Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ACU-LP

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:23 am UTC

* Background: I used to play the game on an old dell XPS PC (i.e. when I was 6 or around that time). I remember it because you had to save a dog, but there were these robot things, and lasers that bounced off mirrors and big red balls you put in the way of the lasers so you could pass.
* Year: I played it mid to late 90's, but it could have been out longer.
* Perspective: The view is from the top. Each step takes you a block in whichever direction.
* Art style: No movie sequences, it was simple....I dont really remember the type of graphics. I guess like a zelda game graphics.
* Environment: I got killed a lot by lasers and robots. I remember a lot of what I think was steel. No real bosses to speak of (or at least none that I got to).
* Mood: Quite cheerful. Lots of red and silver/steel.
* Genre: Puzzle-based
* Gameplay: You had to save a dog. I remember something to do with 'red rover'. But you were hindered by lasers and fast moving robots. You used arrow keys to control the protagonist. I only remember the one guy and his dog. No skills.

I loved this game, but never got very far because everybody else wanted to use that computer and it was very hard, then it was accidentally removed from said computer, and I have never been able to find it since.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

professorflux

Postby professorflux » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

* Background: I've been looking for this game for years...going on 5...any insight would be helpful. I'm willing to even relook at the obvious (FF will come to mind for many) but over the years I've found those to be laking certain elements. The game was either for the NES or SNES.
* Year: I borrowed this game in the late 80's early 90's from a friend.
* Perspective: The view is from the top.
* Art style: Simple
* Environment: Large outdoor world, simple old school RPG villages.
* Genre: RPG
* Gameplay: I remember bits a pieces, here are the things that are notably different: 1. Certain areas of land were poisonous (I think they were green), if you stepped on it you were poisoned and would lose HP for every step (one square block) you took there after until healed. 2. You had a party - but you didn't necessarily start with one. As the game went on you could find new party members and add them/kick them out (its not Suikoden). 3. Pirate ships would land on the shore on the large map, if you got to them and engaged them (bumped them) and won, you got control of their ship and could sail a rather large world map (its not New Horizons). 4. You could find things like ginseng and combine them to make potions. 5. You could buy tents to create a save point in the wilderness (anywhere on the large map) 6. I seem to remember a place you could go to see a telescope like thing that showed you the world, or something (kind of like a map?) 7. For one of the 'dungeons' you had to go underwater and had to have an item to let you breathe (i think). 8. I think the party walked behind you when in towns and "in you" on the world map.(6-8 are a little scetchy in my memory, the others are as clear as day)

Any insight is apreciated.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:* Background: I used to play the game on an old dell XPS PC (i.e. when I was 6 or around that time). I remember it because you had to save a dog, but there were these robot things, and lasers that bounced off mirrors and big red balls you put in the way of the lasers so you could pass.
* Perspective: The view is from the top. Each step takes you a block in whichever direction.
* Art style: No movie sequences, it was simple....I dont really remember the type of graphics. I guess like a zelda game graphics.
* Environment: I got killed a lot by lasers and robots. I remember a lot of what I think was steel. No real bosses to speak of (or at least none that I got to).
* Gameplay: You had to save a dog. I remember something to do with 'red rover'. But you were hindered by lasers and fast moving robots. You used arrow keys to control the protagonist. I only remember the one guy and his dog. No skills.

I loved this game, but never got very far because everybody else wanted to use that computer and it was very hard, then it was accidentally removed from said computer, and I have never been able to find it since.

Can't find a link, but I'm sure I've played it, The name Ket is in my head but i'm not that sure it is the game's name.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

professorflux wrote:* Background: I've been looking for this game for years...going on 5...any insight would be helpful. I'm willing to even relook at the obvious (FF will come to mind for many) but over the years I've found those to be laking certain elements. The game was either for the NES or SNES.
* Year: I borrowed this game in the late 80's early 90's from a friend.
* Perspective: The view is from the top.
* Art style: Simple
* Environment: Large outdoor world, simple old school RPG villages.
* Genre: RPG
* Gameplay: I remember bits a pieces, here are the things that are notably different: 1. Certain areas of land were poisonous (I think they were green), if you stepped on it you were poisoned and would lose HP for every step (one square block) you took there after until healed. 2. You had a party - but you didn't necessarily start with one. As the game went on you could find new party members and add them/kick them out (its not Suikoden). 3. Pirate ships would land on the shore on the large map, if you got to them and engaged them (bumped them) and won, you got control of their ship and could sail a rather large world map (its not New Horizons). 4. You could find things like ginseng and combine them to make potions. 5. You could buy tents to create a save point in the wilderness (anywhere on the large map) 6. I seem to remember a place you could go to see a telescope like thing that showed you the world, or something (kind of like a map?) 7. For one of the 'dungeons' you had to go underwater and had to have an item to let you breathe (i think). 8. I think the party walked behind you when in towns and "in you" on the world map.(6-8 are a little scetchy in my memory, the others are as clear as day)

Any insight is apreciated.
Parts of that kinda sound like Ultima 4.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:* Background: I used to play the game on an old dell XPS PC (i.e. when I was 6 or around that time). I remember it because you had to save a dog, but there were these robot things, and lasers that bounced off mirrors and big red balls you put in the way of the lasers so you could pass.

RESCUE FUCKIN' ROVER!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

professorflux

Postby professorflux » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Talon, I'd kiss you if I could...thank you, this is it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

Well.. your memory is somewhat wrong. The reagents were for spells, not potions.

Anyway. it's freeware now. So get it, play it, buy the ones that came after, play them, play Ultima 8 and mutter "This.. isn't right..", play 9 and want to stab people in the face for what they did to it. I take that back.. I can't find any references to it being freeware anymore. Huh.

Alright.. THIS page which lists a crapload of previously-buyable-but-now-freeware games says it's Freeware. So I'm going to believe them.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:23 am UTC

It's complicated, but generally understood to be freeware, I think. From the U4 discussion page on wikipedia:
Well, Home of the Underdogs [1] refers to Origin releasing it as freeware as part of a marketing campaign for Ultima IX. Auric's Ultima Moongates [2] has, under the 'Ultima History' for Ultima IV, references to this release, but notes it is not freeware. (I'm wondering if Auric is or was confused between freeware and public domain.) There's also a trivia comment in MobyGames' site for U4[3], but all these instances I've found probably don't count as W:RS. Anything sounding remotely authorative refer to the Ultima Dragons fan club being given specific permission for free redestribution of U4 in 1997. U9 came out in 1999, so the Dragons' citations of authority end up being outdated...
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Insizor

Postby Insizor » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:58 am UTC

* Background: Okay, I remember this game, I'm pretty sure it was just some Generic little turn-based fighting game, similar to FF, (At least, it probably was?) and the main thing that I remember about it was these little weird cat-esque thingers, which must've been like pets or something. I believe they were red and reminded me of a mix between Eevee and Vulpix... This game has haunted me for years.
* Year: Probably was post-2000, and it was probably on one of the Playstations.
* Perspective: 3D third person... I'm pretty certain it was.
* Environment: I'm moderately certain I was hitting people with swords.
* Genre: Adventure, I suppose. (Possibly? What does that even mean, anyway?)
* Gameplay: Turn-based, (though it may have also been a hack and slash adventure game, I really don't think it was.)

Yeah, I was probably very, very young when I played this, which would be why I have no real way of telling anybody anything about the video game. Like, at all.

(Also, there was another game, the same as the one above, 'cept without the cat thingers. I remember it was nearly exactly like FF in playstyle, and there was this skinny shirtless dude in your party who would hit stuff with a staff. Also, I believe the word "Fire" was in the name, but it also could have very well totally not been. I'm a bit indecisive about all of this, eh?)

Affableprechaun

Postby Affableprechaun » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:18 am UTC

* Year: Probably late 90's.
* Genre: Racing
* Environment: Various locations on a empty planet.
* Background: So this game I used to play, it was a racer. And the premise was that a once thriving planet had been hit by some disaster (virus is the stand by here), and now there was a race for the final spaceship off the planet. Anyone remember/know this game?

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:54 am UTC

Wasn't Powerslide a post-apocalyptic racing game?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

Insizor wrote:* Background: Okay, I remember this game, I'm pretty sure it was just some Generic little turn-based fighting game, similar to FF, (At least, it probably was?) and the main thing that I remember about it was these little weird cat-esque thingers, which must've been like pets or something. I believe they were red and reminded me of a mix between Eevee and Vulpix... This game has haunted me for years.
* Gameplay: Turn-based, (though it may have also been a hack and slash adventure game, I really don't think it was.)

Yeah, I was probably very, very young when I played this, which would be why I have no real way of telling anybody anything about the video game. Like, at all.

(Also, there was another game, the same as the one above, 'cept without the cat thingers. I remember it was nearly exactly like FF in playstyle, and there was this skinny shirtless dude in your party who would hit stuff with a staff. Also, I believe the word "Fire" was in the name, but it also could have very well totally not been. I'm a bit indecisive about all of this, eh?)

Adventure would be something like The Legend of Zelda or even Tomb Raider - not turn-based, no stats to speak of, but you do get better as you go - usually due to upgraded equipment. A lot of the gameplay is usually focused not so much on getting better stats or even destroying monsters, but on simple exploration.

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

Insizor wrote:* Background: Okay, I remember this game, I'm pretty sure it was just some Generic little turn-based fighting game, similar to FF, (At least, it probably was?) and the main thing that I remember about it was these little weird cat-esque thingers, which must've been like pets or something. I believe they were red and reminded me of a mix between Eevee and Vulpix... This game has haunted me for years.

It might help you to quickly scan this list of Playstation RPGs. The only thing I can think of for the second game is Breath of Fire IV.
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

dopeghoti

Postby dopeghoti » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

Okay, I've got one that's been nagging me ever since I started playing The Ur-Quan Masters again..

* Background: PC game, DOS based, or possibly Win'95
* Year: I want to say early to mid-'90s
* Perspective: Most interactions were through a faux-interface; your screen contained the interface for some sort of starship control system.
* Art style: VGA pixel art; I don't recall any rotoscoping.
* Gameplay/Environment: You were 'in charge' of some sort of space exploration/colonization/mining project. Part of the game was selecting encoded personalities for the various crew members which were generally stored, inert. Part of the game was preventing the 'crew' from 'degrading' or somehow succumbing to entropy. Part of the planetary exploration was a scanning interface similar to Star Control 2 (which is what jogged this disjointed memory in the first place). There may have been diplomacy or conversations with alien races, I do not recall. I can't say if it was controlled exclusively from the keyboard, or if there was some mousing involved.
* Mood: Dark? I want to say most of the interface was dark blue or gray.
* Genre: Sci-Fi strategy/adventure

My eternal gratitude to anyone who can dredge this up; it's been bugging me for weeks!

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 am UTC

* Background: It was a browser game. It was claimed tha the instruction manual was lost and the text was in a forgien language, but I believe it never had a manual and the text was gibberish.
* Year: I think I played it within a year or two from today.
* Perspective: 2D, side view. Motion was very insignificant.
* Art style: Sprite-based, faux NES style. as though they tried to make it look older then it was.
* Mood: Confusing, most of the play time is spend figuring out the objective.
* Genre: Mystery.
* Gameplay: You had to find an egg. On the map you could go to any of the locations. Each location had one person. For each person, place, or object you encountered you had a picture of it in your menu, when you selected it in front of a person the picture of the person/place/object they assocated with it was displayed. You got the egg when you shot the person who had it. You lost if time experied or you shot too many innocent people (else the quickest way to win wouldn have been to shoot everyone)
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:* Background: It was a browser game. It was claimed tha the instruction manual was lost and the text was in a forgien language, but I believe it never had a manual and the text was gibberish.
* Year: I think I played it within a year or two from today.
* Perspective: 2D, side view. Motion was very insignificant.
* Art style: Sprite-based, faux NES style. as though they tried to make it look older then it was.
* Mood: Confusing, most of the play time is spend figuring out the objective.
* Genre: Mystery.
* Gameplay: You had to find an egg. On the map you could go to any of the locations. Each location had one person. For each person, place, or object you encountered you had a picture of it in your menu, when you selected it in front of a person the picture of the person/place/object they assocated with it was displayed. You got the egg when you shot the person who had it. You lost if time experied or you shot too many innocent people (else the quickest way to win wouldn have been to shoot everyone)

That's Where's an egg?, a game made by Videlectrix (the fictitious Homestarrunner game company).
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:27 am UTC

thanks
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

bereel29

Postby bereel29 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 am UTC

Hello, there was a game I use to play back in 97. It was a medievel knight game. The object of the game was to conquer the majority of the land. You started out with one knight, which you get to name. Then you set off to different areas to start taken over various lands. You attack castles that are armed with different oppositions. You might encounter armies that have wizards, demons and other knights with different power objects, such as the sceptor of light or something similar to that. You can make armies of powerful wolfpacks and different species of humans. I know many details of the game but I can't remember the name. I use to play it on my friend's PC. If you have any idea what this game was called I will be truly grateful.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:32 am UTC

Heroes of Might & Magic?

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:53 am UTC

Disciples 2?
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

Did it look anything like this? I absolutely loved playing this game hot seat with a couple of my friends.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

bereel29

Postby bereel29 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

Sorry, I checked the games that you all suggested but they were not the one I was looking for. The graphics for this game was not that defined. I do remember that when the battle began the two armies would be lined in front of each other. And as they were killed you would see them being eliminated. By the way thanks for the responses though.

Osha

Postby Osha » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:05 am UTC

Eh never mind, I found it after googling around for windows helicopter games.
It's Blitzer, and there's a shareware version avaliable

Hey,

There's a game I remember playing a long time ago, probably around 1997.
It was for windows, probably 3.1. It came on a collection of floppies along with a breakout clone, hexagonal tetris, and possibly an asteroids clone.
The graphics were simple, probably black pixels on a white background. You'd pilot a helicopter into a network of caves to rescue scientists from aliens (the scientists would stand on little platforms and wave their arms and you'd have to land w/o crashing). You could refuel somehow, and you could shoot bullets which could take little chunks out of the wall.
The perspective was 2D and viewed from the side. It was hard for me at the time and I never lasted more than a few minutes.
Last edited by Osha on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:41 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:22 am UTC

bereel29 wrote:Sorry, I checked the games that you all suggested but they were not the one I was looking for. The graphics for this game was not that defined. I do remember that when the battle began the two armies would be lined in front of each other. And as they were killed you would see them being eliminated. By the way thanks for the responses though.

Warlords? (The picture is Warlords 2 but if it's not Heroes of Might and Magic this is my next guess)
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Affableprechaun

Postby Affableprechaun » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:03 am UTC

Affableprechaun wrote:* Year: Probably late 90's.
* Genre: Racing
* Environment: Various locations on a empty planet.
* Background: So this game I used to play, it was a racer. And the premise was that a once thriving planet had been hit by some disaster (virus is the stand by here), and now there was a race for the final spaceship off the planet. Anyone remember/know this game?

So, found my own game. POD. There a few related youtube links and combined with the comments you can get a good feel for the game. Glad I finally found it.

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

Computer Game, got it when I was little, probably around 98 or 99, no bets. I picked it up at a barnes and noble.
Darkish mood, was an RTS with diablo2-esque graphics. I cannot remember buildings on my side in the first few levels, and it had extensive camera control.
I remember a level with a river in the center, you start on the left, and fight a variety of stuff on the right.
It lists casualties, and you can check the kills of each unit. There were dwarves, and a level attacking (or defending) a castle, like the third or fourth.
I am a 14 year old who types at 60 words per minute and can read at a post-college level.
Please view my articles!
http://www.triond.com/users/ralith

Cleverdan22

Postby Cleverdan22 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

So there was some RPG for the DS being planned awhile back, where you played as Tingle and hired henchmen to fight for you. Anybody know what that game's title is?

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

Ralith wrote:Computer Game, got it when I was little, probably around 98 or 99, no bets. I picked it up at a barnes and noble.
Darkish mood, was an RTS with diablo2-esque graphics. I cannot remember buildings on my side in the first few levels, and it had extensive camera control.
I remember a level with a river in the center, you start on the left, and fight a variety of stuff on the right.
It lists casualties, and you can check the kills of each unit. There were dwarves, and a level attacking (or defending) a castle, like the third or fourth.

Reformatted, try using the form next time so people can understand what you're saying.:

* Background: Computer Game, I picked it up at a barnes and noble.
* Year: Got it when I was little, probably around 98 or 99, no bets.
* Perspective: It had extensive camera control.
* Art style: Diablo2-esque graphics.
* Mood: Darkish mood
* Genre: RTS
* Gameplay: I remember a level with a river in the center, you start on the left, and fight a variety of stuff on the right.

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:26 am UTC

Sorry. I are the nubliness with forums. Ask me how to build a PC? No problem. Software? I'm above average, but..
I am a 14 year old who types at 60 words per minute and can read at a post-college level.
Please view my articles!

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:54 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:
* Background: Computer Game, I picked it up at a barnes and noble.
* Year: Got it when I was little, probably around 98 or 99, no bets.
* Perspective: It had extensive camera control.
* Art style: Diablo2-esque graphics.
* Mood: Darkish mood
* Gameplay: I remember a level with a river in the center, you start on the left, and fight a variety of stuff on the right.

Sounds like Myth to me. Most likely Myth II:
myth2-a.jpg
myth2-a.jpg (69.65 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 am UTC

YES THANK YOU!
Please view my articles!

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:19 am UTC

* Background: Computer Game, I only remember playing the demo for it, which was one level that had a backwards Z layout to the map.
* Year: 1995-1999, probably not 2000. No later than 2002 for sure.
* Perspective: Top down, sort of "The Settlers" style
* Art style: Also "The Settlers" Style graphics, big-headed characters. Each one was relatively small, each was maybe a half-inch high on an average monitor.
* Mood: Medieval, slightly comedic rather than serious.
* Gameplay: Very similar to Majesty/Hinterland. You would build a town, and NPC heroes would come to it and buy equipment and such before setting off and killing monsters. I think the player had some control over where these heroes went, but I'm not sure.
Edit: Also, it wasn't "stronghold", either of the two games that shared the name Stronghold (The 2nd edition D&D town building one, or the medieval-warfare-and-sieges one).

Ubersmush

Postby Ubersmush » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:16 am UTC

bereel29 wrote:Hello, there was a game I use to play back in 97. It was a medievel knight game. The object of the game was to conquer the majority of the land. You started out with one knight, which you get to name. Then you set off to different areas to start taken over various lands. You attack castles that are armed with different oppositions. You might encounter armies that have wizards, demons and other knights with different power objects, such as the sceptor of light or something similar to that. You can make armies of powerful wolfpacks and different species of humans. I know many details of the game but I can't remember the name. I use to play it on my friend's PC. If you have any idea what this game was called I will be truly grateful.

Sounds a lot like one of my favourite games: Lords of Magic

Vertana

Finding an old SNES game...

Postby Vertana » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:43 am UTC

I've been searching for awhile now and I cannot find this game to save my life. I don't remember the name of the game, wherein lies my problem. It was a side scroller adventure game where the main character was a mouse. The mouse wore blue (I'm going off of memory here) armor and used a sword for melee attacks. One of the levels involved a mine cart and the boss of that level was a train (Doomtrain style). I know this is incredibly vague, but I remember having fun as a kid with this game and it's bothering me that I can't remember the name of it. That's what led me to just ask on the forums. Thanks in advance ^^

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Finding an old SNES game...

Postby aion7 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:19 am UTC

Vertana wrote:I've been searching for awhile now and I cannot find this game to save my life. I don't remember the name of the game, wherein lies my problem. It was a side scroller adventure game where the main character was a mouse. The mouse wore blue (I'm going off of memory here) armor and used a sword for melee attacks. One of the levels involved a mine cart and the boss of that level was a train (Doomtrain style). I know this is incredibly vague, but I remember having fun as a kid with this game and it's bothering me that I can't remember the name of it. That's what led me to just ask on the forums. Thanks in advance ^^

Rocket Knight Adventures on the Genesis. That game rawks so hard. I still play it on occasion.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

Cleverdan22 wrote:So there was some RPG for the DS being planned awhile back, where you played as Tingle and hired henchmen to fight for you. Anybody know what that game's title is?

Freshly-Picked tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (If the link doesn't work for you, try replacing %27 with ') - ST

I'm not making this up.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Sovilous

Postby Sovilous » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:42 am UTC

Hello people!
So:
I'm looking for an NES game that I vaguely remember. I didn't get very far in it, so I can't give you details, but here's what I remember:
It is a 2D game, side view. You start off in, I think, a tree house of some kind. There are several different characters that you can choose from, and can switch between them by returning to the starting location. After leaving the start, you go underground and fight monsters. I think that the goal of the quest was to defeat some sort of dragon.
EDIT: Okay, nevermind; it's called Legacy of the Wizard.

Kayube

Postby Kayube » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:59 am UTC

This program for the Apple II that had a bunch of parts to it- I know there was one based on the Game of Life, one where you had circuits, and one where there were lines running around the screen and you could pick chords of music that would affect the lines...

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

Remember, new people, we have a format for this thread when you make requests, makes it much easier to read what you're saying, and prompts for more info. Saying "it had a bunch of parts to it, and one was like this" doesn't help nearly as much as giving specific examples and letting us know every small detail you can remember.

* Background:
* Year:
* Perspective:
* Art style:
* Mood:
* Genre:
* Gameplay:

Physics_Geek3.14

Postby Physics_Geek3.14 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

Ok so this is a long shot, but I've been trying to re-find this game for a few weeks

* Background: I played this game last year though it's a retro game I got off some site like Abandonia or the like. The premise was that your character had just returned from some space mission at near light speed. So due the relativistic effects the rest of humanity has long since advanced and is now in ruins, with Earth being completely empty. You find a terminal and start looking up the history of humanity trying to find out what has happened. I do recall that the story and text of the game was lated published online as a sort of novella but I can't find that either.
* Year: Not sure but it was very old. Most likely from the 80s, maybe early 90's?
* Perspective: The only thing you interact with is the terminal. So I guess you would say first person, but all you seen is a computer screen.
* Art style: The game was almost only text based, there were some graphical icons that you used to navigate through the terminal but everything else was text based.
* Environment/Mood: I honestly can't remember. I don't think there was any background music or sound effect to set mood and the interface as mentioned was only text and a few graphics.
* Genre: Text adventure? You didn't use commands like "get ye flask" or "go Dennis" but it's the best classification I can think of.
* Gameplay: You had to work your way through a set of 9 (I think) databases and reading articles in one data base would open new ones in other databases. For example you may read an article in the "World Event's" database that would mention some new technology and this would unlock an article in the "Science" database. It was like trolling through Wikipedia but you had to go through the articles in chronological order. (ie you needed to read what happened in the 2130's before you could read the 2140's) I seem to recall that there were journal fragments throughout the databases that gave a more human feel to the narrative instead of just facts and dates.

Return to “Gaming”