Good Adventure Games

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cyberdeftly

Good Adventure Games

Postby cyberdeftly » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:15 am UTC

I think my favorite genre of pc games is adventure. Games like Myst, Scratches, Dreamfall, Indigo Prophecy are awesome. I've never played it, but I hear really good things about Grim Fandango. Anybody else have any good suggestions or contributions to this genre?

Durandal

Re: Good Adventure Games

Postby Durandal » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:16 am UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:18 am UTC

The Longest Journey
The Quest for Glory series
Basically anything put out by Lucasarts - Maniac Mansion, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and so on.

Durandal wrote:Banjo-Kazooie! :D

No, seriously. (or does it fall into the platformer genre? I remember it being an adventure game...)

Also, Deus Ex and its sequel were quite good.

... none of those qualify as an Adventure Game. Generally speaking, Adventure Games are backgrounds on which the character moves, sometypes typing commands, sometimes using the mouse to click commands, navigating around the world and solving ridiculous puzzles. Like most text games, but with images.

Example
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:22 am UTC

psychonauts.
New sam and max seasons.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

cyberdeftly

Postby cyberdeftly » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:31 am UTC

sam and max. i've never played those but don't they release a new game like every 2 or 3 months?

Spoon_of_Doom

Postby Spoon_of_Doom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:29 am UTC

cyberdeftly wrote:sam and max. i've never played those but don't they release a new game like every 2 or 3 months?

Yeah, it's pretty much like a tv series, one overall story chopped down into episodic plots. The first season was finished a while ago and had six episodes. I've played them, and while not all of those episodes are highlights, they're all worth playing definitely. What I liked especially was how they managed to put in a pseudo-text-adventure, where you only see written descriptions of the enviroment and situation. Each episode has a playtime about 2-3 hours or something around that, so you actually get some playtime for your money, as it's rather cheap^^ As for the second season, I haven't tried it yet, I'm waiting till they have the season finished, just like I did with the first one. Btw, I think one of the episodes is available for free, so google it and check it out to see if you like it.

I coul name a few point&click games, but I think that's not really what you're looking for, is it? Other than that, I can't really think of any games going in that direction, at least none that haven't been named before.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:06 am UTC

As far as old school adventure...

Sierra's Kings/Police/Space (emphasis on space) games were great.
Most of the Lucasarts (If you like Myst, try LOOM) games, monkey island series being a personal favorite. Sam+Max as well.

From the games you described, it doesn't really seem like you're looking for much action/adventure. Psychonauts fits into this category more or less, but it's still a great game. Same with Deus Ex (also great, but puzzle solving in an FPS sort of way, not really story wise)

If puzzle solving IS your thing, and you're cool with FPS format: Portal, of course. *little short though :*(

Have you tried Japanese adventure? They're 70% story 30% puzzle? Phoenix Wright is one of my favorites, with almost lucasarts quality puzzle solving. The Harvery Birdman attorney at law game for the Wii used a similar Capcom engine. Trauma Center for Wii/DS are great as well (instead of puzzle-solving, you operate on patients)

uh....classic adventure..... Siberia /2? Longest Journey?

If it makes you feel any better, I think the Wii will lead to a revival of pure adventure with it's mixture of motion and point and click interaction?

/Seriously, play the Lucasarts games
//Dig, Full Throttle, etc.
///Now it's just me and the bunnies.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Hmm... I don't know if the Wii would be the best thing for a point-and-click. See, it sounds like a good idea, but I would imagine the decreased accuracy (compared to a mouse) would make tooth-grinding mistakes more likely.

Oh and yeah... I'll fourth/fifth/whatever The Longest Journey. Didn't play it all the way through--didn't get very far at all actually, and then I quit games altogether for a while and [/ramble]--but it is definite win. Hmm... how about the "Room" games? They're playable online; Crimson Room is the only one I remember, I think it was the last one...

*google*

Here we go. My bad; Crimson Room was the first one. Silly me. Good luck.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:22 am UTC

If the Wii had accuracy issues, I wouldn't have near perfect headshot rates in Umbrella Chronicles.

(Maybe YOU have accuracy issues? :wink: )

/Don't even need a crappy zapper.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:04 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Generally speaking, Adventure Games are backgrounds on which the character moves, sometypes typing commands, sometimes using the mouse to click commands, navigating around the world and solving ridiculous puzzles. Like most text games, but with images.
Aww, don't be dismissing the text adventures! That said, SecondTalon has good recommendations. My favourite graphical adventures are the Gabriel Knight games.

And don't forget ScummVM for playing all those LucasArts games (and more.)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:27 am UTC

The Ethos wrote:If the Wii had accuracy issues, I wouldn't have near perfect headshot rates in Umbrella Chronicles.

*Shrug* I don't even have a Wii, I'm just going by the demo console they have at Gamestop or wherever it was. To be fair, it may not have had the sensor bar installed, I didn't think to check. I still maintain a mouse would be better for point-and-clicks.

Oh, and JayDee, if you're going to post a text adventure site, use the right one. TADS is awesome, but ya need yer diversity!
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:15 am UTC

Matthias wrote:Oh, and JayDee, if you're going to post a text adventure site, use the right one. TADS is awesome, but ya need yer diversity!
You didn't actually check the link, though, did you? IFDB is hosted by tads, but is a fairly recent frontend to the if archive. I like the highly recommended lists myself. Anyways, I'm a z-code man!
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

cyberdeftly

Postby cyberdeftly » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:19 am UTC

text adventures!

i remember waaay back when internet first became public, before myst and magic carpet, there was a text based adventure game my brother owned that i think a friend of his had found somewhere or gotten from someone that was absolutely brilliant. it was pretty basic, you were a traveler looking for money and you run into creatures and such while traveling through a forest to get to towns. once you got to the town you could go to the "inn" or the "shop" or other places i don't recall and get more adventures from the townsfolk. you go back in the forest, get lost, find caves...the works! i think the game revolved around a dragon quest of some sort. anyways, awesome gameplay. i need to find more text based games, be some nice nostalgia.

Simius

Postby Simius » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:37 am UTC

You should try Atlantis and it's sequels. Very much like Myst, with maybe a little bit more action (as much as that is possible for a point-and-click game)

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Matthias wrote:
The Ethos wrote:If the Wii had accuracy issues, I wouldn't have near perfect headshot rates in Umbrella Chronicles.

*Shrug* I don't even have a Wii, I'm just going by the demo console they have at Gamestop or wherever it was. To be fair, it may not have had the sensor bar installed, I didn't think to check. I still maintain a mouse would be better for point-and-clicks.

It...wouldn't work without the sensor bar. Personally, I hate pixel hunting, so anything that requires THAT much accuracy would annoy me anyway.

Zack and Wiki on the Wii is really good. Point and clickish, and makes a lot of use of the Wii remote. For instance, if you want to open a lock with a key, you click on the lock while holding the key (you can only hold one item at a time), then move the remote forward and turn it to open the lock.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

Why has no one yet mentioned Peasant's Quest on Homestarrunner? I know it's old, but...

Though seriously, the entire Quest for Glory series is probably the best. I've played 1 through 4, and really enjoyed all of them (1 was a tad bland by comparison, but 2 through 4 were all incredible, with 3 being my favorite).

The King's Quest and Space Quest series were also pretty good. Space Quest is the silliest of the lot, if you like humor.

Besides Sierra, LucasArts is the other company that stands out. Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, Indiana Jones, were all pretty good. Though, I still preferred any of the Sierra games (except for Sam & Max).

I can't think of any more recent games, though... These are all at least a decade old, if not older. KF
~Kizyr

CrackTheSky

Postby CrackTheSky » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Zork!

Asleep or Wrong

Postby Asleep or Wrong » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

I had a good deal of fun with The Journeyman Project 3. Also Omikron. And for the hell of it, Zork: Grand Inquisitor (Floss athletically!). And if you haven't already, the newer Myst sequels are pretty decent.
The adventure genre fan scene is inexplicably active. There are sites like http://adventuregamers.com which keep abreast of pretty much every development in the field.

This thread has reminded me that I really need to get Dreamfall.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

To go back to old school: Myst!

Ah memories.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

Lucas Arts adventure games
Sierra Adventure games
The Longest Journey
Zork Series

Anyone know how Dreamfall: Chapters is progressing? I haven't been able to find much about it.

Spoon_of_Doom

Postby Spoon_of_Doom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Runaway 1+2 are quite good, I think. I'd say "Floyd" is a great game, though I've heard there are some issues with XP. Then again, maybe there's a way to work around that.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Kizyr wrote:Though seriously, the entire Quest for Glory series is probably the best. I've played 1 through 4, and really enjoyed all of them (1 was a tad bland by comparison, but 2 through 4 were all incredible, with 3 being my favorite).

The King's Quest and Space Quest series were also pretty good. Space Quest is the silliest of the lot, if you like humor.
I'm with you on the Quest for Glory games. (although I've only played number 1 as remade for ZZT, and no I don't know why.)

I can't really recommend the King's Quest games, although I did enjoy them (and replayed KQ6 about a month ago) because they are bad games. KQ5 especially.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:02 am UTC

Just want to 3rd Zork. I've never beaten any of the games (I suck, I know), but at least the original was a great text-based RPG (and I've gotten the impression the sequels were as well, I just haven't played them), and Zork: Grand Inquisitor was an awesome point and click game. Highly recommended.

Play through Grim Fandango. It's more that worth it just for the characters alone, and you won't be disappointed in the least.

Also, if you ever get stuck in adventure games, I highly recommend the Universal Hint System: http://www.uhs-hints.com/ . It has scaling hints, so it will go from the barest of clues to just flat out telling you the answer. The nice thing is that it hides the more blatant hints until you click on the one before it, and so on, so you don't accidentally give yourself any spoilers. Invaluable for me in Grim Fandango. (And while it may seem you need to buy it, it has a 30 day free trial. So definitely give it a shot.)
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Marlowe

Postby Marlowe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:22 am UTC

Ben Croshaw's games are pretty good. "Five Days a Stranger" and "Seven Days a Sceptic" are both fun plays! Also they're free. Not high tech or anything, but enjoyable.
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Marlowe wrote:Ben Croshaw's games are pretty good. "Five Days a Stranger" and "Seven Days a Sceptic" are both fun plays! Also they're free. Not high tech or anything, but enjoyable.
fix'd.
Wolf wrote:Just want to 3rd Zork. I've never beaten any of the games (I suck, I know), but at least the original was a great text-based RPG (and I've gotten the impression the sequels were as well, I just haven't played them), and Zork: Grand Inquisitor was an awesome point and click game. Highly recommended.
All of the games by Infocom are highly recommended. My favourite is the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy game that Douglas Adams wrote, which I just now learnt has been updated with graphics. Yay for new excuses to play old games.

Marlowe

Postby Marlowe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:43 am UTC

JayDee wrote:fix'd.

Cheers! :D

Also, Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", based on the short story by the same author and the same name. Very good psychodrama, and standing the test of time too. Plus, Ellison himself does the voice of AM!
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Marlowe wrote:Also, Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", based on the short story by the same author and the same name. Very good psychodrama, and standing the test of time too. Plus, Ellison himself does the voice of AM!
Okay, knowing that, I must play this game. I'd seen the name before (it's a recent addition to the games supported by the aforementioned ScummVM) but dismissed it on that basis. This will be rectified.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

The Shiva. You play as a gritty rabbi investigating the death of a former acquaintance.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:31 am UTC

As above.. if you like adventure games, you really need to play the Lucasarts games. Grim Fandango, which is by Lucasarts, has a fantastic storyline, but the controls are a bit rubbish and it does get pretty tricky. Still well worth playing though. I'd also recommend Monkey Island and Full Throttle, but most of them are excellent.

Hangar

Postby Hangar » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:05 am UTC

The Ray's Maze series was always my favorite. It ran on something like Mac OS7, but I don't know if you can get it to run in OSX under some compatibility mode. I managed to get it running with Basilisk and an old Mac image, but it was probably more trouble than most are willing to deal with.

http://www.semitech.com/marc/ray.html

If you want to try, the best games are A Mess O' Trouble and Twisted (the older version). They're mostly text-based, with black and white graphics and some mouse input. They're pretty hard, too, but not harder than Zork! or the old text adventures.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

Obsidian, if you can find it. Interesting and innovative puzzles with a strange, dream-like sci-fi atmosphere.

Jazhara7

Postby Jazhara7 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:41 am UTC

This is one of my favourite topics, as I am an adventure gamer myself.

The Neverhood, if you can find it.

And look at the Underdogs for "Discworld". Especially if you're a fan of the books. That's Discworld 1 I'm talking about (Though "Discworld 2: Missing Presumed...!?"/"Discworld 2: Mortality Bytes...!?" is quite nice too. And I hear "Discworld Noir" is very nice too, though I have yet to play it [it's lying on my shelf right now, with some other games I'll have to play once I find time.]).

Of recent games, I will always say "The Longest Journey", and its sequel "Dreamfall". Also, I really liked "The Black Mirror" (The voice work in English I hear is not so nice, sadly. If you speak German well enough, I recommend you try and get your hands on the German version, as the voice work was very well done in the German version.), though I know some people don't. It's one of the games where you either love it, or you don't. Particularly the ending has the players split in two factions.

"5 Days a Stranger" and "7 Days a Sceptic" were already mentioned, but there's also "Trilby's Notes" which takes place between those two, and 6 Days a Sacrifice which takes place last and is the fourth and final installment of the series.

For all your free adventure game needs, I can recommend the Adventure Game Studio (AGS) website. There's lots there. Here's some recommendations (including some from other sources than AGS):

-----

Five Magical Amulets - A full length, original fantasy game by Czech team "Off Studio". The game is available in Czech, English (and recently German). The translation is excellent, and even better than some translations seen in commercial games. In total, I only spotted one tranlation error, and it was only a minor one. I realise this one might be a might bit girly for some guys, but it's just because it has more of a fantasy setting, and not such a gritty one. Also, you can get "5 Lethal Demons" on the site too, which is less girly, I suppose. Also, there was talk of a sequel to "Five Magical Amulets" a few years back, though I don't know what the status of that is - My Czech is a bit dusty, you see. (Also, if you ever wanted to have a Tetris game with a slight erotic undertone, this is the place to go. :P )

-----

Two of a Kind - This game is great. You play the fraternal twins Tim and Tiffany. They were born and live in Bluff City. The thing about Bluff city is that every member of the town is born with a special talent. For example: Tim is able to float, while Tiffany can talk with animals. Apart from being twins, they don't have much in common. Tiffany is always happy and a bit naive, while tim has a bleak, pessimistic view of the world. Play it, it's really great!

-----

The Ben Jordan Series tell of the adventures of the Paranormal Investigator Ben Jordan. While his first case is quite short, and simple (but still good), the games get better with every new case. Case 4 has a very rich, and scary atmosphere (also because it, as well as Case 3, is based on real mysteries.)

Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator Case 1 - In Search of the Skunk-Ape - Now with revamped graphic and in overall Deluxe edition! (I hear this version has voice acting, but I don't know how it is. I played the original version back in the day [which is also still available for download, I think], which didn't have voice acting. The other games in the series don't have voice acting either, so should the voice in this version suck, rest assured it's not in the other games.)

Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator Case 2 - The Lost Galleon of the Salton Sea

Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator Case 3 - The Sorceress of Smailholm

Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator Case 4 - Horror at Number 50

Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator Case 5 - Land of the Rising Dead - After the events in London, Ben Jordan returns home for a much needed rest. One day, he receives a conference call from his friends Simon Booth and Alice Wilkins. Simon has heard of a series of murders in Osaka, Japan, and thinks there is some sort of paranormal activity involved. Ben, Simon, and Alice travel to Japan, but soon find there is much more to the story than they first thought...
Occasional mild strong language, and rare mild violence.
I haven't completed this one yet, so I can't really say how scary it gets. But it is pretty good so far.

Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator Case 6 - Scourge of the Sea People - Haven't even started that one yet, so I can't tell you anything specific.

-----

Apprentice 1 & 2 - In Apprentice 1 by Herculean Effort Productions, you play Pip the Wizard's Apprentice. Your master tells you that you are ready to perform your first greater spell. So he sends you off to gather the ingredients.

'Apprentice II: The Knight's Move' starts where the first game left off. Lord Ironcrow wants to go to war, and since Pip is not yet a wizard, the Lord says he has to join the army. Pip sets off to become a full wizard, so that he must not to join the army of Lord Ironcrow.

"Apprentice III: Checkmate!" is also currently in the works. And you can get "Super Jazz Man" there for 8.95$, which I think is a fair prize. I hear it's quite nice.

-----

Principles of Evil (Part 1) - Rogata is a Taxidermist interested in Magic, sets off to find her idol, the most evil witch in the world: Baba-Yaga. On her quest she travels through colourful areas, including a Sweetshop, Beautysalon, and other places that are in crass contrast with Rogata and her own little world. Part II is currently in Beta-phase, so it shouldn't be too long that it will be released.

-----

Cirque de Zale - Alexander Zale works in a Circus. However, he wants to own his own circus. When he is transported into another dimension, he sees his chance. He is very sarcastic and doesn't want to hear it when people tell him he should rescue the princes, and become a hero.

-----

Mind's Eye - You start out in your cell in an asylum, restrained by a straitjacket. On the wall you can see written "Not Insane", in some indefineable substance. You cannot remember who you are, or how you landed in the asylum in the first place, though a discussion with the friendly guard that brings you your food at least answers the first question. You decide it cannot go on like this. You feel something is wrong, and you must find out who you are, and what happened that you landed in an asylum.
- This module might not be suitable for children, as it can be scary at times. It also contains scenes of violence, and strong language.
(NOTE: If the dream sequences are too slow on your computer, turn down the graphics setting from 32bit to 16bit by checking the box in the settings.) In my eyes, this game is brilliant. It also has two possible endings, depending on how much of your memory you manage to regain.

-----

Emily Enough - Imprisoned - After having murdered her parents and the servants for not giving her the right presents, young Emily is brought to an asylum, which quickly turns out to be not quite kosher. For one, it seems to double as an office building. That aside, Emily has no intention on staying in the asylum, and decides to find a way out.
Warning because of Black Humour, violence, and strong language.

-----

Spooks - This game chronicles a little ghoul girl's visit to the Carnage-val in the land of the dead. Our hero, Mortia, wins a strange thing, or rather creature, in a game of darts. A *living* goldfish, whom she names 'Spooks'. Mortia doesn't know what this 'living' is, but she is intent on finding the right place for the Goldfish to 'live' in. However, soon she finds that police of the dead does not tolerate living things in the world of the dead, and so she has to hide Spooks from them.

The game has a wonderful sense of humour, consisiting of puns (see "Carnage-Val", sarcasm (the good kind), and scurrile characters all over.

The art style is unique for an adventure game. Similar to the movie "Sin City", most of the game is in black and white/greyscale, with only certain things, in this case the things that are "alive", in colour. This creates a wonderful, intriguing effect.

It's some time since I played it, but the music was also special, and fitting the setting and atmosphere of the game quite well. In one scene especially, it evoked a sense of eeriness fitting to the situation.

All in all, a masterpiece (and the first adventure by the Author too, which is remarkable).

-----

The Goat in the Grey Fedora - A Nick Bounty game - This is the second game by Pinhead Games featuring Nick Bounty. Although short, the games make up for it with their excellent full voice acting, and strange humour.
The first Nick Bounty game "A Case of the Crabs" is available here.
Both Nick Bounty games can be played online, too.

-----

Jessica Plunkenstein and the Düsseldorf Conspiracy - This adventure is...strange. It started as a senior project for Computer Science at Yale University. Every character has a recorded voice, and the quality of the sound is excellent for an amateur adventure.
The story is as follows: By a strange twist of fate, Jessica Plunkenstein lands in the Amazon (instead of her intended destination of Miss Pernilla's School for Unwively Women (An Institute of Correctionary Charm)) where she learns she must stop the mad Baron von Düsseldorf from finding the Mulberry bush (which only grows in the amazon) before she does, so as to stop his plans. The game is quite long for an amateur adventure, and on my way through I encountered Llamas, giant flesh-eating plants, always happy employees, Llamas, an adventurer oddly resembling Indiana Jones called "Harris J. Harris"**, giant mallets, axes, 'Llamaland', cows, a man in a cowsuit, and evil laughter.. There were also mentions of feral coalas, and the mysterious powers of THE TROUGH!!

The graphics are not the best, but they are not too bad. Although they are very mixed, they all fit together very nicely.

The game is hilarious, and great fun to play.

Also, the new game from the same author, with a roman theme, sounds pretty nice.

------------------

** The sprite they used for him is actually Templeton Tijn from the "Reality-on-the-Norm" series of games which I am quite partial to. I dare you to google "Reality-on-the-Norm" and try them. You know you want to. Oh what the heck, I'll give you a link:

Reality-on-the-Norm (RON) - This is a series of games by multiple authors, that take place in and around the small town of Reality, which lies on the river Norm. The games follow a rough timeline, though you can insert a game anywhere in there. Anyone can participate, though there's some basic rules, like not killing off another person's character without asking (there was some big time trouble when someone killed off the character Davy Jones in one game. In the end he got resurrected in another game, and his Death and resurrection is now part of the timeline, but since then that rule exists.). Obviously, the quality of the games varies, but mostly they're a lot of fun (there might be some trouble getting some of the older ones running. I had some luck getting them to run on another computer or on a laptop.). I can especially recommend the Tapestry series ("The First Stitch", "The Uraveling" and "Rend"), as well as the Melt and Drake series ("Cabbages and Kings", "Kittens and Cacti" and "Apocalypse Meow (Chapter 1)".). Also, I generally also recommend the games by Yahtzee (like the very first RON game there is, which is by him), also known as "Ben Croshaw" (yeah, he's been pretty prolific in the Adventure game scene. You'll also find a few articles by him on Adventuregamers.com, though he's not really active there any longer.), who's the guy who did "5 Days a Stranger" and the games following it.
NOTE: I should warn you that the game "Davy Jones C'est Mort" does feature some mayor mature content. You've been warned.

There's also the remakes of several King's Quest games:

King's Quest 1 + 2 VGA Remakes (as Well as a "Quest for Glory 2" VGA remake) - These are VGA remake (later full voice acting was added, in which even the official voice of King Graham was involved) by AGD Interactive. This was a non-commercial fan project, converting the games from 16 colour and a text parser control, to VGA with the control system used in the later games. Now available for your enjoyment!

For those not in the know of these game , I should add that in all Sierra adventures it was possible to die, and in later games they added an option saying "Do you want to try this again?", which set you back before doing the thing that killed you. I think this is also included in these remakes, but I am not sure.

"King's Quest III - To Heir is Human" Remake - The third part of the King's Quest series, remade in VGA. In the land of Llewdor, the young Gwydion is kept as slave by the evil wizard Manannan. However, there is more to Gwydion than meets the eye...

Phew, that was a long post. And since I just realised that the King's Quest III remake is finally finished (yes, I know it was released in 2006. I hadn't checked the site in a while.), excuse me while I go play it. This was the only King's Quest game I never played (I am not counting "Mask of Eternity" as a King's Quest game. Blergh. ).

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it will be of value to someone.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
- "esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!" Dennis added, and the wizard's robe caught on fire. "Gosh," Dennis said, "and some people say higher math isn't relevant."

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Simius wrote:You should try Atlantis and it's sequels. Very much like Myst, with maybe a little bit more action (as much as that is possible for a point-and-click game)

Atlantis was fun, except I seem to remember that the cursor is always in the middle of the screen, and if you aren't hovering over something you can act on it doesn't show up as anything. This made some of the action parts very difficult, as you have to quickly click on things without actually knowing precisely where the cursor was.

Whenever I played, I put a sticker in the center of the screen just so I would always know where it was.

And now I want to go find where that game is hiding in my house and play it again.

Jazhara7

Postby Jazhara7 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

An adventure game that is looking to be amazing is the much anticipated The Whispered World. The development of the game experienced some hardships along the way. Starting out as a graduation project, it was taken up by Bad Brain Entertainment (if you know what that is, you probably know what happened to them), which went out of business. It was released by the head of BBE to be developed as freeware by the community, but that didn't work out. Now it seems that another company has bought the rights and hired the original creator to finally make it see completion.

I'm very excited about this. Rarely have I seen a game that looks so promising, and I'm glad that it will be available for play after all.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
- "esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!" Dennis added, and the wizard's robe caught on fire. "Gosh," Dennis said, "and some people say higher math isn't relevant."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (Circle of Blood in the US) is the greatest adventure --Neigh!--Video Game ever created by man.

It's so good, I think Dan Brown stole half the Da Vinci Code off it. Grim Fandango & The Monkey Island series (1-3, not 4) follow a close second. As does Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis

The game is so brilliant, they're making a film out of it. Although IMDb have yet to give us any info.

It's a 1995ish point-n-click affair, like most LucasArts adventures, and focuses on an American who falls foul of an assassination plot whilst vacationing (holidaying) in Paris. He gets embroiled in a conspiracy that dates back 700 hundred years to the dissolution of the Knights Templar (shamelessly ripped off by the Da Vinci Code). Interestingly, the guy who made it was key consultant in the Da Vinci Code game. (Anyone play that? ...Thought not)

It's so great, I have had two past relationships where I have convinced respective girlfriends, who have never held a controller in their lives, to play and complete the game. I think they're doing it for the DS too.

PS - I am actually a spokesperson for this game; a stealth marketer if you will, sneakily encouraging people to buy the game. If it can still be bought.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

C'mon guys? No love for Simon the Sorceror?

Hilarity.
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:08 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (Circle of Blood in the US) is the greatest adventure --Neigh!--Video Game ever created by man.
Is that the first Broken Sword game? I keep getting the subtitles mixed up.
Felstaff wrote:It's so good, I think Dan Brown stole half the Da Vinci Code off it.
Please tell me you are joking.
Felstaff wrote:I think they're doing it for the DS too.
If it is the first of the Broken Sword games it was released for the GameBoy Advance. And done really well, I never thought I'd play a point and click adventure on that platform.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:26 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (Circle of Blood in the US) is the greatest adventure --Neigh!--Video Game ever created by man.

What does a horse have to do with it? :D

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:01 am UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:

What does a horse have to do with it? :D

I have fun with that, ever since I read that Far Side cartoon about the first member of horse parliament to ever vote "aye".

JayDee wrote:
Felstaff wrote: It's so good, I think Dan Brown stole half the Da Vinci Code off it.

Please tell me you are joking.

I speak in hyperbole about once every gazillion years. You gotta admit, there is a similarity between George Stobbart and Robert Langdon. Except ones a cryptogramalamadologist or some stupid thing and the other's a lovable dolt.

As an aside, someone asked me to make up a name. I said "Uh, Robert...Lang...don?" and the person said "That's a stupid name, it sounds made-up by someone who's not very good at making up names." 5 Years Later: Bam! Da Vinci Code. My second attempt was "Harrison P. Vendelboa" which sounds much better.

His wife is "Nicollete Rolfe-Schofield".
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:36 am UTC

I am a fan of the new Sam & Max. All time favourite has to be Day of the Tentacle though. Absolutely brilliant.

People should play everything under ScummVM! BaSS is free and very good, go try it.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Return to “Gaming”