Sins of a Solar Empire

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xaddak

Re: Sins of a Solar Empire

Postby Xaddak » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:If you upgrade fleet cap too fast you totally destroy your income, that could be it I suppose? It raises tax based on your fleet size upgrades, not the amount of ships you actually have. Also you typically don't need more than one frigate shipyard until way later in the game where it becomes annoying to move your fleet from where it was built to where it's needed.

No, I was careful to not upgrade my fleet cap too far. I only had the first or second upgrade for a long time, since I was just fighting with capitals.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

So, steam carries this game now, and it was on sale. I remembered really liking it back when I didn't have income and played it in "other" ways.

Anyways, Played it again, and I still love this game. It also doesn't hurt that it seems the reason for putting it on steam is to gear up for the stand-alone expansion planned, "Rebellion" which will allow super big ships as well as more and different tech trees.

Color me excited.

and hey! Necro.
418 I'm a teapot

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

Thanks for reminding me about this game. My friend introduced me to it about a month ago; I have been thinking about buying a legit copy...
So far, I haven't been able to avoid being wiped out by a computer on easy, but I think that it is just something that takes more than 2 games to nail down.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:You're right. Clearly Sins of a solar empire has nothing at all in common with real time strategy games. I mean, how silly it is of me to consider a strategy game which is played in real time, a real time strategy game. It doesn't even have any of the ear markings of an RTS. You don't mine resources. you don't build up units. you don't have supply limits. You don't go down tech trees, to unlock more powerful units and structures. You don't build bases to increase unit flow. No elements what so ever of RTS.

Really old post, but I laughed.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

rath358 wrote:Thanks for reminding me about this game. My friend introduced me to it about a month ago; I have been thinking about buying a legit copy...
So far, I haven't been able to avoid being wiped out by a computer on easy, but I think that it is just something that takes more than 2 games to nail down.

It depends how you play. On easy and normal it's a lot easier (for me, at least) to expand quickly early on, then hunker down and turtle over like 8-10 planets until I can't research any further without capturing more planets to build the research centers around.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

I've been having a replay of this game ever since it came on Steam a few days ago. Now I remember why I liked this game. My favoured tactic at the moment is to play as advent and build drone hosts and carriers. Fighter and bomber spam is a wonderful thing, especially since it's the only non-suicidal way I've found to take down a fully upgraded starbase. So I just hold my fleet in position outside the starbase's gun range and send in the drones.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

So, the last time this thread got necroed I wanted to play this game again; now I don't.

My main problem with the game was that it was slow but not deep. I don't mind putting 12 hours into a game of Civ or SMAC; I do mind putting 12 hours into a game of Starcraft. SoaSE is much more like Starcraft than it is like Civ.

I think the game that convinced me to give up was a game with a large galaxy; I had taken about 2/3rds of it and another player had taken 1/3rd. I was playing the race that had massive, planet-purging cannons, and had built like 8 of them. Unfortunately, the AI had like 16 planets, and it took him less time to recolonize a planet than the cooldown on my guns. Instead of a Death Star, I had built an economic annoyance. It would take ~15 minutes to send a fleet at him, but without any real chokeholds we would typically end up swapping planets rather than making any headway. And, since the planets are all pretty much the same, there was no real strategic value to any particular planet besides "I need his number of planets to become 0."
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

I just won a quick game without firing a shot. It was incredibly unfair; the map was laid out so the enemy had about 4 systems to himself, but with a bottleneck in a pirate base which meant he couldn't get to any other planets without going through there. Before he had a chance to build up a fleet big enough to punch through, I had already grabbed and fortified all the planets on my side. I built a bunch of deliverance engines near my homeworld, and just started culture bombing him until all his planets revolted.

By the way, whenever I tell my bombers to attack a Vasari starbase, they seem to get about one volley off and then they just freeze in space for ages. Do those starbases have a special ability that disables strike craft or something?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Necroing this, but since I just bought it, wanted to talk about it a little.

Got it for $5 on a steam sale. Have played maybe two and a half games. One on FIre and Ice, and the others on randoms. I was not impressed. It's a nice enough game, but doesn't do much for me. The gameplay is slow. Pirates aren't a problem so much as an anchor dragging game speed down. The AI wasn't great. It was ok, but not great. It seems like it's easy to create a fort mentality - with choke points, each civ builds a shit ton of defensive things, plus a big ass space station. Then support that with your fleet. Only way to get in is with an enormous fleet, and only if you've out teched them.

Planet locations are usually more important than the actual planets. Only ever saw one ancient artifact thing, and it didn't change the balance of power at all.

Overall I might play it again, but don't see much to bring me back. Maybe if I'm not feeling like Galactic Civ 2, or MOO2
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Like you, I picked it up for $5 because I'd always wanted to give it a try.

Thus far I have no fully completed games under my belt. I started to play against an AI, then convinced a friend to buy it and she and I did a 2v1v1 online against AI. I'm pretty sure we were losing when we had to quit because we'd been playing for 90 minutes and it was time for bed. Looking forward to attempting to finish.

Seriously though, no idea what I'm doing in this game. Should've done the tutorials.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:13 am UTC

So, a regular RTS game is 10-30 minutes, with a slog being 2 hours or more, right?

Sins doesn't really get started until the 3 hour mark. It's a turn based game with no turns.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Sins doesn't really get started until the 3 hour mark. It's a turn based game with no turns.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Koa

Postby Koa » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

It's 4x, which is a subcategory of strategy, and real time is an explicit descriptor. Another 4X RTS is StarDrive. It's pretty much the same thing.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Seriously though, no idea what I'm doing in this game. Should've done the tutorials.

Eh, I would doubt the tutorials are all that helpful. As others have said the game isn't really that deep. You mostly just need to figure out what the important ships and research are for whatever race you like.

I'm far from an expert in the game, but after playing the newest version a bunch with friends this is what we've figured out: Titans are only OP if they're high level, some capital ships can carry you through the early game, and starbases should never be underestimated (especially if they can jump to other planets).

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Starbases are really easy to overwhelm, even when they are upgraded. They can't engage enough targets to do meaningful damage to your fleet. Add into it things like the TEC "instant shield" capship and a fleet's ability to absorb damage over time from a single target is just too much. They also crumble to anti-structure (or Vasari LRM).

What you need to watch out for are starbases backed up by frigates. For those you have to micromanage to keep your anti-structure out of range of their fleet, and your fleet out of range of their starbase. Sometimes you can go around and pop the planet from the other side and get the ownership/culture bonuses, but that doesn't work when the starbase focuses strike craft or they have other defenses. Usually you end up just having to attack somewhere else.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

That wasn't my experience at all; a choke point full of starbases is going to be nigh on impassable, as the fleet required to take them down fucks up your economy, while the cost of building or repairing starbases is negligible.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Gaming”