Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

invsinerd
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby invsinerd » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:35 am UTC

I've just watched a new demo clip of the upcoming, and much hyped, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and I have to express my utter, complete, all-encompassing disappointment in the way this game is being made. Am I alone in my disappointment? It's literally as if the developers sat down and said "All right, lets make a cool new Star Wars game which incorporates all the silly shit from the prequel trilogy TIMES TEN and ignores all of the gritty, honest and genuinely COOL aspects of the universe which made the original SW films such a success." I mean come on, where are the tense dogfights, awe-inspiring yet somehow believable lightsaber duels, and the grungy, lived in environments of my cinematic youth? Where is the force as I knew it: the magical energy that allowed that amazing little green fellow to pull a star fighter with slow elegance from the depths of a murky swamp? Where are the interesting, amusing and lovable characters and the dark and tragic villains? Apparently, all of the things which I loved about Star Wars were just too "leashed" for these artisans of the interactive. They said "Ha! Fuck that shit, we're pulling the ripcord on this bitch! SHAZAAM!", and they proceeded to turn the Force into yet another excuse to shamelessly flaunt ridiculous physics engines and wholly pointless and unrealistic AI (Hey look! Those stormtroopers are GRABBING ONTO the crates that I throw at them! Man, this is a full and rich entertainment experience if I've ever seen one!) and turn the once elegant and mysterious guiding power of a galaxy far far away into an instrument of raw blunt trauma. That's my opinion at least, I'd love to hear yours.

User avatar
Marlowe
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Marlowe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

Probably because Lucasarts don't make good games anymore. They're flogging the dead bantha Star Wars with foaming mouths.

How many Star Wars games have there been? How many were any good? X-Wing (maybe), KotOR (not the second) and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight. However, there's a lot of idiots out in the gaming market, which is why no one bought The Dig, or Full Throttle and Lucasarts stopped making games like Day of the Tentacle.
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Marlowe wrote:Probably because Lucasarts don't make good games anymore. They're flogging the dead bantha Star Wars with foaming mouths.

How many Star Wars games have there been? How many were any good? X-Wing (maybe), KotOR (not the second) and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight. However, there's a lot of idiots out in the gaming market, which is why no one bought The Dig, or Full Throttle and Lucasarts stopped making games like Day of the Tentacle.


Battlefront was good.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25964
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Marlowe wrote:Probably because Lucasarts don't make good games anymore. They're flogging the dead bantha Star Wars with foaming mouths.

How many Star Wars games have there been? How many were any good? X-Wing (maybe), KotOR (not the second) and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight. However, there's a lot of idiots out in the gaming market, which is why no one bought The Dig, or Full Throttle and Lucasarts stopped making games like Day of the Tentacle.


Battlefront was good.


It was better when I first played it and it was called Battlefield 1942. (ha ha!)

Seriously, it was like they took the multiplayer parts of the later Jedi Knight series and made a game of nothing but that. It was mediocre at best, sad and derivative at worst.

I want another Maniac Mansion.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Durandal
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:12 am UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Durandal » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

.
Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Marlowe
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Marlowe » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Durandal wrote:How about Star Wars: Episode One Racer? That was by far my favorite game on the N64. It was just so freaking fun! Imagine what it would be like if it were on a current-generation system (graphics-wise), and if they built upon the market system... plus multiplayer would be unreal :D


Ep. 1 Racers was indeed very good, I should have included that. Republic Commando was alright for a time too. And Battlefront was meh at best.

D-U-R-A-N-D-A-L, eh? Trouble, if you ask me.
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2610
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby wst » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

Durandal wrote:How about Star Wars: Episode One Racer? That was by far my favorite game on the N64. It was just so freaking fun! Imagine what it would be like if it were on a current-generation system (graphics-wise), and if they built upon the market system... plus 64-player multiplayer would be unreal :D



Fix'd
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

User avatar
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy
Posts: 3609
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: where the wind takes me

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

I should have known to be ready for disappointment when George Lucas was directly overseeing the story.

I am still looking forward to the new physics/AI engines though, if nothing else, playing with those should be fun.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

User avatar
Durandal
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:12 am UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Durandal » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

.
Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Torvaun » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:10 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I should have known to be ready for disappointment when George Lucas was directly overseeing the story.

I am still looking forward to the new physics/AI engines though, if nothing else, playing with those should be fun.

Hell yeah. I don't play Star Wars games for the Star Wars, these days. I play them because we haven't had any other games with badass telekinesis. Well, except for PsyOps, which started to suck on astounding levels when you got to that temple.

I'm just disappointed that this doesn't appear to be coming out for the PC. That's the only next gen system I've got.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Mo0man
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Location: 2 weeks ago

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Mo0man » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:15 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:I should have known to be ready for disappointment when George Lucas was directly overseeing the story.

I am still looking forward to the new physics/AI engines though, if nothing else, playing with those should be fun.

Hell yeah. I don't play Star Wars games for the Star Wars, these days. I play them because we haven't had any other games with badass telekinesis. Well, except for PsyOps, which started to suck on astounding levels when you got to that temple.

I'm just disappointed that this doesn't appear to be coming out for the PC. That's the only next gen system I've got.

Dude, lightsabers in Jedi Academy
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Torvaun » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:23 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:
Torvaun wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:I should have known to be ready for disappointment when George Lucas was directly overseeing the story.

I am still looking forward to the new physics/AI engines though, if nothing else, playing with those should be fun.

Hell yeah. I don't play Star Wars games for the Star Wars, these days. I play them because we haven't had any other games with badass telekinesis. Well, except for PsyOps, which started to suck on astounding levels when you got to that temple.

I'm just disappointed that this doesn't appear to be coming out for the PC. That's the only next gen system I've got.

Dude, lightsabers in Jedi Academy

...Yeah, that's a Star Wars game.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5389
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby mosc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

I've always thought there was great potential for a re-make of episode 1 Racer. Simply putting a new coat of paint on it would get you a lot of happy fans. Adding in full multiplayer, leader boards, and removing most of the bugs would make your game sell hotcakes. Any added content would almost be optional!
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
kwub
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby kwub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

Marlowe wrote:Probably because Lucasarts don't make good games anymore. They're flogging the dead bantha Star Wars with foaming mouths.

How many Star Wars games have there been? How many were any good? X-Wing (maybe), KotOR (not the second) and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight. However, there's a lot of idiots out in the gaming market, which is why no one bought The Dig, or Full Throttle and Lucasarts stopped making games like Day of the Tentacle.


I have no idea what in Thrawn's name you're talking about. Star Wars is still far and above the best licensed series out there, the closest competitor I can think of being the Marvel Universe or Lord of the Rings. Over the years it's been host to some of the most entertaining games around. Rogue Squadron is one of the most prestigious space combat game series in history, Episode 1 Racer is considered an F-Zero killer any day, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight (as you pointed out) are incredibly entertaining FPS/action hybrids with some insanely good mod support, Kotor is probably my favorite RPG of all time, the X-Wing titles (again, as you mentioned) were practically classics, Lego Star Wars is a hilarious and family-friendly timewaster that never really gets old, Battlefront is one of the most popular battle shooter series around (for good reason), Empire at War is a solid (and occasionally stellar) RTS experience unlike anything else out there, Republic Commando was an excellent squad-based shooter for its time, and Shadows of the Empire was just plain fun.
How anyone could call foul at the use of the license is something I'll never understand.

invsinerd
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby invsinerd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

kwub wrote:I have no idea what in Thrawn's name you're talking about. Star Wars is still far and above the best licensed series out there, the closest competitor I can think of being the Marvel Universe or Lord of the Rings. Over the years it's been host to some of the most entertaining games around. Rogue Squadron is one of the most prestigious space combat game series in history, Episode 1 Racer is considered an F-Zero killer any day, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight (as you pointed out) are incredibly entertaining FPS/action hybrids with some insanely good mod support, Kotor is probably my favorite RPG of all time, the X-Wing titles (again, as you mentioned) were practically classics, Lego Star Wars is a hilarious and family-friendly timewaster that never really gets old, Battlefront is one of the most popular battle shooter series around (for good reason), Empire at War is a solid (and occasionally stellar) RTS experience unlike anything else out there, Republic Commando was an excellent squad-based shooter for its time, and Shadows of the Empire was just plain fun.
How anyone could call foul at the use of the license is something I'll never understand.


Hmm... well I can't say I agree with you on Battlefront, Republic Commando and Empire at War, and all the other games (excepting KOTOR and Lego SW, of course) are now quite dated. My point was (and yes, even though I think KOTOR is a fantastic game, I do think that this applies) that there has never been a game that has REALLY captured the essence of what makes the original films such classics. I'm a big fan of RPGs like KOTOR, but you have to admit, it's a little hard to build an interesting, believable and compelling main protagonist when you have to account for things like choice and customization. This is why I think games like Jedi Academy (NOT a stellar game, I'm not claiming that) are closer to the right track than games like KOTOR. I say cast the player as a character (YES to believability, NO to superficial "customization") and lead them through a well thought out, interesting, scripted (this is not a bad word, especially when talking about a franchise based upon FILMS) space opera plot set in the ORIGINAL star wars universe, not this new and strange realm of mediclorians (probably not the correct spelling, but who cares, they're fucking stupid) and whiny emo force supermen. Why not give it a try? I guarantee you it would be more successfull than Ewoks: The Battle for Endor.

User avatar
lowbart
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:00 pm UTC
Location: northeastern USA
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby lowbart » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I've always thought there was great potential for a re-make of episode 1 Racer. Simply putting a new coat of paint on it would get you a lot of happy fans. Adding in full multiplayer, leader boards, and removing most of the bugs would make your game sell hotcakes. Any added content would almost be optional!


Hells jeah. I'd get it.

My friends and spent so many hours at a time just trying to beat each other's times when we were nine or ten. And eleven. And twelve. I'd love to try to beat 1200MPH in the zero-G tubes on Oovo IV with modern graphics.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

Personally, I don't really care if it doesn't "feel" like the original movies, as long as it's a fun game. Yeah, they could do it without a license, but Star Wars sells. Is Lucasarts developing this in-house or farming it out like all the best Star Wars games of the past many years?

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30448
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I've always thought there was great potential for a re-make of episode 1 Racer. Simply putting a new coat of paint on it would get you a lot of happy fans. Adding in full multiplayer, leader boards, and removing most of the bugs would make your game sell hotcakes. Any added content would almost be optional!


It would be so badass on the wii...
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Marlowe
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Marlowe » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

Belial wrote:It would be so badass on the wii...



YES YES YES

With a gigantic televison, surround sound and in first person this would be amazing. Also, multiplayer!




And SO many star wars games have basicly ridden the Star Wars wave of success and are biased because of it. Force Commander wasn't THAT good, and there's been so many titles which everyone has forgotten about because they're so bad. Just because the game has a Star Wars license and Stormtroopers doesn't mean it's going to be good!

Rebel Assault? Shadows of the Empire? Super-Bombad Racing? Bounty Hunter? Masters of Teras-Kasi? Need I go on?

There are good Star Wars games, but there's a lot more chaf than wheat.
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

User avatar
kwub
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby kwub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Marlowe wrote:
Belial wrote:
There are good Star Wars games, but there's a lot more chaf than wheat.


I'd say it's about equal, and most of the "chaff" was released years ago on the PS1 or was one of the direct movie tie-ins (which are generally either fairly standard or above par for video games). I'd say that on the whole there has been a lot more good (and awesome) out of the franchise than bad, so I really don't see how anyone can complain.

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
mosc wrote:I've always thought there was great potential for a re-make of episode 1 Racer. Simply putting a new coat of paint on it would get you a lot of happy fans. Adding in full multiplayer, leader boards, and removing most of the bugs would make your game sell hotcakes. Any added content would almost be optional!


It would be so badass on the wii...

Other than using the remote and nunchuck as actual handles like the arcade game, which I'm not sure would work all that well, I don't see why either the PS3 or 360 couldn't do it just as well or better since their controllers have actual analog triggers, plus you get better graphics and online capabilities.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30448
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Played the sting ray race in Mario Galaxy yet?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5389
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby mosc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:
mosc wrote:I've always thought there was great potential for a re-make of episode 1 Racer. Simply putting a new coat of paint on it would get you a lot of happy fans. Adding in full multiplayer, leader boards, and removing most of the bugs would make your game sell hotcakes. Any added content would almost be optional!


Hells jeah. I'd get it.

My friends and spent so many hours at a time just trying to beat each other's times when we were nine or ten. And eleven. And twelve. I'd love to try to beat 1200MPH in the zero-G tubes on Oovo IV with modern graphics.

quadranaro gets a lot faster than that. I think that sucker hits like 1450MPH
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Played the sting ray race in Mario Galaxy yet?

Yeah, it's awful and I would never buy a full game with those controls. It's not really a good representation of podracing controls, either.

User avatar
Chrismclegless
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Sigma 957
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Chrismclegless » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

It depends what you're looking for when you buy a game. TFU looks like it could be a great game, as long as you don't go into it thinking that you want something deep or gritty - If all you want to do is throw crates at people and fry them with magical lightning, excellent, this is the game for you, who cares that it's Star Wars?
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

cORilliEN
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby cORilliEN » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

The wii version will have the wii-mote as light saber advantage but they're not going to be able to have the same level of physics and graphics (duh).

Plus, I've heard that while the wii-mote as saber thing can be cool, they're not doing a one-to-one deal with it. In other words, the lightsaber on screen won't track exactly what you do with the wii-mote, but will allow you to have a bunch of basic moves (swing left/right, up/down, diagonal, etc.).

I'd love to see a Jedi Knight game that brings back Kyle Katarn but throws him into a situation from the expanded universe novels. They include him in the books so why not have a game that takes the books into account? That's one of the things that's been bugging me recently - the fact that Lucas______ (films, arts, whatevers) gives the OK for these various works but then they rarely tie into each other. It's like, if GL knew the basic idea of the prequels, why'd he sign off on all these books that now seem contradictory given what happened in the prequels?

Anyway, back to the point - it'd be cool to see what Kyle Katarn was doing during the whole Yu'uzhan Vong (spelling?) war. You could use the Force to detect the Vong - everyone but them has an aura; tie in some flight simming a la Shadows of the Empire and use the Jedi Stealth X's, shadow-bombs, stutter fire, etc.; have some really amazing lightsaber/amphistaff battles. Get someone like Matthew Stover or Mike Stackpole to write the story. It'd be ace.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25964
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

cORilliEN wrote: It's like, if GL knew the basic idea of the prequels, why'd he sign off on all these books that now seem contradictory given what happened in the prequels?


Because he had no idea, and rather than having a script or even a general plotline years in advance, he just sorta threw everything together the night before shooting the films while all hopped up on cocaine and cough medicine.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

cORilliEN
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby cORilliEN » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
cORilliEN wrote: It's like, if GL knew the basic idea of the prequels, why'd he sign off on all these books that now seem contradictory given what happened in the prequels?


Because he had no idea, and rather than having a script or even a general plotline years in advance, he just sorta threw everything together the night before shooting the films while all hopped up on cocaine and cough medicine.


OHHHHHHHH!!! It makes so much more sense now.

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5389
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby mosc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

I attest that Episode 3 was well written and well produced although the directing sucked (I realize he did all three roles). You can rip all you want on 1&2 though. "Mi'sah... see your point" on those.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
Marlowe
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Marlowe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:13 am UTC

mosc wrote:I attest that Episode 3 was well written and well produced although the directing sucked (I realize he did all three roles). You can rip all you want on 1&2 though. "Mi'sah... see your point" on those.


Well written?



NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

User avatar
cyberdeftly
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:59 am UTC
Location: The Black Hills

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby cyberdeftly » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Lucas Arts could do well in making a good Star Wars rpg. There used to be one a long time ago that played like Zelda on NES that was super fun. They made an Indiana Jones version as well that played exactly the same except instead of lightsabers...whips. If they could modernize that, maybe Oblivionize it...I'd play it. Than again, I'm sure there's a mod for Oblivion letting you play with a lightsaber...but no force mods.

The Force Unleashed looks pretty fun. I'll agree it doesn't look as cinematic/dramatic as it could be. They've really taken away the mystery of the force and have said "alright, go throw some shit around. we know you can do it". I think Star Wars games should go in a different direction and have half the game with the force power at your will, than have you lose and have to gain it back (like that book where Luke's gf loses it) and than get it back, defeat the bad guys etc etc. That wouldn't be too shabby and would give the opportunity to show the mystery of the force and let us explore the whole idea of its power and what it's like to be a jedi that doesn't have it etc etc etc I'm rambling, but I think you get what I'm saying.

oh and if anyone can remember or figure out what those star wars/indiana jones games i was talking above were that would be super because i can't seem to recollect or look it up on the internet as google is picky

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out on gamespot. They were called Desktop Adventures with Indiana Jones and than another with Star Wars called Yoda Stories. lol I had so much fun playing those games.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/in ... bs;summary
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/yo ... lt;title;2

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby zenten » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:09 am UTC

Marlowe wrote:Probably because Lucasarts don't make good games anymore. They're flogging the dead bantha Star Wars with foaming mouths.

How many Star Wars games have there been? How many were any good? X-Wing (maybe), KotOR (not the second) and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight. However, there's a lot of idiots out in the gaming market, which is why no one bought The Dig, or Full Throttle and Lucasarts stopped making games like Day of the Tentacle.


Lego Star Wars was good.

User avatar
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Location: St. Heraldwulf's Stone
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Will » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Belial wrote:Played the sting ray race in Mario Galaxy yet?


HATE HATE HATE. That was the one thing I couldn't stand about Mario Galaxy (the rest of the game was awesome.) I finished both races and never looked back.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30448
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Belial » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:59 am UTC

Really? I enjoyed it. I just had to figure out the correct way to hold the controller to make it work.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
Marlowe wrote:Probably because Lucasarts don't make good games anymore. They're flogging the dead bantha Star Wars with foaming mouths.

How many Star Wars games have there been? How many were any good? X-Wing (maybe), KotOR (not the second) and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight. However, there's a lot of idiots out in the gaming market, which is why no one bought The Dig, or Full Throttle and Lucasarts stopped making games like Day of the Tentacle.


Lego Star Wars was good.

And wasn't developed by LucasArts. Neither were KOTOR or Jedi Knight, for that matter.

As for Lucas's knowledge of the prequel stories, he may have had a general idea of what the stories would be, but not to the point that he'd written full backgrounds for every character decades prior. I also doubt he personally signs off on the books and has someone (or someones) who do it for him.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25964
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:As for Lucas's knowledge of the prequel stories, he may have had a general idea of what the stories would be, but not to the point that he'd written full backgrounds for every character decades prior. I also doubt he personally signs off on the books and has someone (or someones) who do it for him.


Assuming they give a shit, they've got a couple of nerds guys on staff who's only job is to make sure that shit produced under Banner A doesn't directly contradict shit produced under Banner B.

I don't think they give a shit.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:As for Lucas's knowledge of the prequel stories, he may have had a general idea of what the stories would be, but not to the point that he'd written full backgrounds for every character decades prior. I also doubt he personally signs off on the books and has someone (or someones) who do it for him.


Assuming they give a shit, they've got a couple of nerds guys on staff who's only job is to make sure that shit produced under Banner A doesn't directly contradict shit produced under Banner B.

I don't think they give a shit.

Eh, the official word is that the book people can write pretty much whatever, but if a movie comes along and contradicts it, too bad, so sad. Star Trek is the same way.

User avatar
Reality Czech
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:12 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Reality Czech » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

I'm sure this viewpoint will cause me to be branded a heretic, but IMO, if The Force Unleased is fun to play I think I'll enjoy it, whether it's consistent with the Star Wars universe or not. If they were able to make a game that genuinely felt like another Star Wars episode (and bonus points for making it surpass the most recent three) that'd be great, but I don't think it's... y'know, necessary.

Some games have genuine narrative appeal, and some don't. I don't dislike Tetris due to its lack of plot, and I don't think I'll object to The Force unleashed failing to stay in step with Lucas' cinematic vision.
Using a clumsy analogy is like waving a muskrat at an encyclopedia set.

User avatar
kwub
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby kwub » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Reality Czech wrote:Some games have genuine narrative appeal, and some don't. I don't dislike Tetris due to its lack of plot, and I don't think I'll object to The Force unleashed failing to stay in step with Lucas' cinematic vision.


Amen. Besides which, my opinion of Lucas's "cinematic vision" is not at a particularly favorable point to begin with. The fact that he did not direct the only two truly great Star Wars films (the two to which I am referring should be obvious) leads me to believe that the man is little more than a hack (albeit one with occasional fluke success), especially considering his affinity for re-releasing his films every couple years with new bullshit "improvements" aimed at expanding the size of his Scrooge McDuckian swimming pool.
Episodes 1, 2, and 3 are all the evidence I need that if this man ever had any real talent to begin with he has certainly lost it since. His "vision" isn't worth a rat's ass to me, and as long as Star Wars video games are good games (which they generally are), I will continue to play them.

User avatar
Reality Czech
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:12 pm UTC

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Reality Czech » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

kwub wrote: Besides which, my opinion of Lucas's "cinematic vision" is not at a particularly favorable point to begin with.

That's basically what I was thinking, it's ok to miss the mark if the mark is garbage.
kwub wrote: His "vision" isn't worth a rat's ass to me, and as long as Star Wars video games are good games (which they generally are), I will continue to play them.

Yup. The Force may not be all about smashing and zapping and flinging stormtroopers into burning orphanages, but if they can render that experience in a viscerally satisfying manner, I'm all for it. Maybe I'm just not a people person.... hehe, burning orphanages.
Using a clumsy analogy is like waving a muskrat at an encyclopedia set.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests