Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby Deva » Thu May 05, 2016 5:38 pm UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:Background: Medieval fantasy / Norse mythology kind of game. I seem to remember mostly exploration but may have been combat as well.
System: PC, probably Windows 95
Year: probably late 1990s
Perspective: pretty sure it was first person
Art style: unsure
Environment: I seem to remember a lot of open space, forests, that sort of thing. Possibly also some cave / underground type areas.
Mood: Exploration
Genre: Adventure
Gameplay: The main thing I remember is that finding rune stones was a pretty big thing. These were large, whitish(?) things with a rune carved or painted on them, I think in red. Also, "The Ride of the Valkyries" featured heavily in the music.

Did you move freely or between screens?

Initial guesses: May or may not contain Norse mythology. Tended not to highlight it. Favored non-adventure games when it did. (Ruled out Greek mythology games, however.) Cross-checked them against "rune" instead. Pops up frequently in fantasy, though.

Lands of Lore 2 or 3, Nemesis: The Wizardry Adventure, Death Gate, or Dragon Lore 2: The Heart of the Dragon Man?

Or Darkstone: Necromina?
Darkstone Necromina.png
Darkstone Necromina.png (127.81 KiB) Viewed 7029 times

(Might not have been released in English. Found very little information. Included it anyways.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon May 09, 2016 6:44 am UTC

Ah! I think it was Ring Cycle. Looks like it was actually a DOS game, from 1995 or 1996. Have to wait till I get home to check it out a bit more but based on the Youtube clip that looks like the one. (So I guess it was German mythology rather than Norse.) Found it through a Google Books search result, which I wouldn't have seen last time I was trying to find it since the book was only published in 2014.

These quotes from the book are very probably accurate but what the heck, that's what nostalgia is for...
By importing the music and icons from the opera, Ring Cycle attempts to bestow a sense of significance on the otherwise unremarkable gameplay.

In the Arxel Tribe Ring games and Ring Cycle, the Wagnerian source and the accompanying music is used as framing for the core gameplay mechanics in order to impart a sense of meaning and monumentality to the activity. Using a famous musical work of indisputable artistic merit lends an air of worthiness to what otherwise might be understood as mere window-dressing to games that would be, in other circumstances, largely unremarkable.

Rogue5_jm

Postby Rogue5_jm » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:41 pm UTC

liveboy21 wrote:Hello, I'm trying to find a game which I remember seeing a friend play, so I may not know enough about it.

* System: PC, web browser
* Year: Possibly early 2000s
* Perspective: Text on web pages
* Environment: I remember large emphasis on magic.
* Genre: Multiplayer. Text based.
* Gameplay: I think you log onto a website every day and you have a wizard cast magic and somehow interact with a larger community. I think the gameplay was something like Utopia.

Sounds like Archmage, which was made by the same people as Utopia, so it could be that.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:03 pm UTC

There was a game for Android a while back that was free. You basically had 6 different colours and had to change the whole square to the same colour by gradually absorbing tiles of the same colour. Does anyone know what I mean? It was free. I think the name might have started with an f but don't know why.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:21 pm UTC

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:39 pm UTC

It was flood-it! Thank you so much, you are a searching monarch!
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

If you have a decent browser and don't really care about "highscores" and "level" progression, you can also play the game at the portable puzzle collection.

FlutterTree

Postby FlutterTree » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

* Background:
* System: xbox or xbox 360
* Year:
* Perspective:
* Art style:
* Environment:
* Mood:
* Genre:
* Gameplay:you controlled 3 people and one of them was a robot i think, you have to do stuff in a certion order like a puzzle game, im not sure if there was combat but i remeber you start off in a little area and you have to go left to turn on something before entering this building

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:53 pm UTC

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, The Cave, Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon, or Dreamfall: The Longest Journey? Will mention Trine too, despite its improbability.

Were all three characters present at once? Could you switch between them at will? Was the robot clearly mechanical, or a human in disguise?

Edit: Or Syberia?

Snarlock

Postby Snarlock » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:55 am UTC

* Background: On vacation in Europe and saw game in the arcades. Wonder if it is available on console!
* System: Arcade
* Year: Approx. 2000
* Perspective: Driving
* Art style: Realistic
* Environment: City setting
* Mood: Emergency setting
* Genre: Arcade Driving
* Gameplay: You controlled an ambulance taking victims of various accidents to hospital. You drove through a city setting and had to avoid traffic both on and incoming traffic. There were different levels to complete. It was time-based.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:25 am UTC

A quick google search for "arcade game ambulance" suggests the game was called Emergency Call Ambulance, which was released by Sega in 1999 and so matches your time frame.

Snarlock

Postby Snarlock » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:44 am UTC

New User wrote:A quick google search for "arcade game ambulance" suggests the game was called Emergency Call Ambulance, which was released by Sega in 1999 and so matches your time frame.

Yeah, that's the one! Feel a little foolish now. Had I added "arcade" to the google search then the game would pop up immediately.
Did you know the game already or did you have to do a google search?

Cannot seem to find any information on a console release so I guess it was only for arcade :( I wonder why. Was it that bad of a game? I guess I don't have a chance to play it now unless I buy an arcade board.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:03 pm UTC

I didn't already know the game. From your description, I imagined it would be like Crazy Taxi, but with an ambulance instead. But wikipedia says it's not quite as crazy, in a bad way.

Snarlock

Postby Snarlock » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:31 pm UTC

New User wrote:From your description, I imagined it would be like Crazy Taxi, but with an ambulance instead. But wikipedia says it's not quite as crazy, in a bad way.

Yeah, googled the game a little further and they claim the game was very static/rigid, meaning that the traffic was always consistent each time you played. The game was ALL about memorization and not much of other skill it seems. Perhaps it was too short lived for a full console release unless they added plenty more stages... Oh well, was at least a good memory.

ShadyAce

Postby ShadyAce » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:05 am UTC

Very vaue memories of the game so the template can't be filled in all the details I have are below.

<l_bratch> so the game in question is a first (and maybe third) person vehicle game
<l_bratch> where you're in a vehicle that transforms between driving and flying
<l_bratch> you need to pick up fuel to fly and it runs out quite quickly
<l_bratch> it was 3D but very old, think DOS 3D
<l_bratch> you needed to fly through a circular (spinning I think) segmented metal tunnel thing in the sky to end each level
<l_bratch> it had big metal recessed pits in the floor with powerups
<l_bratch> the floor was otherwise quite barren
<l_bratch> it had buildings, possibly soldiers on foot, enemy vehicles (I think) and flying monsters (maybe dinosaurs)
<l_bratch> the HUD/vehicle of Descent really reminds me of the first person view of the game in question, but it's definitely not Descent
<l_bratch> so I /think/ that the flying enemies were dinosaurs
<l_bratch> maybe they were pterodactyls
<l_bratch> https://images-4.gog.com/de11035e1889fc ... ot_600.jpg
<l_bratch> for flying mode, that is
<l_bratch> Descent style HUD reminds of the driving, Fury^3/Terminal Velocity style HUD of the flying
<l_bratch> (the HUD convertered as you transformed)
<l_bratch> if everything in 1995 looked like Fury3, then 1995 sounds like a /very/ good guess
<l_bratch> whereas I think this involved ... dinosaurs and maybe foot soldiers too
<l_bratch> because I think it's fair to describe the driving mode as a tank like vehicle
<l_bratch> all I remember about winning is the strange segmented rotating metal thing in the sky
<l_bratch> sounds, I can remember a voice that I could never understand when your shields were low
<l_bratch> it sounded like "shield-ba low"
<l_bratch> whatever that means
<l_bratch> and I think the flying dinosaurs may have made a screeching noise
<l_bratch> the flying mode was definitely more of a "OK we've transformed into a flying machine now" feeling
<l_bratch> and not just a jump

Not (but looks/seems a bit similar to):
Descent, Fury3, Terminal Velocity, Recon

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:24 am UTC

ShadyAce wrote:
Not (but looks/seems a bit similar to):
Descent, Fury3, Terminal Velocity, Recon

At a guess, Metal Rage? Was mainly tank-driving, but had a bit where you can launch a drone up into the sky, giving you a bird's-eye view. Hellbender was a Fury1, 2, 3 sequel, I think. Although that was pure flight, no tank-driving, and the graphics were definitely closer to the late 90s and more advanced than the polygonal masterpieces that we got in the mid 90s. Games I played like Descent were Blam! Machinehead, and G-Police, but those was on PlayStation, and I don't know if it had a DOS/Windows '95 port.

Was it a racing game, at all? As there were literally hundreds of hovertank/floaty racers around the emergence of WipeOut. Zone Raiders, CyberRace, Slipstream 5000, Hi-Octane etc.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

l_bratch

Postby l_bratch » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:57 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:At a guess, Metal Rage? Was mainly tank-driving, but had a bit where you can launch a drone up into the sky, giving you a bird's-eye view. Hellbender was a Fury1, 2, 3 sequel, I think. Although that was pure flight, no tank-driving, and the graphics were definitely closer to the late 90s and more advanced than the polygonal masterpieces that we got in the mid 90s. Games I played like Descent were Blam! Machinehead, and G-Police, but those was on PlayStation, and I don't know if it had a DOS/Windows '95 port.

Was it a racing game, at all? As there were literally hundreds of hovertank/floaty racers around the emergence of WipeOut. Zone Raiders, CyberRace, Slipstream 5000, Hi-Octane etc.
Hello, I'm the person actually looking for this game! Thanks for the reply, although it was none of those.

The flying part was definitely an actual transformation of your vehicle into flying mode, rather than either launching or taking control of a different vehicle. If I recall, the HUD changed when changing between flying/driving in quite a smooth way in that it slid out/in from view as you transformed.

Definitely not a racing game, it was "open world" rather than rails/track/corridor style.

I'm struggling immensely to think of any details not in the list above, but if there's any other aspect I might not have mentioned but may remember, please suggest it!

Thanks again,
l_bratch

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:28 pm UTC

Scorched Planet?
Scorched Planet.png
Scorched Planet.png (79.41 KiB) Viewed 5725 times

(Cannot provide gameplay video. Still searching games, also.)

l_bratch

Postby l_bratch » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:40 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Scorched Planet?
Scorched Planet.png
That's it! My goodness, you have settled many weeks of searching. I'll go in search of a demo now.

Thank you very much!

Edit:
Video found

Kodaskunk

Postby Kodaskunk » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:38 am UTC

* Background: I'll be honest, I don't remember, at all. This is one of my earliest PC memories, and was around the time they were still selling SNES games.
* System: PC 95/98 (?)
* Year: I played it in the late nineties, maybe '98?
* Perspective: First Person
* Art style: The closest I can come to with my memories is... Doom?
* Environment: An underground temple, I remember quite a bit of what happened in it, but not in any particular order. At the start of the game you would fall through a hole, down into an underground temple, fairly standard crap, but everything after falling in was not. There was a golem I think was near the beginning in a pillar filled area that you had to fight with your fists, and you could not progress without beating it. I think. I don't actually remember if you could fight it or if you had to find your way around it. Then I distinctly remember a weird bridge that moved in a pattern very similar to the rolling waves, and vulture like birds that you had to kill otherwise they would knock you down into a sand pit. After that I think I remember some weird platforms on a giant wall that you had to climb, with a pit with some creatures below it. My memories of the game are fragmented, but I've been trying to remember what this game was for nearly 12 years and it's bugging me.
* Mood: I can't really say it had a mood, unless feeling like indiana jones is a mood.
* Genre: I would say... Action/Adventure-ish?
* Gameplay: I'd say it would be considered a very Find-Your-Way-Through-The-Dungeon kind of FPS game. I don't think there were weapons to speak of, In fact I can't even be sure if there were. I just remember there were weird baddies you had to fight, escape from, or generally surpass to progress. And all of them were strange with strange surreal temple type obstacles in the way. Nothing I've seen in Indiana Jones anyways.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:01 pm UTC

Kodaskunk

Postby Kodaskunk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:28 am UTC

Deva wrote:Montezuma's Return?

Thank you so much. This has been bothering me for the longest time. I loved this game. Even though i never got past the first level.

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:00 am UTC

er453r wrote:Wow, I was not aware there could be so much games matching my description... Thanks for the list, but it still not there. Some more details: you could not select the protagonist, I think it was a boy/young man, The graphics looked much better than the ones you listed, more in Discworld1/MonkeyIsland2 style. The thing I remember very vaguely is that the title might have started with "Z" :/

These are probably all long shots but I'll try anyway:
Fable
Vengeance of Excalibur
Dragonsphere

There was also a remake of King's Quest I with better graphics. However, it looks like it started you right at the castle rather than outside the moat. This screenshot is from later in the game.

JadeRae12

Postby JadeRae12 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:33 pm UTC

I'm not sure how active this thread still is, but I have been trying with no avail to figure out the name of an old DOS game that I used to love!

It was basically just the main control panel of a space ship. In the upper right or left of the screen their was a grid that would show your space ship's location, and the location of any other nearby ships or planets. All the commands were text based, you could enter in commands like 'laser a,5' or something similar and your ship would fire it's lasers at location A.5. You could also send a landing party to planets via shuttle or beaming to try and gather resources. I can't remember the name of the evil alien species you were trying to eradicate, but I believe that was the goal of the game.

Let me know if anyone has heard of this game! I miss it!

Thanks!

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:07 am UTC

Sounds like a Star Trek game (or variant).

EGA Trek
EGA Trek.gif

Galactic Encounters
Galactic Encounters.png
Galactic Encounters.png (6.71 KiB) Viewed 5350 times

Star Fleet I: The War Begins
Star Fleet I The War Begins.gif

Begin: A Tactical Starship Simulation
Begin A Tactical Starship Simulation.png

Posted only some. Were the graphics similar or better?

Fun edit note: Felt intimidated at times. Example: Imperial Space Command. Ruled it out.
Imperial Space Command.png
Imperial Space Command.png (8.59 KiB) Viewed 5350 times

er453r

Postby er453r » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:56 am UTC

Bloopy wrote:These are probably all long shots but I'll try anyway:
Fable
Vengeance of Excalibur
Dragonsphere

There was also a remake of King's Quest I with better graphics. However, it looks like it started you right at the castle rather than outside the moat. This screenshot is from later in the game.

Wow. Nice, but not close, sorry :/ I've even contacted my childhood friend, who also remembers playing this game (he owned it at the time ~1993/1994). He does not remember the name, but says it was something along "Zatha" (I remember it this way also, but google returns nothing :/) or "Zathura" or something like this...

Disclaimer: my uncle worked in the computer business at the time (but remembers nothing of this game) and had access to various of-the-shelf software so this may have been something not popular/official :/

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:54 pm UTC

Not Companions of Xanth?

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:45 am UTC

er453r wrote:
Bloopy wrote:These are probably all long shots but I'll try anyway:
Fable
Vengeance of Excalibur
Dragonsphere

Wow. Nice, but not close, sorry :/ I've even contacted my childhood friend, who also remembers playing this game (he owned it at the time ~1993/1994). He does not remember the name, but says it was something along "Zatha" (I remember it this way also, but google returns nothing :/) or "Zathura" or something like this...

Disclaimer: my uncle worked in the computer business at the time (but remembers nothing of this game) and had access to various of-the-shelf software so this may have been something not popular/official :/

This must be it then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAV5OIMA3Jc

Zathura is the movie sequel to Jumanji, and I watched it a few months ago, so it instantly rang a bell.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Koa

Postby Koa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:20 pm UTC

So, what you're saying is er453r guessed the name correctly.

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:51 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:This must be it then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAV5OIMA3Jc

Zathura is the movie sequel to Jumanji, and I watched it a few months ago, so it instantly rang a bell.

That game came out a decade too late. Check the description.

er453r

Postby er453r » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:29 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Not Companions of Xanth?

Nope :/

talcarni

Postby talcarni » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

I remember a game I played when I was young but i cant remember the name, and I tried but i cant find it anywhere.
I remember that in the game you control a walking/rolling round eye, you fight monsters and complete more worlds and places, kind of advanture game. (3d game not 2d, not so old game).
Can someone help me find the game's name? If you know please tell me.
thanks

Deva

Postby Deva » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:21 pm UTC

War of the Monsters?

Do you remember what you played it on?

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:11 am UTC

talcarni

Postby talcarni » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 am UTC

Znirk wrote:Ocular Ink?

Very close! but no. It was more 3d game you were so close. Maybe you have another idea?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:25 am UTC

My riddle from Page 30 has been solved at last. I feel obliged to post about it rather than being a Denver Coder.

Jorpho wrote:* Background: A game from elementary school.
* System: Apple IIe
* Year: Late 80's early 90's.
* Perspective: 2D overhead
* Art style: Extremely basic

This was an educational game that literally consisted of nothing more than wandering through a maze. You were allowed to take one navigational aid with you. Taking muddy boots would mean you would leave a set of footprints as you moved from room to room, while taking a ball of yarn would depict your character as a ball of yarn. Taking a map or a piece of chalk would show your character in its true form: a mouse. Different skill levels were available; one of them would award you the title of "Knight of Cheddar" when you completed the maze.

I believe the game was on the same disk as another one involving bees. You would be shown a couple of different patterns of bees, and then be instructed to input a set of symbols. You would then see how the bees react to that set of symbols. The idea was of course to find the set of symbols that would cause the bees to react according to the pattern you were originally shown.
Behold! MECC's "Mind Puzzles", featuring Mazes of Rodentia and Queen Bee of Menta, two phrases otherwise profoundly underrepresented on the Googles.
https://archive.org/details/MECC-A780_Mind_Puzzles_v1.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=ja&gl= ... tS5E1xr71I

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:13 am UTC

Remembered that well.

Titled it quite generically. Understands its obscurity better.

ropedoff

Postby ropedoff » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:26 am UTC

* Background: A unique game that came preinstalled on a home PC. Challenging gameplay made even more so (as a non-German) by its German text.
* System: PC DOS
* Year: Played early-mid 90s
* Perspective: Side view 2D platform.
* Art style: Very limited palette, primarily dark green/white/black, no/little primary colors. Rich and realistic despite that, pro-quality art (this is roughly indicative)
* Environment: Set in jungle/swamp terrain. Futuristic overtones (characters are robotic).
* Mood: Bleak, dystopian, survivalist.
* Genre: Screen-based action puzzle platformer
* Gameplay:
- Player is a robotic character that can change into one of three forms: dinosaur (raptor), small robot, humanoid.
- - - Relatively large sprite (~1/3 of screen).
- - - Robot is basically a rectangle on wheels/tracks, about half the size of the other two
- Each form has different movement and attack capabilities:
- - - Dino shoots fire from mouth (large flame, 45° down and forward) and tip of tail (small flame, turns 180° to use forwards and then turns back), both a localized, single burst (not traveling fireballs)
- - - Robot shoots projectile/s (gun/rocket?), rolls slowly, can't scale platforms
- - - Humanoid jumps, scales platforms, can't remember attack
- Attacks limited to once per screen: you can use all attacks for all forms, but only once.
- Fixed screen, exits off left and right sides only.
- Enemies: I only remember a wasp swarm from a nest and a rodent (defeated w/dino's tail flame). Possibly other robots?
- Only a few enemies per screen (<5, usually only 1 or 2)
- Each screen is basically a set piece; you work out what form and attack to use where and when
- Rudimentary platforming, one or two jumps per screen.
- Vague memories:
- - - All forms can be used, but only once per screen.
- - - Screen resets if exited before being completed.
- - - Diverse set of enemies, little reuse.
- - - Enemy attacks are player triggered (no visual indication - either proximity or floor triggers) and identically consistent between retires
- - - Regular story text (in German)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:06 am UTC

ropedoff wrote:
- Player is a robotic character that can change into one of three forms: dinosaur (raptor), small robot, humanoid.

Metal Mutant.

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ropedoff

Postby ropedoff » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:17 am UTC

And there it is. Thanks, most appreciated. It's fascinating to see the Chinese whispers effect on remembered details after so many years (was 100% certain attacks were limited to once per screen).

Return to “Gaming”