjugation and so is individuality. Neutrality is the only path...neither publicly accepted nor individual. Enjoy your hidden slavery.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

Not sure you could get the necessary energy from burning corpses to keep the conveyors rolling. And if there wasn't a constant stream, I'm sure of it. And if the opening isn't pretty large, it'd be easy to have multiple zombies try to go through at once and jam it all up. If it -is- pretty large, then you're losing even more heat. The zombie hounds were capable of leaping in through windows, which means they might be capable of a moat leap too. If the conveyors don't really zip the zombies around, the shambling horde might still clog up enough for some to make it across.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

Regarding RE zombies: any zombie infection capable of infecting and turning animal life would be unsurvivable. Zombie birds, zombie rodents, and even worse zombie insects would be impossible to avoid long-term.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

In stores now.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Regarding RE zombies: any zombie infection capable of infecting and turning animal life would be unsurvivable. Zombie birds, zombie rodents, and even worse zombie insects would be impossible to avoid long-term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acari

:/

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:35 am UTC

Animal life doesn't necessarily mean all of it. Squirrels don't get rabies, pigs don't get mange, turtles don't get HIV.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:10 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Regarding RE zombies: any zombie infection capable of infecting and turning animal life would be unsurvivable. Zombie birds, zombie rodents, and even worse zombie insects would be impossible to avoid long-term.

There are islands that are separated from basically everything. If the virus can cross the ocean though, yeah, you are fucked.

psion

Postby psion » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:36 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:

There are islands that are separated from basically everything. If the virus can cross the ocean though, yeah, you are fucked.

Zombie sharks? A shark bites a human zombie that wandered too far, which bites a sea lion, which lands on your island with a craving for fresh human flesh. It's slow, but it never stops. It never sleeps.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:Animal life doesn't necessarily mean all of it. Squirrels don't get rabies, pigs don't get mange, turtles don't get HIV.

The dead don't start walking around again.... it's a new thing. While it's possible it won't affect Reptiles, it may affect all mammals. Or maybe all life will be affected, and you'll have to wear armored boots to stop zombie grass from infecting you. Who knows!?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:01 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Torvaun wrote:Animal life doesn't necessarily mean all of it. Squirrels don't get rabies, pigs don't get mange, turtles don't get HIV.

The dead don't start walking around again.... it's a new thing. While it's possible it won't affect Reptiles, it may affect all mammals. Or maybe all life will be affected, and you'll have to wear armored boots to stop zombie grass from infecting you. Who knows!?

Even if it's just limited to mammals, good luck keeping zombie mice out of your fort. Want to try for an island? I hope you can find a ship without zombie rats.

If it does spread to non-mammalian animals, we are boned, even without zombie plants. I have enough trouble with normal living spiders in my house, let alone zombie ones.

In stores now.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

Wouldn't slow and weak zombies simply be eaten by feral animals?

And all zombies by maggots for that matter? They have no immune system right?

psion

Postby psion » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

If all life could be infected, I'd imagine so could bacteria. The best chance for human survival would then be a closed ecological system with a large underground research facility. Preferably with Hazmat suits and several methods of sterilization. Pray that it's not L4D infection rules and research a solution for as long as it takes.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Wouldn't slow and weak zombies simply be eaten by feral animals?

And all zombies by maggots for that matter? They have no immune system right?

In the Zombie Survival Guide, animals avoid contact with zombies; even bacteria avoid them, hence the unusually long shelf-life of a zombie. Animals can be infected, but do not turn into zombies; rather, they simply die (IIRC, the virus dies with them and an animal corpse can be safe to handle after a couple of hours). In most other zombie fiction (Resident Evil being a notable exception, because the virus there infects everything) animals appear to either avoid or simply ignore zombies; Dawn of the Dead (remake) is a popular example. Zombie reaction to animals runs a similar range in fiction, from eating them as readily as they do humans all the way to completely ignoring them. Zombie Survival Guide states that animals will be pursued by zombies and eaten, but that zombies will prefer to pursue a human; i.e. if a zombie sees both a human and an animal it will attack the human first.

In stores now.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:25 am UTC

I would wonder if that was a product of size, or if there is something in the human that makes us tastier.

The EGE wrote:

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:I would wonder if that was a product of size, or if there is something in the human that makes us tastier.

Theoretically it's because only humans can become zombies and it's the virus's way of ensuring propagation, but we all know that's B.S.

I'm leaning towards humans either being tasty or addictive, like zombie crack.

In stores now.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

In the...crap...Night of the Living Dead, I believe, series the zombies needed humans for something that stopped the owies. Which would be another good reason.

The EGE wrote:

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:In the...crap...Night of the Living Dead, I believe, series the zombies needed humans for something that stopped the owies. Which would be another good reason.

Zombies wrote:BRAINS!

In stores now.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

All we want to do is eat your brains/We're not unreasonable/I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes.

The EGE wrote:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:In the...crap...Night of the Living Dead, I believe, series the zombies needed humans for something that stopped the owies. Which would be another good reason.
Return of the Living Dead.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

There we be. It was for the seratonin, ne?

The EGE wrote:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

Endorphines, but close enough. Brains make the hurting stop.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

So, for your survival bags, you need to procure a copy of a reputable herbalism journal.

The EGE wrote:

Arabascan

Postby Arabascan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

Unfortunaly I live in germany, where firearms are restricted and quite rare. I live in an urban area far from bigger military bases, far from the next hardware shop and close to a hospital and a police station.

If I would be attacked at home, the first thing I would do is locking myself up, getting every useful stuff here and getting the fuck outta here.

What I would take with me is:

-2 Knifes (Swiss Pocket Knife and Kitchen Knife)
-Claw hammer
-Backpack
-another bag, sleeping bag or sleeping pad
-durable, resistant clothes and a second set
-matches and a lighter
-the MW2 nightvision goggles and a flashlight
-my Gasmask
-batteries
-2 bottles/tetrapacks of water
-canned food
-toothbrush, toothpaste, soap
-book, paper, pencil and dice
-tent

If there would be other people here, I would give them some stuff to carry too. And I would try to head towards the closest semi-safe place: The school.

If I would be attacked at school, I would stay. The school is perfect, because there is:
-a hunting shop
-a supermarket
-a pharmacy and
-a electronics shop
nearby. I would try to fortify the place. If impossible, I would try to get some of my people together (most of them are scouts and I'm not) and head towards the wilderness (forest).

If everything is FUBAR, I would barricade up in the closest building and try to survive a little with what is there until I can escape.

If I could choose, I would pick up the following weapons:
-machete
-survival knife
-semi-auto small pistol (9mm), for example the P99 with silencer (not attached)
-semi-auto scoped hunting rifle (5,56 NATO) with silencer (attached) (for example the sar-m9f)
-some smoke grenades to attract zombies if nessecary.

And if everything stays FUBAR, I would try to head to the closest island here without access to the mainland: veermansplaat.

PS: Which kind of zombie do you mean?
Last edited by Arabascan on Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone has his price. Mine is a clean conscience."

If I make any spelling or grammar mistakes, just tell me (if you stay polite).
(Edit:Or if I write anything stupid.)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

Arabascan wrote:PS: Which kind of zombie do you mean?

Not that I or anyone else expects you to read this entire thread, but that question has come up before. The answer is "All of them"

Or more accurately, phrase your answers in the form of "If we're talking Classic Romero Zombies, then X.. but if we're talking Modern Day of the Dead Fast Zombies then Y, of course Rage 28 Days Later "Zombies" mean Z" if you want to cover the majority of the bases.

...and keep in mind that when you say a specific type of zombie (for example the Classic Romero Zombies) you're also talking about everything else that comes along with it (In the case of Classic Romero - every human death, regardless of the means of death, results in a zombie assuming the head/brain is still intact, with the cause of Zombification being undetermined - possibly solar radiation, possibly a nearby comet or meteor, possibly Hell being full, who knows. No one, that's who.)

There's so many different zombies in so many different forms of entertainment, you're pretty much free to do whatever, it's just helpful to let us know what kind of zombies you're assuming so's someone else doesn't come along and try to tear down your ideas because you're assuming Zombie Type 1 while they're assuming Zombie Type 5.

For example, you don't need a silencer. Not really. All it's going to do is slightly reduce the sound and drastically reduce the velocity of the round. If you're shooting at Zombies, you're fucked and have no other way out (and don't really care about the implications of possibly attracting attention because if you don't, you're dead), you're in a situation where you are not near your home base but are trying to efficiently clear out zombies and have an escape plan already in motion (See : The rolling truck Zombie Killer*), or you are trying to cover someone as they make it to your base and know that without shooting, they're going to die.

Even suppressed, the sounds of gunfire are going to draw Zombies from all over. Remember, a "silencer" is properly called a supressor, because they reduce the noise from 160-180 decibels to merely 120-130 decibels (ie Rock Show, Jet Engine).

As for public buildings, like a school... holding up in those is sometimes not the best idea. I can't say anything about the construction o'er there, but o're here public buildings usually have multiple entrances and it's not uncommon for them to have giant windows as well. Securing the average school would be difficult at best, as each classroom on the first floor has multiple windows that have to be secured, and the hallways themselves have exits. Comparatively speaking, a house has just a few windows and doors. Now, granted a house is a lot smaller, but if you're overcrowding a house you probably have the manpower to safely secure a large public building.

Then again, you may also have the manpower to secure multiple homes and semi-secure them from each other, so that if one home fell the others wouldn't necessarily fall immediately.

*Rolling Truck Zombie Killer - needs at least 2 people, preferably 5. Person 1 drives the truck to a large open area (large field, parking lot, etc) and keeps watch while driving. Person 2-3 lie in the bed of the truck with the bed door down, aiming behind the truck. Person 4 holds an extra rifle or two, and has the ammo, also keeps watch. Initially, the group makes as much noise as possible so as to attract Zombies. Person 1 drives in a slow circle, roughly matching speed of the horde but retaining maneuverability should something unexpected happen. Persons 2 and 3 fire at the horde, reducing their numbers. When out of ammo, they simply swap rifles with Person 4, who then reloads the weapon. Person 5 rides shotgun and just keeps an eye out for the unexpected.

Like I said, you *can* do it with as few 2, but 5 means it's safer for everyone involved.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Well now, a silencer (I choose to use the term silencer for historical reasons. The first was named the Maxim silencer.) will not actually reduce the velocity of the round. I mean, it'll be less than if that entire length was real barrel, but more than if you just chopped it off before the silencer. The most important reason why you might want one isn't really to keep zombies from hearing you, it's more so that if you can discharge your weapon multiple times without hearing protection and not do permanent damage (to your ears. Whatever you're shooting at is going to get permanent damage either way.)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

It's going to depend on how the suppressor works, but yes.. some of them work on the principle of reducing gas pressure which, as a byproduct, reduces velocity of the round.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

As long as they don't reduce it below ambient pressure, more barrel is always going to be better than less barrel. Ignoring actual interference with the bullet, like you might get with wipes.

Arabascan

Postby Arabascan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

And however, a silencer is always useful. A supressed rifle is good for distances. And yes, if you shoot a zombie, you normally have a problem. But sometimes, you may have to clean up. And if you have to, then you must shoot. Killing hundreds of Z. with melee weapons is... ineffective.

'bout the school: There are 2 entrances and large windows. But the stairs to the upper floors can be easily barricaded with the stuff in the school. And in the upper floors, big windows aren't that bad. It's too high to climb there (if you are a zombie) and if you don't want to be seen, you simply use curtains.

And the kind of zombie is important. For example: A "28 days later"-zombie is something completely else then a Solenum-zombie. First ones are much quicker, can infect others easily and fast but don't need headshots to be killed. These zombies are more realistic. Why?

There are already some fungi who can infect the brain and control the mind (http://www.youtube.com/user/Rabascan?feature=mhum#p/a/f/0/XuKjBIBBAL8). Creating a biological weapon that makes the victims dumb and agressive wouldn't be that difficult. These "zombies" would be alive. But they wouldn't lose their body abilities such as running and jumping. The infection time may change.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:26 am UTC

I say rev up the magma pumps, and dig a long entrance corridor with 10 Serrated Discs per weapon trap.
What do you mean life is not Dwarf Fortress?
Goddamn that makes things much harder.

Problem with zombies is that they are so damn numerous. There are two solutions.
1) Move to the desert/alaska with ample supplies of food/drink. Zombies can't protect themselves against extreme temperatures. Undead zombies have it even worse with no temp regulation and would freeze/dry very quickly.
2) Get some military equipement and set up some kind of automated defenses. Would electricity work? Best bet would be motion tracking turrets, but there are several issues such as set-up time, ammo, and all that shit.
3) Get eaten.

Arabascan

Postby Arabascan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:00 am UTC

Mustn't be that hard. You just need a place you can easily defend, some people and a good discipline. I would take an island close to the mainland but without a bridge or something. There will be incoming zombies but not that much. You can set up a few defense shelters and defend yourself with melee weapons.

And in the desert or arctic zone may be few zombies but the risk of starving is quite high. Zombies aren't your only problem, you shouldn't forget that.

LAN-f34r

Postby LAN-f34r » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:03 am UTC

It all depends on the "rules". In the traditional zombie "rules", I am a short run to a church and live in a rural area, so a break for holy water is an easy way to defeat the horde.

However, in the more modern "rabid human rules", I grab a gun, a knife, food, water and get in a car and beeline for the nearest boat. Long run, it depends on the zombie's mutations. Do they learn to swim? Do they gather in places with food? Do they die off without human flesh to eat?

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:36 am UTC

LAN-f34r wrote:It all depends on the "rules". In the traditional zombie "rules", I am a short run to a church and live in a rural area, so a break for holy water is an easy way to defeat the horde.
Are you talking about "The Serpent and the Rainbow" zombies? Man, don't hear those mentioned a lot.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

I've been working on a design for a faceguard that does not block peripheral vision, but would stop liquids from entering all of the orifaces on your face during CQC. Only problem is finding a sturdy enough material that is fog resistant.

The EGE wrote:

Arabascan

Postby Arabascan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

Not enough protection from underneath, material can drip through the top, peripheral vision is limited, and the plastic fogs up easily. At least, the one I wore that I borrowed from my SF friend did.

The EGE wrote:

Arabascan

Postby Arabascan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

I don't think that real anti riot helmets have these problems. But OK, what about this one? This will protect your face from everything.

Return to “Gaming”