Star Wars Tabletop RPG

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

thecommabandit

Star Wars Tabletop RPG

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:09 pm UTC

Can't see I've seen many tabletop threads in here recently, regardless of everything else supposedly being a "lesser variety" of gaming, so here goes.

So how about Star Wars PnP? I've never actually played tabletop before (I'm a bit young to have played it in what I have assumed was its hayday) but I'm going to start my experience fairly soon - hopefully I'll be able to play with a few people in a multi-game guild through the Fantasy Grounds software. SWSE seems like a simple ruleset so I don't think I'm going to have too much trouble getting used to it, especially since I've already had a gentle introduction to D&D through Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 and an extremely dumbed-down version of it in KotOR 1 and 2. Still, should be fun.

I was just wondering if any xkcders have played tabletop Star Wars and how they found it. Comparisons to other systems, whatever. I just wanna talk about it =D

FACM

Re: Star Wars Tabletop RPG

Postby FACM » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

I have issues playing anything P&P based on a license, with Star Wars being the worst offender. There's always someone who knows way too much about said property to allow you to do what you want. I don't care if George Lucas forbade it, I'mma play me a Jedi Wookie.

The other, slightly harder to see side effect is that most licensed property is good because of the characters, and the setting itself is pretty generic. Either expect to be playing a party very similar to the pop culture heroes, or wonder why you couldn't have the game in a generic setting. The Serenity RPG falls pretty squarely into this problem.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: Star Wars Tabletop RPG

Postby Belial » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

I've had a good time. Most of the games I've played have been set in relatively un-covered eras, though, so people geeking the historical bits to death haven't been a problem.

SWSE is solid in most places, but I really preferred a lot of aspects of SWR, and as such I've cobbled together a horrible frankenstein PDF of rules from both games stitched together into a convincing simulacrum of game. So our group is gonna go with that.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Return to “Gaming”