OGame Alliance

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Azrael001

Re: O game Alliance

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

Ooo, I've got you beat, I have two!

George Orr

Postby George Orr » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

What is this guy's name, anyways?

As to my fleet capacity, I only have a lot of small cargoes and a few large cargoes at this point, but I could probably have cruisers in a day or two...
Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

I don't think that I still have the message...

Zak

Postby Zak » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Are solar satellites worth anything?
Should i try and get a fusion reactor up and running or should i stick with a solar plant?
*waggles eyebrows*

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:41 am UTC

Solar Satellites are worth very little except in the special case of graviton technology.

I would say you should stick with solar plant until it becomes prohibitively expensive (I think around 20, but whatever), then start adding in fusion. Deuterium is produced relatively slowly, but there isn't much that requires a whole lot of it, so fusion reactors won't likely be a hindrance unless you neglect your synthesizers for 15 levels of it, or something.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:16 am UTC

Actually, when you're still in the beginning stages of developing anything *ahem* it takes a lot of deuterium to research anything, which is required to build anything worthwhile. Just want to throw out there that we should wait awhile before sacking this guy, because even if he took us all down one by one that still implies a good deal of power. Let's give it some time and then really crush him, eh?
This post brought you to by the number 42.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:41 am UTC

saxything43 wrote:Actually, when you're still in the beginning stages of developing anything *ahem* it takes a lot of deuterium to research anything, which is required to build anything worthwhile.

Yes, at the beginning stages, when you can barely produce any deuterium. Relatively huge amounts in your first week still don't add up to very much. More significantly, that's when you won't have any fusion reactors, which was the point to begin with.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Slice84

Postby Slice84 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:04 am UTC

This seems to be a nifty distraction... I just joined, I'm Slice84 on there as well.

George Orr

Postby George Orr » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

Kag wrote:Solar Satellites are worth very little except in the special case of graviton technology.

I would say you should stick with solar plant until it becomes prohibitively expensive (I think around 20, but whatever), then start adding in fusion. Deuterium is produced relatively slowly, but there isn't much that requires a whole lot of it, so fusion reactors won't likely be a hindrance unless you neglect your synthesizers for 15 levels of it, or something.

Um, no. Not really.

You're right about solar plants, more or less. It's generally considered good practice to build solar plants to somewhere between level 24 and 30. The exact level depends on how much you get attacked. If you get attacked more, build a higher level of solar plant. If you don't get attacked, keep the level on the lower end of that range.

However, fusion plants are generally not a good idea, for the simple reason that they use deuterium. The standard practice is to build the fusion plant to a maximum level of 10-11, then turn it off. Yes, turn it off (you can do this by going to the "resources" screen and setting the % to 0). The idea behind this is that you can turn it back on again after you have been attacked. If you are attacked, your solar satellites will be destroyed, and your mines will not be producing because they are low on power with no sats to feed them. So the fusion plant can help you get back on your feet again.

But satellites are essential later in the game. At this stage, at least while your solar plant is below lvl 20, don't build them. However, once your solar plant is lvl 20 or so, start building satellites. They are much cheaper, especially on warmer planets (the production of solar sats is dependent on the temperature of a planet). On my mining account, I have around 400 solar satellites on each planet along with solar plants at ~lvl 25.

Also, the fastest way to get deuterium at this stage of the game is to raid it from other people :wink:
Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Seriously, am I the only person that has very little need for deuterium? I've been giving it away to my friends so they can get the prereqs for nanites, and I still have more than enough.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 am UTC

I have yet to be low on it. I need crystal and metal though :)

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:57 am UTC

I was really low on it, just because it is really annoying to get the deut factory going.

I could totally see just mining up the yin-yang and supplying you guys when you need to do stuff.
*waggles eyebrows*

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

Working on my little thing. As soon as I figure out defenses, I'll join your clan or whatever it's called.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:27 am UTC

I'm just getting going, I'm building mines and defense and researching as much as I can. Once I get comfortable, I'll likely be a raider.

Sid30

Postby Sid30 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

Earlier I was searching for targets to attack when I found your alliance. I've just recently started playing Ogame with a couple of my friends. Now our alliance is just as strong or as weak as yours is, depending on how you look at it. Now I'm proposing an alliance between the 5th Ranger Battalion and the xkcd Alliance. You can send me a message in Game the name is Sid and I'll be glad to work things out with you to form this alliance. Lastly, I would like to apologies for who ever has the planet named Mixolydia I recalled my fleet once I noticed what Alliance you are in.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:40 am UTC

I don't want to speak for the whole alliance, as I'm ranking somewhere around 15th I think, but I do want to say that Mixolydia was (is) mine, and there seems to be no damage done to it.

Also, I have no message, warning indicator, galaxy map, etc. which shows me that I was attacked at any point...where can I find this? And when it actually comes down to combat, what happens? I don't really want to attack anyone until I have some idea of what will happen, especially with only light and heavy fighters in my fleet; that is to say I have no capital ships.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

seems like a planetarion clone? Confirm/Deny? I played that way back when (must be like 8 years now) and also played planetia (the most famous clone) for quite a few years.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 am UTC

I just applied to join. I'm Pathway ingame and here.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:27 am UTC

For some reason i can't pull an espionage on anyone...
*waggles eyebrows*

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:34 am UTC

If people could look at and discuss the concept of a two-alliance faction, that would be cool. @ZAK: Make sure they're not in vacation mode, and don't have newb protection. That was my problem, anyways.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:38 am UTC

Does anyone know how to colonize other planets? do you have to kill someone else off?
*waggles eyebrows*

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Does anyone know how to colonize other planets? do you have to kill someone else off?

From a quick google on the subject...

The Question:
If I send a colonizing ship to an unused planet, and another ship from another player gets there first, what happens to mine?
Does it gets destroyed? Atacks or simply comes back?

The Answer:
This one is pretty simple. If someone colonizes the planet before you get to it, then your colony ship returns. The only thing you lose is the Deuterium to fly your ship to and from the target location.
If someone colonizes before you, then destroys their planet before you get there, your ship still returns home. The Destroyed Planet stays there for approximately 48 hours.
Your colony ship will not attack unless you sent it on an attack mission.

I assume, then, you have to either find an empty planet.. or blow someone else away. Still looking for concrete conquest info.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Looks cool, I'm in.
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:05 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Does anyone know how to colonize other planets? do you have to kill someone else off?

1) You need a colony ship.
2) Go to the "galaxy" link, and look for an empty slot. Those are unused.
3) Click on the "fleet" link and choose 1 colony ship, then click continue
4) Input the position of the planet you want to colonise (from step 2), click continue
5) Choose "colonisation" as the mission type, click continue
6) wait

As for occupied planets, I have no idea.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

Does anyone remember the name of that guy who attacked us all before we even had anything?

Also a question for the vets of this game... I'm about to cross the 5k barrier in points, and I've heard it gets a little rough, since it basically becomes open season on you...any advice? I'm going to just try to keep the resources on my planets low, either through fleetsaves or building/researching. What about defense?

Currently on my main planet:

42 RL
8 LL
9 GC
1 SSD
1 LSD
5 ABM

Suggestions?

Also, when you get an espionage report, and it shows Fleets and Defense, but there is nothing listed there, does that necessarily mean there are no fleets or defense there?
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Yo i'll join up...i don't remember how to play this game tho
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

Popidge

Postby Popidge » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:08 am UTC

Uni35?? Why would you even bother playing there?

Everyone knows Universe 1 is where it's at, holmes...

Or it was about 4 years ago, when i first ever played OGame. It was the only universe there was.. oh good times eh?
http://popidge.co.uk
Where you can read stuff that, quite frankly, you probably don't care about.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:39 am UTC

Actually, we're in 34, but that's all right. I haven't tried any of the other universes, I know that 35 is faster paced, at least relative to 34.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:23 am UTC

Catch22 wrote:Also, when you get an espionage report, and it shows Fleets and Defense, but there is nothing listed there, does that necessarily mean there are no fleets or defense there?

If the category is visible, but there is nothing listed, then yes, they have 0 of whatever it is. Although that doesn't stop them from building some before you get there.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

A hostile fleet from Draqon write message from Planet Congregation [1:58:10] is approaching Planet PLANET AWESOME [1:77:11]. Its mission is: Attack.

A hostile fleet from King Diringo write message from Planet Cloral [1:62:8] is approaching Planet PLANET AWESOME [1:77:11]. Its mission is: Attack.

They're both from UNSEF alliance.

I built some rocket launchers and a large shield dome, turned off my mines and then shipped all the resources I could to one of my colonies. Is there anything else I can do?
But I digress.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

Do you have any ships that you can send out to meet them?

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:22 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:Do you have any ships that you can send out to meet them?

I can do that? Damn.
I looked around for an 'intercept' option but couldn't find it.

What does it mean by "the defender lost [x] units"?
But I digress.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

I don't know. From what I have read in the rules about things that you are not allowed to do, it seemed possible that you could send your fleet to meet theirs, I don't know how though.

Popidge

Postby Popidge » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:42 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I don't know. From what I have read in the rules about things that you are not allowed to do, it seemed possible that you could send your fleet to meet theirs, I don't know how though.

You don't send your fleet to intercept, it just fights alongside your defences if you're attacked, and it's still stationed around your planet.

Generally though, you don't want to keep your fleet on your planet. You'll get crashed (basically, people send bigger fleets to kill yours, and harvest the debris, it can be very profitable).
http://popidge.co.uk
Where you can read stuff that, quite frankly, you probably don't care about.

Azrael001

Re: OGame Alliance

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:44 am UTC

So, ships should be sent out to attack once they are purchased then?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:06 am UTC

In reading a couple of things (thought I'm not doing this as I've got a couple ships) on their Wiki, I think the basic idea is that if you're not about to send your fleet off to fight, you have it bounce back and forth between your home and an ally's planet. So that at any given moment, your fleet is actually in transit, unattackable, not stationed at a base ready to be slammed.

Nab

Postby Nab » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:14 am UTC

34? I was owning this years ago in 3! (no, not three factorial.)

Yeah, that's all I have to say. :D

Oh, one other thing. The different planet numbers when colonizing mean different things. Planet 1 is close to the sun so lots of solar power, planet 3 (iirc) is the one with most fields... That's what you should be gunning for, destroy if you get a crap one ;D

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

The most fields?

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:51 am UTC

The number of fields seem to determine how many buildings you can build on any given planet. My planet in the #1 slot has very few fields, because it is so small, but my planet in the #6 slot has many more.

Dongorath

Postby Dongorath » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:35 am UTC

Just joined... Let's see how it'll be :)

I'm Dongorath.

Edit : Positionned at 1:117:7, currently waiting for some more metal to build a lvl 4 solar plant...

Return to “Gaming”