Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

Copy this template and fill in as much of the information as you can.. it's okay if you can't fill everything in, but tell us as much as possible. There's a wide variety of people from all over the world here, so the odds of someone having actually played the game you cannot remember are pretty good.

And do not, ever, under any circumstances, describe a game as "Very old" unless it dates from 1985 or earlier.

* Background: Where did you play it? When? Why do you remember it? What sticks out at you about it?
* System: Which system did you play it on? Jaguar? 32x? Windows XP? Window 3.1? Apple IIe? Megadrive? Genesis? Game Boy?
* Year: When did you play it?* You don't need to be specific, but the closer you can get, the better. While it'd be great if you could say that you know it came out in 1995, simply saying Mid 90s will work (If you remember). When in doubt, choose a wider scope (Say, Early to Mid-90s for a game that you think was new in '94) - *This is supposed to reflect when you think the game came out. If it was a NES game (Mid 80s to Early 90s life cycle) that you played in your college days (2005-2010).. then say "Somewhere in the NES life cycle" or something like that. Saying 2005-2010 is.. useless as it doesn't reflect when the game may have come out. And please.. please please please don't tell us how old you were. We have no idea how old you are now, so that's.. completely useless information. You may have been 11 in 2006, but I was 11 in 1991, and another user was 11 in 1974. Just tell us (as it is currently 2012) 6 years ago.
* Perspective: 3D? 2D? 2.5D? Isometric? Tile-based? First Person? Third Person? ... Second Person!?
* Art style: Cell shaded? Sprite-based? Foggy? Live Action? Particular special effects you remember? Any movie sequences you remember?
* Environment: What sort of places were you in? Times? What specific types of monsters did you fight? Bosses? Who was the protagonist? Any NPCs you remember? Dialog? Weapons? Remember dying a lot? What killed you?
* Mood: Was the game Dark or was it Hopeful? Was there an overwhelming sense of crushing despair, or was it a bright and happy candy land?
* Genre: Multiplayer? Shooter? Action? Adventure? RPG? Arcade? Puzzle-based? Strategy? RTS? Text adventure?
* Gameplay: Action? Turn-based? Did you have stats/levels? Remember any puzzles? What buttons did you press to control the protagonist? Was there a party of characters or a solo protagonist? Were you able to create a character and choose skills at the beginning, or were your skills pre-chosen (if any)? In short, How Did You Play The Game? What actions did you take?

For ease in Copy-Pasting, use this. Remember, try to answer all of the questions that you can, but not every game can actually answer every question. Tetris doesn't really have a mood. Zork doesn't have an art style. Progress Quest doesn't have gameplay... you get the idea.
Code: Select all
    * [b]Background[/b]:
    * [b]System[/b]:
    * [b]Year[/b]:
    * [b]Perspective[/b]:
    * [b]Art style[/b]:
    * [b]Environment[/b]:
    * [b]Mood[/b]:
    * [b]Genre[/b]:
    * [b]Gameplay[/b]:

Thanks, Felstaff! - ST
Felstaff wrote:'Game Perspective' Information:

• Top Down
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Micro Machines, Grand Theft Auto 1, Re:Loaded, Smash TV, Gauntlet
  • Isometric (Raised view with a fixed 45 degree angle looking down)
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Desert Strike, Farmville, Gangsters, Toejam & Earl, early Command & Conquer games, Commandos, Sim City, UFO
  • Side-Scrolling
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: R-Type, Metal Slug, Thunder Force, Braid, Menace, Lemmings, Kolibri (arguably the best hummingbird-based shooter on the 32X)
  • 2D-Platform
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Prince of Persia, Flashback ("2D Isometric Platformers") Trine, Crash Bandicoot ("Pseudo-3D Platformers"), Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Alfred Chicken, New Zealand Story, Castlevania
  • 3D-Platform
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Tomb Raider, Gex: Enter the Gecko, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • 1st-Person Perspective ("through the eyes of the character")
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Goldeneye, Call of Duty, Medal of Hono(u)r, Doom, Half-Life, Elder Scrolls, Quake, Myst, Mechwarrior, Flight Simulator
  • 3rd-Person Perspective (camera generally behind and above the playable character. "back of the head view")
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Fade to Black, Mass Effect, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Tomb Raider, Rainbow 6, Super Monkey Ball

Most games encompass at least two of these perspectives. For instance, Prince of Persia could be a third-person, side-scrolling, isometric, 2D-platformer. All top-down perspectives are, by default, 3rd-person perspectives, with the exception of Pest Control!, which is a 1st-person perspective top-down shooter
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby Aluminus » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:14 am UTC

Claymation one is Neverhood. Very twisted game, in retrospect.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.
Aluminus

Postby Aradae » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

Thanks, I found the scene where it happened too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc5DTulm ... re=related
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.
Aradae

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Ok this game most likely has an O in the title.
The permise of the game is a turn based grid square rpg, where there are some freakish abominations (Like a chainsaw man hands or somesuch) you train up levels in using pistols/rifles whatever guns you have, and there is one good abomination that joins your team for a while.
Ian Ex Machina

Postby CrackTheSky » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:00 am UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:Ok this game most likely has an O in the title.
The permise of the game is a turn based grid square rpg, where there are some freakish abominations (Like a chainsaw man hands or somesuch) you train up levels in using pistols/rifles whatever guns you have, and there is one good abomination that joins your team for a while.

Tactics Ogre? I've never played it and really know nothing about it other than it's a tactics RPG ("turn-based grid square RPG") with 'O' in the title ;)
CrackTheSky

Postby __Kit » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:28 am UTC

Old game for N64, it was kind of 2D, all I remember was you were a girl with green hair dressed in a red and white space suit kinda thing. And you had to save your dad (or was it a proffesor?)/ Also I think breaking bricks was a part of it. Platform game.
=]
__Kit

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

Remember the system it was on? Computer? Genesis? Playtendo 360?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Aradae wrote:Another one was for the sega (I think) where you played as a guy that had a sword for his hand.

Castlevania, mayhaps?

The only other game I could think of is maybe from the days of Turbo Grafix 16, which looked something similar to Zelda. I don't remember the name of it, but my dad had rented it (the system as well) one weekend many, many years ago.
PRG

An important message for you:

PatrickRsGhost

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:40 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Remember the system it was on? Computer? Genesis? Playtendo 360?

Oh sorry yeh, well I had it as a PC version.
It was set near russia/ukraine in game I think too.
Ian Ex Machina

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:00 am UTC

__Kit wrote:Old game for N64, it was kind of 2D, all I remember was you were a girl with green hair dressed in a red and white space suit kinda thing. And you had to save your dad (or was it a proffesor?)/ Also I think breaking bricks was a part of it. Platform game.

I think that was "Mischief Makers"
Yuri2356

Postby The Ethos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:45 am UTC

I am ready to stump the crowd.

This was a text adventure. You are in a soviet prison cell. There is a newspaper on the floor. There is a door but no key. I think there may have been a barred window.

That was pretty much all the setup.

Anyone? Bueler?
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture
The Ethos

Postby Hangar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:18 am UTC

You might try Baf's Guide to the IF archive. The advance search is pretty detailed. Though I think most of the games are post-1990.

I have one, but it's an incredibly sketchy memory from my childhood. I've looked for the game but have very little to go on. It's from the 8-bit era, probably NES, as that was the only console I had, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't on Macs, though maybe I played it at someone else's house. You're this guy in a brown cloak, I always think of him as a monk. It's sort of an action-adventure. I don't remember any fighting, but there were different puzzles you'd have to get across. Think A Boy and his Blob, though even worse in quality. I can't quite remember if it was a sidescroller or worked like the original Zelda; it might have been a combination of the two, different in different areas. Right, I do know that there were barriers between areas like in Zelda, where you're only in once scene at a time, though it didn't scroll. I kinda remember it being in a slightly urban-looking setting; an image that comes to mind is a big gash in a street you could fall into.

edit: Maybe the text adventure is Escape from S.S.A.D.B.? This sound familiar?

You are in a cell where prisoners are kept. The second part of this two room
cell is to the north while a crack in the ceiling is letting in a large amount
of light.
Hangar

Postby JayDee » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:49 am UTC

The Ethos wrote:This was a text adventure. You are in a soviet prison cell. There is a newspaper on the floor. There is a door but no key. I think there may have been a barred window.
'Tis a rather common if setup. There is an IFWiki page for Jailbreak games, but it looks like only modern games are on the list. More information (like decade, what system you played it on, for instance) could be useful. In any case, I bet you had to put the newspaper under the door and poke the key out of the keyhole, etc. etc.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.
JayDee

Postby The Ethos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:52 am UTC

I am so impressed. That Escape from SSA whatever IS IT.

Good job! Thanks! I remembered that the file was soviet.bas but when I looked for games called soviet/sodat/whatever google couldn't find it.

/Woot!
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture
The Ethos

Postby FACM » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

Hangar wrote:I have one, but it's an incredibly sketchy memory from my childhood. I've looked for the game but have very little to go on. It's from the 8-bit era, probably NES, as that was the only console I had, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't on Macs, though maybe I played it at someone else's house. You're this guy in a brown cloak, I always think of him as a monk. It's sort of an action-adventure. I don't remember any fighting, but there were different puzzles you'd have to get across. Think A Boy and his Blob, though even worse in quality. I can't quite remember if it was a sidescroller or worked like the original Zelda; it might have been a combination of the two, different in different areas. Right, I do know that there were barriers between areas like in Zelda, where you're only in once scene at a time, though it didn't scroll. I kinda remember it being in a slightly urban-looking setting; an image that comes to mind is a big gash in a street you could fall into.

Is it Nightshade? It's the only thing I can think of that sounds similar to your description.
FACM

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

The permise of the game is a turn based grid square rpg, where there are some freakish abominations (Like a chainsaw man hands or somesuch) you train up levels in using pistols/rifles whatever guns you have, and there is one good abomination that joins your team for a while. I had it as a PC version. It was set near russia/ukraine in game I think too.

Gorky_17 / Odium?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Aradae » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

It's not castlevania.

It's a ninja game. I think the second stage had a part where you had to jump on logs in a waterfall.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.
Aradae

Postby Hangar » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

FACM wrote:Is it Nightshade? It's the only thing I can think of that sounds similar to your description.

That's a pretty cool game, but no, it isn't so dark, nor can you examine objects like that. It might not have been NES. I suppose it could have been a recurring dream.
Hangar

Postby Jesse » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

A nuclear bomb was on an unstoppable course, you had to get into different vehicles to smash the buildings that are in the way to avert nuclear disaster. It was for the N64 and driving the Backlash was an arsehole.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:A nuclear bomb was on an unstoppable course, you had to get into different vehicles to smash the buildings that are in the way to avert nuclear disaster. It was for the N64 and driving the Backlash was an arsehole.

Blast Corps

Good times, those were.
Yuri2356

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
The permise of the game is a turn based grid square rpg, where there are some freakish abominations (Like a chainsaw man hands or somesuch) you train up levels in using pistols/rifles whatever guns you have, and there is one good abomination that joins your team for a while. I had it as a PC version. It was set near russia/ukraine in game I think too.

Gorky_17 / Odium?

Yes :D
Thank you, it's been such a while since I played it.
Ian Ex Machina

Postby __Kit » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
__Kit wrote:Old game for N64, it was kind of 2D, all I remember was you were a girl with green hair dressed in a red and white space suit kinda thing. And you had to save your dad (or was it a proffesor?)/ Also I think breaking bricks was a part of it. Platform game.

I think that was "Mischief Makers"

Ahh yes. Thankyou. God I hated that game.
=]
__Kit

Postby Delbin » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:38 am UTC

There was a game for playstation 2 I think. You were a samurai/ninja and had to find your body parts. The beginning of the game had you seeing in black and white until you found your eye from the first boss.

I never played it, but always wanted to.
Delbin

Postby NathanielJ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

Delbin wrote:There was a game for playstation 2 I think. You were a samurai/ninja and had to find your body parts. The beginning of the game had you seeing in black and white until you found your eye from the first boss.

I never played it, but always wanted to.

The game is called "Blood Will Tell".
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com
NathanielJ

Postby Rodan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

This is a game I've never played, but was described to me as being awesome. Apparently it was a downloaded game (for money), the basic concept is that you have a bunch of people (multiplayer, I believe), and each one is assigned another person to eliminate. Once you do eliminate said target, you get a new target and so on.
It sounded very paranoia-filled and awesome, but I've since completely forgotten the title.
Rodan
Any title.

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

That sounds like a pay version of Assassin. Well, at least if you're "killing" people in meatspace.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Rodan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Hmmm... Interesting. That looks really awesome as well. But it could be or it might not be, I really have no idea.
Rodan
Any title.

Postby Durinthal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:23 am UTC

New request: The game I'm thinking of is an older (before 2002) PC turn-based strategy game where each turn was either a season or a year. It was medieval fantasy in style and and I believe you had to build up different improvements around your town, like mines or farms.

I know it's not any of the Heroes of Might and Magic or Lords of the Realm titles, and I don't think it's a Warlords title. That's not much to go on, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Durinthal

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:04 am UTC

First that comes to mind is the Total War game series, did it have magic n stuff?
Cause TW is all realism.
Or pehaps Warlords, but thats like, pre 1995.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...
ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby The Skoot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

Aradae wrote:It's not castlevania.

It's a ninja game. I think the second stage had a part where you had to jump on logs in a waterfall.

The Revenge of Shinobi?

The guy had a sword for a hand on the box art, and I seem to remember waterfall logs in conjunction with that game.
The Skoot

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

Tokyo (stage 2): Musashi begins this stage near a rocky canyon. Winged ninja swoop down from the sky to attack Joe. Once he makes it past the waterfalls,...

familiar?
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...
ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby hendusoone » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:This is a game I've never played, but was described to me as being awesome. Apparently it was a downloaded game (for money), the basic concept is that you have a bunch of people (multiplayer, I believe), and each one is assigned another person to eliminate. Once you do eliminate said target, you get a new target and so on.
It sounded very paranoia-filled and awesome, but I've since completely forgotten the title.

This sounds very much like The Ship, but it's entirely possible that there is another game with the same objectives.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

James Bond game for the spectrum? Maybe C64 or Amiga? Can't remember--a friend had it.

It was a top-down vertical-scrolling xenon-type game, except you were in a spy-car, spy-helicopter, or spy-plane, and went up ramps, flying over obstacles, shooting bad guys who attacked from the top of the screen. It was like the car level in Crash Test Dummies. My God, that was an awesome game.

Also: Rage? Or something? You were 1 of 3 Godzilla/King Kong-esque monsters and had to destroy the city by pummelling buildings, as soldiers, tanks and helicopters attacked you. It was a late 80s/early 90s gem.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby hendusoone » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Also: Rage? Or something? You were 1 of 3 Godzilla/King Kong-esque monsters and had to destroy the city by pummelling buildings, as soldiers, tanks and helicopters attacked you. It was a late 80s/early 90s gem.

Rampage. I enjoyed the N64 version, Rampage World Tour.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:Rampage. I enjoyed the N64 version, Rampage World Tour.

Rampage. Of course. Thank you. I missed out the 'amp'. Anyone remember Premiere? That game where you play a Macauley-Culkin-style kid who has to battle through Hollywood Movie sets? Really? It was awesome, wasn't it. Case closed.

I love this En-GB Firefox dictionary. Word not recognised: "movie". Good show, old bean.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Rodan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:This sounds very much like The Ship, but it's entirely possible that there is another game with the same objectives.

Awesomesauce. That's probably it, thanks.
Now if I can just find an extra $20...
Rodan
Any title.

Postby Durinthal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

ThorFluff wrote:First that comes to mind is the Total War game series, did it have magic n stuff?
Cause TW is all realism.
Or pehaps Warlords, but thats like, pre 1995.

I forgot to mention that it wasn't any TW game either. It wasn't realistic, but I can't remember if it had many fantasy elements or not. Definitely no 3D, though I believe it used 2D sprites that moved around the map; it was almost certainly published between 1995 and 2000 or so and the latter year would have been the last time I played it. I'm not really counting on getting an answer, I just was curious if anyone happened to know it off-hand.
Durinthal

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Text based RPGs with images for the Apple //c (probably on the C64, too)...
One was set in the wild west. The beginning of the game had you play poker where you had to win, be called a cheat, then shoot your opponent. Eventually you went searching for gold. You also got a mule.
Edit: Figured it out: Gunslinger. Unfortunately, VirtualApple.org lacks it.

The other was a very dark magic/fantasy RPG with creepy music. Text-adventure with pictures again. You walked around and I don't remember fights, just a lot of going here and there. At one point I think you come across a roc's nest. Magic or Magician was in the title, I believe. Ooh, I think it started out with you being sucked into this fantasy world from contemporary times and you were trying to find your way back out.
Edit: AHA! It was Dark Lord! And the music still creeps me out.
Last edited by ZeroSum on Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:41 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby Various Varieties » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:James Bond game for the spectrum? Maybe C64 or Amiga? Can't remember--a friend had it.

The only C64 007 game I've played was Live and Let Die, but that was a speedboat game viewed from behind. (Unless it had other levels/view modes I don't know about.)
Various Varieties

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:James Bond game for the spectrum? Maybe C64 or Amiga? Can't remember--a friend had it.

It was a top-down vertical-scrolling xenon-type game, except you were in a spy-car, spy-helicopter, or spy-plane, and went up ramps, flying over obstacles, shooting bad guys who attacked from the top of the screen. It was like the car level in Crash Test Dummies. My God, that was an awesome game.

This sounds sort of like Spy Hunter.
Yuri2356

Next

Return to Gaming