Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby Deva » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:59 pm UTC

horza wrote:* System: PC.
* Year: 2002+ (After neveriwnter nights, iirc - because i remember comparing it with nwn)
* Perspective: isometric but controllable camera (much like NWN)
* Art style: Looks a bit like Paradox's "Runemaster"
* Environment: medieval, historical/realistic (no magic iirc)
* Mood: dark, realistic stuff
* Genre: rpg/arpg(?),
* Gameplay: I've only read an article about it, so not sure about that.

The thing that stands out though, and if you've played it or heard about it it will surely ring the bell, is that it promised a "realistic items stats" in which swords for example, don't have your regular % to hit, damage, etc. but instead have "blade quality", "weight", "balance" which would somehow yield its effectiveness in combat.

I keep turning to "Runemaster" - which ticks all the boxes but can't confirm it also had that itemization, so i'm at a loss. Please help.

Mount & Blade? Sees Speed, Reach, Swing, Thrust, and Weight as one-handed weapon attributes. Misses several marks, however, such as camera and release date. (Presumes this to be you.)

Edit: Found an article on Runemaster.
Locusinn.com wrote:Welcome to developer diary 5 for Runemaster where we focus on combat attributes! As you should know by now, Runemaster will focus on your hero in the quests and on the main map - but when the battle starts, your hero will be moved from the world map and into a battlefield when you encounter enemies. The battles of Runemaster will be turn-based, tactical battles based on a hex grid system. There your Hero joins his/her army and take active part in combat as a unit on the battlefield. And there are several combat attributes that govern how well the character performs during combat.

There will absolutely be more dev diaries describing the combat system later, but for now we’ll give you a quick overview of the combat attributes that all units have:
    Health
    Armor
    Melee damage
    Melee piercing
    Ranged damage
    Ranged piercing
    Range
    Magic damage
    Magic resistance
    Terror
    Discipline
    Movement speed

Cannot imagine realistic item attributes with those on display.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

horza

Postby horza » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 pm UTC

Hey Deva,

You saved me once, somewhere in this thread - I'll always remember that :)

Yea that was my reddit post as well. It's not mount and blade, I've played that and wouldve remembered it.
It seems it's not Runemaster either.

I'm beginning to seriously doubt my memory, however that stats system really impressed me at the time and it stuck in my mind - I remember setting myself to follow that title, but somehow fell off the radar - I presume it never came out...

I'll keep looking, thanks a lot though for confirming it's not Runemaster because that was most confusing :)

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:20 pm UTC

Do you remember the magazine that the article was in?

New User

Postby New User » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:38 am UTC

Sounds like Exanima or Sui Generis, but those are relatively recent games. Sui Generis was never released, and Exanima never made it out of early access and appears to be dead.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 pm UTC

Sounds like a Molyneuxed version of an RPG. I'm not saying that you absolutely couldn't make a worthwhile game using physical stats rather than jumping straight to derived/summary stats for weapons, but without some significant gameplay effect, which may, in turn, require more in-depth mechanics and more complex controls to support them, you're going to see the same effects as having weapon speed, hit chance and damage, but with the actual values obfuscated from the player, and more computational load to get there.

horza

Postby horza » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:04 pm UTC

New User wrote:Sounds like Exanima or Sui Generis, but those are relatively recent games. Sui Generis was never released, and Exanima never made it out of early access and appears to be dead.

They both have the same premise, I think. It might've been a really early promise from one of the makers.

Incidentally - if you look at their gameplay movies, they look like they're the same game so Exanima might be the reborn-into-early-access version of the failed Sui Generis.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:41 am UTC

Yeah they are pretty much the same game. Sui Generis was supposed to be on a wider scale I think, like an open-world kind of game, but Exanima was just a dungeon crawler with the same engine I guess.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:50 pm UTC

Euro board game. Played it around 2013.

It's a card only game, no board, no tokens if I recall correctly.

It involves building inventions in different eras, and you can chain the builds together. I think there were 7 total eras. Inventions were grouped into color codes. You played the horizontally, not vertically, in front of you.

That's about all I remember.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:02 pm UTC

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:04 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Innovation?

Thank you! It's been bugging me for a while, and I just couldn't find the right search terms.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:06 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Deva wrote:Innovation?

Thank you! It's been bugging me for a while, and I just couldn't find the right search terms.

One of my favourite games, I highly recommend it as long as you're prepared for a game that is more about navigating chaos than building a stable engine for incremental progress.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:26 pm UTC

I also highly recommend playing the revised rules for the Great People expansion; it makes the game play out much better than the Echoes rules of "just shuffle some in" did.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:20 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:I also highly recommend playing the revised rules for the Great People expansion; it makes the game play out much better than the Echoes rules of "just shuffle some in" did.

Oh yeah, I think those rules were retconned into newer versions of Echoes too.

(For reference: In the original Echoes rules, you take some number of expansion cards and shuffle those into the base decks. In the revised rules, you use the full piles from each, and keep them separate, and when you draw a card there are conditions under which you draw an Echoes card instead of a base card.)
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:04 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Something made me think of this cyberpunk-ish sourcemod I remember hearing about a while back. the story had something to do with a girl/woman with pyrokinetic abilities, possibly the main character? I'm just wondering if that rings a bell for anybody.

So, funny story. I was spring cleaning my harddrive when I stumbled upon a large multi-part zip with a weird name. Opened it up and discovered a sourcemod called "G-String". That didn't ring any bells, so I searched it up and realized it was this very same sourcemod that I had forgotten the name of and tried to find five years ago. As far as I can tell, I downloaded it way back in 2011, never installed it, forgot the name and that I had actually downloaded it, and somehow it survived 7 years, getting moved from harddrive to harddrive along with a bunch of crap I just never paid any attention to.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

KillerN00B

Postby KillerN00B » Sun May 06, 2018 1:23 am UTC

Background: It is an old tank war game but you dont control the tank. You buy different ones to confront the opponent.

System: IOS, iphone or Ipad

Year: Around 2010-2013

Perspective: Top-down view, cant remember if you played vertically or horizontally.

Art style: Retroistic, with a war flair to it.

Environment: You would play levels and each level would play on a different field.

Genre: It was a strategy game i believe.

Gameplay: You would be on the bottom of the screen and the ai at the top, but you have to scroll to reach him. You would earn money gradually and send different kinds of tanks and to his base. You would also build different towers to defend your area.

Deva

Postby Deva » Mon May 07, 2018 4:43 pm UTC

Z? Will add Gratuitous Tank Battles also, just in case. (Probably did not release it for iOS systems. Feels uncertain.)

Edit: Or Allied Star Police?

Mr214

Postby Mr214 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:21 pm UTC

Hi all
I want the name of a pc game i played between 2000-2005,
The game is a third personal game, the main story of the game is that you get in a jail and they replace your legs with a ball alongside many others. there are many game mode but the objective of the one remember is to push the other players and stay in a marked place for sometime.
Thanks four you time.

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:59 pm UTC

Ball Breakers? Shows the Playstation version. Supposedly released it for Windows too.

Indigesta

Postby Indigesta » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:45 pm UTC

Hi everybody,

I am desperately looking for a videogame I used to play on my PC when I was a kid. It must have been at the end of the 90s or the beginning of the 2000s and I think the game is not much older than that

It was a top-down tile-based puzzle game like Chip's challenge and had several elements in common with this game - the coloured keys and locks, the slides (green in the Chip's challenge pic below), the point of view

- The main character was, well, a white tile with a face

- The bad guys were also tiles - green, blue, red etc. based on what "type" they were. I also remember a special bad guy, which I think was called lava worm or blood worm (but I might have imagined this), made up of 5 bright red circles and running around like a train!

- The background/wall tiles were mostly black and dark blue, if I remember well

- You could fight the bad guys with ammos and with dynamite

- To complete a level you had to kill all enemies, and you had a small map bottom right where you could check if anything was still moving

That's about all I remember...fingers crossed! Thank you!!

https://classicreload.com/sites/default ... llenge.png
http://www.abandonia.com/files/games/41 ... enge_4.png

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 pm UTC

Crusher?

Bit earlier than late 90s - Crusher was late 80s/early 90s, and DOS. Perhaps there was a late 90s version, but you certainly played a white tile with a face, killing other tiles with dynamite, black background, blue walls. Not sure about slides à la Chip's Challenge, though.

I've suggested it before, perhaps one of the other games is similar enough to jog your memory further.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Indigesta

Postby Indigesta » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:38 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Crusher?

That's so close! The game I'm looking for definitely looked more "modern" than this one and you could not see the entire level on your screen (except for the tiny map at the bottom). Googling "crusher videogame" gives completely unrelated results though :(
Thanks anyway Felstaff!:)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:24 am UTC

Indigesta wrote:It was a top-down tile-based puzzle game like Chip's challenge and had several elements in common with this game - the coloured keys and locks, the slides (green in the Chip's challenge pic below), the point of view
Was it definitely graphical, or was it ASCII graphics? I would be tempted to suggest Super ZZT, or possibly Kroz, but neither of those fit the "kill all enemies" criterion.

Indigesta

Postby Indigesta » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Indigesta wrote:It was a top-down tile-based puzzle game like Chip's challenge and had several elements in common with this game - the coloured keys and locks, the slides (green in the Chip's challenge pic below), the point of view
Was it definitely graphical, or was it ASCII graphics? I would be tempted to suggest Super ZZT, or possibly Kroz, but neither of those fit the "kill all enemies" criterion.

It was definitely graphical. Unfortunately it was neither of those games, thanks for trying though! It looked much more recent I'd say.

IvanD

Postby IvanD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:32 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Mentioned that later.
PortgasDMana wrote:No. It was Pacman. I played it around 2003-2004 on the internet.

Like everything else, classic games continue to evolve to new technologies. Now a version VR Pacman has come out, to play with VR Headset. Video of VR Pacman https://tecniteasy.com/vr-box/#VR_Pacman

defenestr4tor

Postby defenestr4tor » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:46 pm UTC

System: pc/dos maybe?
Year: probably early '90s, possibly late '80s to mid '90s
Perspective: Top-down view
Art style: line art, or simple geometric shapes
Environment: space, one big map, no loading screens
Genre: real time, space combat

I am looking for a game I played in my early childhood (born 1983). I will describe the things I remember about the game, but any number of them could be incorrect, I was pretty young at the time I played it, and I might not have understood everything correctly, or I might not remember things correctly.

It was a space combat game, 2D, top down, with simple graphics, maybe line art. The player's ship was a small triangle, planets were circles, I don't remember if the shapes were filled or simply outlines, but I am leaning toward outlines. I don't think the planets moved, but I could be wrong (possibly they orbited a sun). It had very simple controls, I am pretty sure it was played with a keyboard, using the arrow keys. Up to accelerate forward, down to accelerate backward, left/right to turn clockwise/counterclockwise, something to fire weapons, maybe spacebar. It is possible the down arrow did not accelerate backward, that may have been one of the challenges of the game, only being able to brake by turning around and thrusting forward. I remember it used Newtonian physics, you could accelerate for a very long time, no friction, but would instantly die if you ran into anything at speed, and it would take an equally long time to brake.

It may have taken place in a single star system, but maybe not. There may have been a sun at the center of the playable area. There may have been a map/mini map. There were enemies to shoot at, I don't remember a lot about them, I remember your ship shot straight forward. There were some type of upgrades to collect, I think there was a rapid fire upgrade, there may have been a shield upgrade, maybe a homing shot upgrade, possibly others. I think the upgrades were semi-permanent, lasting until death, though they may have been timed, or limited by ammo. I think the upgrades were dropped by enemies, but possibly they were static pickups, or possibly they were purchased with some kind of currency, or they were obtained by claiming planets (see next paragraph).

One aspect of gameplay that stands out was landing on planets (and possibly moons). I remember it was a big deal, you claimed the planet in some way. Maybe it spawned allies, maybe it gave you an upgrade, or gave you a respawn or something. I remember it being one of the hardest things, at least as a child. I remember it being difficult to zero your velocity, because I think you were limited by the controls to only thrust forward and turn cw/ccw. You had to approach a planet slowly, and try to zero your orbital velocity, until you were just moving vertically relative to the planets surface, then you had to slowly let gravity bring you in, thrusting forward to brake. Finally you would land on the back of your ship/triangle. I remember it being very sensitive to your relative speed, especially tangential velocity, failure meant instant death.

It is possible there was a lot more to the game that I did not understand as a child, but this is everything I remember about it. Thanks for any help you can provide in identifying the game.

Deva

Postby Deva » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:23 am UTC

defenestr4tor

Postby defenestr4tor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:10 am UTC

Deva wrote:Gravity Well?

That looks like it, thanks!

Ezio

Postby Ezio » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:28 am UTC

Hi everyone, i can't remember the name of a game i used to play on pc back in 2005-2006 maybe (does not mean that was the year the game came out)
Description of the game : its a 2d game i think, you could choose between characters : i remember oe that could use an arc of with arrows made of ice, anther character that would use flames, and it was like an adventure maybe, i dont really have a lot of details in memory it was like 12 years ago, all i remember is that back then i really liked that game.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:08 am UTC

Ezio wrote:Hi everyone, i can't remember the name of a game i used to play on pc back in 2005-2006 maybe (does not mean that was the year the game came out)
Description of the game : its a 2d game i think, you could choose between characters : i remember oe that could use an arc of with arrows made of ice, anther character that would use flames, and it was like an adventure maybe, i dont really have a lot of details in memory it was like 12 years ago, all i remember is that back then i really liked that game.

2d... how? Top down? Side scroller? Do you remember how he characters looked? Was it a flash game or a stand alone? Was it purchased or downloaded?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

abida

Postby abida » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:50 am UTC

* Background: Played it as a child on a PC
* System: DOS or Windows 3.1
* Year: Around 1992, i think it was before we got an Intel i486 but i`m not sure.
* Perspective: 2d with a view from the top
* Gameplay: The main task was to collect keys. You were walking through levels and had to solve tasks to get to those keys. It was like Adventure for the Atari 2600 but newer with color. The keys were in different color i guess.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 pm UTC

Chip’s Challenge?

The Endless Night?
The Endless Night DOS.png
The Endless Night DOS.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 4568 times

Hogbear?
Hogbear DOS.png
Hogbear DOS.png (2.21 KiB) Viewed 4568 times

Will mention Indenture too, as a game notably similar to Adventure.

Return to “Gaming”