Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Joeldi

Re: Star Wars: The Farce Unleashed

Postby Joeldi » Mon May 05, 2008 7:32 am UTC

cORilliEN wrote:The wii version will have the wii-mote as light saber advantage but they're not going to be able to have the same level of physics and graphics (duh).

Plus, I've heard that while the wii-mote as saber thing can be cool, they're not doing a one-to-one deal with it. In other words, the lightsaber on screen won't track exactly what you do with the wii-mote, but will allow you to have a bunch of basic moves (swing left/right, up/down, diagonal, etc.).

:'(
Watching the trailer, the way some of the force powers and animations that of seemed to work, I had myself convinced that all that force gripping and big explosion thing would be wii-mote wii-mote wii-mote.

Fuck getting it if it'll just be another tacky swing wiimote+hurt wrist to attack.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue May 06, 2008 10:02 am UTC

Sometime, they need to make a completely dedicated sword-fighting game for the Wii. Something that tracks the movement of the wiimote and moves the sword accordingly with lots of tactics, so you can block, parry and riposte properly if you have the skill. Wii Fencing? It needs to NOT be in the graphical style of Wii sports. It needs to be HARDxCORE... or something.

Still, I'd buy a Wii for that. And No More Heroes and Twilight Princess.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue May 06, 2008 10:18 am UTC

cORilliEN wrote:Plus, I've heard that while the wii-mote as saber thing can be cool, they're not doing a one-to-one deal with it. In other words, the lightsaber on screen won't track exactly what you do with the wii-mote, but will allow you to have a bunch of basic moves (swing left/right, up/down, diagonal, etc.).

[Luke]Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo![/Luke]

/me jumps off a pointless antenna structure into a conveniently placed shaft 500m below
ImageImageImageImageImage

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Sat May 10, 2008 4:36 am UTC

Force Unleashed may not be worth getting for the 360 or PS3, but for the Wii Oh me yarm. Force powers on the nunchuck(sp?) and lightsaber on the wiimote? The ability to ACTUALLY TARGET, PICK UP, AND THROW ENEMIES WITH YOUR ARM? Seriously the biggest geekasm since the Gravity Gun/Portal Device.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun May 11, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

yeah but... where's the fun if you dont have good physics? that's WHY the grabbing throwing stuff is cool--you have euphoria, and the one that breaks materials in specific ways (forget the name right now)--and all kinds of cool physics things.
You don't HAVE that in the wii, so it seems like it'd be muhc less fun.
uhhhh fuck.

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I attest that Episode 3 was well written and well produced although the directing sucked (I realize he did all three roles). You can rip all you want on 1&2 though. "Mi'sah... see your point" on those.

Counterexample:

Obi-Wan: Anakin, the Sith are evil!
Anakin: From my point of view the Jedi are evil!

Brilliant......

As far as the OP: TFU (every time I see that, I think someone misspelled "STFU" or something) looks like trash to me. LucasArts is basically where good Star-Wars related ideas go to die. Star Wars: Rebellion comes to mind.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:36 am UTC

After playing the real game for a while, I would say that it is pretty awesome.

Like a lot of reviewers have said, I think the technology they have running with it is a little ahead of its time but they pull it off reasonably well. The DMM (Digital molecular matter, i think) is pretty neat.
The game itself can be incredibly frustrating, especially the boss fights. The story is what really draws me (duh)

I personally think the plot is great(so far anyway) and they really did a great job with the apprentice.

I think those fellows at penny arcade said it much better than me. (they could probably say anything better than I)

Spoiler:
I really liked The Force Unleashed in its largely theoretical demo form, but the finished product (at least, on the 360 and PS3) is significantly harder to love. Significantly, as in, I doubt very seriously that Gabriel will complete it. I have done so, culminating both of the game's moral vectors, largely to verify my prior assertion: that they were prepared to deliver a significant, substantial middle chapter. This has absolutely occurred. And if you can find someone else to play the game while you watch, you might be approaching the optimal scenario.

When you are in relatively large environments, amorally doling out grievous injuries with the help of an omnipresent Force, it really seems as though everything is going to be alright. As one cuts a swath through the universe, you gain "levels," which confer a kind of currency on three distinct tracks of development. The guy you played in the demo is some kind of Star Pimp - you have a long way to go before you reach those heights. Generally, you can do things how you want to and still succeed.

Things go less well at virtually any other time. Battles against "boss" characters often feel strangely disconnected from the rest of the game, outside of the skills and techniques you've developed. Strange sound bugs, long falls that don't kill the player but trap them forever outside of the game. Rude, abrupt cutscenes that ransack narrative pace. Pulling a Star Destroyer into a Space Station should have been one of this year's best moments - but the way they chose to model this in gameplay completely ruins it. An odd feedback mechanism combined with a frankly inscrutable user interface and zero help for the player turns the moment to ash.

Much as been made of their materials simulation and physics technologies, and depending on the material being simulated, the results can be extremely compelling. Other things, like Vader's cape let's say, in the first five minutes of play, just look wrong in a way that animation by hand could never achieve. The material this cape is made from - I'm hesitant to call it cloth - takes its orders from some bizarre parallel dimension, flexing and jiving in time to some secret music. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, it's more good than bad, but there are moments where we glimpse a radical interpretation of physical law.

I look on the time I invested with affection, but only in the final accounting - and even then, you and I would almost certainly weigh things differently. The art is far, far beyond anything they've done to date - the environments, the costumes, everything aches with heft and purpose. They've presented a story here that really, honestly makes you think about Star Wars. It is very rarely Star Wars of the jubilant, all-ages, "Jub Jub!" variety. If you've seen the Clone Wars movie, you know it to be a greasy tendril to snare young people. This is not. This doesn't feel like the sometimes controversial Expanded Universe. There are moments where it feels like new Star Wars, something I would never have thought possible.

All in all, most definitely worth a rental if your Star Wars nut.

Bisyss

Postby Bisyss » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

This is going to sound odd, but am I the only one disappointed by the plot? When the game was announced, I had visions of playing as a Jedi and having to survive the Purge against increasing odds. The fact that you're actually playing as someone hunting Jedi seems like a cop-out.
william wrote:Hamlet's problem is that Scar caused the stampede that killed his father.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

Bisyss wrote:This is going to sound odd, but am I the only one disappointed by the plot? When the game was announced, I had visions of playing as a Jedi and having to survive the Purge against increasing odds. The fact that you're actually playing as someone hunting Jedi seems like a cop-out.

Oh... the previews and all that talked about how you were playing Vader's secret apprentice, on the darkside...

I don't think you can fault a game for not being the game it didn't say it would be.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

I need a suggestion here on PC vs PS3. I HATE HATE HATE console shooters but I can deal with a controller on more... 3rd person things. For example, I think Assassin's creed was playable with a controller. Is force unleashed a FPS like Jedi Knight was at it's core or is it a 3rd person action game?

Basically is a controller going to piss me off because I need to turn my head up and down quickly and frequently (and without a mouse, that will piss me off) or is it kind of flat?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Based on the demo it's very much third-person in play style.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

First, it's 3rd person. Second, I don't think it's on PC.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

But it'll come to PC eventually, I'd think...

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:34 am UTC

ONLY THE SITH DEAL IN ABSOLUTES!
But seriously, this looks pretty freaking awesome.

Jessica wrote:
Bisyss wrote:This is going to sound odd, but am I the only one disappointed by the plot? When the game was announced, I had visions of playing as a Jedi and having to survive the Purge against increasing odds. The fact that you're actually playing as someone hunting Jedi seems like a cop-out.

Oh... the previews and all that talked about how you were playing Vader's secret apprentice, on the darkside...
I don't think you can fault a game for not being the game it didn't say it would be.

Oh, you still have to survive the purge. You're a SECRET apprentice. Nobody is supposed to know about you. In other words, you kill everything you see. Besides, how else did you think they were gonna let you fight other jedi?
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Just got it and beat it in under 4 hours. Fastest play-through of a game I've ever done.

Granted, it's only the PS2 version though.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:58 am UTC

Yeah, I realize now it was rather short...

Too bad.

Anyway, I still loved it. Definitely the best thing to come out of lucasArts since Loom (which was awesome)

Mr_Meister

Postby Mr_Meister » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:58 am UTC

I got it yesterday, and I'm finding it really fun indeed. It has some flaws, but many redeeming qualities to balance it out.
Pride of the South since 1990

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

Mr. Galt wrote:Yeah, I realize now it was rather short...

Too bad.

Anyway, I still loved it. Definitely the best thing to come out of lucasArts since Loom (which was awesome)

A big call, given how awesome some of Lucasart's older RPGs were (cue The Dig, DOTT, Sam and Max, etc). Even some of the older Star Wars games were pretty awesome, though too many of the new ones lacked much in the way of gameplay depth. Looking forward to playing this one, though, to see how it stacks up. 3rd person games have never been a Lucasarts strong point.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Graphic Novel get.

I realized that in order to completely understand the story, you need the other parts of the project too. It's pretty good.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:16 am UTC

I actually saw the graphic novel in the store while i had yet to get very far in the game.

My curiosity got the better of me and I secretly flipped it open and grabbed a peak near the beginning(just to make sure i didn't reveal anything too spoiler-ish).

What I saw made me super crazy.

I glimpsed the part where...
Spoiler:
vader says "I did not summon him" /KILL

The art was pretty good from what I remember. I'll have to take another look at it on monday or so.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

Am I the only person who thinks it's pretty cool that I got to
Spoiler:
CAUSE THE FORMING OF THE REBEL FUGGING ALLIANCE?!

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

Also, I don't know about Tycho's experience with the 360 and PS3 versions, but on the Wii it was fairly glitch-free and the Cloth Animation (If I may say) was superb.

I'd be happy if this were simply a game that featured the Empire and the Alliance and didn't consist entirely of flying around Hoth shooting Tow Cables (Although that's still fun).

But it's MORE than that, it adds significantly to the story, which means (With all due respect) that it actually does MORE than Dark Forces/Jedi Knight. (Please be aware that I consider Jedi Outcast to be a summarily superior game, it just has a less interesting plot, though it is still very compelling)

It also manages to explain itself very well, and actually made me sad about
Spoiler:
the death of a protagonist whose stated single saving grace was a wooden and largely pointless romantic subplot, because I'd actually grown to like him.

Also, there's a Cheat that lets you play as Admiral Fugging Akbar. I'm sorry, no other Star Wars game has let you do that, so nothing else can compare.

So yes, even though the Wii version has worse graphics, much worse Physics and AI, and even the sabre system is kinda tacked on, it is now officially my second favorite game under Smash Bros. Brawl...*

Now if only it had a bit more replay value...

Actually... one thing Im pissed off about is that I didn't get to do anything with TIE Fighters... I guess that got left out of the Wii version... >:(
*This is h the list that does not include SNES games... So my favorite modern games list, if you will...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:
Also, there's a Cheat that lets you play as Admiral Fugging Akbar. I'm sorry, no other Star Wars game has let you do that, so nothing else can compare.

Ok, I'm not crazy. I was browsing stuff on gamefaqs the other day and I swear I saw this cheat on there. I was super excited and decided i would finish the game before i tried it out.

I went back and it was just gone!

Maybe it's not available on 360? or maybe I was just looking at an incomplete list of cheats.

Now the search is on! ...again!

Edit: That was fast. I'll have to try it on the box tonight sometime.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

To all the people who said that Episode One Racer would be better with Wii controls that mimic the arcade... well, they already did that. On the original. And it is epic.

Seriously: Dig out your N64 and E1R. Make sure you have two controllers: one in the first port, and one in the third. Start a new save file. Before you enter the initials, use L (I think, I'm repeating this from memory) to select the letters instead of A. They won't be added to the name; they'll appear at the bottom-left corner of the screen. Spell out "RRDUAL". Then (again, I think) press R to enter the cheat. It should comfirm it somehow... then, just finish making the save file. Now: Start a race, with whoever. This is where the awesomeness begins.

The first port controller is your left engine. The third port controller is your right. The analog sticks control throttle--to turn you just put more power into one engine. To turn on your side, you turn both sticks toward your right, and to boost, you reach max speed (like normal) and then press Start on both controllers at the same time.
And the second player can do the same thing, if you have controllers for the second and fourth ports.

This is probably the most fun you will have with an N64.
500%!

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Dammit! Now I need to find a place that still sells E1R!
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

Marlowe wrote:KotOR (not the second)

I resent that. The second one was still a good game!
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Enderb

Postby Enderb » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

My petpeeves:

-Enemies who attack when I'm recovering from knockdown.
-Random combinations of enemies to make levels hard: without regard for a viable strategies.
-Unadjustable camera angles.
-Inability to switch target (hold target button and toggle enemies)

etc...

Ianto

Postby Ianto » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:05 pm UTC

does anyone know where to find the new dlc once youve downloaded it i cant find it anywhere on the game? (im talking about the tatooine mission not the jedi temple)
Laugh now but one day we will rule the world

Return to “Gaming”