Text Based MMO's (MUDS!)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Text Based MMO's (MUDS!)

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:24 am UTC

I'm sure SOMEONE here was into these. Gemstone and Dragonrealms owned me in middle school and on and off in highschool. OWNED. I still play occasionally. Any other players? Other games?

Cyphlance, Riame, Jhalius, Kandalas, Jhian in case I've run into any of you anywhere anytime. Put up your names! (I don't care what level or shit, just wanna know if you killed me or healed me or something)
Last edited by Izawwlgood on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:31 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mandiful

Re: Text Based MMO's

Postby Mandiful » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:26 am UTC

Oh God.
It was basically my entire life all throughout middle school and the first year of High School.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Text Based MMO's seems a weird way to say it. You do mean MUDs / MOOs / etc, right?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Mandiful

Postby Mandiful » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:37 am UTC

I did MUDs and I also did it via a Chat Room and a Message Boards (such a neeeeeeerd.)

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:02 am UTC

I played a Discworld based MUD for a while, which did pretty well on the flavour and was fun. SlothMUD III was also good.

Nowadays I'm spoiled by modern Interactive Fiction though, and I have a really hard time adjusting back to primitive parsers. Which is good, in a way, stops me getting in too deep.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Years of Gemstone, starting back in the days when it was still $3/hour to access the GEnie online network. Damn game nearly ruined my credit, but it was the most immersive multiplayer experience I've ever had. I still miss it sometimes.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:45 am UTC

Played the Warhammer MUD for ages. Loads of good times were had by all.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

I started mudding a month or so before the great Toril MUD split.
Then I switched to Duris Mud, which was just like toril but with full PvP.
This MUD cost me about 3 extra years of college.

I can still remember and spam type the directions to every zone.

I mudded for over a year with no mud client and became an amazing typer as a result.

Try typing
[Bash thri-kreen] in 1 second

I used to get yelled at a lot for missing bash targets.

Praise Zmud.

No game will ever come even remotly close to the adrenaline dumps, panic, sorrow, and joy, that being good at a full pvp will bring you.

Death was full EQ loss, if they looted you. There was no level limit on pvp.

The greatest joy a gamer can ever know IMHO,
Is scouting a zone and finding that a group of 20 people have been in there for upwards of 6 hours clearing their way to the vault/throne room/ main bad guy (tiamat) ,
porting in a hit squad and jumping them in the middle of a fight, only too kill every single one of them, loot ALL their eq, and finish the zone to retrieve a 1 of a kind artifact.

Splitting the loot of a 20 man kill took HOURS.

Shratz gsays "OK, got a perm haste 3/3 cloak, who wants it?"

I tried to explain to my wife, why dying on Duris was far different than dying on other games.

"I spent over 60 man hours collecting that set of EQ, and it is gone because a group of 10 ganked me. I am going to cry for a while, then I will come to dinner."

Way too many good memories from mudding.

Ixtellor of Duris

P.S. Anyone have any good battle logs?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

I started on Federation back when it was part of AOL then moved around various MUDs, including a few fantasy, BSG and SW MUDs, finally settling on a Star Wars MUD for a while. Some friends got me on Abandoned Realms where I stayed for some time before moving back to my SW MUD. Since then I haven't played much because I can't seem to find a good one with the right number of players and interaction even if I'd love to MUD once again.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

Ahhhhh Fed! I forgot all about that place. Building planets was FUN. I also convinced my dad back when that it was a business simulator, so he paid for it :D
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

FoS

Postby FoS » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:12 am UTC

I played Materiamagica for 2 years and i have many fond memories from that time.
In fact on my monitor is a single black tourm. You'll understand if you ever got at least a 2nd classer in MM.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:30 am UTC

Am I the only one that played the other type of Text Based MMO?

MAngband used to eat up hours of my time. Very interesting community... I still remember the arguments with the then maintainer about Line of Sight algorithms...
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Boatz!

Postby Boatz! » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

NY Mafia, Starblaze, SlaveHack, UrbanDead. Yup, all dominated my high school life.
Remember, eating mushrooms is illegal on other planets. Especially Jupiter. I dunno what those guys eat. o_O

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:06 am UTC

notzeb wrote:Am I the only one that played the other type of Text Based MMO?

MAngband used to eat up hours of my time. Very interesting community... I still remember the arguments with the then maintainer about Line of Sight algorithms...
I tried a few, but couldn't get into it. While I played Moria as a child, I much prefer Nethack or Crawl now, and the only online roguelikes I could find were based on *bands. Not my taste.

On the other hand, given the ridiculous amount of time I'm spending playing GearHead I would love to play an online version of that.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:02 am UTC

I played DragonRealms for several years, starting from the summer right before the move to the web from AOL. I took a single six-month break in the time I played (during which the entire Gorbesh war happened), before quitting in 2002. My main character was a thief, so the lack of development for the guild (at the time) was one of the reasons why I left.

I briefly returned this past summer as part of the free Platinum trial, but it's just not the same anymore. Still, it's better than any MMOG I've played. Some systems and mechanics I have yet to see in graphical games, and I still prefer its experience system to any others.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:15 am UTC

I've tried a few MUDs, and they are pretty sweet. I started in the Wheel of Time MUD, tried Multi-Users of Middle Earth and Achaia for a while, and settled with BatMUD. Good times, all.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

arctanx

Postby arctanx » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

The MUDs are still going. I started off in AstroMUD which is a Circle derivative, kind of random non-RP one which was a lot of fun. I started playing after the great pwipe of '97 or so when there were a bunch of characters who had managed to exploit things in the game and the admins decided to wipe the lot after fixing the bugs.

To give you an idea of how tough that was, there were "Champions" in the game who had done 6 remort quests (each remort quest is hand-written by an Imm and has a maximum time limit of 6 months), a Hero quest, 6 more remort quests and then a Champion quest. I only got as far as failing my first remort quest, but it was fun. The game is still around too.

The other one I played a bit was Legend of the Jedi, which is a very heavily modified SWR codebase. You can't tell who people are until they're introduced and you can't see online players on the who list, etc. Very immersive.

While on LOTJ I met a bloke whom I helped build a MUD named Legend. It was an incredible world -- a sci-fi fantasy, with planets belonging to dwarves, orcs, gnomes, elves, etc. and there were something like sixteen 300+ room planets and a couple of capitol ships. Unfortunately it was way too big. It needed about a hundred people to really get going, and we only ever got as far as ten and interested petered out. Which is sad, but the way MUDs are going I think.

Still, I'm going to build a MUD server one day. It's been on my to-do list for a number of years.

Nullcline

Postby Nullcline » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:10 am UTC

Reading this thread caused me start playing 3K again. 3 Kingdoms MUD. Best MUD in the world. Name's Avent, send a tell. :D
Don't cross me.

threeletteracronym

Postby threeletteracronym » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

I used to play DragonRealms back when it was on AOL, when I was in middle school. Did anyone once play Legends of Kesmai? Now there was a game that rocked. It was basically a MMO Roguelike with a frontend. (I played Hack a bit at around the same time and I had no idea the two were related.) Nowadays I'm completely addicted to nethack.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

Are you guys considering games like Nexus War or Kingdom of Loathing as "text-based"?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I haven't MUDded in ages.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

tavarilyn

Postby tavarilyn » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:49 am UTC

-squeal- Text!! :}

I've yet to find a graphics-based MMO that beats a text-based MMO for RPing. I never was one for MUD'ing so I stick to MUSHes. If anyone here happens to like LotR or the Silmarillion, I play on both Elendor (http://www.elendor.net) and Beleriand (http://beleriand.mux.net). After the movies, the popularity skyrocketed... and eventually plummeted as those with no interest in things like grammar and punctuation and manners left by the droves. ;} New members welcome!

Tava (Tava @Bel, Tae @El)

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:34 am UTC

I am actively (as in right this very second) playing a Cyberpunk MOO.

I've been playing since 2000 or 2001 or so with some lengthy breaks here and there. Its an amazing game, though you do need to ignore the ooc/meta community most of the time. Its not that its a bad group of people playing, but a few tend to be vocal and immature with respect to one another (some bad blood thats 10 years old at this point).

If anyone is looking for a text based game to get in to I can recommend this one whole heartedly. Strict RP, permadeath, very realistic and deep world. Newb friendly* in its own way...

*We have one of the few games out there where the world itself can and will kill you for being silly. Things like setting out into the irradiated wastes with nothing to drink, jumping in giant pools of stagnant, polluted water while carrying 30kg worth of crap, jumping off of balconies or small rooves ("It said I could go 'down'!") wandering into an abandoned distillery and getting yourself asphyxiated in a half full vat of fermenting liquid... On top of that, the player base may harass your character ICly for very IC reasons (Muggings do happen. Murders do happen). If you're smart and think about what you're doing, however, you'll be alright. Plus, most of the playerbase is very helpful when it comes to answering OOC questions about syntax and the like or how to "get started" in game.

Ixtellor

MUD Stories

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

I searched and did not find this topic.

For those of you that were part of that very first generation of online gamers, or Mudders, share you stories.

The game that has come closest to a good MUD experience is WoW. WoW is not as good as a high quality MUD however.

I have several stories, but will start with this one.

Back in the long long time ago, there was a MUD called Sojourn MUD.
It was based on 2nd Edition AD&D. It was a very popular MUD, until a great war among its creators began.
It basically came down to PvP. Some people wanted hardcore PvP and others did not.

As a result, the MUD split, into
Toril MUD a NON-PvP and Duris MUD a Full PvP mud.

I got my start in mudding at the very end of sojourn, and quickly moved to Duris during the great split.

Both Muds still exist today. Although Duris is a shadow of its once glorious self.
It used to average 100-200 users on at peak hour, and I now believe it gets around 40.

Many of the major contributers from Duris and Toril, went on to help forge games like Everquest and WoW. I know there have been more successful muds like GEM, but I don't know if they were major contributers to the new graphical versious of MUDS, with the first being Ultima.

I will say that no gaming experience EVER has come close to PvP on Duris.

The first 20 times you get pkilled, you feel terrible violated, like someone punched you in the face. Equipment that might have taken weeks if not months to accumulate is now gone, as the victor can loot the loser.

In all the graphical games I know of, not a single one is full Loot. (Eve? might be close)
In WoW when you get pkilled --- no biggie.
On Duris Mud when you died, it was a major headache, that might take weeks and hundreds of hours to recover from, if ever. (Duris has several artifacts, of which there is only one in the game.) (In my long Duris career, I only "Doombringer - The Sword of Chaos" 3 times, and probably for a week total) Oh it was glorious...

Ixtellor

Xaddak

Re: Text Based MMO's (MUDS!)

Postby Xaddak » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Federation and Medievia were my two big MUDs - and yeah, I used to be on Federation back in the good ol' AOL days, too. When it was FREE, damn it.

I loved Medievia for years. And then I found City of Heroes, and it ate my life... anyway.

Medievia really ruined itself when it developed the "politics" system. It was supposed to be something like what EVE has now with the Stellar Whatever Council, basically players telling the devs through elected players what they think about the game, their ideas, wants, needs, etc. Except... somehow, for some reason, it was really annoying. As in, incredibly so. I stopped consistently playing within a month or so of the politics system coming out.

Federation, as far as I know, is still good - but I can't get back into it. It isn't worth doing the twenty million hours of trade runs to get promoted to doing MORE trade runs to get to the point where you can FINALLY start playing the game for real. And I'm not even sure if it is pay to play anymore at this point. As nice as it is to have players subscribe, they probably can't afford it as a MUD, because people will say "You want me to pay for what? Nevermind." Actually, I'm fairly certain it isn't pay to play - I seem to remember some complex system of "donations" where you could donate and get in-game benefits, which is how Medievia does it.

I also played a few Star Wars MUDs. Oh, the tales I could tell about those. Like the time I was Grand Admiral of the Imperials, landed my personal TIE Defender on a neutral planet, was taken hostage and killed for landing an Imperial warship on a planet, which was forbidden as per a treaty that 1) I had no knowledge of 2) was never told about and 3) as far as I know, was worked out by an Emperor character that no longer even existed. So on one level I can't really blame him for killing me, as it WAS good RP, but on the other it seemed like a very unreasonable expectation to ask to be upheld. "You shouldn't have done this thing you didn't know was wrong that nobody ever mentioned to you!" The guy was lucky he caught me on the ground instead of space, though - my guy sucked at ground combat, but was an expert pilot, and I had a Star Destroyer in orbit that could have shredded the wimpy pair of Pieceofflyingjunk-class cruisers* he had guarding the planet.

Part of me will always wonder what happened to the political climate in that game after the Imperial's Grand Admiral was kidnapped and assassinated. Did anyone ever find out? Did a war break out? Who knows? I wish I knew, but I was to disheartened at dying in such a silly way - I never went back, and I don't remember which of the dozens of Star Wars MUDs I played that it was.

* Not the real class name - I just can't remember, but I know they were crap
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

I remember Medevia. The owner used to post on one of the very old MUD groups. He was a MAJOR A hole. He also didn't give credit to the DIKU code creators, which made most mud codders hate him. (He claimed he had changed the code soo much he didn't have to give them credit - blasphemy)

MUD STORY #1:

When Duris first came into existance with about 100 players on at all times, the world divided into the evil races and the goodie races. The goodie races formed guilds, built guildhalls, and did zones(raids) togeather.

In the underdark where the evils lived it was a lot different. The people were quickly trying to level up, while also attempting to establish dominance. There were several guilds in the beginning, but one guild slowly started to dominate all the others.
It was called Clan Bloodlust.
After most of its members had leveled up and acquired decent equipment, they slowly began to demolish all the other evil guilds and their members. They recruited the strong into their own guild and purged all the players they considered weak.
After a while, there was only a single guild on the evil side.

They maintained their dominance by viciously 'purging' any evil players they didn't like or ones that they didn't know.

The most evil and notoriious of these players was a Duergar Assassin named Shratz.

I still remember the first time I met Shratz.

*look shratz
A very long and wicked set of equipment scrolled across my screen.
Shratz says "looking can get you killed"
Shratz STABS you in the back.
RIP.

There are hundreds of old mudders around the world, with lots in Europe, who still remember Shratz and the uneasy feeling that he projected to anyone.

I have never played any other game, where a single player held so much reverance and total aura of dominance. If shratz didn't like you, you were done and would not be playing an evil character on Duris no matter how much you wanted too or tried.

Years later, when I was friendly with Shratz, he told me that he purposely made life a living hell for people, because it caused the weak to leave and the strong to grow stronger, and prove them selves.
After more than a year of slowly proving myself and taking all the abuse that Clan Bloodlust threw at me - mostly constant death and loss of all equipment - I finally got "approved".

This lasted for two glorious years, before they purged me once again over underdark politics.

Ixtellor

P.S. MUD politics on full kill/ full loot were very intriguing.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

Nightmist. Beware the disappearing menu bar... Bleh.

Anyways, I've been playing this on and off (Mostly off) since 5th grade. It's very, very different now. Can't say anything for it now, but damn was it entertaining in the day.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

Shadic wrote:Nightmist.
Heh, wow - IIRC, that one was developed by a couple of guys who were at the same secondary school as me. Never played it myself, but at one point it seemed like nearly everyone else at the school did. I'm surprised it still exists, to be honest...

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

I spent a ridiculous amount of time on a pretty small MUD, Winds of Change. I learned about it through a few friends and it was actually hosted in the same state I lived in (Arkansas). I made a lot of really good friends on there and still keep in contact with some of them.

I created a few areas for the MUD, and at one point I was going to help with coding, but I never got enough motivation to really do anything with it. I had half a dozen or so characters I got to max level (151), and I logged a ridiculous amount of hours on my primary character. I eventually earned an Immortal character. I eventually left because I didn't like the direction the MUD was going and some of the decisions that were being made.

All in all, it was a great experience. And like Ixtellor I became really fast typist because of how much I played. I haven't checked in a while, and I'm sure I've slowed down, but I know I peaked around 120wpm.

I was never into the PVP stuff, really, except for the no-loss arena. But I usually just went in with my weakest characters to have fun and usually came out okay. After I maxed out a few characters I mostly just logged on to socialize with people, but it was still fun to get in a big group of people and go into the really tough area for equipment runs and such.

I tried out a few bigger MUDs a few times (don't remember names), but I never stuck around. I really preferred Winds of Change because it was such a small community. The larger ones were pretty intimidating sometimes, especially when I didn't know anyone or have alts to help get equipment and stuff. That was probably a big part of it, just not wanting to start from scratch.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:I am actively (as in right this very second) playing a Cyberpunk MOO.

I've been playing since 2000 or 2001 or so with some lengthy breaks here and there. Its an amazing game, though you do need to ignore the ooc/meta community most of the time. Its not that its a bad group of people playing, but a few tend to be vocal and immature with respect to one another (some bad blood thats 10 years old at this point).

If anyone is looking for a text based game to get in to I can recommend this one whole heartedly. Strict RP, permadeath, very realistic and deep world. Newb friendly* in its own way...

*We have one of the few games out there where the world itself can and will kill you for being silly.

I don't think that, combined with permadeath, is very newb-friendly at all.

jumping off of balconies or small rooves ("It said I could go 'down'!")

I'd object to this one specifically - a direction exit is supposed to be a viable way you can actually travel. No-one in the real world would attempt to jump off a roof as a way of getting to the ground. Having something have an explicit "jump off" exit would be different, since then people clearly know what they're doing (e.g. they think they can take the fall damage, or just want to kill the character off). If it's not stairs or a ladder, it shouldn't be "go down".

Would you accept "You can go north, south, east, or west" "north" "you smack into a wall and break your nose for X damage"?

Any exit that should be visually obvious that it causes damage should have a confirmation "That's a 15-foot drop, are you sure?" "There are flames shooting out of the wall into the doorway, are you sure?"

Things like setting out into the irradiated wastes with nothing to drink, jumping in giant pools of stagnant, polluted water while carrying 30kg worth of crap,

Is it possible to have the weight in your status bar / prompt? Remember, it's not nearly as easy in the real world to forget how much stuff you're carrying. Can you at least _drop_ the crap that's weighing you down in the water (and either abandon it or go back with diving gear)? Does it take into account how much something you're carrying weighs _in water_? (a full jug of water is going to weigh about the same (slightly less) underwater that it weighs empty in air. Anything less dense than water is going to have _negative_ weight underwater)

Any game mechanic detailed enough to have your inventory weigh you down in water should get these details right.

wandering into an abandoned distillery and getting yourself asphyxiated in a half full vat of fermenting liquid... On top of that, the player base may harass your character ICly for very IC reasons (Muggings do happen. Murders do happen). If you're smart and think about what you're doing, however, you'll be alright. Plus, most of the playerbase is very helpful when it comes to answering OOC questions about syntax and the like or how to "get started" in game.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

I've been really getting back into the swing of Dragonrealms, and am blown away by the depth of the game.

There are five skill sets (Weapons, armor, lore, survival, magic) each with a muck of skills (there are about 20 weapons you can pick from, 5 armors, 5 magic skills, 10 lore, 15 survival). Skills are advanced by doing them so you don't get better at picking locks from killing trolls and leveling up your lockpicking skill when you get a new level. Want to be good with a blade? Go swing a sword.

Theres an incredible diversity to be had therefor in the characters, and like 'leveled' characters often have a wildly different skill expertise.

Also, the magic, lore, and world building is unsurpassed. I've never seen it done better.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Dropzone wrote:
Shadic wrote:Nightmist.
Heh, wow - IIRC, that one was developed by a couple of guys who were at the same secondary school as me. Never played it myself, but at one point it seemed like nearly everyone else at the school did. I'm surprised it still exists, to be honest...

John (JLH) and.. Simon, or something?

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:05 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I've been really getting back into the swing of Dragonrealms, and am blown away by the depth of the game.

There are five skill sets (Weapons, armor, lore, survival, magic) each with a muck of skills (there are about 20 weapons you can pick from, 5 armors, 5 magic skills, 10 lore, 15 survival). Skills are advanced by doing them so you don't get better at picking locks from killing trolls and leveling up your lockpicking skill when you get a new level. Want to be good with a blade? Go swing a sword.

Theres an incredible diversity to be had therefor in the characters, and like 'leveled' characters often have a wildly different skill expertise.

Also, the magic, lore, and world building is unsurpassed. I've never seen it done better.

I really wish that skill-based character progression would make its way into games again. Ultima Online and Asheron's Call (EVE's system is also skill-based, but in a very different way) are the only major MMOGs that I've heard of that use it, and they're quite old by gaming standards.

Oh, and I love the lack of importance with equipment as well. You could still use that first sword you bought when you started and do well with it because it's not that drastically different from anything else you can get in the game, numbers-wise.

..and the way containers work (I think the grid system is stupid), the justice/stealing systems (you can steal from NPCs, stores, and other players; just hope you don't get caught while in a town), crafting systems (my thief once tried to make a baselard; he succeeded, but it wasn't very good), the raw number of skills (23 different types of weapons? Sweet.), the wounds/healing system (area-specific damage; if you lose a hand you drop what you're holding, and that won't get healed until you go see an empath), etc.

Really, if someone slapped 3D graphics on it I'd be there in an instant. If there were another 1000-2000 people playing the game right now I'd rejoin as-is; the main problem I have is that it feels empty these days because of how big the world is.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

If Dragonrealms economy was half as good as EvEs, or if the crafting system as fleshed out, I'd be doing nothing but.

As is, the crafting system is fairly limited (basic weapons and armor types, but only by barbarians and paladins), fletching (but only of arrows, long and short bows, not composite bows or heavy/light crossbows or any type of throwing weapon), tanning (leather armor, not bone or cloth), and a single guild enchanting (there are 3 magic primary guilds, only moon mages can enchant, and only a limited cookbook of things).

The economy is DEAD. Completely broken. High level players have laughable amounts of money, to the point that it doesn't even matter anymore. Anyone over circle 60 (given the age of the game, this is very very common) can easily make 10 plat a day, and a full set of forged adventuring gear of your choice would only cost ~50-60. Rare items, like festival items or altered items are literally one-dozen of a kind, and as such, are either not for sale or for sale at prices that don't mean anything (1000-100000000000 plat)

That said, skill based advancement, the best rp'ing around, amazingly beautifully deep world, sublimely balanced combat/magic, 13 guilds amounting to something like 6 different gameplay experiences... It's really an incredible game.

Sidenote: Dragonrealms II, known as Heroes Quest has been in the making for the last 2-3 years. Graphics based Dragonrealms... Oh my.

x2017

MUDs?

Postby x2017 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:18 am UTC

Hi out there,

just wondering - is there anyone still playing in Multi User Dungeons? They seem to have been quite popular in the 90s and some are still online today, but overall, it's like a chance of 1:10'000 to meet a mudder on the interwebs. Maybe, in this forum of geekiness, are there some of you still around? I personally am somewhat of a lazy programmer in Nightfall.

Info about MUDs in general:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-User_Dungeon
http://www.mudconnect.com/
PLEASE DELETE THIS ACCOUNT!

Vaniver

Re: MUDs?

Postby Vaniver » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Used to play one a long time ago. Am working on one now that will hopefully see the light of day.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

x2017 wrote:Hi out there,

just wondering - is there anyone still playing in Multi User Dungeons? They seem to have been quite popular in the 90s and some are still online today, but overall, it's like a chance of 1:10'000 to meet a mudder on the interwebs. Maybe, in this forum of geekiness, are there some of you still around? I personally am somewhat of a lazy programmer in Nightfall.

Info about MUDs in general:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-User_Dungeon
http://www.mudconnect.com/

I was a hardcore Mudder on a full pvp mud that still exits. Although it only gets 40 players at peek times.

I tend not to mud anymore because it is very very time consuming, the new MMORPG's are better, and the learning curves on MUDS is STEEP.

Ixtellor

x2017

Postby x2017 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I was a hardcore Mudder on a full pvp mud that still exits. Although it only gets 40 players at peek times.

OK, Nightfall is at about ten at maximum. But it's more like a huge chatroom with some nice extras than a game, at least for the High-Level-Players and wizards.
Ixtellor wrote:I tend not to mud anymore because it is very very time consuming, the new MMORPG's are better, and the learning curves on MUDS is STEEP.

It keeps out the total idiots. People who want to read and therefore able to mud rarely go like "Oh me yarm U g0t pwnd f4gg0t!!111". Of course, nowadays, there aren't that many people like these anymore.
PLEASE DELETE THIS ACCOUNT!

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

I used to devotedly play an obscure M:tG MUD called DominiaMUD. Had some good times.

Some three years ago, I took up Aetolia, a dark RP-oriented game. Good times there too, but I lost interest again in the last year or so.

(Also very briefly played Wheel of Time MUD, but that's hardly worth mentioning.)

I haven't managed to stay interested in any graphical MMOs for much longer than a few months; MMO's of all sorts just seem to have a time-limit for me. Still, this thread peaks my interest again... I see a lot of people mentioning Dragonrealms, maybe I'll look into that.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Indon

Postby Indon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

The only MUD I played significantly was an obscure one called Rock II: Crashed Plane. The community was really awesome until MUD downtime eventually lead to the community disintegrating.

I don't know if it might still be up.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Return to “Gaming”